Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Can SUVs Have A Bullying Effect On Smaller Cars?
Definitely Yes. Size Matters! 109 33.33%
No. It's Just The Imagination Of SUV Owners. 46 14.07%
Depends On The Size/Type Of SUV & Aggressiveness Of Driver 172 52.60%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th February 2014, 10:56   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is a new bully in town. The Ford Ecosport. Recently when I was on a long drive, I was shocked by frequency of bullying I witnessed by Ecosport drivers. Obviously, most Ecosport users would be experiencing the SUV effect for the first time due to the raised seat. But I didn't expect them to start bullying others on road. I was muscled out at least twice in toll gates by Ecosport drivers who obviously thought their new ride is indestructible. I was in the Grand Vitara, yet I yielded both times to preserve my vehicle.

Yea, even i have experienced this. The owners are making the most of joining the 'pseudo SUV' club. Wait until some of them topple on the shiradi ghat. Then they will come back to reality
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 10:58   #122
BHPian

Bullying by SUVs, needs more introspection.
Let's list down the SUVs.
Sumo - The grand old man. These 'ol chaps, don't have any more mojo in them to compete. So they are out.
Ecosport - New kid. Hardly any vehicles on roads. So can't decide now. They are out as well.
Duster - Not being a full sized SUV, they are a little smaller and can't really be termed as bullying. They are out as well.
Fortuner - Yes. The big brother. These are definitely menacing to look from your OVRM. Especially the ones with the flags fluttering. Most of these are chauffeured btw. And so this one is IN.
Honda CRV - See are we, uh ? What ? They are out, before being considered.
Landrover/RangeRover/Audi/Volvo - These luxury brands are usually very well driven. So they are out.
Scorpio/Xylo - These are definitely the ones on top. Most preferred boats by our political class. Most often driven rashly.
XUV - Haven't seen many bullying around. So they are out as well.
Endevour - Not many to be seen on road these days. But when one is spotted with a political flag, they do look like a runaway train, on tarmac.

Hope I haven't left out the mean ones.

And so, in my view, the top contenders are Scorio/Xylo and Fortuners. The common trait with these vehicles are

They are usually associated with a politician
Driven by drivers who have graduated from driving smaller vehicles

I get a chance to chat up with drivers, now and then and the information parted by them during these casual conversations is revealing. This is the information I got.

These drivers, usually the ones who were driving smaller vehicles (taxi drivers) are looked down upon on the road, through out their life time. They don't get to drive powerful vehicles anyway. And so when they get a more powerful vehicle and along with it the political protection, they let loose their beaten ego, muscling their way across heavy traffic. The turbo boost and the ego boost, they get, is unparalleled.

And that's the reason, why we get an impression that, SUVs have a bullying effect on road. It all boils down to the driver of the SUV and how well massaged his ego is/was.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 11th February 2014 at 11:00.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 11:07   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Ecosport - New kid. Hardly any vehicles on roads. So can't decide now. They are out as well.
Duster - Not being a full sized SUV, they are a little smaller and can't really be termed as bullying. They are out as well.
I have never experienced bullying by Duster, but Ecosport drivers are already bullying as if they driving a land cruiser.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 11:45   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have never experienced bullying by Duster, but Ecosport drivers are already bullying as if they driving a land cruiser.
I wonder if Tata would give you and Team-BHP a chance to test drive that racing truck some day. Please remember to invite me along for the ride!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 00:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

I have a pic that perfectly belongs to this thread.
I would love to see the results if the voters are allowed to re-vote.
I believe this pic should be shifted or merged with the OP.
This was an Ad I came across while waiting at the owner's lounge while getting my T-Jet serviced. IIRC the magazine was Top-Gear.
What to say if the manufacturer itself wants to highlight the bullying effect as the USP of its car to its prospective buyers.
Even the latest Ad of Scorpio is offensive and vulgar IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
SUVs & the Bullying effect: Myth or Reality?-img2014020500917.jpg  

Last edited by carwatcher : 12th February 2014 at 00:12.
carwatcher is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 12:19   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I have a pic that perfectly belongs to this thread...
I won't be surprised if it's a new ad and if this thread has inspired Mahindra to come up with it. After all, there is no doubt that many manufacturers keep an eye on T-BHP.

Last edited by saket77 : 12th February 2014 at 12:20.
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 17:54   #127
Senior - BHPian

No its not possible as the magazine issue was around six months old.
At the same time, the general public perception of Scorpio is on the similar lines and I am aware that MnM is well aware of that.
To confirm that just see any action scene in big budget movie be it Singham, etc. the scene won't be complete without a Scorpio toppling over or flying after a blast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I won't be surprised if it's a new ad and if this thread has inspired Mahindra to come up with it. After all, there is no doubt that many manufacturers keep an eye on T-BHP.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 18:09   #128
BHPian

No Sir, I don't get bullied by any SUVs!

Yes, the manufacturers have a tendency to put on a beastly look on their SUV's faces and a lot of buyers are getting carried away by the looks of it.
But, there are a lot of good and decent chaps driving these SUVs in the most civilized manner. Therefore, no complaints!

One thing we all should keep in mind is that the roads are meant to be used by all including pedestrians, cyclists, 2 wheelers, small/big cars, SUVs, trucks, trailers etc etc, provided they all follow rules irrespective of their comparitive sizes and values and there by the most valuable item on the road is the life of the Pedestrians and the occupants of the other vehicles. And let us not forget this.
philgrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 11:32   #129

I only give way to fast Buses, especially the private ones. I never budge to SUVs of any kind. If I don't have a place to go they don't either!
Most people just give way to SUVs even if they are not bullying anyone. I experience it every time I drive my friend's pick up truck. People just wait for you to get the hell out of their way. We need to stop doing that.
Serpentor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 14:45   #130
Senior - BHPian

I got "jacked" by a Duster this morning. My Wife and I were idling under the Agara Flyover, about to turn right onto the road which has that Greenview Hospital on it.
This Duster came up on our left, possibly from one of those gigantic apartment blocks on the left side before the flyover.
We waited for the lights to turn green and then turned, only to be overtaken at speed, from the left, with a very narrow margin, by a Duster! I was forced to brake hard as the Duster cut across our bows in its urge to immediately hit the fast lane on the road onto which it was turning! Luckily it was a miss, though a very narrow one.
To top it all, the Duster was being driven by a seemingly educated, office going type woman. (I won't call her a lady).
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 17:45   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bullying by SUVs, needs more introspection.
Let's list down the SUVs...
Maybe a one off case, I got bullied by a Duster between Madukkarai and Neelambur recently. I had to smoke him to get rid of the menace. The Sumos bully the smaller vehicles by tailgating with their highbeams on. I don't trust the brakes in Sumos, and if I see one on my tail, I resort to evasive maneuvers. I think you missed the Tavera, that also falls in the same category as Sumo.

Quote:
These drivers, usually the ones who were driving smaller vehicles (taxi drivers) are looked down upon on the road, through out their life time. They don't get to drive powerful vehicles anyway. And so when they get a more powerful vehicle and along with it the political protection, they let loose their beaten ego, muscling their way across heavy traffic. The turbo boost and the ego boost, they get, is unparalleled.
+1

A few years ago, I got the very same version from an Innova cabbie. We had hired this Innova from Thrissur to take us, a group of 6 from office, to a wedding of a colleague and some sightseeing in Palakkad. He was bullying every other vehicle on the road, and the extreme rash driving made two of us puke. It was during one of the puke breaks that he went gaga over the power of the Innova compared to the old Amby he was driving earlier.

Last edited by silversteed : 13th February 2014 at 17:46.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 18:49   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

I can only say that don't get intimidated by these so called SUVs. You don't really need to. This is only a thing we have created in our mind that the SUV guy will hit us if we don't give way. But thats crazy. One cannot just hit your car like that. If they do there are a million ways to deal with it. I simple follow one rule:
Give way to anything being driven rash. Be it a Bike or SUV or Bus.
drmohitg is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 20:24   #133
BHPian

Talk about bullying, there are many jeeps like the classics, mm550s, armadas and the likes that are used here in shillong for carrying loading and water trailers, on the other hand the cabs(mostly the m800s) here are share cabs so these cabs stop anywhere and everywhere to pick up and drop passengers.
Now 90% of the roads here being small, there have been many a cases that I have myself seen where the trailer jeeps have literally hit the cabs on purpose for stopping abruptly. This is the kind of bullying I've seen. However things have changed a lot now.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 20:04   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I can only say that don't get intimidated by these so called SUVs. You don't really need to. This is only a thing we have created in our mind that the SUV guy will hit us if we don't give way. But thats crazy. One cannot just hit your car like that. If they do there are a million ways to deal with it.
We, the non-SUV lot give them the ego boost by pulling to the left once we see an SUV in the IRVM. That makes them think everybody on the road fears them. Until we change our thinking and behaviour, they wont. Period.
Serpentor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 23:06   #135
BHPian

It largely depends on the driver of the SUV from my highway experiences. Recently did a 1200 Kms round trip and I have some observations from this recent drive.

Someone quoted that high end SUVs are well driven but again depends who is driving it. There was a brand new unregistered volvo XC60 driven by the owner who wanted to show the power of his new SUV so was seen cutting through other cars and trucks, sure looks a little intimidating for other car drivers. I guess incidents like this makes us think SUVs are generally rashly driven. But I did see many Fortuners driven sanely during this trip albeit the flagged ones.

So it is just the superiority complex of the driver who is behind the wheel of the SUV rather than the capability of the vehicle.
GullwingGT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote