Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th May 2006, 01:32   #16
BHPian

Hey jujhead..I am also the similar type of guy,who doesn't wear my helmet on the bike for short distance trips(<3km)..but an incident happened to me 2 weeks back..I just entered my building gate on my bike from the opposite side of the road,and just barely 5 seconds after I entered,a 118NE car going in the opposite direction on the road from which I entered the building lost control and smashed just outside our building gate,on a street pole !..!..
I have also had 2 accidents previously on my bike 2-3 years back..but fortunately I had my helmet with me both times,along with Gods blessings..
May your friends brother have a quick and full recovery and his parents get their smile back on their faces.
-sr
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 12:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
OFFTOPIC - Im sorry if I sound pessimestic to you but this will hardly make a difference to anyone. People will continue to flout rules and our govt and cops wil support it. Its not about following rules or anything like that - its only about if we can throw out the ROT thats settled in us and about using that little bit of common sense that GOD has given each human being.
I agree @nornally crazy.. If we dont realise the importance of our lives, Wot can GOD do?

My prayers for your friend's brother jujhead.
The Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 15:48   #18
BHPian

IMHO, helmets are a must but seat belts while driving in the city are very inconvenient and therefore tough to use.........
Rayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 15:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
IMHO, helmets are a must but seat belts while driving in the city are very inconvenient and therefore tough to use.........
hey rayden, even helmets are very inconvenient & touch 2 use. trust me they are more pain and burden than the seat belts. the primary use of these devices is not comfort but safety. comfort comes second.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 01:17   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
But without the seat its a possibility that the entire body will become tough to use. Helmets and seat belts cant be more inconvinient than death, right?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 22:43   #21
BHPian

Prayed for ur friends recovery, hope ur friend get well soon.
bike_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 18:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
This is really sad, brought tears to my eyes just reading it. jughead my best wishes to your friend and his family, i'll pray for his health!!
same here buddy. I pray to Almighty he recovers ASAP, one young lad in our society lost his life in same way last year. it was a tragedy for the whole family... we must not let this happen to ourselves guys. our life does not only belong to us, our family also has a big share in it, we can't let them all down.
Shyamtanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 13:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Shyam,

You have responded to a post which is more that 2 years old! :-(
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 14:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Shyam,

You have responded to a post which is more that 2 years old! :-(
No wonder things have not changed till today . I had a small tiff on the road today, guy on a 2 wheeler, without helmet stopping on the road abruptly(rightmost lane), without any reason and then trying to act supreme.

Last edited by dadu : 6th November 2008 at 14:38.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 14:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have been involved in 3 crashes in which I was riding a two wheeler.

I walked off unscathed(well almost) just because I never ride without a helmet be it 500kms ride or a 500M one.

And helmet does not mean you ride away with a 100 buck roadside helmet(thats what more than 60% of helmet wearing riders are using).

I have been saved by my AGV lids in all the three crashes,as in every crash I had my helmet scratched on road.

Please wear a good helmet guys.

Just saying wear a helmet does not work here in india
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 14:55   #26
BHPian

Didn't mean to preach but if any of you here has the bad habit of not buckling up the helmet after taking the effort to wear it please buckle. It's as important as wearing it and we see every second person leaves it unbuckled.
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dadu,

Can very well relate to such incidents. People doing dumb things and acting as if they are soooo macho in doing so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
... It's as important as wearing it and we see every second person leaves it unbuckled.
Oh, there are better classic to such people. Have often seen people wearing a helmet where it is put on more as a cap, meaning, the face is exposed and the helmet just sits on the head with the circumference around the back of the neck and the forehead. What do you say to such jokers!!! (I used to encounter one every day while driving down to work).
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Motorcyclists with the helmet on the petrol tank is such a common sight here. They go to great lengths to balance that helmet amongst a bag, files etc. Would be a simple thing to just drop it into their heads. What a shame !!
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

On those rarest of rare occasions when I couldn't wear the helmet but had to ride (once helmet was stolen and once helmet was soggy wet) I felt so damn uneasy, as if something serioius was missing somewhere. It actually hampers the ride experience for me.
It's the same with seat belts now. If I forget to wear it, I immediately feel something is missing and put it back on.
I think it's just a question of getting used to something.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 20:47   #30
BHPian

Default Seatbelt saved my life

Once I was going to my office in my Alto, and was doing around 70-80s which is kind of normal in the expressway. I made a mistake by not keeping the safe distance ( approx 3.5 feet per 10kmph your speed as they say) from the next car... but I was not too close either. However, we were on right lane and there were 4 cars in front of me. Luckily no one was behind my back.

Suddenly the first car decided to take a U turn from the devider.. and that sudden action made every car behind him/her to hit the brake paddle in a frenzy, and as you know, the more you are behind, the les time you get to react. So, a screeching noise, and the wheels locked up and I banged behind the next car bumper.. which was another Alto.

The state of my car was no very good.. as you know the build quality of a car like Alto.. the entire front on the right side was shattered, but the rediator assembly did not get hit, but the AC pipe got bent a bit, both the bonnet and right panel were replaced, but i could drive it to office... may be I just managed to slow down enough. But my laptop bag was kept in the seat beside me... and it just went below the glove box, it took some efforts for me to take it out as if it was glued to the bottom!!

I did feel the pull in the belt as the body was trying to move forward... and I must tell you.. that pull saved my day... most damages happen to the rib cage once it hits the steering wheel.. and even airbags will not save you if you do not buckle up.... just a small experience.. but take care.. guys

I did not realise I replied to the old thread.. but just looked at the topic.. so felt like sharing my bit.. thanks :-)
Shyamtanu is offline   Reply With Quote