Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 21:15   #76
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
You can always wear the unbreakable plastic glasses. No matter what, they never shatter into pieces.

Hi Rockporiom, Feel really sad to read about the incident. Thankfully your dad is safe.

The one thing that acts as a barrier in getting the model with ABS/Airbags is the fact that the cost of that variant comes out to be in the close range of the base variant of the next segment car.
So, rather than going in for a model with these features, one "feels" like going a segment higher.
That feeling can be the difference between life and death. One has to decide whether they are interested in keeping themselves safe or want to show others that they have a bigger car.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 00:26   #77
BHPian
 
sapeco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Goa
Posts: 52
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

rockporiom, glad to know that you dad is alright. i wish him a speedy recovery. this incident once again underscores the fact that seatbelts, airbags and ABS are real life savers.

The Traffic police in India and police in general are not looking at pre-emptive measures to enforce road safety. Instead they concentrate their efforts on collecting fines and reaching their self set collection target for the respective month. This is totally and utterly pathetic. Also the entire process of obtaining a driving license in India is just a joke.
sapeco is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 14:30   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 47
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Stupid excuses such as I drive slow or I am going nearby don't work.
Scary thread and I am so glad your father is OK. "I am going nearby" is the worst excuse of all. If you search "Punto Accident" on Google, the first thread that is returned is the one I posted when my Punto was smashed some two years ago.

I was at home in NOIDA, relaxing, and my parents were driving in from Ambala (our hometown) to NOIDA in a different car. We'd recently shifted rented homes and they'd never been to this one. They lost their way some half-a-kilometre from our home and asked me to come and pick them up. Think of it, half-a-kilometre! As destiny would have it, I got smashed in that half-a-kilometre and survived only because I had the seat belt on.

Also, I can completely relate to your father shivering when he sits in the driving seat now. The psychological trauma of a major accident is, well, major and takes time to heal.
Samartha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 18:29   #79
BHPian
 
Safety is Param's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cosmopolitan
Posts: 297
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

My in-laws place is in Sabarmati and hence, I have driven most of these roads. Even the road coming in from Gandhinagar (the state Capital) that passes through Koba , Apollo Hospital and the dairy through to Baroda Expressway has cars doing insane speeds. May be take some cue from the Bangalore - Mysore highway and install some speed-breakers at periodic intervals. Though it may prove to be a little inconvenient, speeds of 130 can definitely be avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
The airbags save lives, no second thoughts.
If the impact from the airbag can cause damage to the seats, won't it cause injuries to the passenger specially those who always wear glasses?
How about contact lenses, if you are comfortable with them?
Safety is Param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 18:38   #80
BHPian
 
iVento's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 184
Thanked: 227 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
My in-laws place is in Sabarmati and hence, I have driven most of these roads. Even the road coming in from Gandhinagar (the state Capital) that passes through Koba , Apollo Hospital and the dairy through to Baroda Expressway has cars doing insane speeds. May be take some cue from the Bangalore - Mysore highway and install some speed-breakers at periodic intervals. Though it may prove to be a little inconvenient, speeds of 130 can definitely be avoided.

How about contact lenses, if you are comfortable with them?
Ruled out! I have Progressive spectacle lenses. I don't get suitable ones.
Also laser treatment ruled out.
I have to live with normal glasses :(
iVento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 19:10   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Delhi,Allahabad
Posts: 291
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The next time I meet an idiot who wants to save $$$ and skip the airbags, I'm going to show him this thread. They say, you need airbags only once in your life. When you do, it's the difference between a cracked skull and walking away alive.
Hey GTO,

I am a firm believer of fate. If you have your ticket booked, you will catch that heavenly bus, no matter what car or tank you are in.

Princess Diana died in a Merc ! Dodi's father sued Diamler Benz for the poor safety in the car, but lost the case. Wasn't the Merc running on a European (Paris) road in much better condition / environment than this ?

Remember the micromax youngster CEO who died on the BRT corridor in Delhi in his Lamborghini ? Wasn't that way superior in safety than the lowly ZDi ?

Therefore, bags or no bags, the direction of impact and the amount transferred to you at that instant is what decides.

Loss of life is a sorry tale, I am also sorry for the departed souls. May they rest in peace.
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 19:45   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,305
Thanked: 2,779 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Hey GTO,

I am a firm believer of fate. If you have your ticket booked, you will catch that heavenly bus, no matter what car or tank you are in.


Princess Diana died in a Merc ! Dodi's father sued Diamler Benz for the poor safety in the car, but lost the case. Wasn't the Merc running on a European (Paris) road in much better condition / environment than this ?

Remember the micromax youngster CEO who died on the BRT corridor in Delhi in his Lamborghini ? Wasn't that way superior in safety than the lowly ZDi ?

Therefore, bags or no bags, the direction of impact and the amount transferred to you at that instant is what decides.

Loss of life is a sorry tale, I am also sorry for the departed souls. May they rest in peace.
I firmly believe that this is the most deluded post I have read being a member on this forum

That Lambo hit 20 spokes of the railing and kept going for 150 metres before it hit the cyclist, and then stopped only after banging into a pole. It was claimed to have been doing speeds in excess of 180, plus the lunatic was not wearing his seatbelt. (please don't tell me you're one of those who also doesn't wear his seatbelt cause you think if it's your turn, it's your turn.)

Mercs or even any other car manufactured in the 90s, never even had what we could call a 4 star ncap safety rating today. Add to that the speed at which they were travelling, and you have a fatal crash.
No one is saying that you can run around town acting invincible if you are in a car equipped with tons of safety tech. Infact the very fact that Daimler Benz won that case is because after simulating and testing, they found out that the car reacted perfectly normally and Lady Dianna's passing was not an intervention by god or "fate".

I hope for your sake, that you don't take offence from this post, and that you buy/recommend a car with decent levels of safety kit in the future since this will drastically minimize the fatality risk.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th December 2013 at 20:08.
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 19:56   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 313 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post

Hey GTO,

I am a firm believer of fate. If you have your ticket booked, you will catch that heavenly bus, no matter what car or tank you are in.

Princess Diana died in a Merc ! Dodi's father sued Diamler Benz for the poor safety in the car, but lost the case. Wasn't the Merc running on a European (Paris) road in much better condition / environment than this ?

Remember the micromax youngster CEO who died on the BRT corridor in Delhi in his Lamborghini ? Wasn't that way superior in safety than the lowly ZDi ?

Therefore, bags or no bags, the direction of impact and the amount transferred to you at that instant is what decides.

Loss of life is a sorry tale, I am also sorry for the departed souls. May they rest in peace.
Let's leave your point of fate aside for a while.

Don't you think safety aids like seat belts and airbags at least save your body from severe harm! Imagine the kind of impact the person would have been subjected to in a crash like this. He could surely have lost some body part or got paralysed or disabled in some way!

Top the above trauma with long hospital bills and inconvenience to the family.

That's the thing with us Indians. We readily leave important aspects like our safety to fate and crib about smaller insignificant stuff!!
trek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 20:32   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,519
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Princess Diana died in a Merc ! Dodi's father sued Diamler Benz for the poor safety in the car, but lost the case. Wasn't the Merc running on a European (Paris) road in much better condition / environment than this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That Lambo hit 20 spokes of the railing and kept going for 150 metres before it hit the cyclist, and then stopped only after banging into a pole. It was claimed to have been doing speeds in excess of 180, plus the lunatic was not wearing his seatbelt. (please don't tell me you're one of those who also doesn't wear his seatbelt cause you think if it's your turn, it's your turn.)...

I hope for your sake, that you don't take offence from this post, and that you buy/recommend a car with decent levels of safety kit in the future since this will drastically minimize the fatality risk.
Thanks IshaanIan for your post. However, I want Lifebuoy to take offence and stop posting such irrational posts on a responsible forum.

By the way, the ill fated Merc was being driven at more than double the speed limit on that stretch by apparently a drunk driver.
sourabhzen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 21:37   #85
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,575
Thanked: 80,460 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Princess Diana died in a Merc !
Buddy, you missed the most obvious fact : Diana's bodyguard was the ONLY person in that S-Class to wear a seat-belt...and he walked out alive. The other 3 (all dead) didn't buckle up.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 21:50   #86
BHPian
 
Jred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Oh my. That looks horrible to say the least. Happy your Dad's fine. Sorry for those two lives lost. Airbags indeed, I think hence forth all new cars should come with airbags as standard fitment and not optional or on higher variants.
Jred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 00:56   #87
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Ruled out! I have Progressive spectacle lenses. I don't get suitable ones.
Also laser treatment ruled out.
I have to live with normal glasses :(
Hey man, I thought that previous quote from google solved your doubts. Belive me man the chances of eye injury is very low and next to negligible. If you still have doubts would provide you with more sources



Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Hey GTO,

I am a firm believer of fate. If you have your ticket booked, you will catch that heavenly bus, no matter what car or tank you are in.

Princess Diana died in a Merc ! Dodi's father sued Diamler Benz for the poor safety in the car, but lost the case. Wasn't the Merc running on a European (Paris) road in much better condition / environment than this ?

Remember the micromax youngster CEO who died on the BRT corridor in Delhi in his Lamborghini ? Wasn't that way superior in safety than the lowly ZDi ?

Therefore, bags or no bags, the direction of impact and the amount transferred to you at that instant is what decides.

Loss of life is a sorry tale, I am also sorry for the departed souls. May they rest in peace.
You surely are delusional man. How can you even compare those incidents with this one. How the hell can you drive on roads just by thinking about fate. This is another stupid reason for not wearing seatbelts. If you think airbags and seatbelts don't matter you are free not to opt for them but don't give others wrong advice just because you believe that fate will decide whether it's your day or not. Your post was definately offending and misguiding. Please get your facts right before posting. If all manufacturers start thinking like you god alone knows by how much the death rate would increase.

What you are saying in the post is like a child saying "I believe in superman so if I jump from the building he will save me."



Another offending thing you said was lowly zdi what do you mean by that. It was the car that saved my dad's life not any stupid fate. My dad saved himself because of his habit of wearing seatbelts even if it is 100m and buying cars that have airbags and abs as must. If he had beliveed in fate like you and gone for a ldi to save some dough he would I don't want to mention it.

Last edited by rockporiom : 6th December 2013 at 01:20.
rockporiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 03:29   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 176
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

A few days ago I was to drive an out of town friend's family from Bombay to Shirdi. A couple of hours before departure, I happened to mention to my friend that all passengers in my car have to wear seat belts on highways and that I refuse to drive on highways if anyone in my car is not wearing a belt.

She said that she and her two daughters, aged about 16 and 11, will not wear a seat belt and that they would rather hire a taxi than wear seat belts. She tried to argue that the last time they had done the trip only the front passenger had to wear a belt and it was not necessary for others to wear.

I explained to her that seat belts are very important from safety point of view etc etc, and finally she relented and said that she would wear but her children will definitely not wear seat belts since they start vomiting if they wear a seat belt.

Any guesses on what happened next?

Last edited by lapsi : 6th December 2013 at 03:35.
lapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 07:13   #89
BHPian
 
Suraj25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 206
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
Any guesses on what happened next?
There was an incident where you had to brake really hard, and the kids hurt themselves.(?)
Suraj25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 09:42   #90
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
I explained to her that seat belts are very important from safety point of view etc etc, and finally she relented and said that she would wear but her children will definitely not wear seat belts since they start vomiting if they wear a seat belt.

Any guesses on what happened next?
What a stupid excuse to not wear seatbelts. In fact children should wear seatbelts since small children may play mischief in car or jump around in their seat and god forbid anything was to happen they would definately be injured.

Let' make on thing clear and hope everyone agrees to this is that when you are travelling at high speeds and have a collision the airbags, crumple zones, Collapsible steering are all useless if you are not wearing seatbelts.

On as to what happened next I hope there wasn't a collision.

Last edited by rockporiom : 6th December 2013 at 09:44.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unfortunate but my spark met with small accident bkm Technical Stuff 8 25th October 2010 19:12
Met with an accident, need help :( RROD Street Experiences 16 3rd April 2008 07:47
Met with an Accident on Chennai - Bangalore GQ novice Street Experiences 28 7th February 2007 01:18
Car met with an accident.. karthik247 Street Experiences 22 22nd May 2006 22:51
Met an accident in Chennai - Suggestions please prkothan Street Experiences 9 3rd January 2006 16:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks