Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Can SUVs Have A Bullying Effect On Smaller Cars?
Definitely Yes. Size Matters! 109 33.33%
No. It's Just The Imagination Of SUV Owners. 46 14.07%
Depends On The Size/Type Of SUV & Aggressiveness Of Driver 172 52.60%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th January 2014, 20:03   #91
BHPian

Default Re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

I the Activa rider gives way to Fortuner, I the Brio Driver never does just for sheer size of vehicle or aggressiveness.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 08:38   #92
BHPian

Me personally driving the Scorpio and the Logan have found the SUV is easier to drive since autowallas in chennai normally does not respect any other vehicle but SUV on the road. I have personally experienced this a number of times. Frankly speaking the number of sensible drivers in our cities are quite low in numbers compared to the total number of vehicles seen on the road. Most of the taxi and auto drivers are aggressive unless they find the other vehicle around them to be BIG for them. The SUV has the advantage of higher seating position and thus better road vision too for the driver

Last edited by MuzzledMoose : 29th January 2014 at 08:40.
MuzzledMoose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 08:55   #93
BHPian

I do give way for vehicles which are honking continuously and flashing lights behind me irrespecive of the size of the vehicle. Reason being, most often, the person behind the wheel is too narrow minded to respect anyone else than himself/herself or he/she is in a very unfortunate situation. In either case, it is a waste of time to get in to an argument with them. If the driver belongs to the former categoty, his mentality is going to be absolute rubbish and you will end up in a very nasty situation in the middle of the road which I would prefer to avoid.And if the driver belongs to the latter category, I dont want to be causing further trouble to someone who is already in trouble. Other than that i do not get intimidated by SUV's as such.

Reality: I get intimidated by Autos, teenage bikers and yellow board Indicas, Boy... they are scary
Anand3553 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 09:52   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I the Activa rider gives way to Fortuner, I the Brio Driver never does just for sheer size of vehicle or aggressiveness.
I see these type of comments from quite a few people, so here's my take:

1. Not giving way is fine within the city when speeds are low

2. Not giving way on the highway or at high speeds is endangering your vehicle. Because driver errors happen. And if a heavy vehicle (need not be a SUV) bangs into you or swipes at you because the driver is a bit late in braking, say, or has bad control - the effect could be nasty for the smaller vehicle.

Better not to bring ego into play here.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe that bigger vehicles, crazy drivers, bashed up cars, drunk folks, female drivers applying lipstick/admiring themselves on the mirror when driving, and over confident newbies always have right of the way.

One stretch where I follow this diligently: Sunday evening between Kanakpura and Bangalore. The highway is full of wannabe heroes trying to get back to Bangalore after their weekend trip or water + booze session in Sangam. Even an Alto behaves like a T-Rex. I always give way to anyone who comes too close to me - also because I am somewhat fatigued coming back after a weekend trip from the Nilgiris.
nilanjanray is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 10:01   #95
Senior - BHPian

Great discussion!

Having driven in four countries, including India over last 20 years- If you try to be a good, safe and well behaved driver in India...You will suffer- suffer from stress, dings, bumps & nasty looks from every other driver(irrespective of the car/auto/vehicle size!).

The very reason I have bought my first SUV 14 years back, was to save myself from this 'stress' from every other bloke on the road who wants to pile on your car to get ahead(including a cyclist too!).

I have owned a good sized SUV in US and it is a completely different story there. SUV commands respect on or off road there too, but the driving is sedate with all vehicles.

Off late, the biggest bully cars/vehicles on the road are not SUV's but the auto's and the ace/magic/7 seaters who care a hoot to any other rider on the road. The two wheelers too have become very careless and rash(especially in Hyd) and I am being careful with these riders.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 11:03   #96
BHPian

Have voted for option 2- NO - its just imagination of the SUV owner. I have driven in several small, medium , large cars and UVs / SUVs on all types of roads and have had instances of getting frustrated in each of the car on the road due to traffic or a particular vehicle ahead not giving way on highway, lane cutting by bikers, autos etc. and have felt that it actually doesnt matter so much to others as to which car someone else is in as compared to our own state of mind. Agressiveness is more in the mind of driver than the vehicle. A bigger car with better all round visibility ( eg Safari / Scorpio) gives us more confidence and sense of being in control as compared to smaller cars. However, I have seen several times on my daily commute - a Nano usually being driven hard , agressively and not bothered about trucks, autos or UVs. There are auto and taxi drivers who actually dont care which car / vehicle is behind them and go on about their chores as usual. It is a fact that when we are with our friends/ family - irrespective of the size of the green house we may be driving in, we feel to be cocooned in the space within the car and mostly go on about our way in usual style.

On the highways it is usually the vehicle going faster asking for way through dipper/ horn -that gets the way irrespective of its size unless actually hooligans/ imbecile driver is there in either of them. Trucks / dumpers drivers on twisties usually go deaf and see only ahead - not in their rear view mirrors ( pun intended) - so we have to follow them till they find some space on the side. At nights, better the light, bigger is the car behind perceived it seems - since use of dipper/ pass may be able to allow better assessment of speed of the oncoming vehicle.

Another differentiating factor is false sense of security when travelling in group whether on bike, truck, traxs, boleros, scorpios , cars, etc. tend to make one feel owner of the road/ stretch. And the most apparent aggressiveness is shown by locals in some areas irrespective of the vehicle they may be - several times, exerting their first right of way even on a two wheeler or small car over an out of state registered vehicle irrespective of its size. Same bikers / autos would take extreme left lane near the edge in the night to avoid getting hit by any vehicle from behind , but in the day light or when in the group- they own the road.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 11:25   #97
Ice
BHPian

I believe that the majority of SUVs are driven in a manner more aggressive than polite. I also believe that it is a lot to with the drivers, and not as much to do with the car.

Most SUVs (read : BIG vehicles) on Bangalore roads are taxis plying shunting routes 24/7. The Taveras, Sumos, Qualises (Quali?), and Xylos are all pockmarked with dents and scratches hinting at previous skirmishes. They hardly respect queues at traffic lights and toll booths, traffic lights, pedestrian rights, speed limits, and lane driving. But they behave the same way even behind the wheel of a diminutive Indica. Result? I steer clear of all SUVs, and all white Indicas. I don't wait to see the color of their number plates before moving over. I am conditioned to do so.

Similarly, I shudder when a 2-wheeler comes alongside me. I wait for him/her to cut across my nose, or try and squeeze between me and another car driving alongside each other in two separate lanes. Result? I give all two-wheelers a wide berth. I am conditioned to do so.

I drive an SUV. I rotate the Qualis, the Innova, and the Fortuner for my daily drives in the city. And I am too worried about getting each of them home unharmed to consider bullying drivers who don't care enough about their cars. Especially in the city, where my vehicle's size puts it at a distinct disadvantage, with no space to flex its superior engine power.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 11:28   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
In this thread, I find the comments from those who own both car and SUV very interesting!
Here's another one from personal experience:
In my Innova (well ok not an SUV - but still a decent size) - I am extra cautious when driving it. The main reason for that is because, I cant bear to see any dings, dents or scratches on it.
Naturally the greater benefit of personal safety and other road user's safety is a free bonus!!

In my Santro AT , that's a small car. It has been driven for more than 10 years in Delhi traffic and has its fair share of dings , dents and scratches.
So , I can (and do) take a few liberties from time to time - such as passing a slower vehicle ahead on congested undivided streets, or even darting in and out of traffic while trying to catch up with a (missed) school bus. I would not dream of doing these in the Innova.

Of course, I try executing these maneuvers as safely as possible, but there must have been situations when people would have looked at me and thought :

So, yes the kind of car, does on occasion affect my driving style.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 11:39   #99
BHPian

Voted for option 3. Here's my personal experience.

When i used to run with my 800 / Esteem earlier - it used to be tough, especially, at Bangalore, where there are a million intersections across an arterial road, and when i see the nose of an SUV butt in, i just slow down, allow them all to go and proceed.

I then shifted to the Tata Safari, which is my daily commute for the past 6 years. When i moved to the Safari, i realised why the SUV Taxis drive the way they drive - cutting across lanes, and appearing rash on the roads.

What i figured out is, that given the huge visibility of the road in front, it prompts them to cut lanes. The noise that these SUV's make at lower speeds is high and thats scary - though they are not in speed, but you can visibly see the traction its building and the way they jut forward, clearly appearing to bully others. No, i am not justifying the taxis, but clearly, there is something that gives them a high to do all this.

Do i drive like this - No. Am i guilty of trying to bully my way ahead - I must admit - yes, but very rarely. Has my TSaf suffered injuries - yes, some scratches, some small dents - and in Bangalore, its becomming acceptable to get these injuries to your car when you drive out.

Each day on the roads at Bangalore city, i really want to get my car back clean, safe and clearly hope at every signal/intersection/dense traffic areas that there is none who want to squeeze to my left with harldy any space available.

And on the highways, my Safari never crosses the 110 Mark on the speedo. I have no problems if an Alto/Nano/Eon or for that matter , anyone who wants to go ahead of me on the highways. I invariably catch up with them on the next toll. and even if i dont, i just enjoy the drive on the highways.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 12:10   #100
BHPian

Interesting discussion. I don't give any special preference for any kind of vehicle based on size or levels of honking and flashing lights. All road users are same and have equal rights. I always give way to any class of vehicle which is being driven faster than me. When I drive on highways, I'm not at all worried about the speed other vehicles are doing or who is overtaking me. I just enjoy my drive.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 29th January 2014 at 12:13.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 12:23   #101
BHPian

Its not true completely, I have seen SUV's - The likes of Pajeros, fortuners and Endevours, Slowing down and tilting a bit to make way for my small and darting santro .

A few SUV's I have seen bullying on the roads are Call-Center Sumos and Scorpios covered with gaudy vinyls- To which I slow and stop in my lane right in-front of them rather than making way for their ridiculous driving styles.

I'm more about goods vehicles like Aces and 407's who most of the times doesn't even know the concept of low beams and lane discipline.
Mahven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 13:49   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahven View Post
I'm more about goods vehicles like Aces and 407's who most of the times doesn't even know the concept of low beams and lane discipline.
agree with you totally - this applies to cabbie shuttles as well.
Once I was in a some call-center indicab (didn't get any auto) and when asked why he was driving with high beam in city, this was his reply "saar, only when the blue light (the high beam icon) goes on in my dashboard, I feel that the focus of the headlight is correct - this is the default night driving mode for me"

Last edited by venkyhere : 29th January 2014 at 13:50. Reason: typo
venkyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 14:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
agree with you totally - this applies to cabbie shuttles as well.
Once I was in a some call-center indicab (didn't get any auto) and when asked why he was driving with high beam in city, this was his reply "saar, only when the blue light (the high beam icon) goes on in my dashboard, I feel that the focus of the headlight is correct - this is the default night driving mode for me"
On outer ring road, I usually look at the dash and see the blue light ON for most of the vehicles (including educated morons). I dont think they change that setting at all.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 14:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

I fear a rash driven bike the most! Most guys lack the common sense that they are the ones at risk and still prefer style over safety! I stay away from such guys. As I would be the one who would be blamed, even if the speeding two wheeler rams into my car, while it was stationary.

As for the guys on the SUV, I certainly feel they do have that superiority complex when try try to edge you out on a traficky road. I would not budge usually, and if I find him to aggressive, I save my car and go home safe. Afterall, no amount of ego can make you feel happy with a damage on your car

Last edited by aravind.anand : 29th January 2014 at 14:22.
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 14:50   #105
BHPian

Thanks to the thread starter on triggering this topic. Its actually a very interesting one and I had fun reading all the responses. I personally believe that the general mentality on Indian roads is that bigger the vehicle, larger is the "my" right of way. You got to see the Red Volvos on Bangalore roads, they are the biggest bullies and can squeeze through any gaps.

As far as my behavior and personal thinking goes
  • In general I dont feel special bullying effect of SUVs. its more of the driving style in any kind of vehicle. For eg I would certainly give way to an auto or an indica taxi or even a biker trying to squeeze in front of me, due to the sheer stupidity with which they are driven. But I dont change lanes just to let ppl overtake me in the city because its never the case that I am the slower one on the road since the entire traffic anyways moves at 20kmph avg
  • On the highway I would certainly give way to faster vehicle, be it SUV or a hatchback
  • Another thing i have noticed is that the volume of the horn does make a huge difference. On my Figo with the single OEM horn no one would budge including pedestrians. But the moment i changed it to skoda trumpet kind, it made a world of difference
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote