Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Can SUVs Have A Bullying Effect On Smaller Cars?
Definitely Yes. Size Matters! 109 33.33%
No. It's Just The Imagination Of SUV Owners. 46 14.07%
Depends On The Size/Type Of SUV & Aggressiveness Of Driver 172 52.60%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th January 2014, 22:45   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

I believe SUV are mostly used for bullying. No, I am certainly not making a blanket statement, but that is what my observation is in general.

Safari, Scorpio, Fortuner and XUV are the worst. An addition would be Innova, which essentially is a 2WD MPV mounted on SUV platform. Who drives does matter, but I fail to understand why only SUV are most aggressive. In city driving conditions, my Baleno is bullied even by a two wheeler ( "who" will not be at fault in any case ).

Nilanjanray makes a very valid point. Sedan drivers are facing worst of both worlds. Battered Indicabs and other cars preying a well maintained sedan on one hand and on the other hand we have those big car owners who are absolutely rubbish on road.

The worst bulling, i believe, is in form of stickers and going down to any level to win. Moral thinking is getting rarer than fresh air with Ego flying high. A simple overtaking can result into a small drag is what I encounter. One thing in particular : Overtake an SUV and there are very high chances of it again following up on you and overtaking you or accelerating not to let you pass. This behavior indicates "WHO" is driving the SUV. He is a person who does not deserve even a license.

On highways, specially at night, most SUV drivers get crazy. Yet to ascertain why, but it does happen. The higher seating position helps a lot as beams from oncoming traffic wont hit them in the eye unlike sedans and higher ability to plan in advance due to higher visibility matters here. Its utterly unsafe to do 140 in SUV but that is what happens on Indian highways. The safety quotient of other road users also move down by this behavior.

Ending this post with just one question : How many SUVs sold in India actually do what they at intended at ? Very few owners like TSK1979 are there who will take the SUV to explore the land. Rest, end up in city confines to bully others. A very marginal percentage of SUV might be existing which remains disciplined.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 27th January 2014 at 22:50.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:18   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass
It is mostly "who" is behind the wheels rather that "what" is that person driving.
Yes, it is the 'nut' behind the wheel that matters, than the vehicle itself. I gave way to an Indica(b) and a WagonR today, just because it looked like my Baleno will have its sides scraped, if I did not. My reasoning is simple - if the driver behind 'looks' like a lunatic, I give way, even if he is bullying and I have to swallow my ego. Hard truth, but yeah...
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

I give way, not because I am scared of these people; but mainly because of the fact that due to the rash behaviour of these people, my car may get hurt. I feel the Fortuners and Endeavours are some of the most rashly driven vehicles; and it mainly depends on the attitude of the person driving the car.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:34   #64
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2014 at 20:37.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 27th January 2014, 23:45   #65

I drive a Storme and generally get respect on the road though I do not drive rash.

I do think everyone on the Indian Roads is guilty of bullying others in some form or the other. While the SUVs may be the worst (and especially the white Fortuners) in bullying, how many drivers would wait at Zebra crossing to let the people cross or show respect to cyclists on the roads? This is bullying of other legitimate road users. Generally it the case of 'might has the right of way' on our roads. I have driven a lot in the UK and in comparison, there is typically a lot of attitude on Indian Roads and I think most people, whether driving a big or small car want to prove a point. Of course, there would be exceptions but in general the driving is very rash on our roads and that is bullying.

I have found that there is lot of attitude on Indian roads and most drivers (whether driving a SUV or hatch ) are on an ego trip. Generally though it is the case of 'give
abhay_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 00:36   #66
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I own a sedan, Ford New Fiesta and a SUV, Ford Endeavour.

I can tell you for sure that I get a lot more respect on the road, especially in the city, when I drive the Endeavour. Bikes, cars, autos, trucks, other SUVs, etc., give me space, allow me to overtake without the need to flash my light, do not cut in front of me; allow me to take the free left turns by moving away voluntarily; apologise for their mistakes, etc.,. All this does not happen when I drive the Fiesta.

I never bully anybody with my Endeavour. Being an automatic, I tend to drive it with a light foot; with just enough aggression. On the other hand, i drive the Fiesta more aggressively, but I don't attract that kind of respect.

In India, we suffer from the thought process that big true SUV, particularly in white colour with a Fancy number, belongs to a politician or someone related to a politician. Before I forget, I drive a white Endeavour
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 00:49   #67
BHPian

I think it is the image you associate with the vehicle. I along with my friends were discussing the same topic some days back. The conclusion, vehicles we felt were driven by likes of say politicians/goons/superflying kids/taxi we normally give way to these within a single glance while vehicle which we associate with sophisticated customers/literate lot do not intimidate us.

For example (disclaimer- this is purely my opinion about these cars and I dont mean to offend any respective/prospective buyers of these brands)

I have seen loads of scorpio associated with politicians so i normally give way to scorpio's in a single glance. While Yeti owners in my neighborhood are decent so even on highways i don't care much when i see one.

Another one is a Q5/Q7, somehow i have always seen every second Audi SUV driven by a spoilt brat or politician so if I see one in my rearview, i give him a side (to comfort my ego at this point, i say out aloud the famous dialogue of DDLJ " Ja simran jee le apni zindagi" ) and if its a Land Rover i am in a normal comfort mode.

Last edited by kaks15 : 28th January 2014 at 00:51.
kaks15 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 02:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

I drive a Scorpio/Linea and yes i agree,that normal traffic generally tries to stay away from the Scorpio,while in the Linea,its me who is always running for cover.

Also,a Mahindra Thar deserves a special mention in this case,got one about a month back and i am not done with running in yet,so keeping it at speeds close to 80-90 on the highways.The other day i flashed lights to a Santro driver,who signaled me to run over him;i was like seriously? have i done anything wrong?
Also i have seen pedestrians literally jumping away when they notice a Thar(Jeep) doing speeds around 70-80km/hr
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 08:31   #69
BHPian

IMO it really depends on the aggressiveness of the driver and to the size of the SUV as well. While you would not get the same 'give way' response to your duster, the overbearing presence of a Fortuner or Explorer in your rearview mirror especially if the driver wants to tailgate your little car closely is a different proposition all together.

I do generally give way to any car that is faster than me but I must admit that an SUV with bright projector lights does cause me to move out of their way faster.
torque!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 09:47   #70
BHPian

Driving a Santro and Safari storme both on City roads as well as highway, I do agree there is a huge difference in the behavior of other road users for these vehicles. However, the I find street presence of SUV useful only to protect myself from being bullied by reckless drivers (whatever their car) rather than intimidating others.
On the contrary, I always make way for the smaller cars first when I drive safari. If SUVs are big, they should behave compassionately with cars like the elders do in a family with other members. The respect commanded this way is of highest degree.
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 10:21   #71
BHPian

A rashly driven SUV with continuous honking/flashing high beam into my eyes/tailgating my car, find a clear way for themselves from me, even if I have to reduce my speed/go out of the way.
A non SUV with same irrational behavior might have to wait for the side, because I will not go out of the way to given them the side.

A decently driven car (whether SUV or not) will get the normal rational response from me, i.e I will make way for the car if its going at speeds greater than mine & if there is enough space on the road so that I will not have to reduce my speed to allow the car to overtake.

So, I guess RASHLY DRIVEN SUV's do have the bullying effect, as I am scared to damage my sweet nice car because of some fool's bigger vehicle. The damage to my car will be much more severe while the bigger piece of metal will just have its crash guard dented.

One thing I have noticed among my friends & acquaintances is that those people who buy an SUV because of the snob value of a bigger car, more often that not feel that the smaller cars/sedans are road blockers for them. They tend to intimidate the smaller cars/tailgate them/drive irrationally.
And those who buy SUV's for their practicality tend to be a more decent lot driving rationally on road.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 10:40   #72
BHPian

I ride my motorcycle to office daily. And because 90% of the stretch I travel is expressway, I do get terrified by SUVs many times. Heck, even Alto drivers flash and try to scare me!

It's simple really- Might is right! I am sure if a Fortuner/XUV owner sees a Tata 407 or a Tempo Traveler in their RVMs , they will experience this same fear.

And, for some reasons, I always think and believe that a SUV will not stop or steer quickly. Having one in the RVM for more than 1 minute means I could be mowed down if I happen to brake suddenly. So, it adds to the overall 'terror' factor. Sounds idotic but that's what it is.
Shivank is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 10:49   #73
BHPian

Very interesting topic. I voted for 'Depends On The Size/Type Of SUV & Aggressiveness Of Driver'.

We all have seen 'most' of the SUVs driven rashly, I say 'most' as there are quite a few sensible drivers out there as well. Its not the case with bullying anyone as it is with driving rashly and most people simply letting these guys go in order to avoid confrontation. For me its the Fortuners and the Sumo which are the absolute worst at it.
Its the same with lots of bikers driving with utter disrespect to others on the road (and they are surely not even close to the size of a SUV), most drivers let them cross as well. Because most of us simply do not want to either injure anyone or get our cars scratched due to nonsensical reasons.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 11:40   #74
XD2
BHPian

I drive in Delhi/Gurgaon and come by bullying SUVs all the time. Somehow, I make it a point to never yield way to a SUV or any other car racing down in the rear view, honking, flashing, et al. I keep my lane and if the driver persists the annoyance, I start slowing down.. and if it isnt the highway/expressway - i might even come to a standstill for a short moment. I just happen to find the bullying attitude too irksome. Bikers and autos - I treat as an exception - A ding to my car isnt a ding to theirs.

NCR traffic is a nightmare - every fifth driver wants to push you over. I used to drive calm and easy trying to maintain a reasonable distance from the car in front of me. I quickly realized that somehow doesnt work.

I used to drive a Punto, and driving 'calm and easy' meant everybody started pushing you around. With a little more aggressive driving it (which I am not a fan of) I could retain my 'right of way'.

I now drive a Thar. I now drive 'calm and easy'. People no longer bother me anymore. I can keep a safe distance from the car in front. Most don't jut into my lane anymore. And for the occasional freak who does, I don't create a new gap, so I'm tailing him close and he moves out quite rapidly.

So the SUV does have a strong effect in traffic (bullying or otherwise). If you want to drive 'calm and easy' it makes a world of difference.
XD2 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 12:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
In India, we suffer from the thought process that big true SUV, particularly in white colour with a Fancy number, belongs to a politician or someone related to a politician. Before I forget, I drive a white Endeavour
I drive a white Scorpio and the problem is that you find some retards trying to flag your vehicle down for a ride thinking it's a taxi .
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote