Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 23:41   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 176
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

In the ideal world, I agree with your say.
Agreed. Some more points to add to your list:

1. There should not have been a zebra crossing on a highway.
2. Even if it was there, there should have been sign boards indicating that a zebra crossing is coming up.
3. And for adequate safety, there should have been a speed breaker to slow down cars.

But be that as it may, it is still the legal responsibility of vehicles to protect pedestrians. And despite the initial shock, if the zebra crossing was seen at any stage, the pedestrian would not have been called a jaywalker.

Last edited by lapsi : 18th January 2014 at 00:09.
lapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 16:10   #77
BHPian
 
TheHkrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: KL-45/KA-51
Posts: 114
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Hi Arun,

I can pretty well relate to your feeling of the crash.. Airbags and seat belt saved our lives as well.

I have to thank T-Bhp and the supreme force as you said for enabling us to make better decisions while buying the car.

Sorry for all the preaching , what is the estimate time of delivery ?

P.S: The dzire has taken the hit pretty well for 2+ lakhs workout. Do let us know about your future plans.
TheHkrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 10:16   #78
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3
Thanked: Once
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Take care Arun. Lucky that you and the bike-guy were unhurt. Still I feel the intersections at curves are dangerous always.
I came across a jeep coming in the opposite direction in the right lane once in a curve and luckily there was no one to my left lane and so I managed to escape steering left. I think we need to be more cautious in curves after Madurai.
anto_giscard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 15:10   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 3,939 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Hi Arun,

I can pretty well relate to your feeling of the crash.. Airbags and seat belt saved our lives as well.

I have to thank T-Bhp and the supreme force as you said for enabling us to make better decisions while buying the car.

Sorry for all the preaching , what is the estimate time of delivery ?

P.S: The dzire has taken the hit pretty well for 2+ lakhs workout. Do let us know about your future plans.
The work has not started yet, the insurance company is pushing for cash settlement(IDV) but they are yet to send any official communication on this. I have already escalated this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto_giscard View Post
Take care Arun. Lucky that you and the bike-guy were unhurt. Still I feel the intersections at curves are dangerous always.
I came across a jeep coming in the opposite direction in the right lane once in a curve and luckily there was no one to my left lane and so I managed to escape steering left. I think we need to be more cautious in curves after Madurai.
Yes, we need to be extra cautious at intersections. There are some dangerous curves near Valliyoor and Panagudi as well.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 20:17   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,604
Thanked: 1,206 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Arun, do you have any thoughts on what your next car is going to be,provided the insurance declare this as total loss?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 21:05   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 251 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Wow! Just read this thread. First off, I'm glad that you're safe, in no small part due to good habits (belting up) and good choices (your car). I too had a car crash recently and I can relate to your choice of not wanting to injure anyone - one can only imagine the agony of guilt should you maim anyone, even if he brought it on himself.

Congratulations and good luck! God bless
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 22:13   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 3,939 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Arun, do you have any thoughts on what your next car is going to be,provided the insurance declare this as total loss?
Yes, if it is a cash settlement then I will be looking at the diesel models of Fiesta Classic, Linea, SX4, Ertiga. I was interested in Rapid but not having the guts due to the Skoda scary stories. I like to have XUV500 but my budget doesn't permit. My wife is not interested in Manza, Etios, Verito so thay are dropped by default.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Wow! Just read this thread. First off, I'm glad that you're safe, in no small part due to good habits (belting up) and good choices (your car). I too had a car crash recently and I can relate to your choice of not wanting to injure anyone - one can only imagine the agony of guilt should you maim anyone, even if he brought it on himself.

Congratulations and good luck! God bless
Thanks for the good wishes! I went through your thread as well and good to know that safety features helped. Hope you are not facing any issues with your insurance claim.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 09:27   #83
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 3,892
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

How is the claim coming along? If there is no movement, I would urge you to write to the customer care and top brass of the insurance company. Not as an escalation but a notification letter with all the facts detailed out to let them in the know. It will help to get a push on the settlement.

OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, if it is a cash settlement then I will be looking at the diesel models of Fiesta Classic, Linea, SX4, Ertiga. I was interested in Rapid but not having the guts due to the Skoda scary stories. I like to have XUV500 but my budget doesn't permit. My wife is not interested in Manza, Etios, Verito so thay are dropped by default.
Why don't you look at the lower variants of the new City Diesel? They are equipped with ABS/EBD and driver airbag from the lowest variant itself.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 17:43   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 3,939 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Finally got official communication from royal sundaram. They will settle me with the IDV value. The buyer will pay me 3.2L and RS will pay me 1.85L.

This insurance was taken through Maruti(So called Maruti Insurance), I should say that these guys doesn't have any hold over the Royal Sundaram guys. In fact Maruti didn't even bother to respond to my emails/calls when I raised concerns over the delay. They told me to be in touch with Royal Sundaram as they don't have any hold over them.

However here is an extract from their website which speaks otherwise(https://www.marutiinsurance.com/why-...insurance.aspx),
Quote:
"The customer is not forced to bear the undue differential cost of repair/ replacement. All transactions are completely transparent. No hassles of personal involvement or follow up with surveyors/ insurance co. etc. No botheration of depositing the salvage with insurance co."
Meanwhile, I have taken a decision on my next car and yes I will be shifting base from Maruti to Fiat. Its Fiat Linea Emotion(Diesel), I just couldn't resist myself from a mouth watering discount of 1.85L for a Jan 2013 car. Thanks to nkrishnap and KarthikK for assisting me through this transaction including the PDI part. I have done the booking and will need to arrange the funds to take the delivery. The ODO is at 113.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Why don't you look at the lower variants of the new City Diesel? They are equipped with ABS/EBD and driver airbag from the lowest variant itself.
I was looking at passenger airbag as well. The SV model which has both hits 12L and hence out of budget.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 19:43   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,604
Thanked: 1,206 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Meanwhile, I have taken a decision on my next car and yes I will be shifting base from Maruti to Fiat. Its Fiat Linea Emotion(Diesel), I just couldn't resist myself from a mouth watering discount of 1.85L for a Jan 2013 car. Thanks to nkrishnap and KarthikK for assisting me through this transaction including the PDI part. I have done the booking and will need to arrange the funds to take the delivery. The ODO is at 113.
Just the logical upgrade. You have made a right choice. ☺

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 24th January 2014 at 19:44.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 20:42   #86
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 777
Thanked: 498 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Meanwhile, I have taken a decision on my next car and yes I will be shifting base from Maruti to Fiat. Its Fiat Linea Emotion(Diesel), I just couldn't resist myself from a mouth watering discount of 1.85L for a Jan 2013 car.
So, 8872 goes and you are switching base to Fiat. Congratulation on the new car and I'll have to look out for that Linea now
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 00:24   #87
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 130
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Sad to know about the accident at the same time glad to know that you came out unscathed. Really good to know about the reliability of Dzire (F-I-L own the chota brother - Swift). I am showing all such accident threads to my family for getting them to use a seat belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
For 0% depreciation policy, if the repair cost is more than 40% IDV, then they can declare it as total loss. The other option which they gave was they will approve 1.85L and remaining I will have to pay. Still not finalized on which way to go.
....
If it is a 0 Dep policy, it should be like - whatever is the repair cost, it is borne by the insurer, right (obviously keeping in mind about the IDV)? The reason for me asking this question is, this is my understanding and based on which I forced a good friend of mine to go with this kind of a policy which was costing more to him (obviously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This insurance was taken through Maruti(So called Maruti Insurance), .....
However here is an extract from their website which speaks otherwise(https://www.marutiinsurance.com/why-...insurance.aspx),
....
My F-I-L is a die-hard fan of Swift and when we bought one in Palakkad (our native) very recently, they were also saying the same. You go anywhere in India and it is all as if you are dealing with us. No worry and tension. Even if I was wary of taking it from them, my F-I-L wanted to go with them. I also thought of leaving it to his choice as I wanted him to be comfortable with as it is a car for him (even if I am the sole driver!!!). Later on they also convinced him and sold a package called ISP (Indus Service Pack) exclusive to Indus motors (again valid all over India but at Indus motors). Now I am beginning to be skeptical of all these !!!!
Jakku is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 06:27   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 3,939 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
If it is a 0 Dep policy, it should be like - whatever is the repair cost, it is borne by the insurer, right (obviously keeping in mind about the IDV)? The reason for me asking this question is, this is my understanding and based on which I forced a good friend of mine to go with this kind of a policy which was costing more to him (obviously).

My F-I-L is a die-hard fan of Swift and when we bought one in Palakkad (our native) very recently, they were also saying the same. You go anywhere in India and it is all as if you are dealing with us. No worry and tension. Even if I was wary of taking it from them, my F-I-L wanted to go with them. I also thought of leaving it to his choice as I wanted him to be comfortable with as it is a car for him (even if I am the sole driver!!!). Later on they also convinced him and sold a package called ISP (Indus Service Pack) exclusive to Indus motors (again valid all over India but at Indus motors). Now I am beginning to be skeptical of all these !!!!
Yes, zero depreciation policy is supposed to cover all the repair cost - Rs. 1000(i think).
But in my scenario, maruti was not helpful at all, I had to directly connect with the royal sundaram guys.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 06:54   #89
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,586
Thanked: 4,291 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, zero depreciation policy is supposed to cover all the repair cost - Rs. 1000(i think).
But in my scenario, maruti was not helpful at all, I had to directly connect with the royal sundaram guys.
Pratham motors recently approached me with an offer for 'Maruti Insurance' - they said they don't offer Royal Sundaram policies anymore, now they only offer policies from Bajaj Allianz and New India Assurance.
Maybe the RS relationship has not gone well, don't know. But I was not very comfortable with the Maruti insurance (exactly the concern that you actually faced in reality - if there is a claim, Maruti will not get involved) so just stuck to United India and had my policy renewed.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 23:14   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 3,939 Times
Default re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Update on the insurance:
I have received 3.2L from the buyer, he is from Shivaji Nager Bangalore. It may take another week for Royal Sundaram to release the 1.85L balance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Maybe the RS relationship has not gone well, don't know. But I was not very comfortable with the Maruti insurance (exactly the concern that you actually faced in reality - if there is a claim, Maruti will not get involved) so just stuck to United India and had my policy renewed.
Yes, looks like RS-Maruti relationship is not in a good shape.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Suzuki Swift and Dzire L and V variants get optional ABS and airbags Aditya The Indian Car Scene 53 7th December 2015 18:05
NHAI identifies 325 accident prone spots across India! mayuresh Street Experiences 10 5th November 2012 11:19
Cash Reward Scheme of NHAI - For reporting corruption in NHAI rameshnanda The Indian Car Scene 0 2nd January 2012 15:57
Tata Indica Vista Aura ABS (EDIT: Now it is Aura Plus with ABS and Airbags) akhilesh51 The Indian Car Scene 141 28th September 2010 20:11
Airbags, climate control, Seatbelts, ICE ... for whom? greenhorn Street Experiences 20 9th April 2010 10:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks