Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st October 2013, 15:26   #1
BHPian

Default Are Chennai Toll Booths a rip-off?

Starting this new topic as I have been bothered by this thought for quite some time....

I feel the Toll Booths in Chennai, especially OMR, are a big rip off. They charge money day in and day out without providing the services they are supposed to provide:

The only part they have taken care of (on OMR) is the main carriageway. I am sure the service road is their responsibility as well(if not then the government is at fault for not including this as part of the mandate). In all its 10+ years of existence, I have seen zero repairs to the service roads. Only garbage piled up and everyone to their own, what with vehicles coming in both directions on both sides of the road.

The only thing these guys do is to sit in their booths and collect toll. Even if cows and buffaloes wander on the toll road, no worries, they just collect their toll.

The tollbooth on Chennai bypass and at Chingleput are even worse. They roads right under their nose - AT THE toll booth - are highly broken and highly unmotorable - every time I go past in my City, my underbody scrapes like crazy. Why should I pay toll at all when all it does is damage my car ??

Bottomline - how fair is it for a service provider to provide a modicum of services and then charge toll for decades on top of it? Isn't it time we stopped charging toll at say OMR, coz the cost of the project would have been recouped ten times over? Shouldn't these be time bound?

Latest scam is the Chennai airport services toll proposed, where the Airports Authority of India has built the airport with some vendor, but then wants to give away toll collection to some private party through bids. Now, what has this private party done for the airport? Zilch. And what will it do? Sit and collect toll.

How different is this from sand mafia where private parties 'buy' sand license for X amount and then mine sand for 100 times that value? Or from the corporation car parking licensees who do the same?

I am sure all of us have similar experiences. Would like this to become a movement, so that we can get some affirmative action from the government.

Mods - in case you disagree please remove. Thanks
HighwayBuddha is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 15:49   #2
BHPian

Default re: Are Chennai Toll Booths a rip-off?

Very True. However my thought on this OMR toll is literally termed as DAWN LOOT .

I remember the government have widened the chennai city limit but I dont how far in south chennai. If this is the case, then this toll needs to thrown out.

Regards,
Rajesh
camon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 16:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Between OMR and bypass, I think the Bypass is the bigger ripoff. The condition is sad, and they added another tollbooth!

OMR is okayish. I don't feel the pinch as I usually carpool, and my friends pay the toll!
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 16:44   #4
BHPian

Perhaps some legal gurus can clarify! When the toll contractor enters into an agreement with the govt, it normally contains a maintenance clause also. Are citizens entitled to take legal action against the contractor for violation of terms, or is it the prerogative of the concerned govt dept to take penal action?! Of course, I don't think Indian constitution permits us to file a PIL against corporation/municipality for bad condition of roads!
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 18:17   #5
BHPian

Seriously the by pass road toll is the worst, pretty bad conditions for a toll road, extremely long waiting time during rush hours (not to mention the impatient motorists who form 8 lanes in place of 4), and on top of this the toll rates only seems to go up .
93000BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:05   #6
BHPian

+1 for your thought !! I also think that the toll has to be removed. When there is not enough infrastructure from the government for the motorists inside the city limit (at least they call so) why would they collect the toll first of all. On top of this there is no maintenance is taken care. Instead in the Radial road they had put lot of barricades, Though it is good to avoid accidents, it hurts after you pay a toll.

All petrol heads would shout at me for the next idea : Stop selling new vehicles until you widen the roads

OT : I recently made a trip in south tamilnadu, for bypassing Madurai you have to pay 55 Rs as toll and the worst part is its just 1.5 lane road (not even 2 lane)

Last edited by trtraj : 22nd October 2013 at 09:07. Reason: added a line
trtraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:24   #7
BHPian

just out of curiosity i dug into the RTI docs of Tamilnadu govt and found this shocker

ref: http://www.tn.gov.in/rti/proactive/h...k-highways.pdf

So, where does these money goes ? and we keep paying tolls

Are Chennai Toll Booths a rip-off?-tnspending.jpg
trtraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

As long as the users in this entire stretch continue to pay and not protest, no one gives a hoot.

Stop using or paying toll and create a big traffic snarl everyday for few weeks/months and thats the only way to get justice.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:45   #9
BHPian

And to mention the huge traffic pileup created every time it rains, due to water stagnation near the toll gate near Chennai One building and Life line hospital. They do not take measures to even rectify it after the rains are over. They are more concerned about increasing the toll rates rather than improving the toll roads quality.

Last edited by bullet-tooth : 22nd October 2013 at 11:47. Reason: Typo
bullet-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:58   #10
BHPian

You know the actual bad part here, I can take the OP message do replacement for Chennai to Delhi-Gurgaon and make other city name changes and the very same story will apply to us as well.

Refer to this thread here (A frustrating experience of helping a road accident victim) and you will see that highways in India are a very very exorbitant place to be in all terms.
Mohitkumaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 07:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Are Chennai Toll Booths a rip-off?

Why not use RTI to first ask for contract details or details of what they are supposed to provide. Then file a consumer complaint for deficiency in service as toll fee is for a service.

Perhaps a joint action on behalf of all toll road users by these forums is needed
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote