Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th May 2013, 12:16   #16
BHPian

Default Re: What to do when your car is MARKED for THEFT by professional thieves

This is getting unreal. This is just making me go ":O". Do they really have this system of paying supari to some professional theft gang for a set of wheels? I have only seen this in the movies and never knew that it even exists in India. Security for the common man is on an all time low at the moment. That said, ask you friend to get the gear lock and ask him to get a chain and tie the front wheel from the suspension to the wheel. More the measures the lesser attraction it has for the thieves. I have heard of GPS trackers which are configurable to give out a warning when the vehicle leaves a particular area.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 27th May 2013 at 12:18.
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 12:37   #17
BHPian

A GPS tracker with geo-fencing and a remote immobilization will help. One can set a perimeter (geo-fencing) after parking at night. Secondly, one can also get to immobilise the car once theft is detected. We have an experience without both these features which I had shared here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ts-inside.html (White Bolero stolen. And then RECOVERED using GPS Tech!! Screenshots inside)

Last edited by BoneCollector : 27th May 2013 at 12:40.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 12:48   #18
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: What to do when your car is MARKED for THEFT by professional thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
This is getting unreal. This is just making me go ":O". Do they really have this system of paying supari to some professional theft gang for a set of wheels? I have only seen this in the movies and never knew that it even exists in India.
If you find this all new, you should read this thread to understand how auto theft industry works.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ero-theft.html (Story of Pajero Theft)
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 13:04   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Apart from the ones mentioned in the thread by different people. Some innovative ideas which I can think of are,
1. Chain the car to a nearby pole or something (cycle style :P)
2. Can we buy something which the traffic police use for locking wheels? Is such a thing available in the market?

Some of the very practical suggestions I read above are
1. Park facing the dead end direction, this will ensure trouble to steal the car. Make the exit difficult / iterative / time consuming
2. Removing important fuses (ones which cannot be replaced by other ones in the fuse box

This thread reminds me of the movie "Gone in 60 seconds"
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 13:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Let me think from a thief's perspective. It will rule out some of the suggestions above:

- GPS Tracker - Just pull out the wires and throw it away, its' dead. No use
- Gear and Steering lock. Use pliers and cut the wire. Gone.

Possible solutions would be:
- Wheel lock - Like the ones used by police to jam a car. Pretty sturdy. Won't break when hammered even.
- Removing the fuse - Makes sense, unless the thieves have brought in accessories with them.
- A remote lock can do wonders. I don't know if this was installed on the Safari or not. But on my car, if I try to open the car from inside while it has been locked using the remote lock, the beep starts. Again, this works fine, unless the thieves have disconnected wires from the battery (for which they should have the bonnet open).

Like selfdrive says - Parking, the front facing the dead end helps as it would take atleast some bit of reversing back and front to turn around.

And last, but not the least, invest in some CCTV equipment that would keep a watch on the car. Police do good investigations with CCTV footages. And possible have a good street lamp post set up there. The halogen types. Try with your local ward MLA or some politician and explain about the incident. May be he/she would help to setup the light or increase patrolling.

I am practically shocked at the use of high end technology of the thieves !! Bringing a hand drill to take out ignition !!!
What else they have in their tool-kit !!
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 13:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

1. Micro Vehicle Black Box and an additional kill switch may be.
2. Steering/Clutch + Gear Lock
3. What does the beat person has to say about it? Can he help in any way?
4. I'm assuming that an FIR would have been filed on each occasion, share the story with a news channel about how a particular car has been targeted twice and would most definitely be jacked in another couple of weeks/months. This should create enough pressure on the cops to deploy whatever security measures they can.
5. Motion sensor within the car that runs on battery? I'm sure there must be something like this on dx.com

EDIT: To clarify, additional security equipments on the car are not to make it theft-proof, just to delay the car-jacking process.

Last edited by fine69 : 27th May 2013 at 13:24.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 13:37   #22
BHPian

A simple thing one can do is get a cheap mobile phone (like the Nokia 1100) which has a good battery life, put a SIM and hide it somewhere in the car. These phones can easily retain a charge for 4-5 days and you can track it in case it gets stolen.
prateekm is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 14:09   #23
BHPian

Some very valid and strong options posted by members.
May I add one more to the list? - many might flame me for giving such advice but it is something I would definitely consider if I were in your place.

Tell him to sell the car, cut his potential losses. I am saying this simply because you have said your friend's car has been marked. Your friend can try all he wants - but if the other party is determined enough, your friend's car will eventually be lifted, no matter what.

Last edited by Kaumad : 27th May 2013 at 14:19. Reason: Changing reference to your friend.
Kaumad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 14:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you find this all new, you should read this thread to understand how auto theft industry works.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ero-theft.html (Story of Pajero Theft)
This is perhaps the most gripping and vicious chase that i have come across in recent times. I read the entire thread and at times i felt a chill go down my spine. What depresses me is to know that even the cops stand by their side and there is no one that you can trust within this system. I admire the courage showed by our fellow member gtabombay. I also pray that such incidents don't happen to our family(team-bhp) again. Thanks Samurai for sharing it !

Last edited by Manzone799 : 27th May 2013 at 14:15. Reason: grammatical
Manzone799 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 15:21   #25
BHPian

checkout this scary video..This car has all the security systems installed minus the GPS.

Scorpio, Swift and Safaris are thieves fav toy..

and the worst thing is these guys come to your colony in a luxury car, so guards even think twice to stop and ask question.

A friend faced the same in west delhi..There were 3 guys in an old accord and were trying to steal his accent..he shouted and switched on the room lights , they fled away..

Last edited by bblost : 27th May 2013 at 15:41. Reason: please use http instead of https for youtube.
nick17s is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 15:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have an OUTRAGEOUS suggestion but this suggestion was MOST VOTED in a recent surveyor's seminar on auto thefts and claims.

Buy one of those cheap mobile phone that offer best STANDBY TIME and take a mobile connection of cheapest plan (Tell provider that you are looking for incoming calls only) and put in the sim card.
Now put this phone on COMPLETE SILENT (NON-VIBRATING MODE) and hide it well in your car. By hiding we mean, that you should not simply throw it in glove compartment or the spare wheel well etc. Hide it well and choose the location depending on your vehicle.
If unfortunately your car gets stolen, all you need to do is give Police the number of hidden mobile's phone and they will be able to track your vehicle within minutes.
Since tracking location of mobiles (for suspects) is now everyday job for police, they can track your vehicle easily, and as per few police personnel, who attended our seminar, they agreed that its easier to track mobile phone than those fancy gadgets or GPS trackers etc.

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 17:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Adding points, over and above what is suggested.
  1. Enable Geo Fencing on your Satellite / GPS Tracking system. Geo fencing SMSses you when the fence is broken
  2. Pay up some private Detective / security agencies who have licenses fire arms and can help you hunt down the thief with the help of GPS coordinates. Much faster than going police way. They will accompany you in the unlikely event of a theft. Use GPS coordinates to
  3. Fasten individual wheel locks (police clamp style) on all 4 wheels
  4. Request Tata Service center to reprogram the ECU for a new set of keys
  5. Have motion sensors inside car.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 18:00   #28
BHPian

One of the two simple options:
1) Nothing works like a mechanical lock. It takes time to break it and is visible and thus deters many car theives so use a simple long chain to lock all your wheels axles and if possible to a stationary pole. Use a high quality lock whose keys are not common and change it often. Infact keep a set of locks so the thieves keep on guessing which one would be today night.
2)Gear lock.
3)Steering lock.
4) A mobile having long battery life hidden in the car to detect if still the car gets stolen.
Wish we had Mr. Beans steering wheel type of mechanism to daily take home the steering wheel.
One last idea. If you park your car on a road and at a fixed location. Get a eye bolt hammered in the road and lock your car with a chain to that.
amit_purohit20 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 18:36   #29
v&v
Senior - BHPian

IMO practical solution is to tieup with a nearest taxi stand and park the safari there. I have couple of friends doing this.
Its pretty safe bet.

What we have discussed here will not prevent theft if they are professional thiefs they will have the answer to all these gadgets.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 03:42   #30
BHPian

Having GPS based tracker is a smart device and attempt to prevent theft, but I am in process of implementing 2 things on my car after reading so many horror stories of car theft.

1). A Electronic Fuel Pump Dis-abler
2). A Mobile Phone with Ringer Removed, Connected to a reliable DC Source and Hidden inside Boot.
(Keeping Cellphone ON itself makes it traceable, you need not have it ringing and why it should ring if its to be a hidden device.)

No matter how good your GPS unit may be, Thief might hunt for it on the first Stop he makes.
Having a extra mobile hidden will certainly give more Tower Based locations to Police than you can imagine.
Samsung has a few cheap phones under Rs.1000 which can survive more than a week or two on single charge if no calls are made, Will post back model number in a couple of day.

The fuel pump trick might help, as thief would not waste much time in studying the circuit, they would go for common errors and may escape from the scene when they get a technical bouncer.
ghpk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote