Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th August 2013, 22:33   #16
BHPian

Default re: Why I don't use Public Transport

I've started taking the bus on my way back from work now.

I don't take them during mornings because
a. there isn't a direct bus
b. it's quite packed during these hours (9-11 hrs).
c. variable total travel times affect my work day

I take an auto instead.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 14:53   #17
BHPian

Well. I live in Kolkata. The metro station is just 500 mts from my place.

I travel to office in my car. Reason : The mad rush in metro. I am not against taking a public transport but for me it has to be comfortable at first. I am simply not interested in pushing myself in the metro and standing there with literally no place to move.

Weekend situations : Surprisingly when if my Wife & I plan to go on weekend shopping, We always travel in the metro as it is usually not that cramped on weekend (especially in the afternoon). This saves us time as well as the parking hassle( big problem in some parts of the city).

Therefore, until the public transport becomes a little comfortable in India, I will always be skeptical about using it.
PapaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 22:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

The distance between my home and office is 22 to 27 KM or so, depending on the route I take when I drive my car (through short cuts), which takes one hour to one hour and a quarter. However, if I go only by public transport, the distance increases to 38 KMs. Also, I will have to board at least 3 buses, so it takes me at least 2 hours.

There are no AC buses for me for the first 2 legs (21 + 13 KMs). The last leg is only 4 KMs long. I tried going by bus once, and swore I'll never go again. I had to stand on the rear axle of the junk bus that had leaf spring suspensions, as men are not allowed in the front half of the bus. By the time I completed the first 2 legs, I had such a bad back ache that I had to take half day sick leave and go back home by the same buses and suffer more.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 03:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Adding my 2 cents as why I don't prefer public transport...

- Lost wealth, lost health can be gained to some extent, but certainly lost time is never ever found; public transports are never ever on time
- When I started the adventure on second sleeper class by train with the family, I had to get used to swalpa adjust maadi on the reserved compartment; had to part with people who board down at Jolarpet junction (Trivandrum Mail) around 10:00 PM; until then we'd to stay awake, can't close the seats to make berth
- Sometimes we're entertained (nuisance) with live music through pseudo Rahman & SPB with sleeper tabla
- So we moved on Third A/C which was convenient from all these menace; it was short lived after couple of years. People started walking up & down, leaving the A/C door open & we'd to do a part time door keeper job
- That is when we shifted to 2nd A/C, though it was very expensive for a family, we had to keep moving to avoid hearing live music & part time jobs
- That is when the infamous IRCTC started making a living hell for all of us, which I don't need to say. I could even get an appointment to meet Mr Obama, but, not a seat via IRCTC. And even if I get one, it's next to the toilet (another door man job)
- We couldn't obviously travel by public bus as most buses didn't have sleeper facility (then) + the menace of shifting the bus to continue the journey. In other words, there's no ease in journey with breaks + added overhead of luggage & kids

That made me think about the cost; one day I sat down to think hypothetically for a trip from Chennai to Trivandrum, it costs approximately Rs 1500 for one person via Train in 2AC. So for a family of 4 adults it easily costs Rs 12000 for the round trip. However on a least FE car, the cost works out to...
800 Km/14 Kmpl = ~58 liters of fuel X Rs 72 per liter = Rs 4176 for one way; both the ways it's not more than 10K which includes some local trip (which is added advantage & convenience if you have your own vehicle)

And not to mention the amount of time saved is awesome & the added pleasure of passion towards driving is...PRICELESS

Last edited by aargee : 8th August 2013 at 03:06.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 08:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Its been almost 3 years since I've taken a bus (even for once) for commute within the city. The only reason I can think of, for taking public bus transport is travelling to not so familiar locations with rumoured parking unavailability.

Nowadays, I get to take office transport and I prefer it even though I need to walk more than 3.5 daily. (Bus stop and back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
precisely from near CCD, BTM Lake Road) to Whitefield (precisely Accenture, Divyasree Technopark which doesn't even feature on Google maps).
OT: But its very clearly mentioned in google maps, atleast since last Feb. I shifted location from Chennai to Bangalore, and drove 30 kms to office next day only with the help of google maps on my mobile.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 09:52   #21
BHPian

I personally think the other way round than what the topic says mainly because of my need. Everything comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Here are the main advantages and disadvantages of the public transport being discussed over and over again.

Advantages:
1. Reduces your carbon foot print. Doing your bit for the environment.
2. Don't have to break your head in traffic-the driver will.

Disadvantages:
1. Flexibility ( of time and destination )
2. comfort ( depends on the bus you are taking and if you get a seat). The bus- I meant if you travel in a regular bus, or an air conditioned one.

I would have definitely preferred a 2 Wheeler. Since I don't have one, and the car stays in my native-the preferable option is public transport.

Planning to buy a cycle though-for fitness!
kash_pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 12:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I would have loved to do my bit for the environment, but what keeps me from it is:

1. Walk fair bit, which can delay me for office.
2. The buses in our city are not comfortable. I may not even get a seat.
3. I have to change buses/ shared auto, to reach my office.
4. At times, when I work late in the evenings , I may not get buses or auto altogether; our's is not a metro city.
5. Flexibility of destination & timings is among the greatest factors.
6. Its time taking and I don't want to reduce the time I spend at home by coming late

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 13:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

I dont take public transport because among other things I dont want:
- to keep standing for a bus connection and mutate into a sundried or drenched or smoked (as in polluted) version of myself
- to end up with crumpled clothes and soiled shoes
- to test my olfactory sense by being in the same square foot of space for a sustained duration with folks who have not been introduced to the concepts of soap, water, talcum powder or deodorants
- to test my stretching abilities by being pushed into different yogasanas or twister (the board game) type moves
- to test my ability to fit in box by squeezing my limbs into the space that is called a seat
- to push the boundaries of personal space
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 14:49   #24
BHPian

I use my motorcycle for commuting to office. Its roughly a 50 km ride up and down in the crazy BLR traffic, but I have started enjoying it.
(I travel from SanjayNagar near Hebbal to Global Village, Mysore road)

I had the option of taking office bus (no cabs), but it meant I should give 1.5-2 hours extra on a daily basis. Also, it wasn't cheaper by a big margin.

Simple list of pointers that help me maintain my cool almost all the time:
1. Let the other rider (who is in a hurry) pass. Avoid danger.
2. Don't have any sort of eye contact/make remarks with/to the Jaan Ibrahims that rule BLR roads.
3. Don't race, ride at a steady pace.
4. Carry a face wash to office, because dust piles up on the face even with the visor dropped.

I carried out an experiment a month back. (I take Global Village - ORR - Yeshwantpur - Mekhri Circle - Bellary Rd - Sanjaynagar route while returning home.)
Normally it takes me 60-65 mins reaching home in the chaotic traffic, riding with the traffic; like the traffic.
One day, I followed speed limits. 50 kmph all the way. Max I saw on the speedo was 52 kmph. I braked less, accelerated less, shifted less and of course I'd have achieved better mileage. It took me 60 min to reach.
Repeated the same next day. 63 odd min. I reached home faster while going slower (apparently).

Now, I just ensure that I'm not too slow for the traffic and stay in my comfort zone of 50-55 kmph in city and allow morons to pass through. No road rage, no annoyance!

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 13th August 2013 at 14:50. Reason: spell check
Divya Sharan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 15:51   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Why I don't use Public Transport

I used to use the Mumbai lifelines (local trains) when I first started working here. It was almost always on time, and ensured quick transit between points A and B.
However over the 3 years that I used the trains, I noticed that the number of passengers has nearly tripled. Whereas it used to be pretty comfortable before, now it's so crowded that I don't even get breathing space.
This has forced me to forfeit that option in favour of my car and company transport. :(
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 16:26   #26
BHPian

I use my car everyday to reach my office and to return back. I think this is simply because I am possibly too lazy to walk up to the bus stand, wait for the very much overcrowded bus to arrive and also to ride it for almost an hour to reach my place of work. Taking my car is much more easier and simple. You just take it out of the garage and reach your office (thankfully my office has adequate parking place). And though I have to pay more for my journey (mine is a petrol car), it saves time and is more comfortable too.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 11:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Pune's public transport is a joke.

I am borne and brought up in Pune and till date nothing has improved in the transport system, except that the fares keep going higher and higher.

Also its next to impossible to travel by the local transport to my office location, since there is no direct bus. I would have to change 2-3 buses which would take about 1-1.5 hours. The buses have poor suspensions and you are prone to suffer from back pain and all. So all in all, its a strict NO for me.

I had been to Banglore a few times and I must admit that the public transport totally rocks, compared to the Pune's system.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 11:42   #28
BHPian

Red face Re: Why I don't use Public Transport

I would prefer travelling in Public transport any day. I commute between Indirapuram & Gurgaon which is total of 112 kms(Up-Down) by road.

When i drive(With Dad):
1. Takes me 3 hours, i leave home by 8:30 AM.
2. The number of cars in the capital city is 3 times as compared to any other metro. Its a complete chaos on the roads. To make it worse, most of drivers change lanes without indication and their ORVMs are folded.Not to miss, they love talking on the mobile while driving.(I always observe this at the tollgates on NH-8 while entering/leaving Gurgaon,Entire Gazipur stretch)
3. By the time i reach Gurgaon. I am tired, stressed and i have to face the same thing on way back.

When I take the Public transport:
1.Takes me 1.5 hours, i leave home by 7:00 AM.
2. Park the car at the nearest metro station which is 4 kms away.Take the metro till MG Road.
3. Share auto to Sector 14,Gurgaon.
4. I get a place to sit in the metro for the first 15 mins of my journey, if i manage to reach RC before 7:45 AM i again get a seat all the way till MG road.

I avoid travelling in the car as my Dad does not leave before 8:30 AM, i am pretty much sure that the travelling time would be reduced to 2 hours if we start leaving at 7 AM.
Given the bad driving etiquette(High beams in B2B traffic,Green means HONK as much as you can,Not using ORVMS,No indicators,Talking on the phone) its a pain to drive anywhere in the City. I find Delhi metro very comfortable and would prefer any day over driving(Most of them wont agree given the crowd that takes the metro,but i am used to travelling in the Mumbai Lifeline for almost 12 years! Compared to that i find the metro very comfortable)
sinharishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 11:49   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Pune's public transport is a joke.

I am borne and brought up in Pune and till date nothing has improved in the transport system, except that the fares keep going higher and higher.

Also its next to impossible to travel by the local transport to my office location, since there is no direct bus. I would have to change 2-3 buses which would take about 1-1.5 hours. The buses have poor suspensions and you are prone to suffer from back pain and all. So all in all, its a strict NO for me.

I had been to Banglore a few times and I must admit that the public transport totally rocks, compared to the Pune's system.
Completely agree with you.. Pune's PMPML Buses belong to stone age. I work in Pune and stay in Kothrud. My office is in Kalyaninagar. There is no company transport, so initially i decided to use PMPML service. Bad decision it was , as it used to take me 2 hrs to travel a distance of 16kms. Firstly travel upto PMC , Take a second bus from there, crowd, bikering conductors etc. Or else travel to Pune station ( Bus here travels through all the zig zag small lanes of pune) . Finally frustrated you reach Pune station , then take a rick till kalyaninagar. Had enough of that torture for 1 month.
Now am travelling by a bike. Takes me only 30 min to reach in the morn and around 45 min in the traffic in the evening.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 11:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I get a place to sit in the metro for the first 15 mins of my journey, if i manage to reach RC before 7:45 AM i again get a seat all the way till MG road.
I am a bit confused. Did you intend to say last 15 minutes of your journey? If not, what happens after 15 minutes? is it one of those jump seats in the standing area?
Just curious, we dont have a metro here in Pune. so not sure how it is designed there
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote