Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th January 2014, 14:33   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Kite manja: The thin line of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
I am at the end of my wits with what's going on in this forum.
Don't get me wrong (especially the mods!) Does that mean we ban a festival? A completely logical question: you ride a bike, you meet with an accident, you die. Should we ban motorcycles? No. You take precautions.
P.S. - I will fly kites, come what may.
Well I would like to get into this for one last time since could not resist from giving my view of differentiaton of accident and an act of negligence.

by definition- accident happens by pure randomness and due to uncontrolled factors (tyre burst/sudden brake fail/skids due to slippery roads- fresh oil spill etc)
None of ride a vehicle with the intention or hope of eagerly getting into an accident/collision. More over all of us drive carefully (atleast all TBHP members) and ensure we are not cause of an accident.

You can and ofcourse freely fly a kite but then why leave the kite with the manja on the road (will you ride your car/bike without brakes) or drive with the front windscreen covered with color paper. If your kite is cut loose then you will have to ensure that you dispose the kite properly and not just leave it to kill/maim someone else.

Coming to Baraat- these are congregative events and the baraati vehicle travels at less than 10kph and cannot cause accident(traffic jam yes) but it is not going to kill/maim anyone but going to delay your journey time.

Dahi Handi- the event is based on wilful participation and accidents that happen are restricted to people participating in the event (if you area bystander then please note you are also a wilful participant)

Sorry to see that people do not differentiate between an accident and an act of negligence.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 14:55   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nobody wants to ban kites. ... ... ...Just like all these things. Kite flying is also a tradition which needs to evolve.
Exactly. Just as there would be fewer bike deaths if more bikers learned to drive properly (Oh please save me from these "we might as well ban ...everything" arguments which have nothing but emotional appeal. I shall be at my wit's end soon! ) there can be zero deaths/injury from kite flying.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 15:20   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post

Don't get me wrong (especially the mods!) and how many times should I repeat myself. I feel sorry for all those who got hurt due to this. My own real brother cut his upper lip last year. Does that mean we ban a festival? A completely logical question: you ride a bike, you meet with an accident, you die. Should we ban motorcycles? No. You take precautions. That is exactly I had written in my first post on page 3, which was highly misunderstood by the extremely learned members of this forum. When people fly kites, you take precautions and travel accordingly so that you can be saved from a mishap.

I believe in having a positive and constructive dialogue;

P.S. - I will fly kites, come what may.
I am assuming that you brother was not a rider at the point of the incident. Could you let us know how we can be constructive and take precautions while we are pedestrians or rider or simply standing on your terrace?
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 15:48   #64
Team-BHP Support

I am fine with the suggestion that outright bans are not a solution and that due precautions need to be taken instead. But the onus of said precautions needs to be on the perpetrators and not the victims.

A person riding a two wheeler can take reasonable precautions against foreseeable hazards. All the gear all the time and all that. But to expect a rider to defend himself against kites is a little silly. Most years I don't even realize when kite season is on.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 16:39   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I am fine with the suggestion that outright bans are not a solution and that due precautions need to be taken instead. But the onus of said precautions needs to be on the perpetrators and not the victims.
Absolutely. There is a limit to how much one can be cautious while riding or walking on the road. Mishaps occur even while one is extremely careful in any situation and hence, we need to ensure that people flying kites should also adhere to certain norms, resulting in lesser number and severity of injuries. Resorting to a ban is not the ideal solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I am assuming that you brother was not a rider at the point of the incident. Could you let us know how we can be constructive and take precautions while we are pedestrians or rider or simply standing on your terrace?
My brother was talking to a friend who was on his bike, by my brother's side. They were having a chat and as my brother had no plans of getting on the bike, wasn't wearing a helmet (nor was his friend). Just then a 'manja', which was being pulled briskly after the kite it was attached to was severed, fell on his head. He tried to move away from it but the manja ended up on his lips, making an inch-long and deep cut.

Precautions that could have been taken by the flyer - manja not embellished with glass particles or other harmful substances.
Precautions that could have been taken by my brother and his friend - if they were to stand and talk, why not do it under a roof or a tree? You need to do this only for a day or two in a year, right?

I have been cut numerous times on my fingers, not entirely due to bad manja, but also due to the very nature of this sport. A heavy kite sailing in heavy wind can do much more damage to your fingers than you can probably imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nobody wants to ban kites.
Just like all these things. Kite flying is also a tradition which needs to evolve.
A very reasonable post with points that are good, compelling and not extreme. Thanks for showing that conversations can be had without labeling fellow forum members as callous and insensitive.
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote