Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd November 2013, 13:27   #16
BHPian

They could have begun by issuing driving license after strict and stringent training and tests and not to all and sundry.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 14:20   #17
BHPian

Default re: Mumbai: 20 negative points & your licence is gone for good

"If wishes were horses .."
Just seems like an ambitious story from some one.

If they were anywhere near being serious about this they would have started with some actions long back at least while issuing new licenses.

The cops are to busy collecting bucks from many many illegal tempos, dumper trucks, illegal parking of many many sorts of vehicles at road sides etc.

Why would they want to get themselves entangled in all the mentioned hard work and mess when they are satisfied doing far little.
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 14:31   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
To my knowledge, in Middle East and other many regions, you have to mention a designated driver when registering the vehicle - the driver could be some body other than the owner also. The point system will penalise this designated driver and not the owner, if he is not the driver.

The same system could be implemented here.

Yet, first we need to have a pan-India unified, fool proof driving licence system linked to Aadhar or other such ID. Otherwise people can just keep on taking new licences from other states or even within the same state from a different RTO.
I m working and living in Dubai for the last 10 years and here the Good Point and Black Point system has been implemented here.

24 black points in 12 months means license is suspended and one has to go through the learning classes and tests to get the license back.

The 12 month period starts from the day one gets the first black point and once the 12 month period is over without reaching the 24 points, then all the points are erased and one gets a fresh start.

Registration of a vehicle is done for a period of 12 months and one has to pay all the fines on the owner's license or on the vehicle's plate number, get the vehicle through technical fitness passing before the registration again for another year, and its repeated every year.

I'm in favor of the yearly renewal of the vehicle's registration in India along with a technical fitness test.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 15:36   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
I m working and living in Dubai for the last 10 years and here the Good Point and Black Point system has been implemented here.

I'm in favor of the yearly renewal of the vehicle's registration in India along with a technical fitness test.
Having lived in Dubai, i know what you mean about the yearly renewal system.
However, i would rather not have such a system here in India. It's just another opportunity to demand bribes, and more running behind the RTO officials. In our current setup, the lesser the interactions with such personnel, greater the peace of mind.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 16:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai: 20 negative points & your licence is gone for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Having lived in Dubai, i know what you mean about the yearly renewal system.
However, i would rather not have such a system here in India. It's just another opportunity to demand bribes, and more running behind the RTO officials. In our current setup, the lesser the interactions with such personnel, greater the peace of mind.
But won't this system be computer oriented and no dealing with the traffic police on the roads? I mean the challan will be sent to the address / email and post which the point collection will begin. If the limit crosses the Police will contact you and go ahead with the further process and since this will have evidence and proof of negative point collection bribes won't be possible until the Head of Police accepts bribes since it'll be visible to all.

I say, DON'T make a traffic violation DON'T meet the police fellows. If we commit an offence and collect the negative points then we will have to run behind the RTO, etc.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 16:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
But won't this system be computer oriented and no dealing with the traffic police on the roads? I mean the challan will be sent to the address / email and post which the point collection will begin. If the limit crosses the Police will contact you and go ahead with the further process and since this will have evidence and proof of negative point collection bribes won't be possible until the Head of Police accepts bribes since it'll be visible to all.

I say, DON'T make a traffic violation DON'T meet the police fellows. If we commit an offence and collect the negative points then we will have to run behind the RTO, etc.

Anurag.
Looks like you misunderstood what i was saying. I was referring to the annual vehicle fitness renewal part which Parm had mentioned, not to the fines part. Once a year, you need to take the car to the RTO to get the fitness/registration renewed. This is where the car is given a once over for compliance and then issued a renewal.

Such a scenario in India would be a golden opportunity for unofficial revenue generation by the cops.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 17:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Looks like you misunderstood what i was saying. I was referring to the annual vehicle fitness renewal part which Parm had mentioned, not to the fines part. Once a year, you need to take the car to the RTO to get the fitness/registration renewed. This is where the car is given a once over for compliance and then issued a renewal.

Such a scenario in India would be a golden opportunity for unofficial revenue generation by the cops.
Oops, My Bad!

But yes if the system is strengthened and the bribes things is stopped (I know it is impossible) then this fitness issue will help us get rid of those old polluting RTC buses and lorries that chug around the right-most lane giving out black smoke. The old auto's also would need to be scrapped for a new one.

Present condition is that the bribes are letting old vehicles ply on the road which is not correct but no one to ask and to oppose this action.

Anurag.
Old 2nd November 2013, 17:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is the most rubbish thing I have ever heard. Cops in Mumbai blatantly stop you for offenses such as cutting lanes, dangerous driving etc, when asked to prove it , they literally can't. These kind of stupid laws will lead them to ask for bribes which the owner will pay out of compulsion out of the fear of not getting points. First implement the existing laws properly and make the current system corruption free before coming up new laws to implement
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:46   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
This is the most rubbish thing I have ever heard. Cops in Mumbai blatantly stop you for offenses such as cutting lanes, dangerous driving etc, when asked to prove it , they literally can't. These kind of stupid laws will lead them to ask for bribes which the owner will pay out of compulsion out of the fear of not getting points. First implement the existing laws properly and make the current system corruption free before coming up new laws to implement
May be we first need CCTV cameras that can record violations to be submitted as proof rather than verbal stuff.

The Government must first provide with adequate infrastructure (parking spots, working timers at traffic signals) and educate the public on what lane driving with the marking mean rather than just painting the roads.

Anurag.
Old 3rd November 2013, 21:32   #25
BHPian

Let's follow the rules irrespective of whether fellow citizens do it or not. Blaming cops for bribe or atrocious attitude is just another reason to escape from our own faults. Why cross the yellow Lane, and then ask cops to prove it. Why drink and drive, and find fault with alcoholmeter.
Let's all first become Saints, before expecting cops to be Saints.
In my 13 years of driving in bangalore, I have never ever been harassed by cops unnecessarily. I was stopped several times, but no harassment. If we follow the rules even in the middle of the night and respect cops when stopped, no cop would harras anyone.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 22:00   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Let's follow the rules irrespective of whether fellow citizens do it or not. Blaming cops for bribe or atrocious attitude is just another reason to escape from our own faults. Why cross the yellow Lane, and then ask cops to prove it. Why drink and drive, and find fault with alcoholmeter.
Let's all first become Saints, before expecting cops to be Saints.
In my 13 years of driving in bangalore, I have never ever been harassed by cops unnecessarily. I was stopped several times, but no harassment. If we follow the rules even in the middle of the night and respect cops when stopped, no cop would harras anyone.
Very nicely put Harish!

If we follow the rules and don't violate in any manner then why will the cops harass us?

I have been stopped a million times when on bike and in car for documents checking and the Alcoholmeter check but never paid a single fine as I never drink and possess all the needed documents. The police are also happy to see people follow rules so they say 'Thank you!'.

Anurag.
Old 4th November 2013, 19:11   #27
BHPian

Bombay rather successfully curbed drinking and driving. While the cops are no less corrupt, if their bikes and/or cars are equipped with cameras which capture the said offense then it would be easy to implement.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 19:56   #28
BHPian

This is a proposal from Police side. Some of this may not stand the test of law in courts.

Besides the logistics nightmare. They say initially about 20 policemen will monitor a model junction. How can they expand to cover the entire city, not to think of the entire state.

If a cleanup starts from RTO side, a lot more discipline can be achieved. Right from regulation & ratings of driving schools, redesigning transparent driving tests, having a civility score along with testing driving skills can make a good beginning.
viggienomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 20:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

This sounds like a good move, I also hope the Police are equipped to have the AV proof to prove that a driver violated a rule or not. Otherwise, this will only help them make more bucks and threaten the usual innocent drivers.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 21:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative, IIRC, something similar already exists in Delhi. Anyway, how do they plan to 'give points' on violations for people with out of state licenses? Also, unless the whole system is centralized, there is no point in cancelling a license. The person can get a license made from some other RTO.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote