Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th December 2017, 19:19   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Shell petrol bunk Old Madras Road near Gopalan mall credit card cheating

Always look at the meter before giving the card and verify the swiped amount before leaving the bunk. Could've been a mistake, could've been a scam, you never know. Don't trust blindly even if it's Shell or a CoCo.
Vysakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 19:44   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Shell petrol bunk Old Madras Road near Gopalan mall credit card cheating

Never trust anyone, could happen to anyone. You can always claim a dispute if you have a bill.

There are lots of best practices to be followed at bunks mentioned in various threads.
One is to get out, stand still next to cars fuel tank and conduct all actions and transactions including swiping of the card. Get back into the car only after you have verified everything. Do not bother about others waiting or the attenders.
sansvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 20:32   #78
BHPian

Default Re: My experience with Petrol Pump Fraud - And the silver lining

I don't like old card machines which sometimes didn't show the amount being swiped at the top before entering PIN. I always ask them to print the receipt before I get back into the car even though the attendants ask me to move the car while the receipt prints.
Yieldway17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 19:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
I fill up at a couple of petrol pumps on the Kalyan Shil road near Dombivali. My XUV has a tank capacity of 70 Liters. I have noticed at both the HP pumps that even when my fuel indicator is showing 2 bars, the guy ends up filling 67 to 68 liters. I find it strange and upon being confronted, the guys does the 5 liter measuring can filling routine satisfactorily. I always keep an eye on the meter, make sure it is reset, the nozzle is on auto cut off and the attendant does not touch it.
Any fellow XUV owners can verify if this is possible, I am in doubt if i am getting short changed.

The Tank capacity of XUV is 75 L as far as I know. Usually with the last bar , the XUV takes in 70-71L. I did this few times from multiple Shell bunks.
dreadknight5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:22   #80
BHPian

Attempt to fraud by an attendant at a HP petrol bunk outlet but the owner was cooperative, after i put a complaint.

The story-

Am not taking the name and the location of the pump as the issue is now resolved.

I asked the attendant to fill diesel worth Rs 1000 in my car and told him i will pay by card. So he brought the card swiping machine and asked for my card. I gave him the card. At the first instance he was checking the rear of the card and i noticed he was looking at the cvv code. The next moment he entered the amount and asked me for the Pin number! I told him that, pin number should be entered by the customer. His reply was he cant handover the machine to me due to safety issues! I blatantly told i wont share my pin. He cancel that transaction and start a new one.

He reluctantly gave me the machine and told me to enter the Pin. Now that guy didn't enter the amount and in place of entering the amount he asked me to enter the Pin. I didn't notice it at first. So when i entered the number, instead of **** marks the clear pin number was coming up on the machine's display. I immediately declined the transaction. Now seeing me declining the transaction he got angry and told me to leave the pump & not waste his time. I obliged. But before leaving i took the location, time, name of the pump & attendant.

Came back home and put a complaint on their website with all the required details. http://retailcms.hpcl.co.in/retailcm...userissue.aspx

The very next day the owner of the pump called me and asked, what happened. I told him what exactly happened. He apologized and told me he will sack that rogue attendant and i can come over to his pump any time to check the same.

I guess these guys collect the card details and pass on to the fraudsters, who later calls up posing as a bank employee to take further details to cheat some money from our account.
For safety i visited the nearest ATM and changed the ATM pin, plus called up the bank call center and updated them the story. To my good luck all was safe at the end.

Last edited by Samba : 3rd January 2018 at 20:38.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote