Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th November 2014, 23:51   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Why I don't use Public Transport

I don't use BMTC/the office bus for the following reasons,
1. There are no BMTC buses from my place to my office. Even from the central bus station, the number of buses is less. If I decide to take one BMTC till the central bus station and another one from there, it'll take more than 2 hours of time at best. My bike takes 45-50 minutes on an average.
2. The distance between my place and the bus stop is 1.5 km. It's not really easy to walk that distance when I'm late and I won't get another bus if I miss it. That means if I miss the bus, I'd need to walk back and take my bike to office. Also, there isn't any proper parking place for me to park a bicycle/motorcycle around the bus stop. So I can't use the option of riding till the bus stop too.
3. The office bus doesn't let me make use of the timing flexibility provided by the company(not a big issue)
4. Cost - I need to pay around 2.9k a month to use the bus. 5k+ in case of a Volvo.
When I joined this company, the fuel costs were higher than present. Back then, the fuel costs for commute on my bike were touching around 1.7K. So, the choice was easy. Now with the current fuel costs, it has come down to around 1.4k a month. Mine is not a highly fuel efficient 100cc commuter either. My bike returns around 45kmpl. Even with that, costs are less than half.
So, when I can save time, money and when personal transportation is a lot more convenient, why would I?

But, looking at the traffic density and the traffic behavior in the city, which is getting worse at a rapid rate day by day, I feel it's better to sacrifice all the things I said earlier and take the public transport.
Who knows, the public transport might save my limbs or life one day and it will definitely protect my lungs a lot better from the Diesel smoke I get to inhale from the yellow boards throughout my commute on my bike.

Last edited by theredliner : 13th November 2014 at 23:53.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 15:01   #107
BHPian

Default Re: Mix of Public Transport (Trains), Office Cab & Personal Car/Bike

I would have loved to use the public transport everyday, however my journey to office is as good as a part-time job. Being based out of Mumbai, public transport is much better than most of the cities in India and is improving in regards to infrastructure but getting worse due to number of vehicles that get added every passing day.

Distance to office- 65 Kms (Round Trip) / Cadell Road (Shivaji Park) to Mindspace, Airoli

I use the following options, depending on what I prefer or situation demands on any given day :-

Option A - Drive (Xylo)
This is an extremely expensive option for considering my truck returns an average of 11-12 Kmpl ( 10 Ltrs of Diesel) and toll (35/- one way) that costs a lot for daily use. Prefer car on days when I have sudden meet to attend or monsoons. Avoid taking the car as I feel lonely while alone past midnight in a car that's as good as a Studio Apartment.
Cost - 700/- Approximately including toll
Time Taken - 2 Hours (Round trip)

Option B - Ride (CBR 250)
Riding down is the most convenient and fastest mode of transport. However, only issue is carry the laptop (office property) while riding down which keeps me very conscious at all times.

Also, riding in formals (with riding jacket) is an issue due to which I prefer taking the bike on Thu & mostly Fridays when I wear Smart Casuals.
Cost - 160/- All inclusive
Time Taken - 1.5 Hours (Round trip)
Option C - Train
Not as convenient as it might be for most as I have to take a train from Dadar to Thane and then take another one to Airoli. Also, walking down to dadar station can be cumbersome (sweaty & messy) as no cabbies are willing to come a short distance of 1.5kms. Rarely use this option though (twice in last one year).
Cost - 50/- Round Trip
Time Taken - 2.5 Hours (Round trip)
Option D - Office Cab (options - Xylo, Indica, Dzire or Nissan Evalia)
The cheapest of all and very convenient (but time consuming), as there is a fixed cost of 1600/- for ac cabs . However, in this case I have to take a cab to get from West to East (cost: 40/- & time- 30 mins) to get to the pick point. Post my pick up, the cab takes 1 hour to get to office as there are 3-4 more individuals who will be picked up on the way which is extremely boring and I have been using this time to watch movies on my phone/tab. Return trip is equally agonizing, cause there are home drops and I am the last one to get off. So the journey back home also takes roughly 1.5 hours.

Despite the time taken, I still use this option the most as I can watch movies or catch up on some sleep which I have been deprived of due to long commute that leaves me with very little time at home. Also, it's the cheapest and though long, it is still very convenient due to office cabs being in good condition and early bird advantage of getting the front seat.
Cost - 2500/- (Per Month)
Time Taken - 3.5 Hours (Round trip)
Only solution I see here is, a Job Change to some place closer. Hoping my Business Head is not a member or does not recognize me by my last name.

Last edited by mantrig : 14th November 2014 at 15:06.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 14:02   #108
BANNED

I would prefer to take a public transport, but that would mean that I have to take 2 busses, walk for almost 2kms to reach my office. This is when considering that the total distance from home to office is around 13kms. Needless to say, I stick to my car or scooter and office cab once or twice a year.
ILTDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 20:22   #109
Senior - BHPian

You mean another reason apart from the one that auto-drivers fleece me everytime I decide to take one and only go by the meter 1 out of 10 times?

In the capital, auto-rickshaws are the most convenient because they can take you from one corner of the city to another, through the most narrow of lanes and widest of roads. However, rickshaw pullers are more honest (or should I say less dishonest) than these guys.

I really used to enjoy auto-rickshaw rides whenever I used to go to Malad (W) in Mumbai but dare I try and rely on the auto-rickshaws here in Delhi. They are the most dishonest of all folks running public transport.

Secondly, the weather here is such that almost 8-9 months in a year one ends up sweating like a pig if they walk even a hundred meters so going to the bus stop or metro station is a task. I can't imagine turning up somewhere all sweaty and smelly.

But I'll come back to the point that if auto-rickshaws would ply the way they do in Mumbai, I'd prefer taking them at least 7-8 times out of 10 when I have no choice but to take out my car.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 16:54   #110
BHPian

Default Why I don't use Public Transport

I think the answer to cleaner trains and cleaner surrounding is closed doors, closed windows and some more dustbins in the trains and on the stations mind you that also means some extra bucks for the fare

London, HK, Singapore trains rock! I absolutely don't mind public transport!!

There is a group on Facebook "I pledge to keep India clean and green". Feel free to join and contribute your thoughts.

Last edited by TMRT : 6th December 2014 at 16:58.
TMRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:09   #111
BHPian

The place where I work is 40kms from my home. By public transport, it takes me 2 hours and by bike, it takes me 1 and a half hour.
I prefer to take the public transport due to the following reasons.
  • Its convenient for me.
  • I catch the bus from the bus-stand and travel all the way to the other stand and so that solves the issue of not getting a seat even while I return.
  • It rains here a lot and I don't drive (yet).
  • The route is more or less city the entire way. And that too with extremely narrow and crowded streets.
  • I get really tired after riding for like 90 minutes through the traffic one way.
  • I can sit back, relax and listen to my mp3 while I'm on the way.
  • I check my mails, make a few phone calls while i travel.
  • The roads are full of Idiots. Every day i take my bike, I always feel like someone somewhere is preparing an ambush to kill me.
  • The route I take to the office has regular buses every 15 minutes in the morning and in the evening.
  • Its cheaper because I only have to pay Rs.80 (two way) by bus and Rs.120 by bike.
  • I leave the office by 6pm and on some days by 7 pm. The on-coming drivers simply refuses to dim the light and that frustrates me very much.
  • The road works are never over here and I always have to lookout for big potholes particularly on my way back and not to mention the light from the on coming drivers blinding me.
  • City riding is a pain.
  • I have a feeling that a bus is safer than a bike.
  • My parents can relax.
I'm sure i can mention more points if I think harder. But The above are the reasons why I prefer to take the bus. My point about the road being full of Idiots being the most important. I understand that not a lot of people enjoy such luxuries taking the bus everyday.

What I have to sacrifice for taking the bus.
  • The Convenience to leaving home at my own time.
  • I have to walk a kilometer from my home to reach the bus stand. And after reaching the bus stand, another kilometer to the office. So that's 4 kilometer a day. (And that's not so bad. I'm 22 years old and I can gladly run that far. )
So I guess the odds are in the favor of the Public transport.

EDIT

Even if I had to stand in bus due to the non availability of seat all the way to the office and back, I still think the bus is a safer bet. I take great joy in offering my seat to a senior citizen of a parent with a toddler in his/her hand. I love considering myself a Samaritan.

Last edited by msrsooraj : 2nd April 2015 at 15:24.
msrsooraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:28   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
.....I prefer to take the public transport due to the following reasons.......
Yours is pretty much an ideal scenario, which unfortunately is very rare in most cities. Nothing beats not having to ride/drive through rush hour traffic, so it's great if you have a convenient option.

As for the 4-km walk/day, if you have an IT job, you'll thank your stars a few years down the line for adding exercise to your daily routine.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:14   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
As for the 4-km walk/day, if you have an IT job, you'll thank your stars a few years down the line for adding exercise to your daily routine.

Yup, you said it.. Sometimes i feel like a piece of rotten vegetable; having to sit 9 hours a day staring into the computer screen. So yeah, anything that helps break a sweat is welcomed. And then I used to get frequent back pain while riding the bike for like a few hours. But after the 4 km walk per day and a game or two of Badminton after i reach home really helps. And you're right about my situation. I do enjoy certain luxuries that most people are denied.

Last edited by msrsooraj : 2nd April 2015 at 16:15.
msrsooraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 11:24   #114
BHPian

City: Bangalore
My reason: I was given a BMTC bus pass from office to be used as my company shifted to BMTC buses as cabs. Then I was told that the pass given to me can be used for any route in Bangalore. Last weekend I take the 201 (bus from Koramangala to Indranagar) and the conductor comes in to ask for tickets, I showed him my pass and he looked at me as if I was I had committed a crime by doing so. He asked me for 'ID card' and I promptly showed him my DL. He again looked at me and asked me to show the BMTC ID card. I was puzzled and confused, thats when a good person beside me informed that the Yellow monthly pass is accepted only if it is accompanied by the so called BMTC ID card. I am helpless and end up paying for the ticket. Can't blame the conductor for this as I wasn't well informed.
What annoys me is that BMTC is a government owned public transport service and why dont they accept govt ID proofs (DL, PAN card etc). What purpose does this ID serve to BMTC?
kp1992 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 13:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

^^ We have to carry the ID card issued by Southern railway if we travel in suburban train with a season ticket. They will not accept any other ID.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 14:19   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
kp1992: .. the Yellow monthly pass is accepted only if it is accompanied by the so called BMTC ID card.
you can get this ID card for 100/- at many BMTC offices.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 14:29   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1992 View Post
City: Bangalore
My reason: I was given a BMTC bus pass from office to be used as my company shifted to BMTC buses as cabs. Then I was told that the pass given to me can be used for any route in Bangalore. Last weekend I take the 201 (bus from Koramangala to Indranagar) and the conductor comes in to ask for tickets, I showed him my pass and he looked at me as if I was I had committed a crime by doing so. He asked me for 'ID card' and I promptly showed him my DL. He again looked at me and asked me to show the BMTC ID card. I was puzzled and confused, thats when a good person beside me informed that the Yellow monthly pass is accepted only if it is accompanied by the so called BMTC ID card. I am helpless and end up paying for the ticket. Can't blame the conductor for this as I wasn't well informed.
What annoys me is that BMTC is a government owned public transport service and why dont they accept govt ID proofs (DL, PAN card etc). What purpose does this ID serve to BMTC?
Go to any of the bus counters to get the BMTC ID card by paying Rs 100 and a photo. This is valid for 3 years.
To the best of my knowledge not all BMTC bus counters issue bus passes on all days. Once i went to BMTC depot near Vydehi hospital whitefield. The person there mentioned that bus pass will be issued till the 5th of every month only.
suresh_gs is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 15:06   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1992 View Post
I was puzzled and confused, thats when a good person beside me informed that the Yellow monthly pass is accepted only if it is accompanied by the so called BMTC ID card.
It is very easy to get this ID card - go to any BMTC bus stand where they issue these monthly pass with a photo and you will get it immediately (At least, it used to be like that).

PS: They insist on this to make sure that the monthly pass is indeed issued to you - to curb the practice of people sharing or using some one else's cards.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 29th May 2015 at 15:08.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 18:08   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ We have to carry the ID card issued by Southern railway if we travel in suburban train with a season ticket. They will not accept any other ID.
Ok, that was a useful piece of information. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
you can get this ID card for 100/- at many BMTC offices.
Yes sir I did enquire about it and found out that it was available in the BMTC offices/depots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Once i went to BMTC depot near Vydehi hospital whitefield. The person there mentioned that bus pass will be issued till the 5th of every month only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
It is very easy to get this ID card - go to any BMTC bus stand where they issue these monthly pass with a photo and you will get it immediately (At least, it used to be like that).
I got mine now. The BMTC helpdesk in my company provided one for free. (maybe company policy).
The process as told by those guys is: Fill out the details on an empty pass and stick a stamp sized photo over it. This will go to BMTC office for getting sealed and will be handed over within a week.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2015 at 18:23. Reason: Formatted Post
kp1992 is offline   Reply With Quote