Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Can SUVs Have A Bullying Effect On Smaller Cars?
Definitely Yes. Size Matters! 109 33.33%
No. It's Just The Imagination Of SUV Owners. 46 14.07%
Depends On The Size/Type Of SUV & Aggressiveness Of Driver 172 52.60%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th January 2014, 09:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

Whenever I spot a KeSRTC bus in the IRVM, I try to make space for it to pass sooner or later. Those are the only creatures I really fear on the road.

If at all they come right at your back, they keep on honking, though they sound puny, till they pass. They overtake anyone without even thinking what might come against them on the right lane, blind corner or not. And suppose some one is approaching from the right lane, they cut in front of you before completing the overtaking. Many a times I had to brake hard or jump off the road, so that now I lift the foot of the accelerator and brush the brake once this behemoth starts overtaking; you just can't be on the left side of a KeSRTC for long while he overtakes.

They are the most carefree drivers on the road, all others are held responsible in some way or the other.

SUVs, no I don't get intimidated by them specially. And besides, speeding or not, hurry or not, I do not mind giving side to anyone, if I've the space ahead on the left. And if I do not have the space, earlier I used to get intimidated on honking from the back. But recently I'm learning to play deaf however hard he honks; and blind to some hands up in the air after he passes.
thoma is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 09:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Another interesting insight by the Mahindra dealer's GM where I used to service my Bolero and Scorpio.

He said most people graduated to these large ponderous diesel powered SUV's from small petrol hatchback cars.

During their transition, very few of these new owners have bothered to understand the behaviour of this new type of vehicle, its proportions, centre of gravity and how to handle the engine, the clutch etc.

He said most of these guys used to bring their vehicles in with dings and dents and paint scrapes etc because they simply could not understand that the bigger vehicle required more space. Just because the Scorpio's steering was super light for the city, did not mean that they could treat it like their erstwhile petrol hatch!

They learned this the hard way, along with other things like how not to ride the clutch etc. Apparently, at the time, a lot of these vehicles would land up within the first 20-25k kms with clutch failure.

Mostly because the drivers or owners were stomping on the clutch and doing those half clutchy sort of maneuvres.

So much so, that in 2008-2009, Mahindra actually withdrew 'clutch replacement' as one of the services covered/rendered under the 'extended warranty'!
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 09:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Voted for #3.

Like so many members have pointed out before me, it's not the vehicle itself, rather the driver. Don't we all prefer to let the mad cabbie squeeze out ahead of us from the left, rather than trying to box him in and hear the incessant honks!

I have not noticed any difference in behaviour from others on the road when driving an SUV. Rather, I feel a lot constrained in one - it just isn't nimble enough to switch lanes and plug the gaps like, say, an Alto. While starting from a signal, I can't floor the pedal - 1st gear is too short and as soon as I get to the sweet spot . . . . next signal! Sigh!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 09:59   #34
BHPian

Sorry to say, What I see in this thread is the EGO of different people on the road and lack of awareness about the traffic rules in India. Some people say I will not give way to any vehicle and some say depends on the size and speed.

Have you ever thought on which lane are you driving? As per the Indian traffic rules, only through the right lane one can overtake. Now read through the posts one by one, If you see you are moving in the right lane blocking the other vehicle from over taking (irrespective of the vehicle), what are you expecting from the other vehicle to do other than honking / flashing the lights? If you are on the left lane no need to listen to those, stick to the speed permitted, no need to increase the speed for the other vehicle as he/she can overtake from right. Also, there is a misconception to relate speed to aggressiveness or rash driving.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 27th January 2014 at 10:22.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 10:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

I follow a simple rule on the roads: big vehicles, battered vehicles and crazy drivers are always right.

As a SUV driver, I do notice that people are more respectful of a SUV. I see the difference when I drive my SX4 once in a while - I get better responsiveness when I am in my Fortuner. A shiny sedan/hatch has the worst of both worlds. A battered hatch - Indica, say - since I used to have a battle scarred Indica - can be driven aggressively, and people will give way.

It does make sense to give way to an impatient or rashly driven SUV (or any big vehicle) that is tailgating. Any driver error will lead to more serious consequences for the vehicle ahead. If I were driving the SX4, and if an Alto bangs into me at 30kmph vs a 2 ton SUV bangs into me at the same speed, the results would be different. Simple physics. Besides, SUVs (or buses/trucks) have inferior brakes and worse handling - no point in having ego battles at the cost of one's safety.

The onus is also on slow moving vehicles to drive properly. I do quite a few highway runs, and do hate it when slower vehicles clog up the fast lane or drive in the middle of the road slowly. One has to flash and honk at times.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 27th January 2014 at 10:43.
nilanjanray is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 11:04   #36
BHPian

For personal vehicles, it all depends on the mindset of the driver. If he/she is a person whose self-image is entangled with what they are driving, then there is a higher chance of seeing bullying-type behavior behind the wheel. People who are secure enough individuals to not need reassurance from the size/value/brand of vehicle they drive will tend to not step on the 'ego-boost' irrespective of what they are driving, mini-bike or Pajero!

For commercial vehicles, the crazy timelines these guys have to make usually determines the idiotic way they drive. Not that it justifies the dangerous driving style.

Finally, check out a convoy of Army trucks on the highway. Those guys can claim absolute right of way- because of size, numbers, or just plain 'on national duty'. But they are very disciplined, maintaining their lane, signalling well in advance and maintaining the distance between each truck.

Last edited by am1m : 27th January 2014 at 11:06.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 11:36   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
A battered hatch - Indica, say - since I used to have a battle scarred Indica - can be driven aggressively, and people will give way.
Oh yes! Even at the wheel of an SUV, I am more than happy to give way to crazy taxi drivers in their battered and dented Indicas. If any particular vehicle manages to bully other road users, the battered Indica is it!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 11:47   #38
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Yes, definitely SUV does have that advantage. Be it lane changing or overtaking presence does matter. I have personally experienced this difference on my vRS and Safari.
v&v is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 14:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Sorry to say, What I see in this thread is the EGO of different people on the road and lack of awareness about the traffic rules in India.
Have you ever thought on which lane are you driving? As per the Indian traffic rules, only through the right lane one can overtake. /she can overtake from right. Also, there is a misconception to relate speed to aggressiveness or rash driving.

Agreed that the right lane is the fast lane and meant for overtaking.
Also agreed that when slow vehicles hog the right lane it can be very frustrating.

Additionally, in Bangalore, irrespective of whichever lane you may be habitually using, you will note that most roads have only two real lanes, but which get carved up into 4 and sometimes even 8 lanes, then you will certainly be encountering some lovely, sharp, lateral trenches, broken road surfaces, waterlogged portions, open man hole covers as well as super sized man hole covers which stick up like plateaux or mesas from the road surface, and last but not least, those lovely sharp edged ginormous potholes, which seem to never really go away. They will simply recede for a while during elections and then get back with a vengeance the moment there is a slight drizzle.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 14:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I fear anything that is being driven rashly. In today's Delhi, the possible winners for this dubious distinction range from the low floor DTC buses, to battered or not taxis, to carelessly weaving motorcylists/scooterists.

On the contrary, I have seen more discipline amongst SUV drivers - it may have something to do with costly repairs for hasty mistakes
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 14:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

In Kolkata, its the Amby taxi that rules. The only advantage of being in an SUV is probably being in a less stressful situation as you have visibility all around over the tops of other cars, thats all. But I guess, I make a much faster commute on my low-slung sedan.

Oh! My SUV is a 4wd Scorpio, and most of the time I spend worrying that none of the other road users, should brush with my autolocking front hubs. So everything, from Auto's to motorcyclists end up intimidating my SUV. Hence when it moves in chock a block city traffic, it looks like an elephant that is afraid of rats.

Last edited by 1100D : 27th January 2014 at 14:53.
1100D is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 15:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Agreed that the right lane is the fast lane and meant for overtaking.
Also agreed that when slow vehicles hog the right lane it can be very frustrating.

Additionally, in Bangalore, irrespective of whichever lane you may be habitually using, you will note that most roads have only two real lanes, but which get carved up into 4 and sometimes even 8 lanes, then you will certainly be encountering some lovely, sharp, lateral trenches, broken road surfaces, waterlogged portions, open man hole covers as well as super sized man hole covers which stick up like plateaux or mesas from the road surface, and last but not least, those lovely sharp edged ginormous potholes, which seem to never really go away.
OT rant, couldn't resist:

I was shocked with Bangalore traffic once I moved here from Mumbai. Especially with heavy vehicles moving on the right side of the road, and every Tom/Dick et al overtaking from the left. When I protested initially, I was surprised to see people had no clue why I was upset with their driving style.

No offense to Bangaloreans, but latent 'sons of the soil' insecurity/xenophobia (if one doesn't speak the local language) and the city suddenly becoming too big too fast makes trying to make someone understand what they might be doing wrong a futile exercise.

I don't know why I pay the highest/one of the highest road taxes in the country for such crappy roads and on-road behaviour.

Bangalore is still better than Kolkata though, I have long given up on that city.

Being a bit more assertive regarding my point of view now: SUVs get more respect, fact. Can't be denied. It is like a 6.2 guy getting more attention from ladies than 5.2 guy (all other factors being equal). Have seen this too many times in many parts of India, especially on lesser traveled or 2 lane/single lane roads. SUV especially helps a lot in the badlands of our country, and while driving in the night. People are less likely to take 'panga'.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 27th January 2014 at 15:40.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 16:38   #43
BHPian

Default Re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

Its all Myth that being on SUV can bully others. If its a Bus or Lorry people do give way. Honking and beaming headlights is done by everyone from small cars to SUV. So its all dependent on who is driving behind these cars and their temper.

Coming on SUV trying to make way can annoy some people and they might actually block your way. Reaction will be, "Hit me if you dare", and most don't dare to do it, else they should be ready to spend lot of time in police station and courts.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 16:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Its all Myth that being on SUV can bully others. If its a Bus or Lorry people do give way. Honking and beaming headlights is done by everyone from small cars to SUV. So its all dependent on who is driving behind these cars and their temper.
Seriously! Yesterday completed a 670km drive across our state and trust me the only vehicle that bullied my 2.5 ton SUV was a Tata Nano, I had to let it pass by and apart from the flashing its headlights (which were too powerful for its size) it also intimidated my hapless Scorpio with a growling sound while overtaking.
1100D is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 16:59   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I was shocked with Bangalore traffic once I moved here from Mumbai.
I'll have to pick up that grenade and lob it right back at you!

Bangalore drivers will be scared out of their wits if they attempt to drive in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Seriously! Yesterday completed a 670km drive across our state and trust me the only vehicle that bullied my 2.5 ton SUV was a Tata Nano, I had to let it pass by and apart from the flashing its headlights (which were too powerful for its size) it also intimidated my hapless Scorpio with a growling sound while overtaking.
That would've been quite a sight - Jerry mouse giving a chase to Tom cat
smartcat is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote