Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th November 2008, 23:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
On those rarest of rare occasions when I couldn't wear the helmet but had to ride (once helmet was stolen and once helmet was soggy wet) I felt so damn uneasy, as if something serioius was missing somewhere. It actually hampers the ride experience for me.
It's the same with seat belts now. If I forget to wear it, I immediately feel something is missing and put it back on.
I think it's just a question of getting used to something.
Well said Sir, it should not be about the law at all, it shoud be about one's own personnal safety, that only we alone can gaurantee for ourselves not the law nor any other person on the street.

Wearing helmets/ seat belts should become a habit rather than a compulsion.

I even wear a helmet on my bicycle (those cycle helmets) even though my friends laugh at me. But i love myself.

Last edited by deky : 6th November 2008 at 23:16.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 08:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Few years back, on one of my initial runs to Trichy from Bangalore (just after buying the Alto) has a close call but was saved due to seat belt being worn.

Doing good speed and suddenly noticed a cyclist cutting across the road. He mis-judge my speed. I had to go to extreme right causing the right wheel to go offroad and with the brakes fully engaged, caused the vehicle so spin.

Did a 360+180 degree turn and stopped on the other side of the road facing the direction I came down from.

Was able to hold on and not let the car swerve around the road because of me and my brother wearing the seat belt. If not, I would certainly have been bumped off the seat and hence would not have been able to keep the steering tight and brake locked. Phew!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 08:44   #33
BHPian

I see jughead is no longer an active member, but does anyone have any idea what happened to his friend's brother?
Nitronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 18:33   #34
BHPian

About 9 months back when I was riding my unicorn at around 60 to 70 kmph ,I hit a person who crossed the road on his kinetic honda. He was thinking about something may be, that he didnt look at my side of the road. I hit him and there were big deep scratches on the forehead region of my helmet and the chin region. Only thing I was having was bruises on hands and legs. But unfortunately for the other person( he was not wearing a helmet) he sustained head injuries and had to undergo surgery for that. Luckily he is fine now.From then I always wear my helmet when I go out on my bike.
fireblade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:39   #35
BHPian

Wishing him a speedy recovery. May god help him. I know it is such an ordeal for the family and imagine parents seeing their young child lying like a dead vegetable in front of them.It is painful to the core.
T_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:05   #36

Lightbulb

Hi,

Recently I took my brother scooty which has very less operative back and full operative front brakes to my girlfriend house. She was insisting of riding that vehicle even I warned her that brakes are not good. At last I agreed to drive her up to the corner of the street and usually I wouldn’t have asked her to keep helmet for such a short distance but I don’t know why my heart said to insist her on wearing helmet and I made her to wear helmet and sat on the rear seat.

She was driving the scooty at around 20 to 30 km/hr speed and an auto fellow suddenly applied brakes. she got panicked and unable to apply the brakes skidded the vehicle. I was shocked by seeing the impact with which her headed hitted the road, if the helmet was not there she might have been in hospital. Luckily got escaped with just minor scratches on the leg.

So please guys be careful even for a distance of 100mts also please be careful while driving.

Apologies for the long post.

Thanks
Razak

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th August 2009 at 01:18. Reason: Formatting tags removed. Please see the announcements section regarding a thread on [font] and other tags.
swiftrazak is offline   Reply With Quote