Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 17:48   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Doesn't matter if I buy a Ferrari from that guy, the fact remains, a December monthly pass (with dates mentioned on it clearly) means it is valid for December only, otherwise it should be named as a "general monthly pass" or something of that sort, which implies it is valid from the date of issue for 30 days.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 17:57   #17
BHPian
 
pareshraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 69 Times
Default re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Oxy,

As iVento and others put it - The pass you bought holds validity from 1 Dec 2013 to 31 Dec 2013. Whether you buy it in Nov 2013 or say an x date in Dec 2013 is immaterial.

If I go by your logic then, if one purchases the Pass at the standard Majestic counter instead of the bus, he or she too should be allowed to travel free if they board the bus immediately after that.

I suppose your logic holds good only if, the pass you bought was valid for 30/31 days from the date of purchase.

Cheers
pareshraheja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 20:28   #18
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Thanks for the enlightenment everyone! I just did not know this.

It's not for the first time I am purchasing a monthly pass. I distinctly remember buying and using the pass sometime during the last few days of May/June this year, and then using it without an issue till the end of the following month.

I am still not convinced about the purpose of issuing it the month before. How is it a convenience when it cannot be used during that time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Oxy,

The BMTC conductor was absolutely right by asking you to pay for the ticket since the Monthly pass was valid only from the next day.

But he was totally wrong for offering you a discounted travel.

Having said that, you are equally wrong for ticket less travel. As per BMTC rules (I am sure with the other corporations also) the onus is on the passenger to purchase tickets. The conductor is NOT liable to pay fines when somebody get caught.

Thank your stars. It was only your luck that there was no Ticket Checking on your trip. Imagine, what could have been your conditions if they find you traveling without a valid ticket. Your argument of December pass will not sustain.
How was I supposed to know if I was guilty of ticketless travel at that time? The conductor just took a look at my pass and returned it back to me. He never asked me to purchase a ticket.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st December 2013 at 16:16. Reason: Please use multi-quote/edit feature rather than creating back to back posts
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 20:47   #19
BHPian
 
Karthik1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 575
Thanked: 363 Times
Default re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
How was I supposed to know if I was guilty of ticketless travel at that time? The conductor just took a look at my pass and returned it back to me. He never asked me to purchase a ticket.
Again the fault is yours! It was your duty to pay for thr ticket if the Pass was valid only for the month of December.

P.S: My father-in-law is the DME of Shantinagar Depot KSRTC and now is heading the training division which trains Conductors and Drivers. Will show him this thread and come back to you.
Karthik1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 21:57   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy

I am still not convinced about the purpose of issuing it the month before. How is it a convenience when it cannot be used during that time?
The bus you travelled was empty but thats not the case on morning. The bus will be crowded and its a tough task for the conductor to check passes and issue tickets. Regulars on IRR might have seen these buses stopped away from bus stops just for this ticket process.

Also, imagine the total amount a conductor may carry, if the pass is issued on single day. Additionally, sometimes passes gets over pretty quick and one has to check with 2-3 buses which is inconvenient.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 14:28   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

If the conductor, after handing over the DEC monthly pass had insisted that the OP pay the full-fare for his journey (which he should've since the PASS was invalid on that day), I would've applauded the conductor for being honest.

That he instead tried to earn a fast buck (even when he had the right to demand full legal fare), for me, puts him in the same bunch of crooks as the traffic cops who issue 'discounted' fines if you forego the receipt.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 22:06   #22
BHPian
 
Dieseltuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 361
Thanked: 274 Times
Default re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

BMTC conductors and PMT conductors (Pune) are the worst lot that i have come across. The BMTC buses that ply towards malleshwaram to IISC and Ramaiah college are full of students who are ready to pay less and forgo the ticket as they live on shoe string budgets. I studied at Ramaiah for 6 months on a small course and met these kind of BMTC conductors atleast thrice a week. (this was circa 2006) So, i suppose this is nothing new in Bangalore. I had hopped the situation might have improved, but as the opening post shows, its still the same.

Regards
Diesel

P.S :: These BMTC guys must be sent to Bombay, to get a hands on from the BEST conductors, the way they operate under crush dense loads is one commendable task, and yes not once i have met a el-cheato conductor on a BEST bus. Fingers crossed.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 23:35   #23
BHPian
 
vinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 851 Times
Default re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
BMTC conductors and PMT conductors (Pune) are the worst lot that i have come across. The BMTC buses that ply towards malleshwaram to IISC and Ramaiah college are full of students who are ready to pay less and forgo the ticket as they live on shoe string budgets. I studied at Ramaiah for 6 months on a small course and met these kind of BMTC conductors atleast thrice a week. (this was circa 2006) So, i suppose this is nothing new in Bangalore. I had hopped the situation might have improved, but as the opening post shows, its still the same.

Regards
Diesel

P.S :: These BMTC guys must be sent to Bombay, to get a hands on from the BEST conductors, the way they operate under crush dense loads is one commendable task, and yes not once i have met a el-cheato conductor on a BEST bus. Fingers crossed.
Oh oh! you stayed for just 6 months and you have written a thesis on BMTC conductors!

There were so many cases (some aired on local news channels) in the past where the BMTC staff were wrongly accused of bullying passengers, screaming and even molesting one girl!! All these were found to be completely false when people who understood the local language and the local flavor pointed fingers squarely at the so called 'victims'.

The underlying fact is, people who migrate to Bangalore just do not want to get along with the local crowd and anything and everything a localite does, attracts all possible negative comments and views.

Last edited by vinair : 1st December 2013 at 23:36.
vinair is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:34   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Banglore
Posts: 320
Thanked: 86 Times
Default re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am still not convinced about the purpose of issuing it the month before. How is it a convenience when it cannot be used during that time?
Just think in this way. Every month 1st day all the people are trying to purchase monthly pass from the conductor, as you know all the buses will be crowded during peak morning hours and some delay will be there. So i feel its convenient for us to get this 1 or 2 days ahead instead all the people are trying to get it on 1st morning.
And don't ever fall into their discount offer, pay the full amount and always demand tickets. Some conductors will try to do this trick if we are asking tickets for next immediate stop. But off late, in Volvo s they are not doing this trick compare to normal buses.
kavu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:20   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Oh oh! you stayed for just 6 months and you have written a thesis on BMTC conductors!
The underlying fact is, people who migrate to Bangalore just do not want to get along with the local crowd and anything and everything a localite does, attracts all possible negative comments and views.

This above statement applies to pretty much anywhere in India/ the world.
If one migrates or goes to a new place, the least one can do is to respect the local customs and learn the language to some extent at least to "get by".

We have to learn to "integrate" into the society we live in, however much we might dislike the said society.

Of course, this is not to excuse parochial behaviour or the random and nasty targeting of immigrants by locals which also is happening across India in an increasingly alarming manner.

The sooner we start thinking of ourselves as "Indians" first, the better it will be for the nation.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:47   #26
BHPian
 
Dieseltuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 361
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Oh oh! you stayed for just 6 months and you have written a thesis on BMTC conductors!

There were so many cases (some aired on local news channels) in the past where the BMTC staff were wrongly accused of bullying passengers, screaming and even molesting one girl!! All these were found to be completely false when people who understood the local language and the local flavor pointed fingers squarely at the so called 'victims'.

The underlying fact is, people who migrate to Bangalore just do not want to get along with the local crowd and anything and everything a localite does, attracts all possible negative comments and views.


Dear Sir,

I would request you to please restrain on the language you are using.


The topic of discussion here is the unscrupolous attitude of the bus conductors and it has nothing to do with the person being an 'Outsider' as you are pointing to.


Sir, please understand that, this is where our country as a whole is lagging behind, why do we have to see the other party as an 'outsider', aren't we all Indians ? and yes i agree that the local language is important and to enlighten you a little on my background on a public domain, since you were the one who commented on my short stay, I am a Gujarati, staying in Maharashtra since birth, married to a Bengali and yes, i do know Kannada (a little bit, which helped in my daily life there) which i picked up in my short stay of 6 months.


Why do we need these biases ?? and that too from an educated person (i am assuming you are educated as you have posted an online message) ???


The person posting this thread faced a problem so chronic all over India, why not support that guy and why bring out racial biasis up on a public domain ?


Dear Moderators,

This is the first instance, i have come across a racial slur by a Team-Bhp member commenting on a person's origin (place of birth). A thing which I thought was non existent on our forum, request you to please delete these messages as they are not at all related to the topic of discussion.

Regards
Dieseltuned.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Default Re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Oh oh! you stayed for just 6 months and you have written a thesis on BMTC conductors!

There were so many cases (some aired on local news channels) in the past where the BMTC staff were wrongly accused of bullying passengers, screaming and even molesting one girl!! All these were found to be completely false when people who understood the local language and the local flavor pointed fingers squarely at the so called 'victims'.

The underlying fact is, people who migrate to Bangalore just do not want to get along with the local crowd and anything and everything a localite does, attracts all possible negative comments and views.
My friend,

This is really illogical. You are wrong at ALL levels:
a. You cannot generalize his experience with other BMTC conductor complaints.
b. Please keep your opinion on locals / migrants to bangalore to yourself - it has no place on a forum like Team-BHP. You CANNOT use your disagreement with a particular opinion to attack a particular person just because he is a non-local.
c. The timing logic is really stupid. Here is someone saying he observed a behavior for what would be ~78 times (minimum) = 26 X 3, and you are somehow implying that one needs to spend decades before making simplistic observations?

By your logic, any Indian must spend atleast a decade abroad before he can express his respect and joy at driving / commuting / living within an evolved transportation system like say in Europe? no way!!

PS: I am not even getting into how places like Delhi (where I'm from, over three decades!) gets far more negative rap / comments from people who come from other states than BLR ever gets or will get. Fact is, after BOM (which has become unaffordable for far too many) - BLR is the second most loved metro city in India, where people who migrate want to settle down for good. I'm surprised at your defensiveness, really!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:05   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,017
Thanked: 4,194 Times
Default Re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Dear Sir,

Why do we need these biases ?? and that too from an educated person (i am assuming you are educated as you have posted an online message) ???

, i have come across a racial slur by a Team-Bhp member commenting on a person's origin (place of birth). A thing


.
I dont think there was any bias shown. Maybe Vinair just wanted to convey that you came into too early a conclusion about BMTC conductors or drivers. There are conductors who dont give you a ticket, and there are people who save money by not demanding a ticket. Hence we cant blams the conductor alone. The passenger has to demand a ticket, and also in that process pay the correct fare for the journey. No conductor I have ever seen has charged me correct fare and not given a ticket till date. Twice I was charged 10 in a vajra and when I demanded ticket the amount printed was Rs. 15 and I paid whatever I had to. The conductor never cried about losing his Rs. 10.

Hence I feel you have to exoerience more of BMTC in order to conclude if they are the best or the worst.

Last edited by audioholic : 2nd December 2013 at 15:07.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:59   #29
BHPian
 
vinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 851 Times
Default Re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Dear Sir,

I would request you to please restrain on the language you are using.


The topic of discussion here is the unscrupolous attitude of the bus conductors and it has nothing to do with the person being an 'Outsider' as you are pointing to.


Sir, please understand that, this is where our country as a whole is lagging behind, why do we have to see the other party as an 'outsider', aren't we all Indians ? and yes i agree that the local language is important and to enlighten you a little on my background on a public domain, since you were the one who commented on my short stay, I am a Gujarati, staying in Maharashtra since birth, married to a Bengali and yes, i do know Kannada (a little bit, which helped in my daily life there) which i picked up in my short stay of 6 months.


Why do we need these biases ?? and that too from an educated person (i am assuming you are educated as you have posted an online message) ???


The person posting this thread faced a problem so chronic all over India, why not support that guy and why bring out racial biasis up on a public domain ?


Dear Moderators,

This is the first instance, i have come across a racial slur by a Team-Bhp member commenting on a person's origin (place of birth). A thing which I thought was non existent on our forum, request you to please delete these messages as they are not at all related to the topic of discussion.

Regards
Dieseltuned.
Read the topic again, does it say only 'unscrupulous attitude of the bus conductors'?? It said the BMTC conductor was a con. How does one arrive at the conclusion.

BMTC has a complaint cell through which one can lodge a complaint. This does work. Also, there are phone numbers available in the BMTC portal that is pretty much functional. Have you ever tried doing this? Did you try bringing the issue you highlighted (of college kids not buying tickets) to the BMTC higher officials? Do that, you can later brand organizations as good or bad (if it really matters!!).

On racial slur, forget it buddy. That's the most misused term nowadays!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:22   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,625
Thanked: 9,096 Times
Default Re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Mod note: This discussion is getting needlessly heated. Please avoid personal attacks and injecting extraneous biases into the discussion. The thread will be closed if this persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
BMTC conductors and PMT conductors (Pune) are the worst lot that i have come across.
(...)
P.S :: These BMTC guys must be sent to Bombay, to get a hands on from the BEST conductors, the way they operate under crush dense loads is one commendable task, and yes not once i have met a el-cheato conductor on a BEST bus. Fingers crossed.
Generalizations are convenient, yes, but also inherently inaccurate. It's a fair statement that most BEST conductors are honest, for example, but a blanket clean chit is a little less credible. Also, you cannot tar all BMTC conductors with the same brush- there are enough and more of them who are just doing a hard job as best they can, and honestly to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Oh oh! you stayed for just 6 months and you have written a thesis on BMTC conductors!
(...)
The underlying fact is, people who migrate to Bangalore just do not want to get along with the local crowd and anything and everything a localite does, attracts all possible negative comments and views.
There really is no need to overreact here: the member posted a comment, he did not write a "thesis". Also, what you have stated is not "fact", it's an opinion. Having been at the receiving end of such comments to my face during my time in Bangalore (and elsewhere), let me tell you it's not a very pleasant one, either. One tries one's best as a new resident of a city to "fit in" and pick up whatever one can to get along. To blame all the woes of society on a migrant population, especially in a city that has chosen to define itself as a buzzing IT hub, is not right.

A couple of things are clear here: OP Oxy didn't realise that he was buying a pass that was valid only from a future date, which if you ask me is a perfectly reasonable assumption to make. It was the conductor's duty to inform him beforehand, since issuing a ticket for the current trip is his primary responsibility, and he failed to do so. The fact that he offered to transport Oxy at a "discounted" rate without issuing a ticket only proves his culpability.

BUT...there is no cause to generalise and say that all BMTC conductors are crooks or that even that this is a widespread practice. I have used the Volvo service along the ORR in Bangalore several times and never had any incident like this take place with me. Am sure there are folks who use the service virtually daily and the fact that nothing like this has been reported on our forums should give an indicator that this is a one-off, or at the very least not very frequent, occurrence.
noopster is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happens after the registration validity of my car expires MihirC Shifting gears 8 22nd June 2013 15:28
Validity of return toll ticket CeeCee Route / Travel Queries 15 23rd January 2012 15:18
Traffic Cops fines BMTC Hurrycane12 Commercial Vehicles 33 23rd July 2008 15:18
BMTC Volvo Accident on ORR - Bangalore. (TBHP Exclusive) benbsb29 Commercial Vehicles 25 6th September 2007 09:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks