Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Can SUVs Have A Bullying Effect On Smaller Cars?
Definitely Yes. Size Matters! 109 33.33%
No. It's Just The Imagination Of SUV Owners. 46 14.07%
Depends On The Size/Type Of SUV & Aggressiveness Of Driver 172 52.60%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th January 2014, 15:01   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

Voted for # 1 because I've almost always been driving small cars - hatchbacks and the likes. The sheer size of a bigger vehicle, an SUV for this matter, is definitely intimidating. Whenever I'm being followed by an SUV, tailgated or otherwise, I tend to give them way - whenever possible. Two simple reasons - 1) If for some reason you have to apply your brakes suddenly, and in case of a rear-end collision the damage the SUV can do to your smaller car is considerably more, and 2) Only if you let the SUV pass, will you have a clearer/better = safer view from your rear view mirror.

I'd go on to say the same logic applies when you're riding a two-wheeler and you're being followed by a rather noisy diesel engine!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 29th January 2014 at 15:02.
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 16:00   #107

Smile Re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

Hello! I own a Mahindra Thar since late 2012. Prior to that I used to drive a Maruti Zen. I would like to say there is not that much of a difference between the two when it comes to getting your way. In fact two wheelers in Bangalore ride quite the same suicidal way trying to wedge in between the sides or cutting me off from the left. Auto drivers do keep more of a distance than before but that's about it I think.
ComSub is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 16:29   #108
BHPian

driven rashly even a dolphin, reva or nano will appear aggressive for the vehicle in front, i follow my concept of not giving clearance for bigger the vehicle tailing me.My decision changes only when the driver behind honks or signals and is sedate which i could make-out form the stance of approaching vehicle. In such case i volunteer and space out for even tvs champ or mofa
RJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 18:22   #109
BHPian

I think it depends on whether you are more agressive or the driver in the SUV on any given day. A fortuner was behind me for a long time today but I was already late for a meeting and I was rushing so he had to tail me, he did honk but then I said sorry dude

I agree to the fact that autos and bikes also give way when you go near them but my guess is may be because of the agressive look of the SUV and the Big wheels.
prguru is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 08:06   #110

I drive a Safari and a Beat. My Safari has all the scary things about SUV's like huge chrome bull bars and external fog lights. The fact of the matter is that I have to drive very carefully in traffic just to ensure that my chrome does not get scratched, nor does an auto wala come and nick my precious fog lamps. The Q7, Cayenne owners would be even more worried of the same. The small hatchback drivers have a tendency to just push their cars in a any small gap they find which is the scariest part.
Hence I let everyone pass and drive at very slow speed. The person sitting in a smaller car should not be feeling intimidated at all as I am more scared of him than he is of me!
I think even if an SUV owners begs for some sort of dominance, please let him have it as it is a real pain driving an SUV in traffic anyways. Long live my Beat!
racer_7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 13:29   #111
BHPian

I feel SUV drivers are mostly aggressive which I feel primarily stems from their ego and a belief that the bigger vehicle is safer.
SUV's generally fare very poorly in crash and roll over tests. I generally let such people pass , not out of respect but for my safety and sympathy towards their mental state.

There have been two incidents that i would like to share.

1. In 2010 during monsoon a I was driving on soaked delhi-Gurgaon expressway at a speed just under the speed limit in the right lane when suddenly I saw an over speeding safari in my rear view mirror honking and flashing lights. I immediately moved to the left to let him pass. The moron recognized that he was about to miss his exit and he suddenly turned left , loosing control and the SUV rolled over. Happened near the exit towards Sohna road.

2. 2013 I saw a Range Rover Evoque toppled near Gurudwara Moti Bagh in New Delhi. Bystanders told that it was travelling at a very high speed and it toppled while it was trying to overtake a car and hit metro construction debris.
Note:- the construction work area was very clearly marked with sign boards , reflectors , flashing lights , barrels and reduced speed limit-construction work sign boards in advance.

Last edited by fuelinmyveins : 30th January 2014 at 13:35.
fuelinmyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 13:32   #112
BHPian

Voted no. 3. I drive a Swift, and usually during city or a highway commute I let any vehicle (be it an Hatchback, SUV or even a Motorbike) pass me if the driver signals his intention. The only exception are Autos and City bus because here in Mangalore, these two are the most unpredictable vehicles and if I let them pass I will have to stop every time they do. So if I see these two vehicles on my rear view mirror, honking or flashing aggressively, I normally try to lose them by moving ahead.
Mahesh Prasad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 15:27   #113
BHPian

Since weíre all talking about our personal experiences Iíd like to add my two bits too. My vote goes to no. 3 as well.
I have been driving a Qualis for almost 14 years and am about to migrate to a Ford Classic. Your posts have made me start to wonder if Iím making a mistake in my decision!
I donít think Iím a rash or intimidating driver, as I obey the traffic rules but refuse to give way to any agro driver behind, if Iím within my rights. Since I usually can, and do, keep up with the traffic in front of me I do not see why I should move over and let the idiot behind take my place when he cannot go any faster after doing so. I make exceptions only for ambulances or police vehicles with rotating beacons. I most certainly do not give way to vehicles with political signages on them. Perhaps itís my way of getting back at them because of the way they drive and the way they get a lane reserved for them at toll plazas etc.
I also make it a point to stop at a red light when the light is still amber, unless I judge that I may get rammed from behind if I do. So it makes me swear when others, who approach the red light alongside me, cannot stop before the line and go beyond the pedestrian crossing, inching forward slowly, sometimes inconveniencing others about to cross their path.
The point Iím trying to make is that I believe the bullying effect in such types originates in the mind of the driver with the misplaced sense of superiority, if an SUV driver, or an inferiority complex, in the case of a small car driver trying to show that Ďhe has arrivedí.
Iíve also noticed that no post has referred to the lack of policing of these crazy antics and here Iíd like to say that I have taken time out of my schedule to visit the police station at the Vashi toll plaza to complain about the regular road hogging indulged in by slow moving trucks and buses on the stretch between Mankhurd and Vashi, including the Vashi Bridge. The officer very helpfully took down all the details of my complaint, spoke to me very nicely about the traffic problems etc., but I have seen no improvements, even two years later. So, as we will all agree, a major reason is the lack of policing, even after a conscientious motorist points it out to the cops.
About the louts that insist on driving with their main beams on, let me tell you what I did on two occasions on this same stretch. On both occasions I was being blinded by the headlights of long distance ST buses behind me, so I slowed down, slowly, making sure the guy behind could not overtake me, then stopped and got out and signaled to the driver to lower his headlights. One of them did so immediately, perhaps not realizing the trouble he was causing. The other tried to argue but finally gave in when I leaned casually on my Qualis and gave the impression that I wouldnít move at all until he blinked. I wouldnít do this again, since it is a waste of my time and of the passengers of the buses, but you get the drift of how this driver of an SUV also feels when intimidated by a bigger guy.
So keeping in mind all the points raised in the posts here Iíll now probably have to rethink my style of driving, from that of a guy who does what he thinks is right, to one who does what is best for his car.
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 17:46   #114
BHPian

I voted for the second option.

I will make way for any car faster than me. In any lane.

Driving styles differ according to how we are feeling at any particular moment.

I sometimes drive fast and enjoy zipping around in my Spark. I drive similarly in my friends City.

But some days I just go with the flow and don't really concentrate on overtaking.

But regardless of of how I drive, I would always give way to anyone faster than me, be it a Tata Nano or an Audi Q7.

Drive and let drive
400notout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 20:22   #115
BHPian

I have voted for 3

I think its the aggressiveness of the driver rather than the size of the vehicle that spoils our driving experiences. In general, if I am on the faster lane and someone approaches me fast, I voluntarily shift to the slower lane after indicating accordingly. I do the same even if its a bus, truck, suv or a nano.

In my opinion its always safer to stay away from aggressive drivers
laferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:24   #116

Well, I picked #3.

I was tailed many times by some SUVs and Innovas for longer distance without any bullying while driving at decent speeds even in my wagon R, on highways.

counter to it, was equally bullied by many Fortuners and other SUVs who can't even leave their high beam stalk unattended, while I overtake the truck ahead of me and move to the left line to make a way for them. All this action was experienced while driving some good C segment sedans.

I personally feel it all depends on how good/bad the driver can make use of these machines.

I definitely move left when I see some huge SUV/ any car in my rear view mirror tailing too close and flashing hard.

I feel the bullying feel/fear might be due to the dimensions of the vehicle. A 2 ton vehicle running at 60-80 km/hr approaching cross definitely calls for more fear/attention than a 1000 Kg hatchback running at same speeds.
diliprayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:17   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder how many of you have experienced what an SUV with a young lady with attitude at the wheel, can do to you, but I just did yesterday.

SUVs are tall and a lot more visible, so you are more easily warned of one coming up on your tail like there is a fire on the driver's. I could make out this black Scorpio, existence of a new pair of horns being demonstrated, coming up at least 5 cars behind in my rear view mirror. It forced other cars off their lanes, scared bicyclists into dismounting and hopping on to the footpath (and I am very partial to and protective of cyclists lately! I understand their pain and sorrow at first hand), and weaved across 3 lanes of traffic like the driver was driving an obstacle course (which was true!).

For a moment, I considered being my nasty old self and block out the Scorpio from further progress. But then, I was dumbstruck by the realisation that it was a lady in her early 30s at the Scorpio's wheel, wearing a bright yellow dress, and with (hold on!) bright red nail polish on extra-long nails. She floored the horn button and accelerator together, and swept past me from my left, even while I cringed to see her hit the brakes hard and swerve into the next lane with momentary loss of control further ahead.

It was a good decision, in retrospect. Why did I let her go? Thinking about it, I realized that (a) you don't want any panga with a lady driver on the road; (b) you don't want an out-of-control driver to drive into your boot by mistake; (c) in an actual accident, you'd be the loser both ways - the lady will walk scot-free because cops are too scared to talk to an aggressive lady properly, AND you'll need to run to the garage and pay the bill to repair your own car out of your hard-earned money, while her car will be taken care of by the husband and his driver.

It's not the SUV that has the bullying effect. I am proud to say that I gave way to a woman who has more rights (fundamental or otherwise) than I do - on the road or off it. The SUV could well have been a M-800, or the crane from Terminator 3 - the effect would have been the same.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd February 2014 at 09:19.
SS-Traveller is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 12:22   #118
BHPian

I am not sure if it is a universal thing !
I remember at the back of my mind ; my dad or uncle telling me "always give way to a bigger vehicle" ; of course they were referring to big buses or trucks on single lane highways .
i guess we have to add the SUVs with "bad drivers" too to that list .
atlantis0965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 09:44   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Bullying. Bullying with an SUV? Bullying with a Marcopolo bus? Bah...

To find out the best vehicle that can be used to bully other road users, take a look at the photograph below. Now imagine this one coming up on your rear bumper. Or just flashing its headlamps as it approaches you. No honking required. Enjoy the thought of driving this!

SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?-racingtruck.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 10:39   #120
Team-BHP Support

There is a new bully in town. The Ford Ecosport. Recently when I was on a long drive, I was shocked by frequency of bullying I witnessed by Ecosport drivers. Obviously, most Ecosport users would be experiencing the SUV effect for the first time due to the raised seat. But I didn't expect them to start bullying others on road. I was muscled out at least twice in toll gates by Ecosport drivers who obviously thought their new ride is indestructible. I was in the Grand Vitara, yet I yielded both times to preserve my vehicle.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote