Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 26th March 2013, 15:33   #16
BHPian

Good thread!

How about a road divider in an underpass that crops up suddenly one night and starts at the least expected of places. If your car has a high dashboard contour, god save you

Also a hump in an underpass. Newly laid black top road camoflagues the hump and guess what... No streetlights too!

BTW, both of the above in panathur underpass in blr until recently!

Last edited by chakri400 : 26th March 2013 at 15:35.
chakri400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 15:58   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Bad Road Design : Things to watch out for

* Medians with too high vegetation (and no railings) on city roads. They obstruct visibility of the other side of the road, which can be dangerous in case there are gaps in the median and also increases the risk of pedestrians appearing from nowhere in front of the vehicle.
Note: I understand that it can also be helpful while driving at night because it saves you from the glare of the headlights of the oncoming vehicles, but the risks are far greater.

* Stop lines painted at a point too far behind the appropriate spot. I mean: what, do you really expect me to stop before that stop line and get incessant honkings from behind?

* Barricades put up mindlessly by the Police just after a turn. These pose a grave accident risk for someone who does not know about their presence and takes the turn at a high speed.

* Stupid and mindless "gates" proclaiming some local politician's name consuming valuable space on road.

Last edited by powerwidFE : 26th March 2013 at 16:18. Reason: typos
powerwidFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 18:09   #18
BHPian

An example of how footpath should be merged with the road. Snapshot taken on my recent visit to Milan.
Bad Road Design : Things to watch out for-dsc_0139.jpg
ATTACH]1066597[/ATTACH]
Road crossing just outside my hotel. Never mind the crack its not as bad its seems in the pic.

As most of the BHPians are aware that such a setup allows is comfortable for all especially for the kids and the old folks and also for the cyclists.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Road Design : Things to watch out for-dsc_0138.jpg  

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 27th March 2013 at 18:12. Reason: Photo sequence and text mismatch
rajivr1612 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 19:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
An example of how footpath should be merged with the road. Snapshot taken on my recent visit to Milan.
As most of the BHPians are aware that such a setup allows is comfortable for all especially for the kids and the old folks and also for the cyclists.
He he, in India, this layout also allows for easy parking on the footpath!

The flyover at Hinjawadi, Pune is a classic example bad design. Instead of building a flyover for the NH4 traffic to flow smoothly, the authorities have built a flyover crossing over the NH4. No scope for correction as well now

The road dividers are also a very bad design. The dividers in the city should be at least six feet tall and have a barbed wire fence on top of it so that pedestrians dumb enough to understand they aren't supposed to cross over the divider will have to rethink their ways of getting under the vehicles.

The only gaps in the dividers should be at traffic lights. All other gaps should be closed up with the 6-feet high dividers.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 21:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
He he, in India, this layout also allows for easy parking on the footpath!

The flyover at Hinjawadi, Pune is a classic example bad design. Instead of building a flyover for the NH4 traffic to flow smoothly, the authorities have built a flyover crossing over the NH4. No scope for correction as well now
Buddy, I'm not sure about the bridge you mentioned here. But the NH or main high speed carriageway should be smooth and the village/town should have a bridge to cross over.
Reason:

1) Main carriageway may have trucks from 10 tires up to 60 /70 (At least what i know and may be more than that) will be easy without having to climb up bridge. If built so, this way the bridge cannot have steep incline/decline for this very reason and it has be long. due to this, cost of the bridge shoots up. In India accidents as well.
2) Whereas the town crosses the NH with a bridge which considerably has less loaded road to built.
3) NH will be easily merged with town by having a ramp up while entering and ramp down leaving town.
TO put in simple terms the best one are just like how you have in US freeways with Exits.

There will be lot of saving interms of initial cost of construction and maintenance. Dont forget about the fuel savings by avoiding a bridge.

Flipside: people feel easy to cross NH at ground level causing some accidents. I feel if we have strong fencing and warning hoardings could avoid this.

One good example is Chennai-Bangi NH4. There are multiple bridges in around vellore exactly like this .

PS: My humble opinion.
Reisender is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 11:47   #21
BHPian

I shared the risk involved in using the road in front of my office at Thoraipakkam just few days back in the same thread. Today, one of my company employee met with an accident right in front of the office and passed away :(.

He was coming through the one way road instead of riding till the toll and taking a U-Turn there. I really feel sorry for him and pray that may his soul rest in peace.

Dear Friends, anyone in Chennai using this road for office commute, please ensure to slow down a bit during the corners where there is U-Turn available. First time users are not aware of this crossing put across and end up riding and driving at the same speed that results in an accident. Please pass this on to your friends and relatives who work near this area and stress them to strictly follow the right way of using the roads instead of negligently riding in wrong directions which they assume to be time consuming.

Kindly pray for the soul that has departed and may his soul rest in peace.
Arvind6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 11:54   #22
BHPian

The bumpy underpass is another concern. Every and I repeat each and every underpass in Bangalore is bumpy and if you ride above 40/50 kmph you lose control (especially 2 wheeler). I am surprised that these undulations are present in the recent and just launched underpass too!
The multiple strips of renovation/ tar on the single road. If some flyover is opened, the ramp will be merged with the road, without bothering the level. The wheels get aligned/ jammed in this joint and creates a lot of problem.
MotoNanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 13:02   #23
BHPian

On Ghodbunder Road, Thane, the new Tikuji-ni-Wadi flyover lands right at a signal with a silly speedbreaker at the edge of the flyover. So much for design ! The flyover sure is a boon as all these years one has had to negotiate uneven roads (if you can call them that !) and jaywalkers below the then under-construction flyover. Though the drive from WEH to Majiwada has become super smooth with the construction of these new flyovers, this signal bang on the edge of the flyover sure causes palpitation. To add to the stress, the cops are just waiting ahead to haul you in ! It's a nightmare in the nights ......
Desperately waiting for the Majiwada flyover to get ready. Even a snail will win the race against these contractors working there !
andy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 10:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind6488 View Post
The gap between the median near to my office at Thoraipakkam (Chennai) proves to be a very risky one. The purpose is actually meant to serve a U-turn for commuters travelling from Thoraipakkam towards Pallikaranai. This is being misused by many commuters who travel from Pallikaranai to Thoraipakkam where they enter the road which is a one-way through this gap. I have noticed many a times when I start from office that when coming out there is someone or the other driving opposite me and I have to come to the complete right side of the road to give them way to go past me. This in turn increases the risk of me being run over by vehicles coming from behind.

I have requested many of my friends not to enter the office through this route and instead drive till the Toll Gate and take the U-turn there to enter office which proves to be the right and safe way. They found it a little difficult to adapt to this practise as their regular routine to enter office was coming through the opposite direction but later on realized the risk involved and started taking the risk free way.
Buddy, are you referring chennai one building? I saw wrongsiders on both sides of the road near the toll. It is big mess. I always drive slow and extra cautious around here

Thanks,
Reisender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 10:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Buddy, are you referring chennai one building? I saw wrongsiders on both sides of the road near the toll. It is big mess. I always drive slow and extra cautious around here

Thanks,
Yes Buddy. You got me right . I am referring to the Chennai 1 Building that is there on the Pallavaram - Thoraipakkam Road. It is a big mess here everyday.

The Cops frequently fine people for not wearing helmets, tinted glasses and for overspeeding but have never seem them fine people even once for using the one way road by travelling in the wrong direction to enter office.
Arvind6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 13:24   #26
BHPian

having driven only in India I cannont compare with other countries. The new Gqz, the corridors are a bliss. But I still feel the safe crusing speed would be around 100kms/hr. Ofcourse we can have a few bursts of speed whenever we know we are going to be safe.

The worst "road design" ive seen is on the newly laid tiruchy dindigul road.. absolute bliss... apart from goats jumping onto the road, they have designed a pedastrian crossing right after a blind curve. Will get pics next time.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 13:46   #27
Team-BHP Support

Using Paver blocks for road surface, especially in Mumbai. Absolutely lousy idea and logic for it.
I'm yet to see a clean flat surface with Paver blocks here, in Mumbai.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 13:54   #28
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If there is a contest, Bangalore can win the gold medal hands down for the maximum number of humps [legal, illegal, trapezoidal, inverted U, you name it, Bangalore has it in plenty] among the metro cities in India. At Cash Pharmacy/Bishop Cotton School Circle, FM Cariappa [Residency] Road, there are two trapezoidal humps, one before the traffic signal and another after it. When the signal turns green, the traffic flow moves very slowly due to these two humps. Construction of these two humps at the traffic signal are examples of bad road design, IMO.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 14:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Construction of these two humps at the traffic signal are examples of bad road design, IMO.
Position is bad I agree but you really don't have to cut down speed drastically over these two. By and large Bangalore roads surface are better than many cities.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 14:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Attachment 1066598
ATTACH]1066597[/ATTACH]
Road crossing just outside my hotel. Never mind the crack its not as bad its seems in the pic.

I think this is for wheel chair access. India is probably the most disability unfriendly country in the world.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote