Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th September 2013, 00:12   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Heads up! Kerala MVD begins aggressive enforcement of lane discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Where is this cash going? KSEB is disconnecting various speed cam power supply coz their bill isn't paid!
Any idea which all ??
Mistakenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 12:18   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Heads up! Kerala MVD begins aggressive enforcement of lane discipline

Finally the transport commissioner's efforts have started showing some results. There is a huge improvement in road accidents and deaths toll. Still long way to go. Today's Economic Times has done a detailed story. Some excerpts.

Malayalis, who once saw seatbelts as a nuisance, now reluctantly wear them. Helmets have become as common as mundus (dhotis). Drivers are careful when stepping on the accelerator; it is not unusual to see BMWs and Mercs snail on highways, often behind autorickshaws and buses. Bar owners are in a quandary. Customers who drive out of a bar run straight into a cavalcade of policemen waiting with breathalysers.
Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst[/FONT
Attached Images

Last edited by MaxTorque : 24th November 2013 at 12:21.
MaxTorque is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 23:25   #18
BHPian

Kerala CM inagruated 100 speed cameras in major roads under custodianship of police on Dec30 evening. Within 24 hrs, 2248 violations were detected and challens worth 6.74 lakhs were sent. Stretches of NH/SH are Kovalam-Kottiyam, Vengaramoodu-Chengannur, Shakthikulangara- Ambalapuzha, Allapuzha-Changanassry, Trissur-Kuttipuram and Palghat-Malappuram.

http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...7613&BV_ID=@@@
ontheroad is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 08:37   #19
Zed
BHPian

I was on the highway from Trichur to Cochin yesterday and plesantly surprised that most motorists were driving at 70-80kmph. I was not aware of the recent initiatives taken by the transport commissioner to improve the traffic situation in the state.
I wasnt sure what the speed limit was (Opportunity for imporvement : Speed limits must displayed clearly and at frequent intervals) and when one of my co passengers informed me that the limit was 70 kmph - I switched to cruise control and it was complete bliss for the next hour or so. Kudos to the authorities for taking a bold stand and implementing a system that seems to work. I got the impression that I reached the airport a lot quicker than I usually do The lack of proper markings for lane endings (at sections where three lanes merge into two) is a disastrous omission and I had two close calls on account of cars " panic merging" into my (middle) land when they recognized that their lanes were ending. This and the fact that pedestrians cross the road with gay abandon even at night marred an otherwise pleasant driving experience. Oh - and the truckers that drive hog the overtaking lane

Last edited by Zed : 2nd January 2014 at 08:40.
Zed is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:01   #20
BHPian

In connection with the New Year celebrations, the police have registered cases against 1685 persons for drunken driving. As much as 290 persons are expected to loose their driving license. More persons from the rural area were involved in the drunken driving!

source: manorama daily dated 2nd Jan 14'
KL01BE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

People using the Vytilla - Kundanoor stretch. Few updates:

1) Highway patrol stationed just after Vytilla junction near KR Bakes - Most of the time
2) Speed camera opp Hotel Wyte Fort - Working now
3) Interceptor stationed on the highway opp Audi Showroom near Kundanoor junction - Not always

Kundanoor - Vytilla:
1) Interceptor stationed on the highway just before Thykoodam bridge, near Global Tyres - Not always
2) Interceptor stationed on the highway opp Renault Showroom near Vytilla junction - Not always

Speed to be kept below 70kmph in this stretch always as they can show up anytime. Fine is around 300-400
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:34   #22
BHPian

Any idea on which forum to send suggestions to traffic police?
Need to request placing of a camera on the Kesavadasapuram junction, where a big 'No Right turn' board is placed.

MVD can get the return on investment within few days.
People rarely follows that, causing huge traffic jams and numerous rear endings.
sarathlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Need to request placing of a camera on the Kesavadasapuram junction, where a big 'No Right turn' board is placed.
Is that in front of Kedaram, both directions? Kesavadasapuram junction is already 'manned' by cameras (look at the white/silver high masts inside the circle or the road side), but I guess they are after only serious offenses.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Is that in front of Kedaram, both directions? Kesavadasapuram junction is already 'manned' by cameras (look at the white/silver high masts inside the circle or the road side), but I guess they are after only serious offenses.

Yes it is that place. Hope they give some importance to this as well, as it will help atleast a dozen cars a day from getting rear ended due to sudden braking, plus avoid traffic snarl in front of that shopping complex.
sarathlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 12:26   #25
BHPian

Heads up! Kerala MVD begins aggressive enforcement of lane discipline-img_20140128_082232.jpg

How many lane discipline violations can you spot on the above shot ? Shot was taken from the Hospital Road at KPCC Jn Signal, MG Road, Ernakulam on 28th Jan 2014 at 08:22 AM. There was not much traffic as it was only 8 AM. All the three Private buses had to turn right at the signal and were trying to overtake each other. BTW, this is a "2 way road" and there is a divider at the middle. In order to out run the first one, 2nd one has stopped on the Rightside of the first one blocking the opposite lane and he is planning to cut across through the opposite lane. Then comes a scooter, which stops still on the Right of the 2nd Bus!

Last edited by Aditya : 31st January 2014 at 13:09. Reason: Inserting picture properly
philgrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 12:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

I don't see any enforcement of lane discipline. People still continue to drive on the roads like a bunch of kindergarten kids let out at playtime. The trucks, buses and slow amby taxis still continue to hog the 'fast' lane, while most others drive right in between the two lanes effectively blocking both.

Forget the MVD, even god can't make these bunch of morons drive in a disciplined manner.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 16:21   #27
BHPian

Another initiative from Kerala MVD. Transport commissioner Mr Rishiraj Singh has said that they are planning to install gps with data connection in Bullet tankers entering Kerala. The gps will be installed in the RTO check posts in border and will be taken back when the tanker leaves the state. This will enable RTO to track the speed and location of tankers in Kerala. The project will be implemented in a months time.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140130_162053.png
Views: 1209
Size:  874.3 KB
ontheroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 12:54   #28
BHPian

MVD goes strict on wrong side overtaking
Quote:
Thiruvananthapuram: After the massive drive against two wheeler riders sans helmet, the state transport commissionorate has launched a state wide drive to curtail the practice of overtaking vehicles on left side.

According to transport commissioner Rishi Raj Singh here on Thursday, the decision to book the negligent and dangerous way of overtaking vehicles through left side was taken as part of the efforts to bring down the number of road accidents and related deaths.
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...=1391152796237
darklord is offline   Reply With Quote