Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th November 2013, 22:28   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai: 20 negative points & your licence is gone for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
Besides the logistics nightmare. They say initially about 20 policemen will monitor a model junction. How can they expand to cover the entire city, not to think of the entire state.
I feel the planning is somewhat correct. They can't go live for whole of Mumbai so what they will try is to be on one or two busy junctions and monitor it for a month or so and then depending on the results obtained they will expand and as funds flow in automatic CCTV camers will be installed to capture the license plate and email / post the same to the offender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
If a cleanup starts from RTO side, a lot more discipline can be achieved. Right from regulation & ratings of driving schools, redesigning transparent driving tests, having a civility score along with testing driving skills can make a good beginning.
The driving school guys must be strict and teach proper laws and get it strict during issuing license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
This sounds like a good move, I also hope the Police are equipped to have the AV proof to prove that a driver violated a rule or not. Otherwise, this will only help them make more bucks and threaten the usual innocent drivers.
For the present condition the 20-25 policeman will be having hand-held cameras to shoot pictures and at a later stage automatic CCTV cameras will be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Good initiative, IIRC, something similar already exists in Delhi. Anyway, how do they plan to 'give points' on violations for people with out of state licenses? Also, unless the whole system is centralized, there is no point in cancelling a license. The person can get a license made from some other RTO.
The points will be accumulated on the license and that can be tracked by the RTO easily be it any state so I don't think that should be a problem for them.

If the license is cancelled there will be records with necessary proofs (images of violations) against the offender and the RTO will not issue a new license as it will reflect out.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 09:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The points will be accumulated on the license and that can be tracked by the RTO easily be it any state so I don't think that should be a problem for them.

If the license is cancelled there will be records with necessary proofs (images of violations) against the offender and the RTO will not issue a new license as it will reflect out.
You know there are parts in our country that still issue a 'paper' license. They are not centralized yet, so no way a Mumbai cop can put 'points' on that license. Unless this system is centralized across the nation, the cancelling of license won't be a deterrent enough to make people stop violating traffic rules - especially the auto/cabs/buses/trucks. Might work on private vehicle owners.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 14:23   #33
BHPian

Good move, bring it to Bangalore fast....
But before that, basic infrastructure must be in place - without that (stop lines, no parking signals, one way signals, parking allowed areas) it will be difficult to define a violation. I agree that it will lead to increase in bribes, but at least for the fear of bribes - people might think before violating a rule.
RakishRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 15:15   #34
BHPian

This system / rule sounds very Utopian but I do not see it being implemented in Mumbai / India to any measurable amount.

This is a typical knee-jerk reaction to showcase that "something" is being done to address traffic problems.

As others have said here, it will just encourage motorists to bribe their way out of a violation rather than accumulate negative points on their DLs.

Also, IMHO increasing the number of rules or making them more stringent does little in changing the scenario on the ground level or making motoring safer or getting people to drive more responsibly.

We have enough rules, the need is to enforce them effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I have been waiting for such an automated system ever since I first heard about it deployed in foreign countries.
Foreign countries that you refer to have the infrastructure and driver training to back implementation of such measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Although this is a good move by the RTO - this can only be possible in an ideal world.....
Coming to offences which are erroneously committed - due to no fault of the motorist.
In Mumbai / India most of the time lane markings, zebra crossings are absent, traffic lights will often stop functioning or at times function erratically. In such a case can the authorities guarantee that the people will not be fined because of a faulty system?

Also, Traffic policemen, subject to prevailing traffic conditions will allow cars facing a red light to continue plying to ease traffic or to let VIPs and ambulances through! In such a case, if I "jump" a red light!! Should I pay be paying a fine?

Stretches of the Palm Beach Road have a posted speed limit to 30km/hr!! If the signal is open and I am driving at a decent speed of 80km/hr, why should I slow down to 30km/hr and does slowing down to 30km/hr ensure I don't meet with an accident?

As I said before, we have enough rules, (a lot of them ill-thought and woefully inappropriate) the need is to enforce them effectively.
PGNarain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 15:36   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

The "four-point and your license is cancelled for an year" rule in California puts the "fear of God" into most motorists and makes them sensible law abiding respectful citizens.

I would wholeheartedly support it - better to put a good system in place than the current anarchy IMO.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 17:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Treating symptoms, not the cause.

A lot of drivers on our roads may be flouting rules intentionally, but there's a larger group that doesn't even know what those rules are. Most people in India think they've become drivers as soon as they learn to handle the ABC pedals, steering wheel and gear-stick. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but it's definitely a problem.

We need a system where drivers are taught the rules before they hit the roads, not a system to keep them in line with threats after we've given them a license without testing their road-worthiness. These people can never follow rules properly, because a lot of them simply don't know what the rules are. No points system is going to change that fact.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th November 2013 at 17:28.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 17:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

This will only give the cops another excuse to jack up their bribe money. All they have to say is "I don't accept 100 bucks anymore. Pay 200 or else I will put 4 penalty points on your licence!" Of course, they will only target private car owner's while the tempo's, truck's, government (BEST , ST) buses, autorikshaws & taxi's will drive away breaking all traffic rules without any care in the world.

What if I have collected enough penalty points and my licence is cancelled. How will the cops know that I am driving on a cancelled licence unless they stop me for another traffic violation? And if this happens then what is the penalty or punishment for driving on a cancelled licence?
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 17:58   #38
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Mumbai: 20 negative points & your licence is gone for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
A lot of drivers on our roads may be flouting rules intentionally, but there's a larger group that doesn't even know what those rules are. Most people in India think they've become drivers as soon as they learn to handle the ABC pedals, steering wheel and gear-stick.
True that. Lot of my friends on being asked by me whether they joined driving school said that they don't need to join driving school because they know how to control the ABC, steering wheel and gear stick.

Quote:
We need a system where drivers are taught the rules before they hit the roads, not a system to keep them in line with threats after we've given them a license without testing their road-worthiness. These people can never follow rules properly, because a lot of them simply don't know what the rules are.
We need driving schools that give more importance to theory rather than just giving the cars to people to drive on the road.

There's one driving school that I really appreciate because they do exactly what is needed to make the roads safer.(Not intended to advertise)
If you've been to Maruti Driving School, you'll really appreciate what they're doing. (unlike other driving schools that just do some 15 practical classes of 1/2 an hour each)
-They first do 7 hours of theory.
-5 simulator sessions.(half an hour)
-1 demo explaining about the car that you drive.
-10 practical sessions.(1 hour each)

-A theory test after all the theory sessions.
Don't you think this is similar to those in Western countries?
If all the driving schools were to be like this,wouldn't Indian roads become a lot more safer?

Last edited by Car_Freak_911 : 12th November 2013 at 17:59. Reason: adding a point.
Car_Freak_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 18:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Of course, they will only target private car owner's while the tempo's, truck's, government (BEST , ST) buses, autorikshaws & taxi's will drive away breaking all traffic rules without any care in the world.
That's correct. As of now, in the current situation also, only common people are targeted.

Other situation is, what about the "T" registered vehicals, they are registered on the company's name. Whose license will get the negative points.

Quote:
penalty receipt (challan) which will be sent to his or her email address or mobile phone number.
How many motorist have supplied their email address/mobile phone numbers while applying for license.
I did not have a mobile number when I had got my license.

This proposal sounds very good. But to implement it, our RTO will need a complete overhaul.
iamahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 18:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Freak_911 View Post

We need driving schools that give more importance to theory rather than just giving the cars to people to drive on the road.
Exactly!

The correct sequence should be to learn the rules first, then learn to drive according to those rules. Learning to drive first, then adapting to rules later simply doesn't work. Getting rid of habits and instincts is difficult, sometimes impossible.

At the driving school I went to, years ago, I wasn't allowed to drive until the third day. The first day was all about traffic rules, road signs and other theoretical stuff, followed by vehicle basics on the second day, including how to perform a basic check-up of vitals before driving each day. I remember writing a test on the final day too, before I was taken to the RTO for license formalities.

I was taught how to change the spare wheel before being allowed to get behind the steering wheel. I still see people stranded by the roadside, calling up roadside assistance for trivial issues. Just met a guy with a flat tire last week. When asked if he needed help, he sheepishly admitted he doesn't know how to use a jack.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 18:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:

I was taught how to change the spare wheel before being allowed to get behind the steering wheel
Yes, that's one important thing that needs to be taught in the driving schools. I asked my instructor to teach me that because that wasn't included in demo.(I wonder why...)
Also, simulator practice before driving on real roads should be implemented in every driving schools as it tells you even if you do very small mistakes.
Cheers
CF911
Car_Freak_911 is offline   Reply With Quote