Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Street Experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 16:08   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Cop runs away with the License!

Hi,

Check this site for the documents to carry, offences and fines, atleast in Pune :

Pune Traffic Police

You need to carry your original license, but duplicates of all other papers are sufficient.

Also, do NOT hand over any documents to the cop. You are well within your rights to keep them in your hand, while clearly showing the documents.

If the cop so much as tries to take your keys, threaten to sue him for trying to illegally snatch / steal / confiscate your property.

If you feel you are in the right, tell the cop to send you a court notice - the cop in question is also required to attend the hearing and will generally try to avoid this route. Make sure that he sees you clicking his pic, noting his badge number and so on and threaten that you will make his life hell legally for troubling you.

Also, if you have time, just waste a lot of it - the cop normally has other victims to extort from and hence will let you go.

BUT, if it is your mistake, say sorry, pay the fine and take home a receipt as a souvenir!
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 7th January 2013, 16:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is pure extortion, seeing that you guys were young and vulnerable to these accusations. First thing in these situations is not to get scared and more importantly do not get offensive with the cop even if you feel what he is doing is wrong.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 18:22   #18
BHPian

Post Re: Cop runs away with the License!

A very unfortunate incident carzone and sorry you had to be at the end of it. It is absolute rubbish on the cop's part to vanish with your license without so much as an explanation!

It is generally fruitless to argue with the cops once you're pulled over for an "alleged" offense. On a different note though, usually a submissive approach works. Tactfully but assertively telling the cop that you disagree with his view. However you are always walking that fine line there. Especially when some folks cross it and tend to get aggressive with the guys in uniform, often suggesting that they know more about the law than the cops themselves and you will notice how things will begin to quickly go downhill from there. I'm assuming nothing of the sort ensued in your case. Whatever may be the case, this is exploiting the vulnerability of the situation/people with a pure view to extort. Make no mistake.

However that being said, it is absolutely unjustifiable behavior on his part to walk away with your license. The intention here is harassment and extorting money - nothing else. Please make sure you report this matter to the authorities. Policemen are supposed to uphold the law, not twist it to hold the citizenry to ransom!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 7th January 2013 at 18:27.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 19:03   #19
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Contest it. You have proof via your mobile phone bill that your phone wasn't used at that time.

2. Complain to the higher authorities via a formal letter. I urge you to bring this episode to their notice.
Thanks GTO. I have a prepaid mobile phone but do have a complete call list. I guess it won't work as he was just not ready to listen my argument. I am thinking over the second point though. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If the cop demands the DL, you can delay it by asking him the reason for stoppage. If you are geniunely wronged then handover without delay. If you are not, then show him that you do have the DL and will provide the details once you are confirmed that you are wronged. As long as you are not proved gulity - You are innocent. if the cops are adamant, then ask them for the challan and read out the DL number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Never ever give your original license to cops, it is not required by law unless you are involved in a serious incident.
It is always best to carry a color xerox copy and laminate it. It will look like original license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Always keep an attested copy ready. Another way is to laminate a scanned copy and keep it handy. It is quite right that the cop was trying to extort money from you.
Thank you. Point noted. Maybe, as I was too shocked by his statement, and there have not been many occurrences like this, prompted me to hand him over all the documents at a go. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
He said that my phone is black! Well, majority of phones are black!
Another example of extortion. That was a stupid statement by the cop. On a lighter note, time to get a coloured phone, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Instinct prmpted me to just walk away from the scene ignoring the HOWLS n GROWLS of the monkeys in uniform. And I did that. The SI stood there aghast while the "chela" cop tried threatening me by standing in front of my car and acting as though he's taking note of my number plate.
You need a lot of guts for doing what you did. Theres always a danger of he hitting your vehicle with a stick or so or following you on a bike and then charging you from running away from a cop. I have seen them hit many rickshaws like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
Discussing politely in the local language is of great help most of the times. I have been let off couple of times using it ( they caught me for keeping sunfilm, I removed it last weekend).
I do understand marathi, but I am not fluent using it. I can speak, but words might fail me, hence refrained from using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
**A long but important and hopefully, a useful post**

Cheers.
Really noteworthy points. Thanks a ton ironshark. Will be spreading this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
My modus operandi, if flagged down, I pull over, wait in my car, he stopped me, he comes to me, and when he does walk over, I roll down the window and "Hello Officer, how may I help you today". I speak to him only in English till he fumbles, then I switch to Marathi.

Only Rule I follow, NEVER Argue, he meets tonnes of such blokes all day, these cops cant handle someone who is unafraid of them and still nice to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Especially when some folks cross it and tend to get aggressive with the guys in uniform, often suggesting that they know more about the law than the cops themselves and you will notice how things will begin to quickly go downhill from there. I'm assuming nothing of the sort ensued in your case. Whatever may be the case, this is exploiting the vulnerability of the situation/people with a pure view to extort. Make no mistake.
I think the tone in which I told him that I did not use a phone might have offended him, because that was the first statement I said. After that, it was me listening and he speaking. I tried to be nice to him, but it was like a pig fight where he was enjoying.

A big thanks to ghodlur for providing the fine's list, its going to help many. I myself thought about the fine to be rs. 100, but was to scared or maybe shocked to argue or even state the fine.

A big thank you to all of you for pouring in with your valuable suggestions. I hope no one else faces such a situation and might this be a learning experience for many.

1 more question raises in my mind here, what are the documents to be carried along when you drive a vehicle. One when a friend was stopped, a cop promptly told the following documents:

Driving License: Original
Insurance: photocopy
RC book: photocopy
PUC: Original

These were told to me by a cop himself. But then too, this guy questions me for not carrying the original RC book. When I tell him that a cop told me the above, he did not reply to it.
Does anyone has some info? Sorry if I have missed it if already posted!

Edit:
Just saw this posted by keyur on this very thread! Stupid of me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Hi,

Check this site for the documents to carry, offences and fines, atleast in Pune :

Pune Traffic Police

You need to carry your original license, but duplicates of all other papers are sufficient.

Also, do NOT hand over any documents to the cop. You are well within your rights to keep them in your hand, while clearly showing the documents.

If the cop so much as tries to take your keys, threaten to sue him for trying to illegally snatch / steal / confiscate your property.

If you feel you are in the right, tell the cop to send you a court notice - the cop in question is also required to attend the hearing and will generally try to avoid this route. Make sure that he sees you clicking his pic, noting his badge number and so on and threaten that you will make his life hell legally for troubling you.

Also, if you have time, just waste a lot of it - the cop normally has other victims to extort from and hence will let you go.

BUT, if it is your mistake, say sorry, pay the fine and take home a receipt as a souvenir!
If it was my mistake, i would have readily paid the fine.

Once it happened that I was to turn right at a signal. It was that the signal for right turn turns off without turning to amber and I didn't know that. While I was just at the intersection, the signal goes off directly from green and if I would have applied brakes, it would have taken me in the line of oncoming traffic (braking distance), so I decided to carry on. Just then, a cop stops me ant tells that I have jumped a signal. I promptly pay the fine as I knew I was partially wrong in making a decision. The cop was a nice guy and all was done in a matter of some minutes.

Quoting from the website:

Quote:
You must produce following valid document in original if demanded by police officer in uniform or an officer from motor vehicle dept.

Valid Driving License

Proof of valid certificate of registration

Proof of valid certificate of insurance

Proof of tax payment

Fitness certificate Pollution Under Control (P.U.C) certificate Insurance cover note, tax payment receipt and renewal of registration certificate (if required) are valid evidence.

Photocopy copies of the original documents attested by a gazetted officer are also acceptable.

However if the demanding authority wants to see the original documents, the owner must produce them within 15 days.

A photocopy copy of the driving license is not acceptable

Last edited by carzone : 7th January 2013 at 19:10.
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 19:44   #20
BHPian

Something similar to what I faced.

This was in Bangalore. I was going to Star Bazaar with a friend of mine on my bike when the cop pulled me over just in front of Forum Mall. On asking the reason, he said faulty number plate. It is a new bike, wonder how the number plate got faulty. It is a default number plate with default font.

It is an FZ-S so the number plate is attached to the Dome. The cop charges me 500rs for faulty number plate. I said the fine is 100rs and I can prove it. The cop got agitated and asked me not to teach him rules. Unfortunately the pathetic 3G was not working on my mobile for me to show him the fine amount.

He entered the amount in his blackberry and printed out a challan for 500rs. I denied to sign on the challan which pissed him off completely. He simply took my DL and drove off. I overtook him and said "ok currupt cop, you win. Now hand me over my DL and take the amount and spare me".
This guy is now not even accepting the fine. I did not feel it was worth begging in front of such an idiot and left without my DL.

I had the receipt in which they had asked me to come to the RTO after 7 days. I went and the officer in the RTO gave me this corrupt cop's mobile number. Asks me to meet him as the DL is still with him. Oh my God, not again.
I called this cop and by this time probably he had cooled down and called me in front of forum mall again.

Made me wait for an hour and asked me to come in the evening.
Fine, I left and came back in the evening. Paid him 500 bucks and released my DL.
Went home and washed it with some dettol.
Googleman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 06:26   #21
BHPian

I am from Chennai and i think the cops here are are more polite. Every one in Chennai only carry copies of DL and all other documents but not the original unless you are involved in major accident where you are asked to produce the original in the Station.

First, there is as a provision in the law which states you can pay the fine in the court if you don't have the required money to pay the fine immediately.

Secondly, you can contest in the court if you are wrongfully fined in which case the policeman is bound to show the evidence that you have made an offense.

Third, there is no provision in the law which states a policeman on duty can confiscate your DL or Keys of your vehicle this is a gross violation of his duty for which if proven by a citizen he can be punished for his misuse of powers.

Fourth, only an officer in the rank of Sub Inspector with two star and above can stop a vehicle and demand documents all other lower rank guys is only authorized to note the No. of the vehicle which has committed an offense and issue a challan by post.

My sincere advice to young drivers is do not get tensed while stopped by a cop be bold and know your rights and traffic laws this will definitely help you.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 8th January 2013 at 06:32.
sathyaprakash is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 12:46   #22
BHPian

I carry only copies with me unless I am doing long trips. If questioned, I can always ask him to run DL/RC number with Traffic/RTA department. This may not be a good idea but it gives the cop an idea that I am aware of how things work. A copy just works fine here in Hyderabad and I have never been asked to produce original DL/RC.
Farukh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 13:55   #23
BHPian

Well, I don't remember where I read this, but when stopped, I only roll down my window about 1-1.5 inch and ask the police officer why I've been stopped. This is great to prevent them from putting their hand or head inside and looking in the car or smelling you. I take it as a breach of personal space. If they need documents I pass them through the gap one by one as they ask for them. In fact with the removal of tints, I'm sure most of us can just hold the document against the glass and let them read it that way.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 14:38   #24
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Chennai cops are indeed very polite.

My dad had suffered an accident three years back and the traffic constable had taken away my dad's scooter to the local police station. After my dad was stable, i went to the police station and got back the scooter after paying the necessary "statutory" requirements. In the event, i thanked the cop and got his mobile number.

Many months after the incident, i was once caught by a cop for so-called "red-light violation". He was ruthless and demanded 1500 Rs. as fine. I immediately called the constable i knew through my dad's accident and made him speak to this ruthless cop. He let me off with a 50 buck tip.

IMHO, the best thing to do is to befriend any traffic police (near your house, your office) and get his mobile number. A cop speaking to another cop cools things down very very quickly and you can get away pretty fast.

Beware: With "Amma" in power in TN, dropping names of politicians do not work with the cops. Two days back, i was waiting at a long signal and a guy who was caught by the cop had the following argument.

Cop: Park the bike on the side and bring your licence.
Biker : Do you know who i am? I will call my uncle who is a MLA
Cop : Call your uncle MLA and i will call the CM (Amma)
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 11:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Something similar to what I faced.
That is what I wanted to avoid. I knew I would have been taken for a ride if I had argued more and hence decided to call up uncle and settle the issue then and there. Hope the scenario improves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
I am from Chennai and i think the cops here are are more polite. Every one in Chennai only carry copies of DL and all other documents but not the original unless you are involved in major accident where you are asked to produce the original in the Station.

Secondly, you can contest in the court if you are wrongfully fined in which case the policeman is bound to show the evidence that you have made an offense.

My sincere advice to young drivers is do not get tensed while stopped by a cop be bold and know your rights and traffic laws this will definitely help you.
Good to hear that folks down south are polite and understanding, hope the cops here get something to learn from them.

Have heard from friends that if you utter a word in the court against the policeman, the fine doubles. Have never ever experienced it though.

We do tend to get tensed when a cop stops us and that does work in favour of the cop. Need to stay calm and know my rights the next time(hope there is no next time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

Beware: With "Amma" in power in TN, dropping names of politicians do not work with the cops. Two days back, i was waiting at a long signal and a guy who was caught by the cop had the following argument.

Cop: Park the bike on the side and bring your licence.
Biker : Do you know who i am? I will call my uncle who is a MLA
Cop : Call your uncle MLA and i will call the CM (Amma)
Thats nice to hear that no influence is working there. It should be the same everywhere.
But, then there comes the question, what if you have not committed the mistake and cop wrongly fines you. If you have committed the offense, the person, be it me, should be ready to pay the fine.
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 14:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Very true.

Recently, was coming out of MAA airport (had gone to drop off a relative ).
Just while exiting the airport a cop (a traffic constable stopped me) and asked me to park by the side. Which I did so and then turned on my hazards. I wear my seat belt from engine start-stop religiously.
The conversation goes like this:

Constable: Sir, your number plate format is wrong.

Myself: Is that so, I was told that this is approved by the RTO.

Constable: Can I have your license ?

So I give him the true color copy of my license.

The constable goes and hands over the copy to an SI nearby. I was waiting near my car. The constable comes back and says "Saar wants to have a word with you."

So I go up to the SI and bring in an confident "Good Morning Officer" and to
my surprise he acknowledges me back and says "Sir, I see you are following rules and using correct signals. You have not been fined before either but your number plate format is wrong so I ll have to fine you 100Rs."

To which I replied "Sir, I honestly had no Idea that the number plate format was wrong, I will ensure I change it at the earliest."

He proceeded to go ahead and fine and asked me what I do.

When I told him I fly for a living. He paused and said " What sir, you have so much responsibility, I dont want to fine you so please change your number plate immediately."

And let me go..!!

My job saved my ***. And for the record I am exactly in the middle of my 20s.

Last edited by BoeingDriver : 10th January 2013 at 14:23. Reason: Added a bit more masala.
BoeingDriver is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 16:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Very true.

To which I replied "Sir, I honestly had no Idea that the number plate format was wrong, I will ensure I change it at the earliest."
Quite but just wanted to know, what was wrong with your number plate?
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote