Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 10:12   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,577
Thanked: 80,482 Times
Default re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

If the signals weren't working (and they don't seem to be, by the traffic movement), the Honda City had the right of way. Yes, she was overspeeding but the fact is, it was the van's job to give her the right of way. He was the one crossing across.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 10:26   #32
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 415
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There's no way that Honda left the spot.
Well, the reporter says that 'The driver of the Honda absconded along with her car after the accident and was arrested the next day'
I can't even imagine how that might have happened though, because the Honda looks dead.

Last edited by DeKay : 4th September 2013 at 10:27.
DeKay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 10:34   #33
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 831
Thanked: 124 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am surprised no one in her car requested her to slow down.
Regards
Sir, were you inside the City to make this statement?
The response of this incident from my fellow bhpians doesn't fail to surprise me. Just by seeing a 2 min clip how can we derive such conclusions that the lady did not try to help. We don't know the truth. Are we pure saints? Dont we speed occasionly. The passengers in the van were unfortunate. Who was at fault? Who to blame? We just can't say it. Maybe the lady was having an emergency . Maybe it was a genuine mistake . Maybe the van did not have seatbelts. Who knows. ? Tell me which one of us daily drivers have not had near accidents. We think we are the best and safest drivers untill we are involved in an incident as gruesome as this.

Last edited by Pancham : 4th September 2013 at 10:36.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 11:06   #34
BHPian
 
Arch-Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chn(Atrocity)
Posts: 552
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

I am yet to watch the video but to think it would be gruesome, i would better not watch it at all. Not being judgemental at either parties but i think if the signal was off at the night, more than half of us indians drive without looking at the surroundings and some tend to be "i own a license, i bought it" case who have no business behind the wheel whatsoever. Emergency or not, we should push the throttle that far that you can't control it. Its all about setting limits for oneself while driving. Needless loss of life just because of not adopting the right driving practices. Prayers for the departed and the same for those who were injured to ensure a speedy recovery.

I sincerely hope the government does something about accidents being all too frequent and ensure people who know what they are doing alone get the license and be strict about it.
Arch-Angel is offline  
Old 4th September 2013, 11:19   #35
BHPian
 
searchingheaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: KDCA-KDFW-VOBL
Posts: 320
Thanked: 1,346 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2013 at 12:37.
searchingheaven is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th September 2013, 11:44   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

With all respect to deceased, I think it was more fault of Van driver. He just took turn without thinking for a second. Look at his turn without any hesitation. Honda driver should have been more cautious at crossings considering this is India but Van driver had a bigger responsibility. Honda might be doing around 80-90 kmph looking at the video.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 4th September 2013 at 11:47.
sushantr5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 11:58   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
1. When a woman is speeding above 90/100(in city roads) while sitting with her husband & sister, don't you think something is seriously wrong with her? As for the bail, she has been slapped with 304A. Why not 304 itself, when the evidence is so incriminating? With the kind of influence she has exhibited till now, you think she is going to take it seriously. FYI, the accident took place on 6 Aug, 2013. ever wondered why the police released the video so late?
Searching heaven, the difference between 304 & 304A is culpable homicide. Culpable homicide is defined as having an intention in one's mind to cause death to the other. I do not think that the lady went out that night with the intention to kill someone. Like you also admitted, it was an accident, with both parties appearing to be at fault. An accident is not culpable homicide, and therefore Section 304A, which is usually applied in case of traffic accidents. I do think you are being unfair or misinformed if you think that the lady has been charged with a lesser crime.

Regarding the video being released so late, well, I have no idea, and have not wondered why the police released the video so late, as you allege, but I think in government terms, any action in less than 30 days is actually considered very prompt.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 4th September 2013, 12:01   #38
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 749
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Thats a real shocking incident. I played it several times over since I have never ever seen such a horrific crash. It did bring out some glaring truths -
1) One has to be careful especially late nights while driving on busy intersection which are empty and definite accident traps.
2) A simple rule for driving that must be followed by each driver is that if you can't control then don't speed....or you are putting lots of people including yourself in harm's way. As you speed up the time to react reduces drastically. If you can't react on time incidents like this are bound to happen.
3) When crossing a traffic junction which may or may not have traffic lights always obey those lights. Let people honk . Those is a hurry always figure a way around. At the most they might curse you and rush off but let it be. There is no compromise in safety.
4) The way the van occupants got thrown out they probably were not wearing seat belts.
5) The absolute horrid speed of the Honda was scary and mostly the lady driving did not realise that there was a junction. And I did not see any indication of her trying to slow down. Or she was distracted or worse under influence of drugs or alcohol.
So please don't drink and drive or if you drink don't drive.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 13:22   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,818
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

There's no argument that both drivers were at fault, but the kind of speed the City was being driven at, it was a matter of when (& where) not if something would go wrong. Same can be said about the van driver's lack of driving sense.

We can all pull out the rule-book and point out mistakes by the van driver or City driver, but fact is majority of India doesn't drive by the rule-book, and it's plain suicidal (or homicidal, based on who dies in the incident) to drive at such speeds within city limits anywhere in India, time of day notwithstanding. Once dead, you stay dead no matter whose fault it was.

Your best safety device is situated between your ears. If you fail to use it, nothing else can help you.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 13:33   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The video doesn't show her running away, but it doesn't show her (or her co-passengers, if you believe the police account of her not being alone) trying to help either. If you get involved in a serious accident and are somehow left standing, the least you can do is check on the victims to see if you can do something. Not out of any compassion mind you, just cold common sense. A dead victim is a bigger issue than a hurt victim.
The Honda City would have been smashed too with the impact, and obviously the lady and her co-passengers would have taken some time to come out of the smashed car, which would have been beyond the duration of this video, thats probably why you do not see her or her co-passengers trying to help. Did it occur to you that they themselves might have been injured and therefore might not have been able to assist?
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 4th September 2013, 13:33   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,818
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If the signals weren't working (and they don't seem to be, by the traffic movement), the Honda City had the right of way. Yes, she was overspeeding but the fact is, it was the van's job to give her the right of way. He was the one crossing across.
Right of way, you say? It would be interesting to find out what percentage of India's driving population even knows what that phrase means, forget actually practicing giving & getting it.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 13:35   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Right of way, you say? It would be interesting to find out what percentage of India's driving population even knows what that phrase means, forget actually practicing giving & getting it.
Ignorance of a law, in no way diminishes the responsibility to abide by it. And the driver of the van should have known about " Right of Way" if he was a licensed driver.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 4th September 2013, 13:47   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,818
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Ignorance of a law, in no way diminishes the responsibility to abide by it. And the driver of the van should have known about " Right of Way" if he was a licensed driver.
That's where the problem is. The gap between 'should have known' and 'does know' is glaringly obvious on our roads.

The van driver should've known the other car had right of way, and should've indicated and waited for his turn to go. Conversely, the City driver should've known not to drive at the kind of speeds she was driving within city limits (I can't measure speeds on the video but suffices to say she was probably well over the indicated limit).

If we're going to argue who was at fault according to the rule-book, we'll deduce BOTH, which was my point from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
The Honda City would have been smashed too with the impact, and obviously the lady and her co-passengers would have taken some time to come out of the smashed car, which would have been beyond the duration of this video, thats probably why you do not see her or her co-passengers trying to help. Did it occur to you that they themselves might have been injured and therefore might not have been able to assist?
There's no report of any of the City's occupants being injured, is there? Why do you think that is? Did it occur to you that they might not have been injured at all, or not badly enough to stop them from leaving the scene?

I don't know for a fact whether the City's occupants were able or willing to help, but neither do you. It's all conjecture on both sides of this argument, so I'm willing to withdraw my point and let's not debate this angle any further given the lack of facts to support it.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th September 2013 at 15:40. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Plz use the edit button to reply within 30 mins of the previous post.
Chetan_Rao is offline  
Old 4th September 2013, 13:59   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If we're going to argue who was at fault according to the rule-book, we'll deduce BOTH, which was my point from the beginning.
Im not arguing as to who is at fault. I'm saying that lets leave it for the cops to investigate and the courts to decide who is at fault here. But I put it to you that you were wrong in alleging that the lady and her co-passengers did not assist in any way. Unless you know something that was not in the video and the news articles.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 4th September 2013, 14:06   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,818
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Im not arguing as to who is at fault. I'm saying that lets leave it for the cops to investigate and the courts to decide who is at fault here. But I put it to you that you were wrong in alleging that the lady and her co-passengers did not assist in any way. Unless you know something that was not in the video and the news articles.
I did concede I don't have all the facts and offered to withdraw my point about the 'helping' angle. Refer my previous post.
Chetan_Rao is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hotel Valet crashes Lamborghini Spyder in Delhi - CCTV footage inside PPS Super-Cars & Imports in India 107 16th July 2014 23:28
Woman on Scooty cheats death! Accident caught on CCTV Warwithwheels Street Experiences 74 22nd April 2013 19:50
Video footage: Opel Corsa vs Ferrari Modena quartermile. Guess who won? sAP Modifications & Accessories 26 24th June 2011 15:37
Yellow Lamborghini Gallardo SE in Pune!! Update - Now with in-car video footage!! Maverick5490 Super-Cars & Imports in India 36 28th October 2007 22:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks