Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2016, 15:55   #181
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,252
Thanked: 10,511 Times
Default Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Notorious tempo travellers have achieved a new low in Bangalore, one such driver bit off the ear of another driver and swallowed it
On a weekday, try taking the elevated road sharp at 2115, 2215, 2315 and 0015. In other words, wait at the booth till you see a beeline of TTs entering this tolled road and then start driving ahead.

You will encounter some of the most dangerous driving you can think of by these sub-standard ruffian drivers, all in presence of sleeping employees inside hooked onto their headphones.

I have watched them when I used to leave work after 9PM for the past 4 years and it taught me few things including the fact that I should leave 15 minutes before these cabs leave from EC.

Honestly, this article didn't surprise me at all - Their behavior is atrocious since almost a decade now and will get worse.

The same drivers on a weekend drive anywhere outside Bangalore will also behave in similar manner - Honking away to glory, not giving way, high beams and flashing unnecessarily, over speeding and cutting you off - They are so used to this on everyday basis that I see no amount of education change their driving habits.

So if you are on a Highway drive from Bangalore and there's a yellow board displaying these traits, he will mostly be from Bangalore - Take a bet! They are the most frustrated lot to who rules don't mean anything.

All that we can do is change our timings....

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th October 2016 at 15:58.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 16:12   #182
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 4,961 Times
Default Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
All that we can do is change our timings....
Exactly. If you get stuck in a swarm of cabs from a company when its their departure time, its better to stop, let those morons rush ahead and then go behind them. Its evident that they cant go anywhere further, yet they start competing against each other, cutting each other, or other company cabs and so on. Many a times I notice that though we are in crawling traffic, there is this TT behind flashing lights to glory.

Have to say this but, in the last one year, I have seen the rage actually coming down. Its either some sort of awareness, or they have got bored of stuff with fused lights every now and then Not all cabs do this now, and there are a few random morons who still have the habit of honking and lights. And I bet one of these ended up in the fight and went to the extent of biting someone else.

Road rage with these people? Never, unless they have inflicted some sort of damage. Else there is no point in getting past them, yelling at them and so on. As long as the sleeping employees inside dont give a damn about their own safety, why should we, so just let them zip past and go somewhere.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 18:49   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,304
Thanked: 2,712 Times
Default Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Bit his ear and swallowed it!

Biting is one thing and swallowing it is another.
I can't imagine if it was a private vehicle, probably he would have chewed his head off.
We are heading back to stone ages. The circle is complete, nothing else I can say.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 09:11   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,895
Thanked: 1,942 Times
Default Techie stabbed in Pune because he objected to someone driving on the wrong side

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57622491.cms

Looks like some goon driving a bike down the wrong side of the road brushed this guy's vehicle, so he stopped to argue. The goon stabbed him several times including in the chest, slashing a lung, and fled.
hserus is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 09:18   #185
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,623 Times
Default Re: Techie stabbed in Pune because he objected to someone driving on the wrong side

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57622491.cms

Looks like some goon driving a bike down the wrong side of the road brushed this guy's vehicle, so he stopped to argue. The goon stabbed him several times including in the chest, slashing a lung, and fled.
Sorry state of affairs. Sad but true. This is the reason I always adhere to the concept of self preservation. Lots of members on the forum and many others on Youtube etc. take pride in educating/confronting these morons on the roads. But the reality is that there is not much to be achieved out of it. There are just too many of these low life imbeciles out there to risk your life and health for a few thousand rupees.
drmohitg is online now   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 09:27   #186
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 2,961 Times
Default Re: Techie stabbed in Pune because he objected to someone driving on the wrong side

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Looks like some goon driving a bike down the wrong side of the road brushed this guy's vehicle, so he stopped to argue. The goon stabbed him several times including in the chest, slashing a lung, and fled.
I've said it always, India is a land of two extremes.. people who do right but cant defend themselves and those who do wrong and do everything possible to not only defend themselves but also hurt or "take-care" of people who question their rampage. Zero cop enforcement of traffic rules other than to casually flag down motorists who are simply going their ways is a big reason, sure cops can check anyone they please but COME ON!!

I've seen all of the below in Bangalore traffic:
1) Going against one-way in a bike and brushing parked cars while at it.
2) Going on the footpath in a bike and brushing people while at it.
3) Casually whistling and going against a red signal giving a few people the scare of a lifetime.
4) Wheelies and stoppies in major traffic zones.
5) ALL either underaged/no helmet/Swiggy food delivery.

If anyone can tell me one reason why all the above offenses aren't worth a years jail time/complete license cancellation/hefty penalty then I don't know if our nation can improve at all. In America they'd have rounded them up easily like felons and thrown them in the slammer in no time.

Also, keep a non-lethal weapon in the car.. I have pepper-spray handy, if anyone tries to open the car door or window forcibly to cause harm I'll simply empty the entire can on their face and leave the spot happily whistling. Also those with malice and bad intentions can never change, don't waste your time preaching and taunting them, this is coming from me who has gotten out more than a couple of times to argue and face-off, that has not been me for the past 2-3 years, its a newer, more violent India now, get the ding/scratch/tear, move on, repair it, and sleep, a car is a mere object and there are about 7 billion other reasons why the earth is going bad now.
dark.knight is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 09:29   #187
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Jalandhar
Posts: 11
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

It is true. Nothing is to be achieved out of educating these morons. Right from childhood days they have seen their parents doing the same thing and they believe it is the right thing to do.
We may end up wasting our time for no gains and finally cry it as sour grapes. On the contrary, as said, self preservation is the key to survival.
Victor-whiskey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 09:34   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,445
Thanked: 837 Times
Default Re: Techie stabbed in Pune because he objected to someone driving on the wrong side

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Lots of members on the forum and many others on Youtube etc. take pride in educating/confronting these morons on the roads. But the reality is that there is not much to be achieved out of it.
True. The other person must be in right state of mind to receive the education. Secondly, he already has the education and he has chosen to ignore it. Who wouldn't know the one-way rule? It is like the case of waking up someone who is pretending to sleep.

It is the job of traffic police to maintain discipline and compliance to rules on roads. Looking at the state of traffic on our roads, they are failing at their job.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 09:35   #189
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 84
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Techie stabbed in Pune because he objected to someone driving on the wrong side

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But the reality is that there is not much to be achieved out of it. There are just too many of these low life imbeciles out there to risk your life and health for a few thousand rupees.
Pune is seeing increasing number of incidents like these. A year ago, same thing happened to a colleague of mine, when he wanted to enter the office gate some local goon brushed his car. When he tried to confront the guy, they started beating him and moreover the security guards did not intervene to help him.

Apart from that, I see many people not following traffic rules. Driving on wrong side is just one of them. Many times these goons (people with RE bullet with modified silencers, KTM Duke, etc) look at me angrily whenever I'm on a traffic signal and waiting for it to go green, just because they don't want to wait behind me and they want to break the signal!
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 10:43   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Default Re: Techie stabbed in Pune because he objected to someone driving on the wrong side

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
There are just too many of these low life imbeciles out there to risk your life and health for a few thousand rupees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I've said it always, India is a land of two extremes.. people who do right but cant defend themselves and those who do wrong and do everything possible to not only defend themselves but also hurt or "take-care" of people who question their rampage.
Well said, bitter truth. There seems to be certain pride people take after doing wrong, wonder from where the attitude comes from. Wrong side menace is old now and people rampantly go on wrong side. And often a gang forms without any logic to defend. This is where "might is right" proves its dominance over anything else. Certainly, things are getting out of control pretty quick and with fatal outcomes.

I have faced these kind of individuals a lot of times, and even school students with geared vehicles behave erratically.

Best is, dont react, stay calm and never ever argue. Tough to implement and easier to chip in, but thats the change I am trying to bring into myself. Have observed that a mere overtaking has people's ego flaring on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Pune is seeing increasing number of incidents like these.
Its all over India : Link Happened in Vadodara around 2 years ago. Recently on my Expresssway drive, if somebody behind me had to brake even slightly, horns would blare. When I accelerate, those who generously used horn are nowhere to be seen. Insensitive, self-centered is the way people drive in India. Shows a very bad culture that is cultivated in our nation.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th March 2017 at 10:55.
aaggoswami is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 10:55   #191
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Varkala
Posts: 1,125
Thanked: 614 Times
Default Re: Techie stabbed in Pune because he objected to someone driving on the wrong side

Time to launch a set of T-BHP knives?

On a serious note (this is a serious incident) violence is part and parcel of life, and keeping a Mahatma-like approach will make you very vulnerable. In my experience, in Kerala, wearing a white Dhoti and white shirt -instead of Levis and Addidas sneakers- will instantly make people think twice before crossing lines with you.

The truth is, 95% daredevils who you encounter on road in India are cowards.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 11:25   #192
BHPian
 
pratyush6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: RNC - BLR
Posts: 484
Thanked: 541 Times
Default Re: Techie stabbed in Pune because he objected to someone driving on the wrong side

The Police is busy towing vehicles and getting their towing and non parking targets achieved with bonuses, why care for the law abiding citizen being stabbed to death?

That comment may sound harsh, but my trust in authorities is dropping by the day. I see this every single day. Honestly, guys, there is no virtue is being a hero on the road, there are far too many nut-jobs on the road. It's better to take care of yourself for your family, than educating anyone else. A brushed car, a bent fender or a bruised ego is better than a stab wound.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 14th March 2017 at 11:54.
pratyush6 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 12:14   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 1,177 Times
Default Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Here's a real incident that happened to a colleague of mine some 5 years back in Delhi. He was driving his brand new car when he stopped at a signal. Two drunk guys on a bike came and hit his stationary car from the rear.

My colleague walked out to understand the damage; and within seconds the guys started bashing him up. From what he told me, there wasn't even a verbal argument; his initial reaction just was enough for them to get incited.

Result? A bumper with scratches, and a broken arm. No police inquiry or arrests. He decided to keep it so and be the 'wiser' man.

Last edited by noopster : 14th March 2017 at 14:23. Reason: Please check PM
ninjatalli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 16:50   #194
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,623 Times
Default Re: Techie stabbed in Pune because he objected to someone driving on the wrong side

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
On a serious note (this is a serious incident) violence is part and parcel of life, and keeping a Mahatma-like approach will make you very vulnerable. In my experience, in Kerala, wearing a white Dhoti and white shirt -instead of Levis and Addidas sneakers- will instantly make people think twice before crossing lines with you.

The truth is, 95% daredevils who you encounter on road in India are cowards.
Sorry I disagree on two counts with you.

1. What about the remaining 5%? There is no way to identify which group the offender belongs to. Is your life worth gambling over that fact? And then for what?

2. The larger question that I fail to understand is that even if it is a cowardly white collared common man who is the offender. What is achieved out of this argument? The legal way is that you claim damages from his Insurance. Do you see yourself going for that option for a few thousand rupees? If not, then there are only 2 outcomes left:

a: You guys get into an argument and in the process increase your stress level, your blood pressure, the offender's and everyone else behind who are stuck in that traffic snarl caused as a result of your argument. After arguing for a few minutes, you leave the scene with no one getting wiser and get your car fixed from your own money. The offender too in all likelihood continue to drive the same way ignoring the knowledge that you bestowed upon him.

b: You threaten the offender, physically abuse him or intimidate him into coughing up money for your damages. If that is true, then technically you are on the wrong side of the law and of this thread too! A role reversal has taken place and you have become the aggressor with all the things mentioned in this thread applicable on you now. Is it worth for a few thousand rupees?
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 19:33   #195
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,255
Thanked: 1,441 Times
Default Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

A piece of advice for anyone looking to confront drivers & riders on the wrong side of the road: DON'T.

In our country, driving on the wrong side of the road is not explicitly called out as a violation/offence.

See this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4032241 (Let's know the law (Motor Vehicles Act))

So, the "goons" as you call them, who drive/ride on the wrong side of the road, are just exploiting a legal grey area. Standard operating procedure for 99% of the population of this fair nation.

So take a chill pill, take a deep breath, "adjust", and carry on.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road rage confession abhi182 Street Experiences 495 13th November 2017 10:25
How much will you pay for a collision avoidance system and other systems vina The Indian Car Scene 41 6th February 2017 21:13
Road Rage : Me v/s SLK 230 DCEite Street Experiences 33 19th July 2007 17:58
Road Rage kgc_cool Shifting gears 13 16th March 2006 17:07
UPDATE: Road situation - Mumbai / Pune (Aug 4) salil_kulkarni The Indian Car Scene 8 13th August 2004 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks