Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd December 2013, 13:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

This thread went exactly where I did NOT intend it to go.

This thread was NOT intended to discuss the incident or culpability of the 'alleged' parties involved, but the media's total lack of reporting on it.

I agree that it was a non-fatal incident, but if magnitude alone was an indicator of news-worthiness, half of the daily news (and majority of the channels) would cease to exist.

What I find ridiculous is NOT the already-limited reporting of the incident, but the alteration or removal of whatever actually made it to the public domain.

What I also find sad and revolting is NOT that we live in a information-controlled society (which is a simple deduction for anyone willing enough to look at the whole picture), but our terminal resignation to the situation (not to mention some of us actually find nothing wrong with the double-standards on display in general, not necessarily in this incident alone).

I often find myself part of the 'helpless' crowd as a common man, but haven't resigned myself to the 'hopeless' bunch, yet.

MODS: Please consider closing this thread if you think it's becoming pointless.

Also consider merging my two posts if appropriate. Posted separately as I didn't want to mix two responses, one being generic to the thread and one a specific response to another poster. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
People are interested. But why? Expensive car and rich family? So we cannot accept the possibility that it may not lead to punishment for one of the family members because it will fulfill some sort of sense of higher justice within us?
While I agree that someone's name or societal position shouldn't become an excuse to dish out punishment, it should also not become an excuse to avoid it, which is often the case.

Quote:
Then we should also have a thread and regular news channel space devoted to why a certain actor is given free holidays from jail every other month on questionable grounds
Agreed . It's another example of blatant double-standards. How many incarcerated common Joes are paroled to care for sick family, or sometimes for absurd and frivolous reasons? Why keep the person incarcerated at all and waste taxpayer money when anyone with a handful of grey cells can see through this sham?

Quote:
As a reader I would be more glad if the news channels ran a series of dedicated articles on why the Adarsh scam report was not accepted by the government? And a million other such issues. A minor accident doesn't merit any more coverage than it has already got.
Yes, the issues are all around us, and we need serious journalism around these, not frivolous scandals to keep us occupied while real news goes unreported, sometimes intentionally so.

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2013 at 18:37. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 21:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Why the media blackout on the Aston Martin crash?

So looks like the cops and the witnesses involved have finally being compensated aptly and the case will be closed now. The driver has been identified by the girl in the Audi. Interestingly the same girl earlier said that she didn't see the driver properly to be able to identify him.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/m...-lateststories
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 21:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Witness intimidation or compensation. With people like these involved, it is a clear case of either putting out the frighteners or the munimji messengers.

India is corrupt to the core. Everyone plays the system for personal gain.

The fact that this kind of thing can happen in full public view is merely an illustration of the sham situation that we live in.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 21:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Witness intimidation or compensation. With people like these involved, it is a clear case of either putting out the frighteners or the munimji messengers.

India is corrupt to the core. Everyone plays the system for personal gain.

The fact that this kind of thing can happen in full public view is merely an illustration of the sham situation that we live in.
Totally agree. I will be deviating from the topic but to be honest ours is actually a very funny country. Or can I call it a very pretentious country. We all like to pretend that we are perfect in our way of doing things and choose to ignore the reality which is very different. Be it the caste system, rich vs poor, discrimination on basis of caste and creed, respect for women, respect for fellow citizens, respect for foreigners, respect for animals etc etc. Everywhere corruption is rampant. Its painful to get anything done at any of the government institutions without proper approach and bribes. Its painful to get a job without again bribing or using approach. And the list just goes on and on. I hope this rant doesn't get deleted.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 22:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Corruption is rampant in India. But, after reading the report of a drunk teenager in the US killing 4 in an accident and getting away with just a probation, I am willing to bet that the rich and powerful will get away with an accident like the Aston Martin crash in every country in the world.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 00:02   #36
BHPian

Latest news on the Aston Crash :

The driver of the speeding Aston Martin which crashed into two other cars in Mumbai earlier this month has been identified by one of the complainants.

Phorum Ruparel, whose Audi car was smashed in the pile up on south Mumbai's Peddar road, has identified 55-year-old Bansilal Joshi, a driver with Reliance Ports, to be the Aston Martin's driver, say sources, adding that Ms Ruparel has been compensated for the crash.

Ms Ruparel had earlier said she is not sure whether the driver was Mr Joshi, as she "did not see the driver properly. It happened so fast that I couldn't manage to see anything."
rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 03:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Corruption is rampant in India. But, after reading the report of a drunk teenager in the US killing 4 in an accident and getting away with just a probation, I am willing to bet that the rich and powerful will get away with an accident like the Aston Martin crash in every country in the world.
I was watching an old episode of 'Judge John Deed' where a similar accident situation was featured, where a very rich and powerful chap, ran over a couple of kids and their mother in a school zone because he was checking his cell phone at the time. Of course, he got away scot free in a similar manner and if I remember right, by putting one of his employees on the dock to fry instead of himself. This Aston Martin case is like a kind of deja vu and appears like life is imitating fiction!

Point is, like you said, this kind of thing can happen anywhere in the world. It is just that it seems worse when it happens here because the discrepancies between rich and poor in India are so stark that the rich really believe they are 'entitled' and can get away with anything.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 04:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Will add to this :O J Simpson case
Rich and powerful can get away with anything.
And anyone still watching Indian News channels can as well switch over to Saas Bahu soaps.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 08:02   #39
BHPian

Agree this thread is meandering but thought I would add my two bits as well. Firstly, this incident was front page news in both the TImes of India and the Hindustan Times in Bombay, even though no one was killed (which is pretty unusual, and likely took place only due to the nature if the car involved). However, there was no follow up barring the Mumbai Mirror and Zee News.

I think this incident has become bigger news online than it should have due to perceptions of an attempted cover up. No one (even someone like me who think the company concerned has done far, far more good than harm to India, and can attest that the group is far more honest in its dealings than the average Indian business group) believes that a paid driver trusted with a car like this would be irresponsible enough to crash it. But this has led to ridiculous speculation online about the nature of the accident, and unreasonable expectations on what the police should be doing to investigate it. Frankly if the police take cognisance of this matter and proceed even against the self confessed driver, they would be doing far more than they do in similar incidents. I once had an accident where a speeding Trax rammed into my car which was stationary at 8 am at a red signal (same jurisdiction as this crash). My car was pushed forward several feet, and the rear was smashed badly. There were no injuries since I was alone in the car, wearing a seat belt and there was no car in front of me. The Trax sped away. Despite noting its number and filing an FIR, no action was taken, and I had to pay the insurance deductible and lose my no claim bonus. Checks with a senior police officer we know revealed that the standard procedure in cases no involving death or very serious injury is to file it and forget it. Don't see how the "poor" driver of the Trax was less culpable than the driver of the Aston Martin. Fortunately, no one was hurt badly in this incident, and the driver concerned would have learned a relatively cheap lesson on the dangers of speeding.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 09:19   #40
BHPian

So the latest update is that both the victims have got brand new cars.
The lady who had an Audi A6 got a new A6 whereas the man who had an Elantra got a new Skoda Superb.
StrangeWizard is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 09:20   #41
BHPian

So they get an A6 and a Skoda Superb.
Merry christmas .
manas27587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 09:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Despite noting its number and filing an FIR, no action was taken, and I had to pay the insurance deductible and lose my no claim bonus. Checks with a senior police officer we know revealed that the standard procedure in cases no involving death or very serious injury is to file it and forget it. Don't see how the "poor" driver of the Trax was less culpable than the driver of the Aston Martin. Fortunately, no one was hurt badly in this incident, and the driver concerned would have learned a relatively cheap lesson on the dangers of speeding.
Fully agree with you Hayek, on this very forum, we keep harping about the fact how the common people judge the bigger/more expensive vehicle to be always at fault. Similarly in your case, everyone (including the authorities) let the trax driver get away, where in because Reliance group is involved (doesn't matter if fatboy was driving or not), a big hue and cry is being made about a coverup. How different is the trax driver from Reliance now?

Poor Salman Khan runs over people sleeping illegally on the road, and as usual a big hue and cry over it, where in everyday a speeding dumper (the driver who is drunk usually), casually runs over poor cyclists, bikers, killing them, yet a small footnote is reserved for this news in TOI. In both cases it is a bailable offense until the case comes up in court, however our illiterate media wants to try the rich and famous even before the case comes up for trial.
Its high time we have suing laws against media, and watch them tuck their tails between their legs.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 09:27   #43
BHPian

The compensation: https://twitter.com/neetakolhatkar/s...665792/photo/1
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 09:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Today's papers claim the complainant has supposedly identified the driver as the same person who had surrendered to the police claiming to be the driver.

One newspaper claims that the complainant has said "either him or someone like him" was at the wheel of the Aston Martin.

One newspaper has also published a photo of a "brand new" Audi parked at the residence of the complainant, the last four digits being the same as the Audi that was damaged in the accident. It's a BJ 6666 series. The vehicle which was damaged bears an MH 14 registration number and the brand new car bears MH 03 registration (from the newspaper photos). So this means the complainant has got a brand new Audi? It looks impossible for her to buy a new car in such a short period of time. So is this RIL's way of making good the damages to the victim? And is that why now the case will be closed, since the identification formalities are over?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 09:37   #45
BHPian

And that's how its done !
Case closed !
Attached Images

///RMan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote