Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 18th May 2006, 12:10   #16
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
I know having the slums removed is just wishful thinking.

About the speedbreaker...thats just absolutely pathetic how the government had one constructed within 3 hours at vashi when villagers blocked the traffic after an accident which was caused when one of them sorry villagers decided to jaywalk on a busy highway. It was her fault, theres a subway just meters away. Even then a car was burnt...and many others stoned. Damn these people!!!

Drifter
That speedbreaker now routinely jams up traffic near Vashi, at least in the evenings. Frustrating for a regular driver on the Mumbai-Pune route, like me.
Regards, rks
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 12:14   #17
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
I have had this happen to me once. We were driving at 50kmph, four people in my 800, around midnight, deserted street, well lit, when all of a sudden an unmarked speed breaker appeared out of nowhere (I had travelled the route often and there was no speed breaker a month back) and there was no time to stop. Brakes screeching, we went flying over the bump. There was a sickening thud as the car launched into the air and another a moment later as it fell back down. Everyone in the car had twisted necks after that.
Luckily after that the High Court order had many speed breakers removed.
Every driver on the highway knows that there are some speed-breakers that you just cannot avoid, unless you happen to know about them in advance. I have had my share of nasty experiences, but fortunately, no serious damage so far. But many two-wheeler drivers have come to grief after hitting massive speed-breakers and losing control.
Regards, rks
Old 18th May 2006, 12:17   #18
BHPian

Pune'ites from Kothrud who travel from bypass highway then towards Kothrud - beware of the villagers(slum dwellers) crossing the roads without even bothering to look at the traffic....
After crossing Kothrud depot and 0.5 km's before Vanaaz,there's this stretch where you would find many villagers/slum dwellers crossing roads in a happhazard manner...this patch allows us to speed up after coming from the the hectic chandani chowk traffic...however,we should be very cautious in this stretch - its an accident spot..it seems many women or villagers come to fill water or smething - i dnt know what, they cross the road without bothering to look at the incoming traffic....had few near misses and had to brake hard to avoid them...it seems this worsens after 9 - 10 pm when the traffic is relatively lesser - we have many speeding four wheelers who have a scare of their lives ! most of my friends have had terrible experiences....
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 12:28   #19
BHPian

One more incident which happened today morning 9.30 am near the junction(where 3 roads meet in Hinjewadi - Pune Infotech Park.If you take a left from this junction ,you will reach KPIT cummins,Geometric Software(my company))...I saw a biker having a big fight(verbal) with a PMT(Pune municipal transport) bus driver.It seems the bike had skidded hard and he had fallen just before the bus...Good fortune saved him...The PMT driver was taking a right turn straight into the the path of the incoming traffic....The bike'wala might have assumed that the bus will allow him to pass but it was not the case...the bus might have taken turn very sharply and that too at great speed..the bike had applied brakes - I could see the marks on the road...and the bike had skidded badly..and had fallen just ahead of the front tyres of the bus.The biker had started having a big fight with the PMT driver!!

One point which I want to make here is that - when you are driving a two wheeler,be in your senses not to take on these big vehicles/four wheelers..Its the 2 wheeler guy who is going to suffer serious injuries if something happens...the four wheeler will have a dent at the max!
The biker was abusing the PMT guy for rash driving and not following the rules...but who cares ! the biker should have the common sense to be alert and look out for such things at the junctions...although he may be following the rules but ultimately,he will have to suffer at no fault of his if he's not alert.The biker assumed that the bus must stop but the bus didnot ! ultimately,its him who suffered minor injuries ! fortunately nothing much happened....

Last edited by nitinhegde : 18th May 2006 at 12:30.
Old 18th May 2006, 12:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
One point which I want to make here is that - when you are driving a two wheeler,be in your senses not to take on these big vehicles/four wheelers..
That point is valid even if you are in a car. Never mess with the buses, trucks or the Tempo travellers. These guys don't have anything to lose if you collide and you'll probably end up with a huge hole in your pocket (and in your car!)
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 12:53   #21
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde
[...]
One point which I want to make here is that - when you are driving a two wheeler,be in your senses not to take on these big vehicles/four wheelers..Its the 2 wheeler guy who is going to suffer serious injuries if something happens...the four wheeler will have a dent at the max!
The biker was abusing the PMT guy for rash driving and not following the rules...but who cares ! the biker should have the common sense to be alert and look out for such things at the junctions...although he may be following the rules but ultimately,he will have to suffer at no fault of his if he's not alert.The biker assumed that the bus must stop but the bus didnot ! ultimately,its him who suffered minor injuries ! fortunately nothing much happened....
Lucky escape for the biker. Regarding two-wheelers losing control after hitting speed-breakers -- I feel that the biggest mistakes many of these guys make is that they brake too hard and even try to swerve to the corner of the road upon seeing a speed-breaker at the last minute. So they have already lost control partially before hitting the speed-breaker, and when they do hit, they often take a fall. My advice to two-wheeler drivers rapidly approaching a speed-breaker is -- by all means brake, but not *too* hard, and NEVER swerve -- in other words, keep the vehicle under control, and hold tight on to the handle bar while hitting the speed-breaker. Of course, one may lift one's rear end slightly from the seat at the moment of impact (for obvious reasons). This policy has stood be in good stead when I hit speed-breakers in my Kinetic Honda (now sold off, mercifully).
Regards, rks
Old 20th May 2006, 16:29   #22
BHPian

Unhappy

I still remember the day when one of our cleanest driver was stoned to death, on Kolkata Siliguri highway.

This is mostly third party evidence, collected by the Police. Basically eyewitness on the spot.

The bus was going at a good high speed on the deserted strech of the highway. It was passing thought a village next to the highway, and suddenly one guy came in front of the bus in a cycle. Apparently he was riding the bicycle through the village and needed to cross the highway, he rode on his cycle strait without bothering to look at the traffic.

The driver tried to stop the BUS, but was unable to stop it in time. The youth was flung around 30 ft as the bus hit him at aroun 60. Onlookers gathered around the body of the youth. The Driver had stopped the Busby now, the helper later told me that he was very shaken up.

Suddenly Croud gathered up and started pelting stones at the bus, WITH PASSENGERS INSIDE. Driver started the bus and tried to flee to the nearest police station to protect the passengers. In the mean time one stone hit the driver on his head, and he was bleeding. He managed to only go near the police post and fainted, lost control and the bus hit a tree. Marvelously he had managed to get the parking brakes engaged, which prevented the bus from having a lethal collution.

He never recovered from the incounsiousness. We had shifted him to a reputed nursing home in calcutta, but we were unable to save him.

He never had been booked for rash driving. Never had any accidents. Was the most courtetious driver of the LOT. He had tamed the beast within me, and made me more human. I was very rash once upon a time, and never cared about any one.

Later the few people who were the actuall eyewitness said to police that the fault was with the cyclist. I lost a person whome I respected so much besause of a Turbocharged Crowd.

BTW all our permanent drivers and employees have mediclaim.

Till date I have not been able to pardon the rash crowd. And I sujjest everyone not to stop if you hit someone, just run to the nearest Police station and surrender yourself. The 90% local crowd in india are definitely anti-vehicle. All our age old movies have made them believe that Accidents are done on purpose to revenge some personal matter.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 20th May 2006 at 16:31.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 10:08   #23
BHPian

Sad to say, but yesterday evening a Tanker(truck) ran over a biker at the same place as mentioned by me in post#19 in this thread.The body was covered and there was a huge crowd which had gathered at around 7 p.m. This junction is turning out to be a accident spot!
May his soul rest in peace.
Old 25th May 2006, 11:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
I routinely see parents walking on the kerb/side of the road keeping the child towards the road and flow of traffic!!.. What kind of sense is that!!
I have stopped on many occassions to ask the parent/maid to place the kid on the other side, away from the traffic. Most of these (extremely STUPID) parents give me a totally baffled look wondering why i am making an issue of it. At one point of time, i gave a talking to to a young couple on a motorcycle with their 2-3 year old STANDING in between them. Both looked educated, but started arguing with me that the kid would not listen. I told them to give the kid one rap across the face or leave him at home if he was misbehaving. Some people really dont deserve to be parents.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote