Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Can SUVs Have A Bullying Effect On Smaller Cars?
Definitely Yes. Size Matters! 109 33.33%
No. It's Just The Imagination Of SUV Owners. 46 14.07%
Depends On The Size/Type Of SUV & Aggressiveness Of Driver 172 52.60%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th February 2014, 20:16   #136
BHPian

Default Re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

This is more of a myth i believe. Its not always the SUVs. There are many instances where in i have seen car drivers being very rash and bullying SUVs. Its the character of the drivers and not the vehicle that usually matters.

I finished a 1700km road trip just today and i saw well mannered truck drivers and bullying Indica taxis. In fact, i have seen more bullying Indica taxis than bullying SUVs. They drive like they have nothing to lose.

So its not the size of the vehicle. Its the cost of the vehicle and the attitude of the drivers that matters.
sharc_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 17:21   #137
BHPian

I think it's partially true. I used to drive a Ford Ikon, and then an Innova. I find that in regular Bangalore traffic, it is easier to drive the Innova, because generally auto-drivers will not come too close. On the Ikon, or other sedans/hatches, the autos would come in so close to the sides of the car that is is really difficult to maneuver. But on the Innova, they keep a slightly safer distance. I think it could be because of the height of the car, it gives the auto driver a clearer judgement of how far he should stay :-) On the other hand, bikes, BMTC buses, private buses, and even some rash idiots in Altos/800's also keep bullying. But since at least some people are keeping their distance, driving is a bit easier. I can assume that this effect is more pronounced for Scorpios. Perhaps for them only the BMTC buses continue to bully.
floyd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 17:47   #138
JLS
BHPian

My observation regarding city traffic is that whichever vehicle has least issues with getting bruised/scratched bully other vehicles.
Examples
- A puny auto rickshaw will venture daringly without any worry and a brand new Innova will shy away from him(more so if it a personal vehicle).

- Taxi cab Indicas will always bully everybody else because they are so bruised and scratched - an additional small dent will not metter anything to them

- Same with Boleros and 'Toophan' maxis ferrying loads of passengers - their body is probably designed intentionally in such a boxy way with sharp corners, it will always give a scare of a deep scratch to a nice plump car.

So, my take is bullying is based on vehicle's capability to take dents and bruises and scratches.
Of course, on highways it is a different situation altogether.

Regards,
JLS
JLS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 17:58   #139
BHPian

Yeah, after shifting to the Ford Classic from the Qualis a month ago I really feel the difference in the way I'm perceived by other drivers. As I mentioned earlier here, I was not an aggressive Qualis driver but did notice that other vehicles would actually notice me and not get in my way unnecessarily. However, the Classic seems to be totally invisible to others, whether they are sedans, bikes or SUVs. It really takes some getting used to, and is a whole new experience. But I'm getting the hang of it.
Cheers
FarPatel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 14:11   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
My observation regarding city traffic is that whichever vehicle has least issues with getting bruised/scratched bully other vehicles.
Examples
- A puny auto rickshaw will venture daringly without any worry and a brand new Innova will shy away from him(more so if it a personal vehicle).

- Taxi cab Indicas will always bully everybody else because they are so bruised and scratched - an additional small dent will not metter anything to them

- Same with Boleros and 'Toophan' maxis ferrying loads of passengers - their body is probably designed intentionally in such a boxy way with sharp corners, it will always give a scare of a deep scratch to a nice plump car.

So, my take is bullying is based on vehicle's capability to take dents and bruises and scratches.
Of course, on highways it is a different situation altogether.

Regards,
JLS

Completely agree. I commute daily between Delhi (dwarka) and Gurgaon. Till recently, one had to navigate through the Delhi Gurgaon toll plaza. This is where I experienced what JLS mentions. Large busses, followed by cabs (all size, specially Indica) would simply cut across lanes with total disdain for fellow commuters. While I recently graduated to Fortuner AT, I didn't see much of difference in being able to avoid being bullied by these nuts. At the end, it goes to are you crazy enough to hit someone or get your vehicle damaged. If you are a safe driver - you have had it. But there is no flip side in being a safe driver
Traveller Nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 00:02   #141
BHPian

Firstly, let's understand that roads are for everyone including the cyclists.

Secondly, this misplaced feeling of might and power is ingrained in us Indians so much that we associate big cars with the same. As some members have said, it's the temperament of the driver which makes a difference.

I for one, never quantify my driving with respect to the vehicle i am in..rather it's the road and traffic condition which dictates my coexistence with the fellow vehicles.
nda992 is offline   Reply With Quote