Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th September 2013, 10:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Cheating IOC petrol pump at Koramangala, Bangalore

Is there any air release lock on the Amaze that was pressed? I was advised in this post about additional capacity on the Vento!

Or can this be true?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 10:51   #17
BHPian

These things happen at every bunk. Every trick in the book is most likely known to every bunk owner. Makes you wonder if fuelling at shell paying the extra premium actually does makes sense.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 10:51   #18

Angry re: Cheating IOC petrol pump at Koramangala, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Thought will share this experience with all of us. The amaze had close to 7-8 liters of diesel when I went to this IOC petrol pump in Koramangala , Bangalore.

Attachment 1140683

Attachment 1140682

Hello Speedsatya,
I have faced a similar issue once with the IOC pump. Is this petrol pump right opposite the passport office in koramangala? I hope you don't mind if I share my experience as well in your thread.
Anyways, two weeks ago, I requested the attendant at the IOC pump to fill the petrol tank for Rs.1000/- He started at zero and stopped at Rs. 200/- and shut the tap. When I confronted him, he apologized and started to fill again, but this time from Rs.200/- set point to Rs. 800/- set point (only Rs. 800/- in total hence around 2.5 l deficit). To ensure I do not notice, he started distracting by having pointless talks of mileage with me. I patiently waited for him to complete, took out my mobile and showed him the quantity required for Rs.1000/-. He was dumbstruck and had no words to express and before he could reset the meter to zero, I clicked a picture of him and the meter.
Although I was given the difference in quantity of fuel, I felt the need to raise this issue with the bunk manager. But he was crass and blamed me conveniently saying I should look at the meter.
Such is the service provided by the IOC bunk attendants. MIght as well travel an extra four kilometers (4km) to JP Nagar/ Jayanagar and fill fuel at a Shell Bunk.
Vkrm_Rghvn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 10:55   #19
BHPian

Some tricks I've seen adopted at an HP Pump on JP Nagar ring road, mostly around short filling for 2 wheelers. Got conned once so now I watch out.

Here is how they do it
Typically you tell him fill for Rs 200/-

The fuel attendant and the guy who acts as a cashier position themselves such that You have the pump + attendant , then you and your bike and the cashier stands on the opp side.

Here at the starting the attendant will tell you, Sir check Zero , Check Zero !!
(To show that you are acknowledging he is starting from Zero)

Now he starts the filling, when he reaches about 120/- , the Cashier guy standing on the other side diverts your attention and asks "Sir Cash or Card".

The moment you turn around and look at the cashier, this attendant stops the filling , Re-sets to Zero takes out the nozzel and asks the next 2 wheeler to come forward.

You look back and he is already talking to the next customer asking him to check for Zero.

Some other questions they ask to divert your gaze from the meter.

Sir see there is lot of dust around the tank opening, it will fall into the tank and pollute the petrol, you should clean it.

You look at your tank and Zip, fuelling stopped , reset to Zero , over to the next customer.

Last edited by Fillmore : 20th September 2013 at 10:57.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 11:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Please report this to IOC immediately.
IOC takes the customer complaint very seriously.
There is a feedback section in their website.

I was once cheated in a IOC pump on the Bangalore Mysore Highway. I logged in a compliant and the very next day I got a call from the IOC representative to hear my problem. Within a week, the pump owner called me to apologise and asked me to visit his pump the next time to collect compensation for my troubles and inform IOC about withdrawing my complaint.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 11:31   #21
BHPian

I had the same experience (Trusted Petrol Pumps in Bangalore)at this pump, they managed 46 litres in the Punto, which has a capacity of 45 and this, without the low fuel warning lamp coming on, meaning atleast 5-7 ltrs left in the tank.

The only thing they do if you complain is that they will call you for the measurement test, what good is that when they have already cheated you. This pump mostly caters to the sort of crowd that considers it infra dig to step out of their cars while fuelling, so the attendants are used to committing fraud as SOP.

For those saying extra fuel will go into the pipe, it will need to be atleast 3m long to hold 5 ltrs, when a car is only 4-4.5m long I doubt it will have such a long fuel pipe.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 13:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cheating IOC petrol pump at Koramangala, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Is there any air release lock on the Amaze that was pressed? I was advised in this post about additional capacity on the Vento!

Or can this be true?

No . I didnt do this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkrm_Rghvn View Post
Hello Speedsatya,
I have faced a similar issue once with the IOC pump. Is this petrol pump right opposite the passport office in koramangala? I hope you don't mind if I share my experience as well in your thread.
Nopes . This is the one just before Pizza Hut , diagonally opposite to Bata .

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Please report this to IOC immediately.
IOC takes the customer complaint very seriously.
There is a feedback section in their website.

I was once cheated in a IOC pump on the Bangalore Mysore Highway. I logged in a compliant and the very next day I got a call from the IOC representative to hear my problem. Within a week, the pump owner called me to apologise and asked me to visit his pump the next time to collect compensation for my troubles and inform IOC about withdrawing my complaint.
Lemme do this .

Funny thing is that the attendent admitted there was a mistake and was almost at my feet begging me not to complain .
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 16:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lemme do this .

Funny thing is that the attendent admitted there was a mistake and was almost at my feet begging me not to complain .
Yup, they do admit the mistake once they are caught red handed, even I created a big scene at the petrol pump and the attendant got a mouthful from other customers as well.

The reason I went ahead and complained is to ensure that the attendant learns a lesson and the pump owner monitors against such incidences in the future.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 17:55   #24
BHPian

Had a similar experience at an IOC pump here in Lucknow, UP.
The pump is near LIC on the road that connects Gomti Nagar to Cantonment.
So this is what happened- I stop my car, get out of it, tell the attendant- "1000 ka diesel", he nods his head very slightly, mean while he sets zero and starts filling, I again tell him "1000 ka", he tries not to notice. He stops the meter at Rs.200 and starts shutting, I again tell him-"bhai 1000 ka", now he hears me and says-"oh sorry", and tells me that he will fill diesel worth Rs.800 more, he goes to the meter, presses some buttons and asks me- "sheher me kitna deti hai", I tell him "18-19" (Beat ), while my eyes still trying to stare at the meter, his cashier meanwhile comes and picks up a bottle from above the meter such that his arm hides the meter. When he moves away, the meter is running at around 300-400. I wait for him to end. Then he starts slowing just before 800. I politely tell him that I know this trick so stop fooling around with me and fill it till 1000, to which he quickly says nervously-"abi pura to ho jane dijiye", and fills it till 1000 . Hahaha.
The same attendant had already tried to trick me many times earlier, so I am used to this game. I just love the look on their face when they cannot pull this off me. :-P
ahmad.007 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 18:10   #25
BHPian

What is with the Bunk guys and 200 rupees!

Seems that the IOCL guys opposite to Passport Ofc in Koramangla are in love with then number 200!

Took my wife's Spark from Satya's place when the low fuel light came on. Drove it to the bunk and asked them to tank up. I always tank up and never fill for a specific amount.

Again the guy fills 200 and stops. I politely took 200 bucks out of my wallet, handed it over to him and drove off

The look on that guy's face was priceless.

After hearing all your stories, I have somewhat wisened up. There are lots of petrol bunks in the city and 200 INR can take me far enough.

For my Punto, I am yet to get scammed like that since I always fill from a particular station and I kind of know the folks out there now. She never drank more than 36-38 liters of diesel (i fill when the marker is near the end which leaves approx 7 liters of reserve).
aqualeo2040 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 18:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
What is with the Bunk guys and 200 rupees!

Again the guy fills 200 and stops. I politely took 200 bucks out of my wallet, handed it over to him and drove off
Nice one, I got to try this!!!
ahmad.007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 01:27   #27
BHPian

As cheating on fuel is a common practice in India, it can be great if cars come with the fuel gauge display showing the excact fuel quantity in liters. This way we can ensure that wer not being cheated.
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 15:41   #28
BHPian

Satya thanks for sharing, will warn my friend staying in that area. You must lodge a complaint on IOC website more so since it was not a mistake and a deliberate act, who knows how many people would have been cheated of their hard earned money. Lot of learning here, shall take extra caution next time on long drives. Locally I tank up my bike at shell and fill it to 15 ltrs and cars have always been full tank.
majumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 19:49   #29
BHPian

Oh Man! This actually takes the piece.
Since the duping factor is only 5% it will be ver hard to detect, unless we drive to an near empty tank. One more reason to go to Shell.

Quote:
In this case , I think they have some switch / arrangement where the readings can be manipulated. They kept on telling me to get a 5 liter can and test the amount of fuel dispensed.
Yes, I guess that is the case, if they were insisting that a 5lt fill for verification, then as you suspected the tampered filling kicks in after the first 5lts.
I say this because, some time back when having a chat with a talkative auto driver, came to know that the tampered meter kicks in AFTER the 2KM run is done (again he could have been spinning yarns, not sure, but is feasible).
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 20:33   #30
BHPian

I've never really experienced any of this deceit at the fuel stations in Hyderabad. You should avoid getting them to fill past whatever they've put into the tank in the first attempt and just pay them for whatever was dispensed. These attendants think that when they stop filling, the fuel that remains in the hose is returned so they think that they will at least get that benefit if you make them stop.

If one isn't attentive, they do manage to make some quick bucks by fooling the vehicle owners. As soon as the flow of the fuel stops, the pump makes a distinctive noise and that's when you should look at the meter right away. Is there any way to get the pumps to display the last filled amount or is there no way to get that information after the pump has been reset? In some parts of the world, there are some pumps that also display the last filled amount.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote