Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Can SUVs Have A Bullying Effect On Smaller Cars?
Definitely Yes. Size Matters! 109 33.33%
No. It's Just The Imagination Of SUV Owners. 46 14.07%
Depends On The Size/Type Of SUV & Aggressiveness Of Driver 172 52.60%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th January 2014, 16:59   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Seriously! Yesterday completed a 670km drive across our state and trust me the only vehicle that bullied my 2.5 ton SUV was a Tata Nano, I had to let it pass by and apart from the flashing its headlights (which were too powerful for its size) it also intimidated my hapless Scorpio with a growling sound while overtaking.
Every bully has his Achilles' heel, and the Nano knew about it - so he targeted your ALH, which made Marengo cringe?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 17:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Every bully has his Achilles' heel, and the Nano knew about it - so he targeted your ALH, which made Marengo cringe?
There is another initimidating aspect about Nano's following you. If you brake hard for some reason, the wheels of the Nano might stop but the overall car would have the tendency of cartwheeling onto your vehicle. So if its a Nano behind you, please be worried!

Another aspect of Nano to be worried about, if you trouble it too much from its behind. It might just stop and hold you up, or worse still, It might self ignite.

Sorry for going slightly OT, but I guess we are discussing road bully's here. Nano is definitely a big contender.

But I guess the morale of the thread is clear. Its not the car that acts as a bully, it has to be the driver.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 17:27   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

It appears bigger, it is approaching your tail faster than you thought and now covering the IRVM fully,inches closer to your rear bumper and then begins to honk frantically – Irrespective of the urgency, this is surely bullying when that vehicle could have gradually slowed down, flashed lights once or twice or honked gently to be given way to overtake. For a driver who’s considerably slower in comparison to this bullying vehicle, any quick maneuver is disastrous - Even moving left thinking its the right thing to do at such speeds can be fatal.

Same is the case when you are negotiating an intersection and a vehicle approaches you at right angle – A longer engine bay, longer vehicle,those bull bars and fog lamps and visibly bigger looking wheels from the sides will surely make you think of the consequences in case this collides with your car even at 10 kmph. If the same bigger vehicle is a Bus, you may perhaps Yield way and then pass too! Probably the SUV may also let the Bus Pass!!

So in reality, an SUV or a bigger vehicle almost puts you at the receiving end many times. A Sedan or a Hatch may not appear monstrous in your IRVM like an SUV or a B7R would do. Secondly, the fact that you make a prior assessment on the consequences in terms of damages if that vehicle bangs you are good enough reasons for you to simply give way to bigger vehicles - SUVs in this case.

SUV & bullying:
  • Out of 10 SUVs we come across on road in a fraction of time, how many of them can we rate as gentlemanly or at least better behaved? I am sure we all know the answer!
  • Follow an SUV on a highway for less than 10 minutes and you would be in a better position to make a judgment on whether you will be given way (and not bullied later) or he’ll speed up as soon as you try to overtake.
  • An SUV on a highway driven sanely at moderate speeds, no quick lane changes, not always on high beams when following someone are good hints indicating a positive trait from the driver behind its wheel.
  • An SUV with too many political stickers, tint glasses, beams adjusted to find stars on the sky than focus on the median are clear hints on who the owner is.

I mostly (as much as possible) stick to the left lane and always allow someone to overtake me from the fast lane.In cases where I am on the fast lane during an overtaking maneuver and someone honks at me to overtake, I speed up a bit and slowly start moving to the left lane making my intent clear rather than hold him up there to teach him a lesson like we see many do.

Its funny that I mention here but I also assess the “Personality” of the driver behind the wheel in my IRVM – looking like a driver, folded ORVMs, No seat belts, vermillion on the forehead, usually white shirts, yapping on the mobile phone, looking too much at the co-passenger (than the road ahead) making hand gestures and having a conversation etc – I simply give way to these bunch of jokers.

One thing that I never do is – Make an eye contact or tilt my head to see who it is driven by. You are drafting an invitation here then.

However, I also encounter extremely nicer gentleman drivers of SUVs and at times enjoy driving along with them during highway runs- SUVs with stickers from Travel forums, neatly stacked luggage, belted driver and co-passengers, OEM Tail and Brake lamps, No custom wide mud-flaps etc.

So it’s not about the SUV, its more about who is driving the SUV. Bigger vehicle with rough manners then gets classified as bullying SUVs and unfortunately that trend has set in!

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th January 2014 at 17:31.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 17:56   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It appears bigger, it is approaching your tail faster than you thought and now covering the IRVM fully,inches closer to your rear bumper and then begins to honk frantically – Irrespective of the urgency, this is surely bullying...
I get bullied by cabbies doing that in Indicas/Indigos/whatever else that they're driving - irrespective of what car (hatch or SUV) I'm driving!

Quote:
Out of 10 SUVs we come across on road in a fraction of time, how many of them can we rate as gentlemanly or at least better behaved? I am sure we all know the answer!
9 out of 10 SUVs I come across - even when driving my Swift - are well behaved.
Quote:
  • An SUV with too many political stickers, tint glasses, beams adjusted to find stars on the sky than focus on the median are clear hints on who the owner is.
And that's how SUVs have fallen into disrepute.

Quote:
...the “Personality” of the driver behind the wheel in my IRVM – looking like a driver, folded ORVMs, No seat belts, vermillion on the forehead, usually white shirts, yapping on the mobile phone, looking too much at the co-passenger (than the road ahead) making hand gestures and having a conversation etc – I simply give way to these bunch of jokers.
...whatever car they might be driving, best to avoid confrontations with their ilk!
Quote:
So it’s not about the SUV, its more about who is driving the SUV. Bigger vehicle with rough manners then gets classified as bullying SUVs and unfortunately that trend has set in!
Thanks - that's the truth. If, while driving an SUV, the disrepute of the vehicle precedes it, and it offers me a slightly smoother drive, then so be it.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 18:11   #50
BHPian

I usually give way for genuine SUV's who dont bully. But when i see a rash SUV i make it a point to not give way. I once made an celebrity's hummer follow me for nearly 2 kms inspite of him honking continuously. Being a celebrity doesnt make him the king of the road. BTW i own a EON
igybeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 18:12   #51
BHPian

Depends on who vs who rather what vs what! The perception of SUV's being bully depends on what kind of a person is driving.

I can say i'd rather be a bully when I drive the vRS rather than be one when am at the wheels of the Grand Vitara. Some time back while on way back from Golfshire in Devnahalli, saw a T Fort guy who was ruling the roads doing high speeds and honking like a maniac. I found the roads less dense than usual and overtook him. Hurt his ego, Yes Sir... he was not able to catch up and finally gave up chase!
aditbelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 18:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

I guess the Poll could have been "which vehicle bullies most" - Starting from Santro-Eon-I10's through to Bolero's and Fortuner's. (trust me, I have been mindlessly bullied more by Santros and I10s and Altos on smaller roads where I would be driving more cautiously, than any vehicle on highways). It is not the size, it is the madness (I won't call aggressiveness to be soft) of the lunatic behind the wheel. I always give way to anybody who bullies from behind, to have peace of mind for me.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 19:21   #53
BHPian

slightly OT , but I believe the biggest bullies on the road (esp highway) are :
a) any car carrying a flag on the bonnet stick - can be anything from an indica to a landcruiser
b) interstate buses (esp volvos) with additional "i want it to be daylight" aftermarket fog lamps, switched on along with every available factory fitted bulb in the front.
c) empty lorries returning for the next pickup - mostly sand lorries
venkyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 19:40   #54

I drive a Fortuner, a Yeti and a 328i.

My experience on the highway and in traffic with these cars is vastly different - irrespective of how aggressively or sedately i'm driving at the time.

In the city: In the Fortuner, I find almost all traffic on the road is bit more careful and alert around my car. In Yeti, less so and when in the 328i I end up having to yield to absolutely everything on the road - its like I dont exist at all.

On the Highway: I find most folks yield when im in the 328i (including buses and other heavy vehicular traffic), not so much with the Fortuner and probably the least with the Yeti.
hyaksha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 20:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
9 out of 10 SUVs I come across - even when driving my Swift - are well behaved.
Even I don't recollect being really bullied by an SUV particularly; of course the driver show their might by racing past. Being bullied is when the one behind can't be patient even for a second. Those are private and KeSRTC buses, 407, Ace, almost all taxis and some nut-heads in any cars who seem to need empty their bowels urgently.

At least, this is the situation in Kerala. Here we do not have flagged politician SUVs.

EDIT: I had a CL500 as a daily drive (out of craze) and have to admit that many small cars and even buses to some extend, give way and keep distance, no I was not trying to bully.

Last edited by thoma : 27th January 2014 at 20:03.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 20:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

I don't go out of my way either to let someone pass or hold them up. I do what's safest for me & my vehicle first. If that means the impatient honker has to wait 5 extra seconds to pass or I have to wait 5 extra seconds to make a move (change lanes, overtake etc.), so be it. The world won't end in 5 seconds.

Edit: I've been bullied on road by all sorts (and conversely treated with respect as well), right from driver in rickety Maruti 800s to Volvo touring buses. It's the nutcase behind the wheel that's the culprit, not the nut-box he/she's driving.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th January 2014 at 20:35.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 21:47   #57
BHPian

I think a fast driver in an Alto is less intimidating that one in a Bus or an SUV. However, I think drivers of more expensive cars tend to be safer, its usually the nuts in cheap bangers/ taxis (Drivers!) who are young and immature and drive rashly in cars they don't own and pose a much greater road threat.

For instance an Indigo driving rashly coming up to me fast is a much bigger unpredictable threat than a big large Q7 which is more likely to be owner/ or well-paid driver driven and typically safer.

So i've just contradicted myself, but a nut in a cheap and dirty looking banged up car is a bigger scare than a well polished burly SUV.
shireeshjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 21:55   #58
BHPian

I for one is very scared of M800 drivers. The reason being I believe most of the M800/Alto are drivers who have just migrated from a motorbike and thus drive the car with scooter or motorbike in mind. ( I mean no offense please, don't take me apart here)

The moment I see a m800 in my rear view, I either scoot from there or just pull over. This is no Joke and I mean it. I really started taking this seriously few years back, when an M800 came out of no where in crawling morning office going traffic and banged into the side of my car.
ajitsank is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 22:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

It is mostly "who" is behind the wheels rather that "what" is that person driving. I have had instances of the APE autos, with their ORVM's turned inside refusing to let me go, or coming close to the bumper when in heavy traffic. I have also found the BMTC volvo busses driving all over me in peak traffic, especially the ones which are contracted out to companies.
dass is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 22:07   #60
BHPian

I dont know what makes anyone scared of a slightly heavier and taller car behind them, you got to know, chances are you could have much better power to weight ratio as well as maneuverability compared to the suv driver which obviously depends on which car you drive as well as the type of SUV behind you. I for one only and only make way for an SUV if its got beacons on top or its got both lights and hazards on. If the SUV is meets none of the criteria above, and continuously honk from behind or tailgate me, In my swift, I just gun it and I mean properly gun it, redline all the way till I see that guy as a tiny blip on the mirror. I have the most fun with the Scorpio guys, who cant take quick turns because they might flip and whose acceleration is so pathetic it makes a chetak look supersonic. I see one of them guys impatient scorpios my mirror, my right foot becomes heavier all of a sudden.
arun_m5 is offline   Reply With Quote