Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th January 2014, 22:35   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore Traffic Police to moderate multi-tone horns

The nuisance of multi-tone and loud horns is increasing with each passing day. This problem requires a long term solution across the country. Even places like school and hospitals are not spared by honkers. Nobody bothers about No Horn Zone. These three words are actually loosing their value.

It is delightful to note that at least, some authority has realised that this menace needs to be curbed. Dubai is a country which has almost zero honking.

Each one of us, need to understand and realise this growing problem and if we all decide to start addressing this within our own individual limits, I am confident that we will contribute in bringing some silence to the over crowded streets of our country.

Hyundai stock horns are the best but sound weak as they can't cope up with the already existing noise.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 07:05   #17
BHPian

Let them check those weird colored private buses. Almost everyone has that horn and a heavy right foot. Morons.
akshay380 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 08:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

The news in today's TOI Bangalore edition about BTP going hard on shrill horns. See news pic below.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140105_083255.png
Views: 955
Size:  499.3 KB

Although it says anything other than manufacturer fitted horns will attract actions, I am eager to see what they do with vehicles that come with shrill horns from factory itself. I feel no horn zone implementation is far effective than this select horn thingie!
abirnale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 10:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Just when I was thinking about swapping the car horns with a pair of Bosch Symphony
Though I never need to use the horns in the city, they are an absolute necessity on the highway. Since my Sx4 does highway runs usually, I feel having good horns is a must. The current ones are quite good, but since they are old, they may pack up soon. Guess I will wait and watch.

Again, the victims of this drive will be car owners mainly with the symphony kind of stuff. The real miscreants, ie the buses and trucks with those trumpets rarely get caught. It is those people who needs to be caught and fined.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 11:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Just when I was thinking about swapping the car horns with a pair of Bosch Symphony
AFAIK, since the good old days of Ambassadors and Fiats to present, the original horns can stay put in the car along with a new pair of powerful horns and one can select the horn he needs using a toggle switch.

So installing (not swapping) a new pair of Horn should not be an issue. Only care needs to be taken not to use the new horn with in city limits and you must be doing fine.
ashkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 13:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

If the police are clever enough to pop open the hood, an extra pair of horns will just make their case stronger.

To my surprise, I dont find anything about the horn in the brouchures of both my cars. I remember the mention of 'Dual tone horn' in the brochure when the cars were purchased.
Old 5th January 2014, 14:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Nobody bothers about No Horn Zone.
They think it is the "Know Horn Zone...." a place to test horns and to let other vehicle owners know that you have a horn.

I've never really felt the need to use the horn on the highways. In the cities, it's needed to make other vehicle drivers aware of your position and to warn pedestrians who may carelessly walk onto the road (they always do - in our country, foot paths are considered too sacred to step upon).
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 15:09   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I've never really felt the need to use the horn on the highways. In the cities, it's needed to make other vehicle drivers aware of your position and to warn pedestrians who may carelessly walk onto the road (they always do - in our country, foot paths are considered too sacred to step upon).
The same logic you mentioned about using horns within city limits applies during highway driving as well. There are innumerable instances when you are overtaking a lorry or a public transport bus when he suddenly veers into your path trying to overtake another vehicle. A short beep makes them aware of your presence. Similarly, there are also cases where a side road joining a highway sees local traffic merging onto a highway without even acknowledging the presence of traffic already on the highway.

That said, i do not endorse using ultra-loud horns for the same, the OEM ones work fine for me!
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 15:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
If the police are clever enough to pop open the hood, an extra pair of horns will just make their case stronger.
If you strictly use your regular horn in city and the Bosch Symphony during your highway rides, I don't see any reason why the police will pop open your car hood. Bangalore must have more than a couple of million vehicles on the road and police definitely have more than they can handle in their plate already.

The only give away is if some one in your neighbourhood / building / office report your car horn on the BTP website (i.e. if you were to use it in your building / office premises / neighbourhood). Then it could result in a concerted effort by the police to take action in this regard.
Old 5th January 2014, 15:35   #25
BHPian

Wonderful! What's next? BTP have got their priorities all wrong and mixed up.

Personally I would rather do without horns. I have driven for more than 80K kms outside India and during those drives have had to use the horn less than 4 times, all thanks to the general lane discipline being followed. But back in Bangalore/India not having a decently loud horn is near to suicidal. I have lost count of the times when someone pops up from nowhere warranting the use of a horn.

BTP should concentrate on introducing lane discipline first - the single biggest contributor for our traffic jjams and thereby the resulting sound pollution.

Every single day I observe on the Hosur road slow moving trucks/ pickups/ what not driving on the right most lane. Result? Others trying to hog the space on the other lanes and at times zig zagging... and all this adds to inumerable usage of the horn. NICE road is another typical example where the lack of lane discipline contributing to chaos/ jams/ slow traffic is glaringly obvious. </rant>

Last edited by vinjosep : 5th January 2014 at 15:37.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 18:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

I generally hate honking, having always learned and believed it to be an impolite, ill-mannered activity.
My wife gets rather exasperated with me at times for this non-honk strategy, on account of the crazy halfwits occupying our roads, but thats ok - I still manage without honking or at least with a very occasional honk!
My Uncle visited us from the UK after ages. We were blundering about the city of Bangalore to show him how the sights, landscapes, cityscapes and soundscapes had changed in the last 30 odd years.
When we got back home that day, he said he was very pleasantly surprised at my absolute non-usage of the horn the whole time - just like what he was used to in his part of the world. I drove just like I normally do and was pleasantly surprised at this bit of praise. It was an approbation of my driving technique and road habits/manners.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 20:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
If you strictly use your regular horn in city and the Bosch Symphony during your highway rides, I don't see any reason why the police will pop open your car hood. Bangalore must have more than a couple of million vehicles on the road and police definitely have more than they can handle in their plate already.
One pair of horns is more than sufficient for me mate I follow a strict policy of not honking inside the city. So even if I dont have those stock horns I wont have a problem. Inside the city, even if a road is blocked, I dont honk and I will flash my lights and wait patiently.

On the highways is a different game as I need the horn to serve multiple purpose:
1. To give a short blip before passing a vehicle moving in the left lane, to warn them not to come to the right lane, mostly heavy vehicles. They rarely notice or hear us approaching and hence I make sure they know my presence.

2. To kick slow moving trucks and buses out of the right lane. However cars are exempted as most of them are disciplined or the others race away from my sight This is done by irritating them by regular blips of the horn.

3. While passing a group of people, to warn the morons who try to run across the road.

Maybe its not fair or right, but it is a necessity on the highways I travel. However as I previously said in cities or towns I consider horns as the biggest nuisance and just dont press the horn pad.
Old 5th January 2014, 21:14   #28
BHPian

I never understand the mindset of BTP. When the whole city is struggling with illegal parking, heavy vehicles entering into all the roads at peak hours, brainless design of bus stops, thousands of U turn options in each of the roads, people riding on footpaths and they are giving importance to the kind of trumpets the cars posses. Hopeless.

No one is denying that it should not be done but there are bigger problems to tackle. Some one should prioritize the tasks for them. Once they do all the above people would not need to honk. Actions always expresses priorities and this suggests they got their priorities absolutely wrong.
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 21:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

The biggest culprits seem to be the private buses and trucks. Their horns are truly hellish: a kid would have to be excused thinking it awoke in hell. And then there are the IT/BPO cabs: whose dual horns seem to be connected to the brake pedal.

I wouldnt mind if the cops struck at the root of a problem this time.

Last edited by theMAG : 5th January 2014 at 21:22.
theMAG is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 22:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
One pair of horns is more than sufficient for me mate I follow a strict policy of not honking inside the city. So even if I dont have those stock horns I wont have a problem. Inside the city, even if a road is blocked, I dont honk and I will flash my lights and wait patiently.

On the highways is a different game as I need the horn to serve multiple purpose:
1. To give a short blip before passing a vehicle moving in the left lane, to warn them not to come to the right lane, mostly heavy vehicles. They rarely notice or hear us approaching and hence I make sure they know my presence.

2. To kick slow moving trucks and buses out of the right lane. However cars are exempted as most of them are disciplined or the others race away from my sight This is done by irritating them by regular blips of the horn.

3. While passing a group of people, to warn the morons who try to run across the road.

Maybe its not fair or right, but it is a necessity on the highways I travel. However as I previously said in cities or towns I consider horns as the biggest nuisance and just dont press the horn pad.
I just seem to have very similar honking habits that you have. I never honk in the city, flash my lights and am an extremely patient guy.

On the highways, I give a short blip while passing a slow moving vehicle on the left lane and for exactly the same reason that you mentioned above.

For slowing moving trucks on the right lane, I know it is an age old habit (during the earlier single lane road era, the road side tree branches used to branch out towards the road and sometimes foul the upper load / goods sections of the trucks and hence the truck drivers make it a habit to drive farther away from the trees and that's how you see some very old trucks laboring on the right lane with some equally old driver at the helm. Even though now the roads are 6 lanes and there are fewer trees lining the roads, old habits die hard and they just drive the way they were driving for many decades ( and pass it on to their helper / cleaner who later promote to become drivers themselves and continue with the same mistake). These drivers never think that times have changed and better driving habits has to be inculcated. So there is no point in honking behind them to make them move left. they will never learn, it is not wired in their brain. so if the road is clear I just overtake from the left and move on ( fully aware that it is not proper to drive that way).

And yes when people / cattle / dogs are moving anyway near the highway, I use multiple short blips to just make them aware and for stationary cattles I try not to honk but carefully circumvent from their back side and move on ( no point in scaring them).

I remember a guy from Kerala ( Dr. Rajesh if I remember right) mentioning in a automobile forum that he has never used the horn not even once during his entire trip from Cochin or trivandrum ( some major kerala city which I don't remember now)to Bangalore and back and rarely uses horn in cities too. He has done many long distance trips without ever using the horn. These are some exceptional guys who have lot of patience and role model drivers to others.