Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th May 2013, 16:06   #16
BHPian

Default re: Morons on the road affecting your car purchase decision?

To me these things do make an impact on the car I will buy. I did not buy a pre worshiped Civic or Corolla for these reasons. I cant afford to repair them yet.

I have learnt it the hard way when my pre worshiped OHC totaled. I was 25 and it was my 4th car and first sedan. I know how I had to save up for it. Even worse was I wasn't even driving it. The amount to repair it was more than I could afford, so had to sell it as junk.

Also when buying new, the choice of color also is affected by the above reasons.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 16:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Morons on the road affecting your car purchase decision?

I currently have a Swift that has been dinged from all sides and never once I was in the car. In the 3 years of ownership my car has been subject to a lot of abuse while it was harmlessly parked - either in office, market, besides our house or wherever else.

Lessons that I learned?

1. In a city like Delhi I can't afford to keep my car flawless looking because -
(a) my office has morons who don't know how to park a car
(b) I go to markets where cars are pushed around and bumpers, not brakes, stop the car
(c) banging the door on the other car while getting out is nothing unusual
(d) bumpers are meant to kiss each other (you can't believe how much I've heard this)
(e) if I worry too much about scratches/dents I should rather keep my car parked at home (heard this equally good no. of times)
2. My next car, after 2-4 years, has to be a Thar (if M&M can refine it to levels where it can be one's daily drive) or a Safari with iron protruding from all sides. Just in case I wouldn't be able to afford either even after 2-4 years, I'd rather settle for another Swift.
3. Just because I'm a car enthusiast and love my car like crazy doesn't mean rest of the world does so as well. For 99.99% of the population its four-wheeler meant for going from Point A to Point B and that's about it. Hence, the attempt to try to keep the car in a showroom looking condition would only mean more headache, more expense and more frustration.
4. Sorry for contradicting my love for cars here (refer my posts where I'm almost crying for the damages done to my car) but if I really wish to not take any more stress than I already do, I'd rather start looking at this like a four-wheeler. A four-wheeler that I can afford to maintain, aesthetically or mechanically or both ways, without getting frustrated at the next unsolicited dent.
fine69 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 20:10   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Morons on the road affecting your car purchase decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayrec View Post
Last time when I was driving on Agra - Delhi highway (NH-2), I overtook a car. My speed was around 70 KMPH and I was on right most lane now. There was a truck in front of my car. Suddenly truck changed lane to its left and I saw another truck coming towards me HEAD ON ..!! I panicked, hit my brakes and managed to change my lane.

The other truck coming on wrong side didnt want to take a U turn which was about 5 KMs ahead so it decided to take wrong side road to cut through to other side.
Déjà vu. A similar incident happened to me near Salem, Tamilnadu on March 30th. I was in the middle lane and a truck in front of me swerved to right without any indicators. To my horror, I saw a bull dozer coming directly in my way in the opposite direction. I had no other option but to swerve to left to avoid head on collision. Fortunately for me the left lane was empty. The cleaner and the driver were very much aware of what was going to happen.

I passed the truck and gave an earful to the truck driver. To add to my misery, he was least perturbed and carried on as if nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
"I really should have bought the Alto".
My wife keeps telling me "Sell Alto and buy ...". I wish I could hear only the first two words . I am happy riding around in Bangalore on my Access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
As one who uses both a car and a bike, let me tell you not all two wheeler riders are morons nor all car drivers sane ones.
Couldn't agree more with you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
My next car, after 2-4 years, has to be a Thar (if M&M can refine it to levels where it can be one's daily drive) or a Safari with iron protruding from all sides.
Reminds of the car in "Death Race"
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 20:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post

Déjà vu.
Déjà vu. Here too !!!! Was driving to Bengaluru and was maintaining a steady 90kmph on my innova and just as I was coming out of a blind-curve at Krishnagiri(a right hander) there was this moron coming the wrong way on the fast lane,he too in an innova, not giving two hoots to even honk. Lucky he was still 80-90 mts away so overtook an auto moving on left(he too did not brake to let me swerve) and had to swerve hard while also simultaneously abusing him(innova guy).

My 2P:
Based on buying a car, well what I have understood after having my car for three years is that the exterior of your car belongs to the public and morons who love to scratch your car and overtake you or love to vandalize it if it is "SHINY".
Shanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 21:50   #20
BHPian

Yes ! ours- me, Sis & Bil's next-in wish list is a Bolero for that bit of peace of mind. Tired of such idiots, sis prefers to take the Red Figo than a humble easy rider grey Santro. In fact we all now wish i had bought a jeep derivative for city roads

Edit: i love the nano, but won't be buying one b'coz of safety worries from morons.

Last edited by Rennjit : 13th May 2013 at 21:55.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 22:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Yes ! ours- me, Sis & Bil's next-in wish list is a Bolero for that bit of peace of mind.
I went to Mumbai for an assignment and one of the guys I was dealing with there told me that his wife drives a Bolero for the sole reason that it keeps ricks/bikers away. Not to mention that the height of the vehicle doesn't let other vehicles damage its doors or fenders while parking or maneuvering in a small area.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 22:30   #22
BHPian

To answer your question, if it relates to safety alone, then yes, if I can afford, I'd buy a safer variant of the car that I want, just to make sure that we don't have to repent later. I don't think I'd change the choice of the car because of this reason though.

Believe me, its not only the people on the road that impact your car buying decision. The one biggest criteria I've had in buying a car has been that it should not scrape ANY of the speed breakers in Bangalore. And because of this superseding criteria, I had decided against buying any good looking sedan till the time I'm in B'lore. In hindsight, this was a good thing coz now I don't think I'd want to give up the tall driving position that I enjoy!

Now, coming to the people who believe that their vehicle can change shape and squeeze in to the narrowest of gaps at signal stops or in slow moving traffic.
  • To tackle this, I now have the Thar which is armored on all sides and is capable of inflicting damage to anyone who wishes to come in contact while its moving. I've tested it once already and it works like a charm (someone rear ended with a new punto and bore the brunt of their own doing).
  • The Safari does make people give way usually, except for when its time to do a 3 point U-turn with it. I really hate it when there's someone sticking to my tail while I'm taking a U-turn. I feel like running over those bikers when they try to squeeze through while I'm reversing the car, but you can't always do everything you want! My wife on the other hand behaves very calmly and doesn't mind blocking the traffic until people give her the space to reverse - it works.
  • I can proudly say that I don't try to squeeze into spaces even when I'm riding the T'bird. I do get stares from people since I'm usually standing in a proper lane between two cars at a signal rather than trying to move through the gaps. I still have retained the Ladakh panniers on my bike, just to keep people at a safe distance. Imagine the havoc I can create if I squeeze the bike between cars with all the metal cladding on both sides!

All said and done, even though I love my rides, I'm not a "cosmetic" lover. I don't really bother myself over the occasional scratches (not dents) that you get while driving through traffic or even while its parked. The Safari has been a victim of vandalism with visible scars on the bonnet etc, but as long as it's mechanically fine and the interiors are okay, it's all good. Honestly, I don't think I would care about it even if I were driving a Range Rover.

One thing to remember is that the vehicles we buy are nothing but depreciating assets. No matter which car you drive, not choosing to take it out because of the fear of getting it scratched or hit isn't really going to enhance the value of the car any further than what you bought it for. Afterall, cars are just equipment, unless you have "used" them to create long lasting memories, there's no way you can justify the cost of depreciation you'd be paying for them.
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 22:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Therefore, I plan to drive this car to the ground so I wouldn't have to care about how it looks, how many scratches and dents it has on it, or what some kid decides to etch on it with keys. I'll keep maintaining the car mechanically but will stop bothering about the aesthetic aspects soon.
Your perspective gives me a lot of peace of mind. My car, barely a year old has more scratches than I can count and the maroon colour doesn't help either. Few due to my mistake, many due to others.

Last week, at Trimulgherry signal I saw a Manza driver arguing with an Indica cab driver. The cab driver was at fault but a couple of auto drivers came to his rescue. In their opinion, that scratch is very small and Manza driver is making a big deal out of it. The Manza had very good alloys and the vehicle was pretty clean, looked like an enthusiast's car. Except me, everybody present around were thinking that cab driver is being harassed by the Manza guy. But I could understand his pain.

Is there any 'Scratch package' available wherein you pay a yearly amount and get your scratches repaired?

Quote:
If these things bother us, we should keep our favourite rides for the week-end highway drives and take the public transport or a cab to work. Else,use a cheaper one for daily use as you have suggested!
Doesn't help.
I commute to work on my bike and car is only weekend/highway ride. So the only way out I see is buying a white/silver car next time.
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 23:08   #24
BHPian

Isn't a scratch a liberating experience?
Before that, I always used to be worried about damage. But the moment an auto banged into my car, I felt that I too can join the crowd.
chinkara is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 23:25   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

It does play in my mind everytime I dream of buying that elusive beemer. Taking care of your car is something that we are all passionate about. And in our current road conditions you are bound to get scratches/minor dents on your car inevitably, whether its a biker or cycle or sometimes even when your car is supposedly parked in a designated parking spot. Even sometimes parking in malls and hotels is filled with anxious moments, fearing that the guy parked next to you would not think twice before opening his car's door and hitting your car in the process.

So yes all this does matter. A simple scratch can still be somehow managed on a relatively cheaper car. But I would not be able to drive a 20L+ car without the constant stress and anxiety of avoiding getting the slightest scratch on it, which would cost me a bomb to repair.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 06:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It does play in my mind everytime I dream of buying that elusive beemer. Taking care of your car is something that we are all passionate about. And in our current road conditions you are bound to get scratches/minor dents on your car inevitably, whether its a biker or cycle or sometimes even when your car is supposedly parked in a designated parking spot. Even sometimes parking in malls and hotels is filled with anxious moments, fearing that the guy parked next to you would not think twice before opening his car's door and hitting your car in the process.

So yes all this does matter. A simple scratch can still be somehow managed on a relatively cheaper car. But I would not be able to drive a 20L+ car without the constant stress and anxiety of avoiding getting the slightest scratch on it, which would cost me a bomb to repair.
I ve always maintained my cars as best as possible and absolutely hate scratches and dings caused by dunderhead moronic idiot road users, especially of the biker and auto rickshaw variety. One of the reasons that I never went for a really expensive car until now. I am paying the price for my hunger for such a car now on account of the lousy stony roads of Bangalore which have hurt my alloy wheels and the idiot autos and bikers who have created irritating dings and scratches. Yes, the damages so far are very very minor but what upsets me is that I had kept my car completely scratch and ding free for the first full year of ownership and now in its second year, within the first 5 months, I ve got 4-5 dings and scratches on it. Anyway, I shall live with it now and try not to get too bothered each time I see the damages...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 10:52   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

More than rash motorists (rightly called Morons here), its the road infrastructure that will affect my car buying decision in the future.

In my city, any Co-operative Housing Society (CHS) which feels that the road in front of the building is suitable for rash driving will erect couple of Speed breakers with 1:1 - Height to width ratio (mostly cemented, not asphalt). In my 4 years of driving, I have suffered more damage to my car owing to such breakers, potholes than other motorists (Cracked Silencer, Cracked Bumper). Also the toll such breakers take on the suspension set-up is massive. My next car will definitiely be a SUV!!!
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 11:57   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why bring the value of the car in to it? It took me years to save and buy my Alto, so it is as precious to me as someone's Jag is to him!
+1 to Gansan. And its true that morons on the road do affect the purchase decision. I love my car, presently the Zen. I have loved all cars that we had in our house since my childhood. I take care of them like a baby and have emotional connect with them and they are not merely a transport mode for me from getting to point A to point B. Even our 10 year old Zen is kept/ maintained in pristine condition. Some folks even get confused as if they think the car's production has started again!

For this reason, I don't take my car to the main market areas which are very crowded. A Zen is a small car on the road and does not command too much respect (not talking of auto-enthusiasts) from auto walas and bikers and hence, it makes things more painful too. Hence, I prefer to go to these crowded areas on my bike. Most of the miles on my car's odo have been munched on the highways. However, I do move around in my car when I have to go places within the city which does not go through busy markets.

My 2 reasons for not going for a new car ; though the first one is OT.

1. That I love the old Zen and its no longer in production. Once I sell it, I won't find another good one in my life. I cannot afford 2 cars presently.

2. I am not a tall boy design lover and most small cars in the market today are tall boys. This is why I love the look of the Polo (& Vento). Either one could have been my next car, but the A.S.S. of VW and the cost of ownership scare the wits out of me. Cost of ownership means primarily the repair of dents/ scratches etc. as cars & such repairs go hand to hand! And I will not be able to see beautiful cars like the Polo & the Vento with dings & scratches around them.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 14th May 2013 at 12:01.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 12:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Buy a butch SUV with a good offroad cladding. Like the Safari, especially the one with the gray cladding. The cladding is thick, protects the body from bumps and damages, the side steps are the first thing that a moron rickshaw or car will bump against, so they tend to stay away from the car. Add a big bullbar and a rear bull bar, and watch the traffic scurrying away instead of coming closer.
BTW the Storme cladding is really thin compared to the Dicor, so in a nick the Storme might crack its cladding instead.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 12:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

^^Care to know what other road users think of guys driving such vehicles?!
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote