Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Can SUVs Have A Bullying Effect On Smaller Cars?
Definitely Yes. Size Matters! 109 33.33%
No. It's Just The Imagination Of SUV Owners. 46 14.07%
Depends On The Size/Type Of SUV & Aggressiveness Of Driver 172 52.60%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th January 2014, 20:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's also more to do with the vehicle you are travelling in.

I drive a Swift and some SUVs (eg: Fortuner) does intimidate me. That's when you can see ONLY the grills / headlights in your IRVM and NOTHING else. If I can see the driver in the vehicle behind thru my IRVM, that doesn't scare me much.

I generally give way to any vehicle which is faster than me, and can be faster than mine (acceleration). So naturally, I give way to Safari / Scorpio usually. But I don't think I'll give way to a Duster / Ecosport unless they are really faster than me or if they try to bully me and all!
Dusters and ecosports are actually much faster than scorpios and safaris. In fact the latter are even slower than your swift.
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 20:52   #17
BHPian

I drive an SUV and have driven a hatch for more number of years than an SUV and I do not notice much difference in the response of other drivers.

In the cities, if you drive SUV, you are actually at some kind of disadvantage as two wheelers and small cars take it for granted that you are a slow mover and try to overtake around you, which they would not have possible done if you were driving a smaller vehicle.

In fact I do see a pattern regarding which vehicles overtake me the most (I am a moderate driver, neither too sedate nor do I race with anyone).

These observations are long term and remained the same when I was driving a hatch and now when I drive an SUV. Also, these have more or less been the same in the city as well as the highway.

1. Among small cars, if a vehicle has overtaken me, most often I have found it to be a Swift (small).

2. Among large cars, if a vehicle has overtaken me, it has usually been Innova driven by a driver.

I have been thinking of asking this question in team bhp, whether you find a pattern among the vehicles that overtake you most often. May be this thread is a good place for that.

Last edited by mayuresh : 25th January 2014 at 20:55.
mayuresh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 20:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think it's more to do with how they're driven.

Politicians and the movies have epitomized the whole SUV=white color, black tints, tons of halogen lamps=bullying stigma.

The moment I see one which is approaching me at a high speed and is honking/flashing repeatedly, that's my cue to get out of his way!

But I wouldn't give way as a habit just because it's a SUV.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 21:05   #19

I guess it 's less the size and more the aggressiveness with which the vehicle is being driven that matters more to me. I'd rather give way to a vehicle (big or small) than pick an argument or even worse get hit from behind, even by mistake.

On a lighter note, I once saw someone advise about driving in Qatar that if you see a landcruiser in your RVM, you are already in the wrong lane, change lanes asap.
ynot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 21:49   #20
BHPian

If we are talking about India and Russia then its a Reality and not a Myth!
(please see the tons of youtube videos on road and traffic for sheer entertainment and shock)

I am sad to say this but this is the reality. Where we see Might is right and not "Right" is right, not only on the road but in our day to day lives.
The one with the bigger stick gets the buffalo (poorly translated old age saying!)
There are always exceptions but in general this hold true for most cases.

Dont agree that SUV or big vehicles get respect (they may get the road but also lots of curses if its rashly driven with disregards to everyone around) its only a misplaced feeling.
It is common sense that in the game of chicken or cat and mouse, the smaller one will end up losing more in case of a crash. A hatch will suffer more from an SUV, the SUV from the truck/bus, truck from a train, etc and so on.
Though the wiser driver will always give the way to an idiot (holds true for all drivers irrespective of the vehicle)
I have certainly experienced vehicles give way without honking, become more adjusting in a narrow lane, or letting me pass at an intersection.(which I am dead sure would not have been the case if I had been in my hatchback)

Before people pounce on me, let me clear out I am not a rash driver or a bully on the road just because i have a bigger vehicle. I purchased the SUV to avoid being bullied/run off the road, suppress road rage from me and others, make safer highway travels, and it seems to be working fine till now.

Having seen both sides of the spectrum(a hatchback and SUV), driving the SUV has definitely changed my road experience:-

1. I have become more calm after driving the bigger vehicle. I slow down more often and give way to cars joining, taking U turn or crossing (compared to the Figo where I would unnecessarily block, speed up and so on)
2. I now park more responsibly and give ample space all around
(compared to Figo where due to its small size I used to plug it in any space i could find without bothering for clearance)
3. I now have almost stopped using horns and Lights flashing due to lesser people cutting me off and letting the faster vehicle pass
(compared to the Figo where I literally had to let others know I was there)
4. I have started relaxing at signals due to lesser Red-turn-Green light impatient honking syndrom (earlier I was always focusing on when lights would turn green to avoid honks.Ignoring such honks helps but end of the day it still gets on your nerves)

Bottomline is I have started enjoying drives more as I get less stressed out.

Last edited by racer_m : 25th January 2014 at 21:57.
racer_m is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 21:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If you are an SUV owner, do you really see people making way for you? If you sneak up behind a guy driving an Alto, does he really go out of his way to make way for you? If you are approaching an intersection, do cars ALWAYS wait for you to pass?

If you are a car owner, do you go to the left hand side of the road as soon as you to see a Safari or a Fortuner in your rear view mirror? More importantly, do you do the same thing if you see a Maruti 800 instead?
I never bother about the size of the vehicle behind me. Be it a tempo, a Safari with a beacon or Innova/Grande cabbie intimidating me by dipping and tailgaiting except Bikes.

The only right of passage is when my speed is low for the lane or there is a huge gap between me and the vehicle ahead in my lane. Taxi drivers think they can come close and scare the day-lights out of me because I drive a puny beat but that's hardly ever the case. If he hits me he'll incur damage too, not only of his vehicle but will also pay for mine. It might not be the right or the safest thing to do but I don't like being treated as a pushover except for bikers, I fear for my side view mirror because they can easily get away.

I *never* intrude in the lane of a cop car(flashing lights) or any other emergency vehicle even if they're slower than the vehicle ahead of them. I give way depending upon the urgency or the skill. If there is L sticker on a car and there is enough space to cut through I like to move a little further ahead and get onto the right most lane so as to not create panic for the learner.

I give way to bikes..(if on the left most lane) and leave enough space for them on the left hand side. The only vehicles which intimidate me are bikes. I will honestly admit I am scared of bikers.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 22:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off topic, I have observed innovas especially on highways being driven at really high speeds. Not to mention the flashing and honking while tailgating you. I have observed this many times on different highways. Does innova give such confidence to the driver that he can do such antics or what is it?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 23:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly off topic, I have observed innovas especially on highways being driven at really high speeds. Not to mention the flashing and honking while tailgating you. I have observed this many times on different highways. Does innova give such confidence to the driver that he can do such antics or what is it?]
No, I think it depends from person to person. The drivers of innova cars that are being used as Taxi's often indulge in such indecent and intimidating behaviour. You and me would always love to drive peacefully enjoying our ride. Innova is not a very confidence inspiring car, though it's handling is great.

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th January 2014 at 18:48. Reason: Fixing quote tag
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 10:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

The sheer size of some 'real' SUVs can act like an intimidation to a smaller/lower slung car. I don't for once believe that a EcoSport or a Duster can bully anyone, its only in the owner's imagination that they do so.
My firm belief is that to bully anyone on the road, is equal to bullying people on the street, either case it is not cool. Yes most of the folks on the road, give way when I drive my Safari compared to driving an Alto or my Bullet. But having said so, when I am in the Alto clipping away at high speeds on the expressway, most of the people make way for me, so it goes to show people are more sensible than we credit them to be.

The only perception of power is for the SUV driver, especially sitting high up and peering at all rooftops below from a Safari, and if he/she can't get over this immaturity and goes to bully people, sorry that person is a boorish bully otherwise too, maybe 2 tons of metal give him/her an armored jacket to act smart, once out of the car, they are the meek humans that they actually are!!!

Yes people do make way for my Safari, especially when changing lanes or when taking a U turn, I believe more than the size, it is simply common sense to allow a lumbering giant enough space so that traffic moves, I do that for any bus/truck too. Plus a SUV has enough blind spots and if a smaller vehicle tries to act smart, he might accidentally get crushed.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 26th January 2014 at 10:43.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 11:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think people do give due consideration for the SUVs and following are the possible reasons:
  • Bigger the vehicle you are confronting, more potential damage to you/your vehicle
  • Bigger vehicles are difficult to control and hence better to yield to them ( I myself believe in this)
  • People in SUVs may be aggressive type (
  • People in SUVs may be 'well connected type' (with money power) and it is not wise to rub them the wrong way
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 11:12   #26
BHPian

I drive an Innova and I have never bullied anyone like this. It all depends on the person who drives the car. On the highways a lot of small cars overtake me and I never take it personally . I maintain my speed limit and stick to my lane.

Honestly , Innova is not very difficult to control , provided you do reasonable speeds , any car would be difficult to control at insane speeds. I am not well connected and I am not aggressive on the road.

On the highways , it is a thumb rule that slower vehicles must keep left and allow all overtaking vehicles on the right . If you are hogging the high speed lane and complain about bigger cars bullying you , whose fault is that ?
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 11:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think the difference is because of the ride height.

I drive a Civic in which I sit low and I am bullied by almost everyone on the road. Even at intersections, if a vehicle is standstill and I am at a relatively higher speed and even though I am flashing, the morons dont wait and I am forced to brake hard. In dense traffic, if I have to take a U-turn or something, inspite of repeated requests by way of flashing, nobody really stops for me!

Things are different when I am in the XUV. Almost 9/10 times, when I flash at an unmanned intersection, I do get the right of way. In dense traffic, since I am sitting high up, I do get a superior view around and I can easily manage to squeeze my car in, if others dont wait. But generally most of the times, a flash is enough to get people to give you way.

P.S.: I dont really bully people in the XUV. I flash and request for right of way. That is generally more than enough.
raj_5004 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 11:31   #28
BHPian

In my highway experiences, the vehicle most bullied me are small cars specially Swift. Innovas comes second and others are far behind in numbers. I used to give way to a speeding swift / dzire any day even though I may overtake them afterwards once I get the chance..!!
RajeshK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 07:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ive been driving SUV type things for ages.
Strangely and probably contrarywise to a lot of people's experiences here, I have many times, actually quietly given way to an aggressively driven smaller car or van or other vehicle.
There are some half-wit drivers who drive their Marutis or Hyundais like they are on the Le Mans 24 hour circuit in Bangalore...I prefer to allow them to pass so that I may continue undisturbed.

SUV drivers do not have the monopoly on Aggressive behaviour. Many regular car drivers do too!
Completely agree. Its the small cars that do all the lane cutting, aggressive driving etc. I have also adopted your policy to let them go. Well sometimes somebody may be in genuine hurry, you never know. Among the SUVs, most XUVs drive rash, many Scorpios do, may be 40%, safaris usually do not drive rash unless they are driven by a driver without the owner, Fortuners - some of them do drive rash but not very common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
In my highway experiences, the vehicle most bullied me are small cars specially Swift. Innovas comes second and others are far behind in numbers. I used to give way to a speeding swift / dzire any day even though I may overtake them afterwards once I get the chance..!!
Agree. Sometimes small cars are driven like they drive in the city, hardly leaving any gap. Its better to let them go. Innova taxis are also driven rash in a similar way.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 08:43   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

If I see a fast vehicle in my rear view mirror, I give way irrespective of whether itís an SUV or a sedan/hatchback. In my experience, our roads are full of aggressive drivers, irrespective of whether they are driving a Fortuner or an Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
When I see ownership reports of new SUV buyers, a significant number of them gleefully claim that everybody gets out of their way when they approach them from behind.
And based on this, some may claim that SUVís claim more respect on road. IMO, theyíre mixing up respect and fear.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote