Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 5th June 2006, 06:15   #31
BHPian

praise the lord !!! thats alll
Old 5th June 2006, 15:14   #32
BHPian

Every moment of life is a decision.. what you decide at that point decides what happens next.. Glad that you are okay

Life is valuable.. incidents like these teach you that!

I have seen enough on the highways.. crazy lorries, busses, cars.. what the heck.. even buffaloes on middle of the road (NH5).

Drive Safe! There is more to life than the few seconds of fun..
Old 24th July 2006, 14:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Going by the book it is the lorry driver's fault. But are you saying no one should point out how the emergency could have been possibly better handled/prevented by Stevie and discuss it in this forum? Why not? I would prefer that type of discussion to the large number of repetitive "I am glad you are OK" type of posts. Anyway, sure, I have said what I wanted to say anyway (and will continue to do so in future, as long as I am allowed to).
Regards, rks
rks
ur comments are very useful...i dont think they are meant to condemn anybody...he is just analyzing the incident thread bare, which is good for anyone who reads it..good show rks
Old 24th July 2006, 15:47   #34
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
rks
ur comments are very useful...i dont think they are meant to condemn anybody...he is just analyzing the incident thread bare, which is good for anyone who reads it..good show rks
Thanks for your comment. My intention was indeed just to analyze, but sometimes I forget about human sensitivities.
Old 1st June 2007, 19:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
It is my strong belief that you must drive at a reasonable speed on the highway and stay clearly ahead of the slow-moving and heavy vehicles, in order to be as safe as possible. You will then have a clear view of the road, rather than have it obstructed by slow-moving vehicles ahead of you. Not to mention the nuisance of being frequently slowed down by their constant braking. When you do the overtaking, you are relying on *your* skills to get the job done safely. When you continually let other guys overtake you, you are relying on *their* skills to execute the overtakes correctly. I definitely prefer the former. A lot of people may not agree with me, but I firmly hold on to this idea. Slow driving on the highway is not necessarily safe driving.
Ended up reading this while browsing the older threads. Time and again u insist on this. Iam sold to your theory

Also I like the way you analyze things & put forward your thoughts. Its really helpful & my belief is that continuous reading will get register in sub-conscious mind.
Old 1st June 2007, 20:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

I kinda agree with Surprise. Even if its not necessarily in the 'keep overtaking' sense - its at least in the control-the-situation sense for sure - when faster vehicles overtake me I accelerate/decelerate to make the passing as predictable as possible, advancing or delaying it by a few seconds if needed. The same holds true when I overtake someone (which happens more often given mone vs average speeds). Basically, make these manouvres very conscious ones rather than 'things that happen'.
Old 2nd June 2007, 00:08   #37
Team-BHP Support

Yes. More than keep overtaking or let others pass a better take away is to learn to be in control of a situation. What would have I done, on hindsight, in such a scenario? I probably would not have increased speed on such a sharp blind curve that is also steep. If that truck is approaching at a high speed and would rather overtake me I would let him pass. And I will drop the speed a few notches to put some distance between us. That way he approaches the turn much before me. Gives me some time to react.

As a thumb rule on all blind turns I give two sharp hoots. At evening or night I also do a fast sequence of headlight flash. Remember, a fast sequence of flashing. This gives any vehicle approaching from the opposite end a feeling that the other vehicle is approaching fast. Its a psychological ploy. He reacts faster, probably goes to his side much quicker. Also, I get back a response more often than not in terms of a return blare or a equally fast sequence of headlight flash. So both sides know of the others presence. Many a times I have found this works great on blind hilly curves. Better than approaching the turns without any indications and then take the opposite vehicle by surprise (and also get surprised yourself).

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd June 2007 at 00:10.
Old 2nd June 2007, 08:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yes. More than keep overtaking or let others pass a better take away is to learn to be in control of a situation. What would have I done, on hindsight, in such a scenario? I probably would not have increased speed on such a sharp blind curve that is also steep. If that truck is approaching at a high speed and would rather overtake me I would let him pass. And I will drop the speed a few notches to put some distance between us. That way he approaches the turn much before me. Gives me some time to react.

As a thumb rule on all blind turns I give two sharp hoots. At evening or night I also do a fast sequence of headlight flash. Remember, a fast sequence of flashing. This gives any vehicle approaching from the opposite end a feeling that the other vehicle is approaching fast. Its a psychological ploy. He reacts faster, probably goes to his side much quicker. Also, I get back a response more often than not in terms of a return blare or a equally fast sequence of headlight flash. So both sides know of the others presence. Many a times I have found this works great on blind hilly curves. Better than approaching the turns without any indications and then take the opposite vehicle by surprise (and also get surprised yourself).
to your every sentence... This is exactly I try to do too... and it does work out well...

Abhi
Old 2nd June 2007, 10:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
i have learned from this...........learned to respect life, learned to respect the machine and learned to be as responsible as possible when i drive.
i do love speed but i love it when i know i have a control over it.
A well said thought and I hope we all learn and remember it.

Although it was not your fault but always protect yourself (your vehicle) from these trucks and remain extra cautious when near them, they are quite unpredictable. Its like you have to save yourself from them then thiking who's on the right side of the rules.

Thank you lord for saving stevie.
Old 2nd June 2007, 12:13   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischint View Post
wow!! you guys are replyin after a year !!
Thanks for pointing this out.
This is a year old thread and no point discussing after a year.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread