Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th November 2013, 09:49   #1
Oxy
BHPian

Default Validity of BMTC monthly pass

This happened yesterday night. I had to drop my mother in law at the Bangalore City railway station. I live in Kadugodi, so decided to take a 335E volvo from the Majestic bus stand to return back home.

I boarded one, and at that time I was the only one in the bus. Suddenly it occured to me that I should be buying a monthly pass, since I would need it for the following month anyway. So I asked the conductor if he has one.

He replies in the affirmative. The pass costs Rs.1950, so I hand over Rs.2000 to him and he gives me the pass. He says he does not have Rs.50 change to give me back, and asks me where I will be getting down. I reply back saying Kadugodi, and he asks me to remind him on the way about the change.

So far so good. Now, after a couple of minutes, he comes to me and asks if I have the previous month's bus pass. I say I don't. Then he says that I need to purchase a ticket in that case, since the pass he gave me was for the month of December, but yesterday was 29th of November. Now, I had just purchased a pass from him costing nearly Rs.2000, so the idea of still paying up separately for the journey did not sound convincing to me. Moreover, if this was the case, why would BMTC not start issuing passes only during the first few days of the month?

During this time, when I was contemplating about what to do, he suddenly offers me a discount. He says that the ticket fare is Rs.90, and then asks me to forget about the Rs.50 that he owes me and he will "manage" the remaining Rs.40. I immediately sensed a red flag and pulled out my purse. Looked into it and found a 50, gave it to him, took a 100 from him, and got down. Then I boarded another Volvo, where I had no issues with the December pass.

So guys, beware. Right from petrol pump attendants to auto/cab drivers to even BMTC bus conductors will look to con the general public. Corruption exists even at the tiniest of levels. Maybe this dude thought that it's fair since I am an outsider and might be loaded with cash.

The situation is bleak, and pretty hopeless.
Oxy is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 10:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

BMTC guys try to make some quick money mostly on minimum fares tickets.

In your case, I think you can not travel with a December pass on November. BMTC issue passes in advance just to ease rush on December 1st.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 10:31   #3
Oxy
BHPian

Default re: Validity of BMTC monthly pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
BMTC guys try to make some quick money mostly on minimum fares tickets.

In your case, I think you can not travel with a December pass on November. BMTC issue passes in advance just to ease rush on December 1st.
Sorry but where exactly is the rush? Monthly passes are available with conductors on all BMTC Volvo buses, just like daily passes. It's not like people need to queue up at a certain place to purchase it. And it costs Rs.2000, which everyone cannot afford.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 10:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

So far so good. Now, after a couple of minutes, he comes to me and asks if I have the previous month's bus pass. I say I don't. Then he says that I need to purchase a ticket in that case, since the pass he gave me was for the month of December, but yesterday was 29th of November. Now, I had just purchased a pass from him costing nearly Rs.2000, so the idea of still paying up separately for the journey did not sound convincing to me. .
I think you got it wrong, mate. December pass is for that particular month even if you buy it in November. I have used monthly pass here in Chennai and the conductors are very particular about the month in which the cards are valid.

IMHO, this doesn't sound like a con.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 11:10   #5
BHPian

hmmm, This is nothing new to me frankly. Almost all BMTC (Leave aside some good ones - Very rare) drivers/conductors do this; ranging from Rs.1/2 to 50's. Personally I have faced this, fed up many times and felt helpless at times.

Hand over 10, they give you back 5 and you stand there waiting for the ticket, he turns to you staring shouts 2 more rupees and gives a ticket for 12 instead of 6 that usually costs.

Until they make travel cashless (Card as in foreign countries), this will continue.

O.T: In 2008, I once got to travel in a Honda Civic for 5 rupees from G.B.Palya to Silk Board, pity that owner that these drivers use their private cars like these. And MTR (Company that produces all Masalas) buses ferry full of passengers after dropping their staffs.

Though I have not worked for Infy/Wipro/TCS etc, I have traveled in all their staff buses/Sumos/TT's Don't blame me for this, it was that scarce of BMTC in those routes.

Forgot to mention, He was right in asking you to pay for the travel or November's pass according to me. I just want to blame the adjustment he was trying to make for that 50.

Last edited by ganesc : 30th November 2013 at 11:13. Reason: added point
ganesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I think you got it wrong, mate. December pass is for that particular month even if you buy it in November. I have used monthly pass here in Chennai and the conductors are very particular about the month in which the cards are valid.

+1 to that, doesn't sound like a con. In fact from a conductors point of view the title would have been "Passenger pulls off a con job by travelling in Nov with a Dec pass"

No offense meant dude
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 11:30   #7
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
+1 to that, doesn't sound like a con. In fact from a conductors point of view the title would have been "Passenger pulls off a con job by travelling in Nov with a Dec pass"

No offense meant dude
The question still remains that why will they bother to issue the following month's passes during the last few days of the current month if it's not going to be accepted during those days?

"Rush" cannot be an answer as I mentioned earlier in post #3.

And as mentioned in the incident, why did the second Volvo bus conductor not point it out to me?
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The question still remains that why will they bother to issue the following month's passes during the last few days of the current month if it's not going to be accepted during those days?

?
Isn't it better than issuing November pass to you for 2000 and letting you travel for free? That would be a con job actually.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 11:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:

i don't understand why this question arises. Its just convenience and I am thankful to them. I always buy the monthly pass when the bus is not crowded, in the evenings rather than on 1st morning.

And I note most BMTC conductors are very strict about the usage of the passes, and they are rightly so.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 11:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
pulled out my purse. Looked into it and found a 50, gave it to him, took a 100 from him, and got down.
Wasn't it easier to have done this first, rather than wait for him to arrange loose change before you alighted at some stop?

Almost all service providers from bus conductors to toll operators use this opportunity to exploit the common man. Have seen biscuit packets being offered instead of Rs.5 cash, sweets instead of Rs2 etc.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 12:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hearing incidents like this, I wonder why organisations don't follow the KISS principle more strictly. That's Keep It Simple, Stupid!

In any mass rapid transit system in the world, including the Mumbai local trains, a pass is valid from the date of issue. So if it's a monthly pass it would be valid from 29th Nov to 28th Dec. This is the first time I am hearing of a literal monthly pass. That doesn't make any sense.

BMTC Volvo bus conductors are equipped with electronic ticket issuing devices so am sure issuing a monthly pass real-time is not an issue. Strange that nobody thought of this!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 12:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

In any mass rapid transit system in the world, including ...., a pass is valid from the date of issue.
Beg to differ slightly here. When I was in Germany a couple of years back I was staying in Dortmund where DSW21 was the transport operator(trams, metro,bus). We used to buy a ticket called Ticket2000 for 64 euros, the validity of which is on a month basis, meaning if you buy a ticket on 1st or 15th or 29th of say November, the ticket is valid for that month only.
rajivr1612 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 13:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Beg to differ slightly here. When I was in Germany a couple of years back I was staying in Dortmund where DSW21 was the transport operator(trams, metro,bus). We used to buy a ticket called Ticket2000 for 64 euros, the validity of which is on a month basis, meaning if you buy a ticket on 1st or 15th or 29th of say November, the ticket is valid for that month only.
Not the best example to compare with: DSW21 today offers several flexible options for commuters including a Handyticket where you can actually book tickets on your mobile. However you are right, the monthly pass validity is still a calendar month. I assume if you try to buy one at a station on 29th Nov, the issuer will inform you that it is only valid from Dec 1st, which the BMTC guy clearly failed to do, and in fact tried to do an illegal transaction on the side as well. The fact that the monthly pass worked on the other bus makes it all the more mystifying!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 13:39   #14
BHPian

December 2013 pass validity starts from 1st December 2013 00:01 Hrs to 31st December 23:59 as per my knowledge .I also use BMTC Volvo pass.Yes few conductors never return the change.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2013 at 15:26. Reason: Typo
balechaparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 14:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:

And as mentioned in the incident, why did the second Volvo bus conductor not point it out to me?
Oxy,

The BMTC conductor was absolutely right by asking you to pay for the ticket since the Monthly pass was valid only from the next day.

But he was totally wrong for offering you a discounted travel.

Having said that, you are equally wrong for ticket less travel. As per BMTC rules (I am sure with the other corporations also) the onus is on the passenger to purchase tickets. The conductor is NOT liable to pay fines when somebody get caught.

Thank your stars. It was only your luck that there was no Ticket Checking on your trip. Imagine, what could have been your conditions if they find you traveling without a valid ticket. Your argument of December pass will not sustain.

Also, the corporation has the rights to confiscate your monthly/daily pass if the particulars are not filled or signed (when you are using the pass)

Normally BMTC starts issuing monthly passes 2 days in advance, just for the convenience of the passengers.

Agree that there are rash drivers & corrupt conductors in the corporation. At the same time they are the most 'exploited'. They work 14-15 haurs daily, sleep inside the bus on the hard surface, miss their family for days, wake up at 3AM for the first trip. At TBHP, we always complain about traffic jams, but these guys are compelled to spend their entire career in the midst of traffic jams & jam packed buses. Despite all these inconveniences, In the last 25 years, I have experienced only 1 strike at BMTC, that was in Sept 2012. I personally feel we should address them with little more respect & compassion.

Still all these doesn't give them any rights to cheat the Company & the passengers.

Oxy, No offense

Donot forget to read the ToI Story: A day in a life of a BMTC driver

Disclosure: I am not a BMTC Employee, occasionally I travel by BMTC.

Last edited by iVento : 30th November 2013 at 14:42.
iVento is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote