Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th March 2013, 14:13   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bad Road Design : Things to watch out for

Another annoying thing on our roads are the manhole covers. They are never level with the road; either they are sunken or raised (if the covers are not stolen). And then there are multiple manholes on a small stretch of road which are haphazardly placed. So if you want to avoid them, you have to drive in a zigzag manner.

Another example of bad design are the signal islands. A narrow divider will suddenly become three times as big around a signal and this effectively leads to a bottleneck.

Though not a bad road design per se, the other thing that obstructs traffic are the nakabandi barricades. After the checking nakabandi is over, these are just pushed randomly to both sides of the road.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 14:16   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I think this is for wheel chair access. India is probably the most disability unfriendly country in the world.
I agree but how often you see people with wheel chair on Indian roads? Where you see them most is at the airport. This merge design is there in every airport.

Well, I'm not giving any excuse here. Don't get me wrong.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 14:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
By and large Bangalore roads surface are better than many cities.
Agree with Rudra on the conditions of Bangalore roads in comparison with other cities.
One of the good initiatives taken up by BTP is to place large divider blocks across areas which are prone to the traffic taking the wrong way on a slight hint of a traffic jam.

However this needs to be constantly maintained and done in a systematic way. One such example is on Hosur Road near Adugodi. It was late in the night I was returning home when all of a sudden a i 10 stopped right in front of me, the owner ran out and was looking under the car. I thought he has run over someone or something. I came out and realised that one such divider boulder had been dislodged and got stuck under the i 10. Then after some manouvering we managed to get the car out. Thank god there was no visible damage then.
PC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 14:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I agree but how often you see people with wheel chair on Indian roads? Where you see them most is at the airport. This merge design is there in every airport.

Lol! and hospitals.

Another thing I have noticed is that to prevent parking on footpaths, the newer footpaths have barricades. These are just painful to carry trolleys through, and I can imagine wheelchair bound people, especially older people being taken going to parks being very dis-comforted. While cycling, I really appreciate ramps on delhi footpaths, though probably I shouldn't be using cycles on footpaths (but there are so few cycling lanes in Delhi).
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 18:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Undulations on fly-overs, where you literally get thrown off your bike when the Iron "joiner" comes.

+1 to that! A classic example is Janak Setu in New Delhi which has been re-opened after what seems like an eternity of repairs and renovation. Going over the joiners even in my car literally seems like a "back-breaking" experience; not to mention the effect it has on the alignment and balancing of the wheels.
powerwidFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 13:36   #36
BHPian

A very dangerous thing for both pedestrians and motorists are overgrown vegetation on the medians. A pedestrian does not have a clear view of the traffic while crossing roads, and likewise, motorists are also unable to see pedestrians, let alone anticipate their intentions.

Some other thing I would like to mention are:
  • Dug up roads without any barricades/boards/warnings around the dug up portion.
  • Dug up roads with stones to surround the dug up portion: it is even more dangerous at night than unmarked dug up roads,especially for two wheelers.
  • Manholes whose covers are much below the tarmac level. These essentially become back and suspension breaking potholes.
powerwidFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 14:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77 View Post
Agree with Rudra on the conditions of Bangalore roads in comparison with other cities.
One of the good initiatives taken up by BTP is to place large divider blocks across areas which are prone to the traffic taking the wrong way on a slight hint of a traffic jam.
But at times I have seen these blocks moved from its original place and lying on the road. I luckily missed few of these at Madiwala. Another thing I noticed is the placement of barricades. This is very evident on the flyover at Frazer town, ITC. There's a sharp bend right on the middle and at night cops place a barricade to warn the traffic. But during daytime, I saw this place sideways on the median. The median itself is very small and half of this barricade is jutting out. I had a close call last week since I never expected the barricades to be on the median and that too not in upright position. They could have atleast moved to the side of the road. People taking this route can notice this. I saw this for couple of days.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 16:10   #38
BHPian

I noticed a highly dangerous and faulty road design during my recent trips to Kanyakumari and Hyderabad(NH7/AH43). Wherever there is a median gap on this road, a new lane branches off from the right most lane that leads to the median gap. But the problem is this lane ends abruptly at the median gap and median starts right from the middle of the road.

This design poses great danger to road users at night. Most drivers would think that there is additional lane and drift to it only to realize that it is actually leading them to the median. If you travel on Bangalore - Hyderabad NH7, observe the condition of steel railings on the median immediately after median gaps. You would be shocked to see railings after every single median damaged. I saw at least two trucks topped after running over the median last weekend.

Also another disturbing observation on NH7. I had seen at least 7 trucks at roadside fallen off from the road and many of them at straight stretches. This road has 4 lanes and pretty much straight. Yet so many trucks toppled. Quite puzzling. One possibility that I see is straight roads and very less traffic makes drivers to doze off. I myself faced this problem.

Last edited by novice : 15th May 2013 at 16:13.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 16:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

Improper banking or reverse banking at the road bends which leads to under-steer and in turn this forces drivers to trespass too far to the right side while negotiating these curves to the right. In many Kerala roads, which were resurfaced as part of the Kerala State Transportation Project have this peculiar problem, though road surfaces are quite good. This is a major causative factor for many accidents.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th May 2013 at 16:24.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 17:09   #40
BHPian

Take the example of Mumbai-Pune expressway, considerable gaps in between lanes can cut a tyre easily.

Agree with Tejas about manhole covers. I have seen such specially in Pune, I don't understand what's the big deal in keeping them on level with road? And God save if those are left open!
Dodge_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 17:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Lol! and hospitals.

Another thing I have noticed is that to prevent parking on footpaths, the newer footpaths have barricades. These are just painful to carry trolleys through, and I can imagine wheelchair bound people, especially older people being taken going to parks being very dis-comforted. While cycling, I really appreciate ramps on delhi footpaths, though probably I shouldn't be using cycles on footpaths (but there are so few cycling lanes in Delhi).
Did you folks know that there is a legislature in India that promises Barrier Free Environment for the disabled for the last 7-8 years. That law advices all public places including banks and all government offices should be accessible to a disabled - meaning all such places should have ramps for the wheel chair bound and textured flooring for the blind.

I would like to close all the gaps made in the dividers for pedestrians to pass through. It is quite dangerous the way they pop up suddenly. And the fact that if you stop for one pedestrian you have to wait till all 100 of them have crossed over!

Last edited by noidea : 15th May 2013 at 17:56.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 10:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Well, in Pune there's another menace: the so-called pedestrian crossings, at every few metres. No pedestrian ever seems to use them and they have now become some of the worst speed breakers. Check the Sinhagad road for example.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 15:01   #43
BHPian

Default Barricades placed in major city roads /highways

Mods- Please delete or move this thread since did not find any topic to relate to this.

Of late the barricades (zig -zag) ones have started mushrooming in Chennai roads and also on highways. The barricades are a reciepe for disaster due to following reasons
(1) Placed in such a way that it is at the intersection or near a turn (especially in the chennai- pondy GST route) in cities
(2) sometimes a gap is present at the left of the barricade on both sides and the 2W deems it correct to zip in the gap and cause additional headache
(3) the barricade is for catching drunken driving why is it placed when the cops are not around
(4) irritating since @10am and 7pm unmanned or barricades forgotten to be retracted cause bottlenecks
Dieseldunk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 23:10   #44
BHPian

Default Re: Barricades placed in major city roads /highways

Now a days, this is in almost every city of India. No senior police officer can explain the worthiness of these unmanned barricades. There are close to five such unmanned barricades on NH-8, if you travel from New Delhi to Jaipur. From Jaipur to Jhunjhunu the list is endless.

Moreover, if you visit the cities and highways of Uttar Pradesh, you will get a real shock. Not only are these barricades unmanned but broken as well. There are no reflectors on them and are a cause of various accidents.

There has to be a logic behind putting barricades, if they are for routine checking, or if the agencies are working on any input received from Intelligence then it makes sense otherwise unmanned barricades are only adding to chaos on already congested roads.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 09:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Barricades placed in major city roads /highways

The best - or worst - example is on the Nashik Mumbai stretch, just after descending the Kasara ghat, you have the police barricades. They seem to have become a permanent feature of the road.

Probably they think the drivers haven't got enough of the curvy roads in the ghats.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote