Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th March 2013, 12:58   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default India’s 100 Best Destinations - A Book by Bob Rupani

India’s 100 Best Destinations - A Book by Bob Rupani-indias-100-best-destinations-book-cover-image_resized.jpg

Bob is a Senior car journalist, having started with the Indian Auto Journal in '86. Those who have been following the car scene for long will remember his souped-up Maruti Gypsy in several travelogues from car mags of the eighties & nineties. He has also authored the book "Driving Holidays in India", along with two others on classic cars.

Bob & VW have just released a new book titled India’s 100 Best Destinations. The list is neatly categorised (e.g. North-East locations, Central India, the Western Part, South etc.) and uses colour codes for destinations (e.g. green for mountains, red for heritage, blue for coastal etc.). Each suggested destination has background information, pictures, how to get there, tips etc.

India’s 100 Best Destinations - A Book by Bob Rupani-dsc_0328-custom_resized.jpg

India’s 100 Best Destinations - A Book by Bob Rupani-hampi-pages_resized.jpg

India’s 100 Best Destinations - A Book by Bob Rupani-andaman_resized.jpg
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 16:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: India’s 100 Best Destinations - A Book by Bob Rupani

Has anyone read thos book or at least browsed through it?

I am planning to buy it. It is avaiable only at Rediff.com and NOT available at any stores like Crosswords.

I want to know whether it is a text only book or is it supplemented with pictures
Also want to know how much coverage is given to south india. I am intersted in destinations around chennai

Thank you
Bharath
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 15:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

I took the plunge and purchased his book. Just have ordered it online. It is expected on Monday. I will read it and post a review here :-)
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 07:44   #4
BHPian

Hey Bharath,

GTO's post actually has pictures, unless I am mistaken.

I am on a mobile device, but I see pictures of Hampi and Andamans?

So I think the book does, indeed have pictures. But yes, a review from you should help!

Regards
Ayan
afunnynut is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 22:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by afunnynut View Post
Hey Bharath,

GTO's post actually has pictures, unless I am mistaken.

I am on a mobile device, but I see pictures of Hampi and Andamans?

So I think the book does, indeed have pictures. But yes, a review from you should help!

Regards
Ayan
Hey - sorry for the delay - I did a good read of it and have mixed feelings/reactions about the book

Positives:
  • Pictures are superb
  • Write-up is crisp
  • Information provided is accurate and doable by anyone
  • Print quality is good and the book is as big as any coffee table book
  • Good and must try cuisines are suggested

Negatives:
  • Places to stay suggestions are only Taj/Radisson and other high end hotels. Not at all affordable to common man. It Is logic that Taj would be good anytime. More affordable places should have been suggested.
  • This book is released by Volkswagen. There is NO mention of VW other than approximately five (in total) of Polo, Vento and Touareg
  • Only flight information is provided to reach places. Road routes are NOT provided

Last edited by scopriobharath : 25th December 2013 at 23:00.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote