Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 00:01   #61
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Sir, were you inside the City to make this statement?
The response of this incident from my fellow bhpians doesn't fail to surprise me. Just by seeing a 2 min clip how can we derive such conclusions that the lady did not try to help. We don't know the truth. Are we pure saints? Dont we speed occasionly. The passengers in the van were unfortunate. Who was at fault? Who to blame? We just can't say it. Maybe the lady was having an emergency . Maybe it was a genuine mistake . Maybe the van did not have seatbelts. Who knows. ? Tell me which one of us daily drivers have not had near accidents. We think we are the best and safest drivers untill we are involved in an incident as gruesome as this.
It is plain and simple logic that at intersections one slows down. The very fact that this lady made no attempt to slow down talks a lot about the lady's action. And I do not understand what is a "genuine mistake" and at what cost? To top it all she ran away from the scene of crime . Unpardonable offence!
sumathindra is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 00:01   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
304. Punishment for culpable homicide not amounting to murder.-- Whoever commits culpable homicide not amounting to murder shall be punished with 1[ imprisonment for life], or imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine, if the act by which the death is caused i Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai
s done with the intention of causing death. or of causing such bodily injury as is likely to cause death; or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, or with fine, or with both, if the act is done with the knowledge that it is likely to cause death, but without any intention to cause death, or to cause such bodily injury as is likely to cause death.
[/b]

Absolutely correct. Seeing some BHPians defending the lady is not understandable.
I know Section 304, now do you mind reading 304a? Its the section used for traffic accidents. You are assuming that the lady has been let off lightly because of extraneous factors, which is not the case. Since you seem to be well versed with the law, could you please cite a similar case where 304 has been applied?

No one at team bhp condones overspeeding and many people have already pointed out that both parties seem to be at fault, but its imperative that the police n judiciary take investigations further. You and me drawing our own half baked conclusions on the basis of a video is hardly appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
It is plain and simple logic that at intersections one slows down. The very fact that this lady made no attempt to slow down talks a lot about the lady's action. And I do not understand what is a "genuine mistake" and at what cost? To top it all she ran away from the scene of crime . Unpardonable offence!
Do you believe that the City could have just scooted off after such an impact??? Really???

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th September 2013 at 05:09. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. You have been informed even earlier on the same thread to edit the original post when replying within 30 mins of the previous post.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 00:05   #63
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Do you believe that the City could have just scooted off after such an impact??? Really???
No ways! In my earlier post I clearly articulated that the city just would not go further! She must have scooted on foot after gathering some strength after the impact.
sumathindra is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 00:20   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
No ways! In my earlier post I clearly articulated that the city just would not go further! She must have scooted on foot after gathering some strength after the impact.
Please tell me where was it mentioned that the lady ran away post accident. How did you arrive at this conclusion? I may have missed reading that.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 00:24   #65
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Please tell me where was it mentioned that the lady ran away post accident. How did you arrive at this conclusion? I may have missed reading that.
I have not concluded any thing, It's all over the news and on TV, well that's the source I referred and narrated on the forum.
sumathindra is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 00:36   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I have not concluded any thing, It's all over the news and on TV, well that's the source I referred and narrated on the forum.
I read the midday and mumbai mirror news reports, but was unable to locate any news article which said the city driver absconded. On the contrary, i read that the police did a blood test to determine whether she was drunk. Could you please post the links of the articles which mention that she absconded?
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 01:11   #67
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I read the midday and mumbai mirror news reports, but was unable to locate any news article which said the city driver absconded. On the contrary, i read that the police did a blood test to determine whether she was drunk. Could you please post the links of the articles which mention that she absconded?
She was arrested a day later and released on bail. Does this not imply she just walked away from then scene of the accident?
sumathindra is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 07:02   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 2,478 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Do you mean that the driver was innocent as he/she tried to avoid killing by using the brakes. He/she should not have been speeding while approaching a crossing at the first place.
Arey baba when did I say the speeding driver was innocent!!! I was just trying to analyse the accident, what all events added up for that accident to happen. I am in no way defending the City driver. I don't know which line of mine makes you think that I am defending her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Wow, now you may also blame the the camera installed as it might have distracted the City driver, street lights as they could have caused the glare, any other person/vehicle visible to the driver as they were moving and causing confusion.
Such sarcasm is uncalled for. I never blamed the Santro driver. He was just waiting to cross the intersection, but could so easily have been the dead the person instead of the van driver.


Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Agree on the van hitting his brakes part. But if there were skid marks on the road, that would be because the city had no ABS. Skid marks will only be there if wheels lock up. ABS will not let that happen.
ABS kicks in only when it detects a skid. When there is a skid, the ABS realeses the brakes intermittently to give you steerability. Normally when ABS kicks in after you lock up you wheels, it leaves staggered skid marks. If there was no ABS and the driver did hit the brakes hard , you would have seen long skid marks leading upto the crash point.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 5th September 2013 at 07:04.
Santoshbhat is online now  
Old 5th September 2013, 11:49   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
She was arrested a day later and released on bail. Does this not imply she just walked away from then scene of the accident?
Thats your assumption, my friend.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 12:01   #70
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Thats your assumption, my friend.
Not sure what you want to derive out of this entire conversation and want to prove the lady did not flee the scene! If the lady really did not flee OR walk away from the scene did she even make an attempt to go back to the scene of the accident? No one knows. So to your point that she did not flee is also your assumption/perspective.

We all make assumptions in life and certain decisions are based on our instincts and assumptions. I rest my case here
sumathindra is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 12:45   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
parrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Thane - Mumbai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 5,667 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Who knows at what speed the Honda City was approaching the intersection? Anybody replying on the thread has details about this? (Have I missed something?)

Has anybody tried to hold a camera in a steady position on a highway and look at how the cars driving around at 70-80 kph look like? Even they seem to shoot like a bullet.

I agree that you need to slow down at an intersection; but since the lady (car) doesn't seem to slow down in the video, can we assume that she was doing 150+ or the likes?

Simple explanation to those who are accusing the woman of being reckless: Swing your right hand in full force and then suddenly pop your left hand in between. You would have a fair idea of what might have happened.

Was the Omni driver following the rules? From what I can see in the video:
  1. I cannot see the turn indicators switched on.
  2. There is also a possibility that he did not even stop at the junction.
  3. Was he not supposed to look out for cars approaching the junction?

So if the Omni guy has the liberty of not stopping at an intersection, so does the Honda City. Just because the Omni occupants suffered, doesn't make this the City drivers fault entirely. Why is the Omni driver not charged for an offence?

It is a typical mentality we have here: Biker hits a pedestrian, it is the bikers fault. Car hits a biker, it is the cars fault. Whoever is the suffering person is accounted as right. I do not agree to this.

If the woman was not under the influence of alcohol, it is just another accident.

When it's time, it's TIME!

Whoever lost their life, may their soul RIP.
I really appreciate the people who came running at the spot to help the injured.

Last edited by parrys : 5th September 2013 at 12:51.
parrys is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 13:06   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
..........
So if the Omni guy has the liberty of not stopping at an intersection, so does the Honda City. Just because the Omni occupants suffered, doesn't make this the City drivers fault entirely. Why is the Omni driver not charged for an offence?

It is a typical mentality we have here: Biker hits a pedestrian, it is the bikers fault. Car hits a biker, it is the cars fault. Whoever is the suffering person is accounted as right. I do not agree to this.

If the woman was not under the influence of alcohol, it is just another accident..........
I don't believe you'll find many (if at all) posters on this thread defending either party as being completely innocent in what happened.

Both drivers could've avoided the accident if they'd used some common sense. Neither did, unfortunately.

I don't have details of the charges framed in this case so far (if already done), but I do agree with you that the Omni driver should be charged with endangering his co-passenger's life, same as the woman driving the City will probably get charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th September 2013 at 13:09.
Chetan_Rao is online now  
Old 5th September 2013, 13:24   #73
BHPian
 
anky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 393
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

The omni guy should have looked before turning. And the lady should have slowed at the intersection . I still feel its more the omni guys fault and plus none of them seemed to be wearing seat belts . No offence to anyone .
anky is online now  
Old 5th September 2013, 13:30   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai,Bangalo
Posts: 404
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Well I was scared out of my wits on seeing the footage. Lucky that the crash does not extend much beyond these 2 colliding vehicles,since the city steers leftward.
May the souls RIP.
Btw- the city driver was let off on bail same day seems to be a very law knowing person.
In our country we need to have people who follow rules of Life and limb seriously rather than as an academic requirement.
Dieseldunk is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 14:11   #75
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,626
Thanked: 9,100 Times
Default Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How is this hit and run. Did the honda city drive off?
Hit and run would have been if the vehicle which hit the van would have simply driven off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
After seeing the condition of the city, do you think that she was in a position to run?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Please tell me where was it mentioned that the lady ran away post accident. How did you arrive at this conclusion? I may have missed reading that.
Guys- the news report in Vid's post clearly says that she went "faraar" (absconding) and was arrested by the police the next day. It's really shocking how she even managed it- probably hopped out of the car and fled before a crowd gathered. Palm Beach Road is quite deserted at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
1. When a woman is speeding above 90/100(in city roads) while sitting with her husband & sister, don't you think something is seriously wrong with her? As for the bail, she has been slapped with 304A. Why not 304 itself, when the evidence is so incriminating? With the kind of influence she has exhibited till now, you think she is going to take it seriously. FYI, the accident took place on 6 Aug, 2013. ever wondered why the police released the video so late?
With due respect, there is a big difference between homicide and manslaughter, both legally and from a logical point of view. It was an accident, pure and simple. Even the police have not stated unequivocally that the Honda City driver is to blame. To repeat an oft-abused cliche, let the law take its course.
Just one more point: the speeds you mention are hardly uncommon or unexpected on that stretch of road. Of course the City driver needed to have slowed down at the intersection but most cars drive at that same speed on that road.

I think this thread is a sober reminder to all of us to be cautious while driving. There is no saying when something like this could befall you. Though it may be true that the Omni guy should have double checked before taking a right on this road, it is hardly his (or his passengers) fault that a speeding car rammed into him causing mayhem. As a driver I need to be reasonably confident in my ability to stop in any exigency. I don't think the City driver was.
noopster is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hotel Valet crashes Lamborghini Spyder in Delhi - CCTV footage inside PPS Super-Cars & Imports in India 107 16th July 2014 23:28
Woman on Scooty cheats death! Accident caught on CCTV Warwithwheels Street Experiences 74 22nd April 2013 19:50
Video footage: Opel Corsa vs Ferrari Modena quartermile. Guess who won? sAP Modifications & Accessories 26 24th June 2011 15:37
Yellow Lamborghini Gallardo SE in Pune!! Update - Now with in-car video footage!! Maverick5490 Super-Cars & Imports in India 36 28th October 2007 22:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks