Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st October 2013, 14:48   #46
Oxy
BHPian

Default Re: My experience with Petrol Pump Fraud - And the silver lining

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post
the mileage I got for the fuel, when the Fuel Indicator started blinking again, for the same usual driving condition. At 13KMPL, I reached 260 kms- which is 20L. ~ 1600 at Rs8 0/L.
If I had 25L filled up, it would have gone 325 kms.

Secondly, my belief is strengthened even more- when I filled up yesterday at another bunk (HP- Agri College) for exactly the same amount- and the indicator easily crossed halfway mark-which was not the case in BP one-and I had driven more after hitting reserve yesterday, as compared to earlier instance.
Well, if the attendants can short fill even after we see the resetting to zero, then it's a pretty scary proposition. There's no way to know then if you are tricked or not.

Lesson well learnt for you. Avoid that BP pump like a plague.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 14:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Ok,,this is the solution.

But what is the methodology of the fraud ? what is the trick-of me getting duped, at whcih point in the process below.

Fills up till Rs 400, stops, resets to zero,

Before this first 400, did you check it was zero?
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 15:41   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Before this first 400, did you check it was zero?
Yes. thats what my concern is.
Before starting, I checked for 0. (very sure of this)

After 400, also, I checked for 0. (Am very sure coz of my habit of insisting on 0-but now, having some self doubts)
rohit0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 09:57   #49
BHPian

Today came across similar fraud in IOCL Petrol pump located in Talawade - Chakan Road, just before Mahindra and Mahindra's Chakan factory. I was waiting for filling fuel in my car, it was 07:30 AM. The staffs were getting ready to start their daily job, one guy was taking stock and performing puja etc.

They asked me to wait for a minute. The attendant finished his Puja and first filled petrol in an two wheeler for Rs.200. Now it's my turn, I normally fill the tank till neck, so I asked him to fill 25ltrs. Later he can slowly fill till neck slowly. This guy all of sudden started filling the fuel without resetting earlier reading to zero. I tried to stop him, by that time he filled fuel for Rs.200 (total Rs.400). When I asked him why did not you reset the meter, he said he had reset it. I was firm that, he did not reset, and finally he agreed.

I asked for his superior but no one was present. Finally his colleague came and offered to fill petrol, for which I said NO.

I paid Rs.200 and drove away.
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 11:30   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. thats what my concern is.
Before starting, I checked for 0. (very sure of this)

After 400, also, I checked for 0. (Am very sure coz of my habit of insisting on 0-but now, having some self doubts)
is there a difference between
-manually setting it 0 by pressing some button
and
-putting the nozzle back on the pump to reset?
rohit0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 13:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:

But what is the methodology of the fraud ? what is the trick-of me getting duped, at whcih point in the process below.

Fills up till Rs 400, stops, resets to zero, restarts, fills for Rs 1600.
Bill Rs 2000.

But I know, I got only Rs 1600 worth of fuel.
Is this Pune only fraud? It happened with me twice.

After they fill something like Rs 300, suddenly meter goes blank. They say it is power out. Power comes back within few seconds. Now they start again at zero. I am sure it is started at zero both times. So I had to pay final reading plus Rs 300 before power goes out.

I am sure this is some kind of fraud, but not able to understand how they do it.
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 18:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post

Is this Pune only fraud? It happened with me twice.

After they fill something like Rs 300, suddenly meter goes blank. They say it is power out. Power comes back within few seconds. Now they start again at zero. I am sure it is started at zero both times. So I had to pay final reading plus Rs 300 before power goes out.

I am sure this is some kind of fraud, but not able to understand how they do it.
Ditto for me here at bangalore. I had filled only for 100 then.They had all pumps working when they pulled this trick.Only way is to stare at meter and pay up and leave at first sign of fishy behaviour.Dont wait for the second pumping attempt.
Old 14th November 2013, 18:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

The biggest way to avoid these kind of frauds is to take it slow. Stop the car. Shut off engine, walk out, open the lid and patiently ask for the fuel/quantity.

Never allow the attendants to fill on their own. I never say how much I need until I see the meter reset.

Attention diversion is another trick. Never entertain a conversation with another attendant. I once saw an attendant charge towards me with the pump while another one started chatting. I clearly noticed the meter and closed the tank. He understood my body language and got the meter reset.

Also try to ask for a full top up. This avoids short fill to some extend. If not feasible, be alert. I have managed my family run bunk for 3 years and I know few tricks of the trade.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 14:43   #54
BHPian

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. This was in a BP pump in Baner.

I always make sure to step out of the car and stand right next to the attendant and keep an eye on the meter. I asked him to top up and towards the end, his partner started asking me about the card - what type and all such questions. I did not pay any attention and kept looking at the meter.

Ultimately when the attendant stopped pumping, I saw that the meter reading came up to 2500/- and then it immediately reset. Then came along his partner asking for the card - I asked him how much was due and he replied 2800 !!

Immediately I raised my voice a tad and asked him how can he say 2800 when I saw the meter shut at 2500 ? Just then the attendant stepped in and said that yes its 2500. Paid 2500 and drove out. Had I not been paying attention then I would have been swindled for at least 300 rupees.
luvDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 15:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Ultimately when the attendant stopped pumping, I saw that the meter reading came up to 2500/- and then it immediately reset .
You can also tell them to show last reading.it is possible.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Paid 2500 and drove out. Had I not been paying attention then I would have been swindled for at least 300 rupees.
Something like this a new type of fraud, I am hearing it for the first time. Looks like we need to make a Standard Operating Procedure for refueling. Nowadays going alone to fuel pump is very difficult, we need an additional person to keep watch on all stuffs
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 17:08   #57

Quote:

Ultimately when the attendant stopped pumping, I saw that the meter reading came up to 2500/- and then it immediately reset. Then came along his partner asking for the card - I asked him how much was due and he replied 2800 !!
Did you get the receipt?

Generally I like BP petrol pumps because they give the receipts (on demand atleast) right from the same machine; which can ensure transparency.
kookaburra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 22:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookaburra View Post
Did you get the receipt?
Yes sir I got the receipt. I was more amused than angry by the apparent effort to extract more money than was due from me
luvDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 00:33   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Immediately I raised my voice a tad and asked him how can he say 2800 when I saw the meter shut at 2500 ? Just then the attendant stepped in and said that yes its 2500. Paid 2500 and drove out. Had I not been paying attention then I would have been swindled for at least 300 rupees.
But when you are paying by card then what incentive does the attendants have to cheat you? They wouldn't get the extra cash to pocket and it would rather go to the owner. Or is it that owners provide them bonuses on the amount of money they fleece from the customers at the end of every month!
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 00:50   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But when you are paying by card then what incentive does the attendants have to cheat you? They wouldn't get the extra cash to pocket and it would rather go to the owner. Or is it that owners provide them bonuses on the amount of money they fleece from the customers at the end of every month!
It is very simple buddy.

1. You are filled for 2500 and charged 2800. You pay by card.

Fuel Filled = 2500, Owner gets = 2800, Attendant get = 0

2. I go and fill for 500, pay by cash. Attendant gives 200 to owner and pockets 300.

Fuel filled = 3000, Owner gets = 3000, Attendant gets = 300.

You get cheated!!
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote