Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th October 2014, 16:31   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Why I don't use Public Transport

I feel this overall hate for public transport will only grow manifold because of just one thing and ie the will to improve is not there deep down within the folks who manage this. It just does not tick. Then even if you give us a Metro, or a Bullet, it will all be the same. Swanky places turn into litter bins, freshly painted walls turn red courtesy you know what. The burgeoning population only adds to it. So all of us are just left to choice that is to get our own vehicles. For the world's second most populous country which still cannot give its cities basic means of transportation, well a lot of water seems to have traveled under the bridge. Terribly saddening!

Thanks to His grace we have our own means to scoot around, my heart goes out to all those who literally sweat it out to travel far, wide or near. Hats off people!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2014, 16:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

Stopped using public transportation 3 years ago.
1) Daily office commute:
I was using Local train to office once. My home is 2km away from railway station. I used to take my 2 wheeler from home to station and gifted with plenty of scratches in my bike (thanks to fellow users of 2 wheeler parking) and few instance of Petrol theft and broken indicators. I didn't care much until I was using my TVS Star Sport, when I switched to RX, I couldn't resist this anymore. So avoided using public transportation.

2) Travelling to home town:
Most of my travel to my hometown will be unplanned trips, so it became next to impossible to get train tickets now-a-days. Bus tickets were close to 600~700 INR / person (Chennai-Coimbatore) along with local transportation will exceed 3000 INR round trip for a couple, which is almost same as the fuel + toll expense in car.

I knew I'm going against the health of our planet, but insufficient and inefficient public transportation is forcing me to do so.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2014, 18:25   #93
Senior - BHPian

I'm driving to work everyday in my car and it is still the economical choice when compared to the public transport alternatives.

Option 1: RTC buses - have to take 3 buses to reach the office that is 7 km away. Considering their frequency, I'll reach office by afternoon if I start in the morning.

Option 2: Use the share-auto option where 8 people travel in a 1+3 seater auto-rickshaw. Cost ~30. Too risky and inconvenient considering I've to carry a laptop bag.

Option 3: Take a direct auto to work. Cost ~100-120. Autos in Hyderabad would not agree to go for anything less than Rs. 50-60 for that route since they can get more than that with the share option even with 4-5 people.

Option 4: Office transport bus. Available only at the fixed time window when there is maximum traffic on the road. They'll stop only if there are seats left and mine being one of the last stops before office, it is not a guarantee. I'll have to wait on the road side and inhale all the exhaust gases from the crawling traffic for at least 15-20 minutes on most days.

Option 5: 14 km round trip in my petrol Swift. Cost same as auto (or even lesser) and added comfort of AC as well as better safety compared to the reckless auto drivers. Moreover, I can choose to travel during lean traffic hours or take short cuts bypassing main roads.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 09:16   #94
BHPian

I am from Mumbai but work in Pune. On certain weekends i am in Mumbai also. In Pune I travel by company bus which is the best option.
In Mumbai currently for Diwali holidays and I cannot imagine traveling in local trains (although I have traveled in them for 6 years in college times). Just cannot fathom going in trains daily if I were to have a job in Mumbai.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
raksrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 17:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

What people don't talk about much is the time value of money.

For me, from home to the nearest Metro Station is about 6 km away. I can do this in the following ways
1) Change 2 buses -spending Rs 25 and about 20 mins in waiting time plus another 30 mins in travel time
2) Take an Auto - spending Rs 60/- about 10 min in waiting /haggling time and 15~20 mins in travel time
3) Wait for the Metro shuttle - spending Rs 15 and about 45 mins in waiting time, and 30 mins in travel time (route is little longer).

From the metro to my office (including a change over at Rapid Metro) , cost is around Rs 30, spending about 45 mins in travel time, and 5 - 10 mins changing over at the terminus, and another 10 mins of walking time to the office.

At worst case I end up spending Rs 45 and spend over two hours traveling one way.
At best case , I end up spending Rs 90 and 1 hour 20 mins traveling one way.

When I take my car , my average expenditure is around Rs 140 for the trip, and it takes just 40 mins door to door.

For me the choice is between the 40 mins that I save vs the Rs 50 that I spend extra.
Considering that I also get to take along my laptop (no shoulder/neck pain) and do light shopping on the way back, the car is obviously the better choice.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 17:43   #96
BHPian

Where I live, (A Hyderabad suburb) there is no public transportation at all. I can use the company transport but it means I have to stick to the 9 to 6 office hours - Something that doesn't work for me. Hence driving to work everyday in a mammoth XUV500 - I am probably the worst offender as far as carbon footprint is concerned.

Contemplating buying a two wheeler to reduce that footprint. But have a mental block against two wheelers after spending a couple of days in ICU some years ago - thanks to a jaywalker on Chennai's East Coast Road.
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 18:07   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Seeing many BLR folks here, can you tell us, if the "take the bus day" initiative of the BMTC helps in reducing traffic that particular day, or whether it has helped in more people taking the bus?
Mine is going to be a 2marks answer to your question

The bus day is a good initiative, it has not reduced the number of vehicles on the road, but it surely has increased the number of people taking the bus. Don't ask me how, but that is just how it is.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 20:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Mine is going to be a 2marks answer to your question

The bus day is a good initiative, it has not reduced the number of vehicles on the road, but it surely has increased the number of people taking the bus. Don't ask me how, but that is just how it is.
Did it end up being a situation where people who used to use bus in the past ended up using personal transport on the bus day due to the extra crowd?
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 13:51   #99
BHPian

Why I don't use public transport?

Just one look at my location justifies why. A city with near to non-existent public infrastructure "compared" to cities in its class. Yes, even the garbage management is a failure here. To add more insult to the injury, Pune will be celebrating so-called Pune Bus Day on the 4th of November.

I've lived in Mumbai and despite owning vehicles, I've preferred public transport there any regular day. Here I don't have a choice and end up paying fuel/maintenance bills almost as much as my rent.

PS. Looking forward to the next PMC elections...
jagzrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 14:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Why I don't use public transport?

Just one look at my location justifies why. A city with near to non-existent public infrastructure "compared" to cities in its class. Yes, even the garbage management is a failure here. To add more insult to the injury, Pune will be celebrating so-called Pune Bus Day on the 4th of November.

I've lived in Mumbai and despite owning vehicles, I've preferred public transport there any regular day. Here I don't have a choice and end up paying fuel/maintenance bills almost as much as my rent.

PS. Looking forward to the next PMC elections...
To be honest, I remember staying in Pune around 2003 period.
I always used the city buses and found the transportation pretty adequate - based on comparison with other cities. You can assume a typical route like Nidgi to Paud Road to Hadapsar etc

So I don't think the public transport in Pune is any worse than other cities as such.

Basically all public transport in all Indian cities is pretty basic and low frills.
And that's what turn us motorcycle and car owners off.
No a/c, no elbow room, no seats, slow speed, high noise, stench etc
And we try to mask it by saying public transport is bad.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 14:19   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Did it end up being a situation where people who used to use bus in the past ended up using personal transport on the bus day due to the extra crowd?
I have no idea as I have not a used public transport in a long time. The reason why I said the number of vehicles on the road are same as I do not find any difference on the bus day and a normal day, but I hear a lot more people speak about traveling in a bus on that particular day.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 14:39   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To be honest, I remember staying in Pune around 2003 period.
I always used the city buses and found the transportation pretty adequate - based on comparison with other cities. You can assume a typical route like Nidgi to Paud Road to Hadapsar etc
There are lot of buses on common routes like you said and needless to say they are crowded in peak hours, not a problem with me, but there's absolutely zero connectivity between roads like Satara Road, Sinhagad Road, Karve Road, Paud Road and Pashan Road. I've not even considered Baner, Hinjewadi and Wakad. You always have to go to the center of the city and say I have to travel from Dhayari, Sinahgad Road to Bavdhan my daily route, it will take more than 90 mins one-way to cover a measly 14 kms by
public transport. And there's no direct connectivity, nada, zilch.

It's 11 years since 2003 and lot of outer areas have developed. The city areas which were there in 2003 are mostly well covered even today.

It's much worse than you think unless you live and travel to perfect prime areas like Kothrud Depo to Shivajinagar and the like.

Comparison to Mumbai because there such huge availability of options in reasonable travel times. I don't mind the rush or lack of comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
So I don't think the public transport in Pune is any worse than other cities as such.

Basically all public transport in all Indian cities is pretty basic and low frills.
And that's what turn us motorcycle and car owners off.
No a/c, no elbow room, no seats, slow speed, high noise, stench etc
And we try to mask it by saying public transport is bad.
As far as my requirements go, I just need availability while a/c, seating, comfort, noise hardly matters. I also don't mind switching buses given the frequency and availability but even that's not possible here. Total 3 hours in a day wasted to travel just 14 kms is pitiable enough.
jagzrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 22:56   #103

Had I been using govt transportation, I wouldn't have been here. Can't get enough of on steering time.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st October 2014 at 23:01. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
satnjyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 09:44   #104
BHPian

My office is 7 Km from home and both the places are amidst one of the highest frequency routes' , yet I am forced to take my bike or car due to the following reasons. [ I stay in Nallakunta, office is Punjagutta] .
I tried thrice to use public transport but not even one incident instilled confidence. Every time, it was a overcrowded bus with a ranting conductor. The third time, I was asked to get down since I did not have the change .

1. Most unreliable timings of the buses . [ Buses seem to come only when not needed ]
2. High rush during peek hours. You have to perform all kind of gymnastics to get into the bus .
3. High probability of not getting a seat. You end up standing.
4. Hostility of the staff [ they are irritated with the presence of your backpacks or laptop bags hanging around you] and would definitely keep pushing you .
5. Eternal change problem.
poised2drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 13:38   #105
BHPian

If the public transport was more frequent, convenient and offered more direct routes I would not mind taking public transport.

It has been a while since I took Mumbai local but I am sure bit overcrowding would not be a big issue for me.
TMRT is offline   Reply With Quote