Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th September 2013, 20:04   #46
BHPian

Buddy the pics show that there is nothing left in the tyre for your 80-90 kmph dash. I recently switched to new tyres even when I had some more tread left in my upsized Yokohama s drives. It's always better to change tyres a little earlier than wait to extract the last mile out of it , especially if you are somewhere near a spirited driver. I changed to Yokohama cdrives when there was some juice left in my existing ones since I do about 1600 km highway trip every 2-3 months. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, but we surely do not need to add spice to it. Michelins and yokos are good tyres and c drives are supposed to give superior wet handling as per the booklet which i saw. It is positioned as a tyre which gives comfort and sportiness in equal amount. By the way one of my colleagues who recently got a swift vxi says that MASS told him that ABS can be retrofitted. Upon my persistent nagging he said he will go in for that in his next free service.
shinuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 21:43   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Freaked out by 90 degree skid this morning!

Also remember, new tyres need to be run-in. Minimum 200 km of easy driving, preferably 500km. You can drive on highways (safely, of course) after that.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 07:43   #48
BHPian

Hi all, so the replacement is done. Took the car to my trusted dealer yesterday. He confirmed that my 5k dn acelere's were perfect and would eaily last me 40k kms more. I did a survey of the market with a broad budget (In order to get a handle on what dealers recommend for quality and not affordability). Almost a unanimous choice was the Yoko AVS DB V550. I was pretty surprised to find literally zero receommendations on the Primacy LC and to my surprise everyone unanimously recommended to not go for CPC2 as the cuts and bends incidents have just thrown that car out of the market. So this is the one I have got (195/65/15) . http://www.yokohama-india.com/avs_db.html . Cost me 5750 a piece with free balancing etc. Pls comment on whether I got a good deal or not and any views on the choice of tyres. Thanks!
vikram31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 08:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

IMO, it is always a good practice to replace all four tyres in one go. Pennys saved by postponing part of the purchase might end up keeping larger worths at stake. Like the car and the people in and around it.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 10:12   #50
BHPian

Be glad this did not happen to you!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Jokes apart, it has got to be scary. I used to replace 2 wheels at a time but think will stop doing that.
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 13:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Hi all, so the replacement is done. Took the car to my trusted dealer yesterday. He confirmed that my 5k dn acelere's were perfect and would eaily last me 40k kms more. I did a survey of the market with a broad budget (In order to get a handle on what dealers recommend for quality and not affordability). Almost a unanimous choice was the Yoko AVS DB V550. I was pretty surprised to find literally zero receommendations on the Primacy LC and to my surprise everyone unanimously recommended to not go for CPC2 as the cuts and bends incidents have just thrown that car out of the market. So this is the one I have got (195/65/15) . http://www.yokohama-india.com/avs_db.html . Cost me 5750 a piece with free balancing etc. Pls comment on whether I got a good deal or not and any views on the choice of tyres. Thanks!
Keep the good Accelere as your spare and change all four running tyres to the Yokos that you've finalized. This way the grip from all four tyres will be the same. One of the reasons for your car's rear to slip out like that is due to difference in grip levels of your tyres.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 15:50   #52
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, so the replacement is done. Took the car to my trusted dealer yesterday. He confirmed that my 5k dn acelere's were perfect and would eaily last me 40k kms more. !
Thank your stars that you werent hurt. One thing that you ought to bear in mind is that even if your tyres are in top notch your car may not brake in a straight line at high speeds if you lock up. There are far too many variables as some of the earlier posts have indicated.
The impression I have from your opening post is that its not just the skid itself but the fat that your car turned 90 deg that had you in shock.

Electronic aids are the best bet but I do not think you have retro fit option. Im pretty sure stability control / ABS will be on your list when you shop for your next car. Happy motoring.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 09:10   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Thank your stars that you werent hurt.

Electronic aids are the best bet but I do not think you have retro fit option. Im pretty sure stability control / ABS will be on your list when you shop for your next car. Happy motoring.
Hi, Yes, totally agree. ABS/EBD as a minimum (Preferably airbags) will surely be on my next car. Until then safer driving and high end tires is the best option.
Old 16th September 2013, 10:04   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I really hope you have changed all 4. Keeping any tyres for 50k was completely silly on your part, especially considering your commute. The highway from Navi Mumbai to Parel is full of nutcases. And if you have changed only 2 tyres you are going to face a similar situation where the Yokos will wear out faster than the Apollos. I would suggest you change the front ones too so you actually see and feel the benefit of better grip, and a better and more silent ride.

The price of the tyres is fine.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 10:11   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I really hope you have changed all 4.I would suggest you change the front ones too so you actually see and feel the benefit of better grip, and a better and more silent ride.

The price of the tyres is fine.
Thanks Akshay, given how much everyone is insisting I think I am going to change all 4. This weekend.
Old 16th September 2013, 10:13   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Akshay, given how much everyone is insisting I think I am going to change all 4. This weekend.
That's great. Also with the Yokos do take it easy on rough patches, they can't take as much abuse as the Apollos. I haven't been to Navi Mumbai in a few weeks, but that one patch after the toll was horrible.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 17:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I really hope you have changed all 4.
Quote:
I really don't think you need to change all 4 to Yokos. I think 2 of your tyres are just 5K run. Consider for example, even if you change all 4, at the time of first rotation at 10K, the front ones would have worn more compared to rear. So the logic of all getting worn equally is not true. This kind of mismatch will always remain between front and rear ones. My suggestion would be to have only 2 new ones and use them at the rear, to start with.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote