Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th August 2013, 22:39   #1
BHPian

Default Hit and Run by a Meru Cab. How do I get compensation from them?

Today while coming back from MAlleshwaram to Hebbal, just before Mekhri circle, on the road parallel to the main road (the one that cars coming from Sadashivnagar takes towards left and later merge), a meru cab KA 53A 7448 hit us from back.

The bumper in our car is gone, he also suffered some damage. He came out and started abusing us saying we stopped so it was our fault. And he then just drove away challenging us to call police and do whatever we can.

We called 100 multiple times, except once, it always came busy. We called Meru cab complaints, they asked us to file a police complaints and did not help at all.

The cab drove very very rashly after fleeing from the scene.

We reported it to police police and they asked us to file a written complaint with Sadashivnagar police station.

Please suggest how we could get compensation from them.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 22:58   #2
BHPian

Default re: Hit and Run by a Meru Cab. How do I get compensation from them?

unfortunately the system is such in india that there is no way you can claim compensation from the other party directly that is why everyone is suppose to have insurance so even if someone is liable to pay the damages its that persons insurance company that does so and all this happens after a long process of filing an fir after which till the time both parties are presented in front of a magistrate both vehicles are impounded by the police so all in all you would not want to go down that road.

My suggestion to you would be to claim insurance if damage is severe otherwise get the car repaired locally but the chances of bringing the Meru driver to justice are pretty slim.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th August 2013 at 07:45. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 23:12   #3
BHPian

On Indian roads, one can get away with any offense and/or crime depending on their physical capabilities in a fist fight or the ability to bend justice based on position, influence, or money.

Everyone else may please bend over and pay up.

Sorry, I can't think of anything that might help you in your situation.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 23:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
he then just drove away challenging us to call police and do whatever we can.
Considering the number of cabs in the city, and the number of times they would have broken rules, I will not be surprised if there is a larger arrangement in place, and this guy is possibly using that as a shield.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 00:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

Why not just register a complain with Meru? It may not work but worth a shot.

Shoot off an e-mail with pictures and even see if Meru has a FB page. Spread the word and they may end up taking some action.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 00:51   #6
BHPian

Still, go and file a Hit & Run case in the respective traffic police station. You will anyways need proof for insurance claim (I know you can get it done even without one).

To be on a safer side legally, you should file a case against that car. If you have a good police, they may follow it up. But you should be aware that you may be dragged into a court (extreme case, unless the taxi guy / police wont ask you to compromise) and you will have to spare time.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 04:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Did you take pictures? If you did, put it up with your complaint on BTP and on every single Social Media space including MERU FB Page.
The only way to get these scum to act is to embarrass them in public. Being a consumer service they will be forced to act.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th August 2013 at 07:46. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 06:46   #8
BHPian

Create a single slide and share it on BTP wall and also here. Lets spread it around. Social media can surely help.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th August 2013 at 07:46. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post
akshay380 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 06:49   #9
BHPian

The approximate place of accident is as below.

https://www.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...sz=18&t=m&z=18

Here is the photo.

Hit and Run by a Meru Cab. How do I get compensation from them?-wp_20130824_001.jpg

We did not find any police at Mekhri circle. We informed police station at Banaswadi and they spoke to Sadashivnagar police station and informed them. I also posted it on BTP facebook and within 10 minutes I was provided with email and phone details of Sadashivnagar police station. I emailed them the details and later when I spoke to them they were aware about the incident and asked me to visit the police station today. I have also lodged a complaint with Meru official website.
sumannandy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 07:26   #10
BHPian

sumannandy, Very sorry to know about this incident to you.

The road manners become so bad each day. And the sad part is, the system got somuch corrupted too. Recently, one of our my friend met with an accident. When he tried to file the accident in local police station, they called the both parities and settled the matter out of the court. But needless to say, they pulled the money from both parties.

Wildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 06:38   #11
BHPian

There was apparently another accident involving a nano and a meru cab at Sadashivnagar police station. The nano was at the police station. Apparently meru is becoming famous for accidents.

I feel sorry for the girl who was alone inside the cab that hit us. While I chased the car and tried to stop it while I was beside it, she was literally pleading us to let the cab go, and later the driver drove very very rashly cutting across cars leaving probably less than an inch of gap, left right all over.

Today I am going to meet with inspector.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 08:29   #12
Team-BHP Support

A lot of the problem lies with the driver having to meet a target to pay for the cab. He ends up being under pressure and overworked. If they allowed the cab to be used by two drivers who alternate, things would be a lot easier on them
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 08:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We did not find any police at Mekhri circle. We informed police station at Banaswadi and they spoke to Sadashivnagar police station and informed them. I also posted it on BTP facebook and within 10 minutes I was provided with email and phone details of Sadashivnagar police station. I emailed them the details and later when I spoke to them they were aware about the incident and asked me to visit the police station today. I have also lodged a complaint with Meru official website.
If you want to get compensated by Meru, please lodge an FIR and then send a notice to Meru. I doubt if they will take your online complaint seriously.

Do note that this might take a few years to settle. If you are lucky, a few months.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 10:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Once you file a hit and run case against the cab (hope you have the registration number) the traffic police do follow up even though it may take months, but eventually once the car is traced and the driver asked to be present in the traffic court, he is usually asked to pay a pittance as a fine and is free to go and continue his rash behaviour on the roads. That is why the cabs/autos arrogantly tell you to go ahead and do what you want. Meru is not known for pulling up it's drivers in such cases.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 11:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
And he then just drove away challenging us to call police and do whatever we can.
This story was narrated by a Meru driver in Mumbai:
The driver was once driving in heavy traffic (well, this is the norm in Mumbai). He scratched a car and that driver got angry, exchanged a few words, took Meru driver's license and went away. Meru driver noted the car reg number, went to the police station and complained that the other driver stole his license. The driver was called to the police station and made to go through the usual rigmarole and also cough up 25k!

Bottomline - fleet taxi operations are well oiled and well connected. Pray that you never get into their bad books.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote