Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd February 2016, 13:04   #166

Default Re: Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post

Will there be any issues with police stopping the vehicle while crossing the state borders since carzonrent are KA registered cars and zoom car are AP registered.

Waiting for valuable inputs from all members.
I cannot comment on which company is better i.e. Zoomcar or Carzonrent. My experience with Carzonrent has been quite poor and I have posted the same on this thread. Carzonrent is definitely cheaper between the two.

When it comes to getting stopped by police, every route may have its nuances. I for sure got stopped at several places by the cops. I got stopped and pulled over at signals while in Punjab and at every single checkpost in Himachal. The good part is that these companies (Carzonrent, Zoomcar etc.) provide the vehicle with all documentation. With this documentation, the cops were never able to find fault or reason to hold me back. On each occasion after checking the documents and also after seeing that I was with family in a self driven vehicle, I was let go.

While crossing state borders you are expected to pay the relevant taxes. In my case, since I was travelling to HP via Punjab, I had to pay the taxes for Punjab. HP was somehow taken care of by Carzonrent and I did not have to pay anything. The company that you rent from, will clearly instruct on you on where and when you need to pay these taxes. It will suck up some time at the check posts but does not take too long.

With more and more self driven cars on the road, cops are getting used to the notion and in a few years time I hope it will be hassle free for folks like us..
shiva75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:57   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
After reaching the spot i found that scorpio in the worst condition so i chose to keep the car which had the side wall crack and the sensor fault.

Strangely the car was all squeaky and rattly @ 30k on the odo.

The engine was good for the ghat conditions but the Gearshifts were bad, specially the car was difficult to put in neutral after going into REVERSE gear.

The Highway to Shimla is the beautiful & dangerous, Himalayan Expressway
You accepted a car with a side wall crack, that too on the front wheel, on an SUV?
I hope you changed the tyre before hitting the Highway, which you claim was beautiful & dangerous. Otherwise I cannot stress enough how big a risk you took and came out without a scratch.
You took a very big and unwanted risk, if you drove the Scorpio on the highway with that side wall cracked of the front wheel.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 12:38   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
You accepted a car with a side wall crack, that too on the front wheel, on an SUV?
I hope you changed the tyre before hitting the Highway, which you claim was beautiful & dangerous. Otherwise I cannot stress enough how big a risk you took and came out without a scratch.
You took a very big and unwanted risk, if you drove the Scorpio on the highway with that side wall cracked of the front wheel.
I had no choice !

Though i saw another Scorpio being offered but that was badly kept & unkempt interiors. I took a chance with the side wall damaged Scorpio and was mentally prepared for a tyre burst always

Also MYLES cars have that 100 km/h speed limit, so that way i was pretty much in control & also on ghats was driving in 2nd & 3rd gear only, avoiding unnecessary speeding.

Tell you what, this made my drive a lot more adventurous
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 13:19   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I had no choice !

Though i saw another Scorpio being offered but that was badly kept & unkempt interiors. I took a chance with the side wall damaged Scorpio and was mentally prepared for a tyre burst always

Also MYLES cars have that 100 km/h speed limit, so that way i was pretty much in control & also on ghats was driving in 2nd & 3rd gear only, avoiding unnecessary speeding.

Tell you what, this made my drive a lot more adventurous
You had a choice. That unkept car was still safer than this side wall cracked car.
In any case, you always had the option of changing the tyre with the spare wheel. If you were lazy, you could have asked the Myles guys to do it for you.

Adventure is one thing, putting your and the other occupants life in risk is totally unwarranted.

But, to each his own.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 14:30   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

A potential tyre burst is no laughing matter, and anticipation is pretty much useless. A burst tire at anything more than crawling speeds could be a very unpleasant (and possibly fatally dangerous) experience, esp. on ghat roads where safe space for a recovery maneuver is at a premium.

You're perfectly entitled to endanger yourself if you so wish, but please don't do it to others who trust you with their lives by riding with you.

P.S. I'm surprised the MODS haven't censored this post.

P.P.S. I read the original post and I'm disappointed that not only has the post not been edited/censored, a Moderator and Distinguished-BHPian have actually thanked the post without edits. What kind of message are we trying to send by this?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th February 2016 at 14:43.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 21:24   #171

Hello guys,

I'm planning to hire a Zoom Car for our trip to Ooty. This is the first time we would be renting a self driven car as my car is scheduled for a service in the upcoming weekend.
I've a couple of questions to begin with...

1. Where do I obtain the permit to visit Ooty?
2. I think Zoom Car doesn't allow smoking inside the car but two of my friends are smokers. Would there be a fine/penalty if at all they end up smoking? How do they detect it? Just curious

Any other things to keep in mind while renting Zoomcars?

Thanks in advance!
Resfeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 00:28   #172
BHPian

Hired a Duster from Myles for an overnight trip to Agra and back from Karol Bagh, Delhi. I was charged a total of Rs 6,300. On that amount i was charged Rs 900 more as i opted for the pick up and drop service.
As the vehicle was Delhi registered i paid the UP tax online.

Name:  f601b173308e4a518ce48226151ccbff.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  94.1 KB

Positives-
1) The car arrived on time at our hotel door step.
2) The guy who came to drop the car was courteous and he explained each and every details of the car.
3) The paper works were done in 15 minutes.
4) The car was brought neat and clean.
5) All the papers were up to date and i was shown each one of them.

Negatives-
1) It was a 85ps RXL not a RXZ. So no safety features on the car.
2) There were few rattling sounds and the driving shaft and the steering had some issue too.
3) I opted for pick up and drop. I came to CP and called them to pick up the car. Even after standing for 30 minutes no one came. I had to drop the car myself to there office parking. Though i paid for the pick up and drop facility.
4) The car had minor dents and scratches but that was acceptable.
5) I expected an year old 25,000kms driven vehicle in a better overall condition.

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-12688012_1007922995946260_9165052194838169561_n.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 29th February 2016 at 00:39.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:59   #173

Hello Everyone,

I booked a Figo yesterday for 3 days to be picked up from Myles's Ulsoor (Bangalore) location. I looked at the reviews after making the booking and I must say that I had almost a sleepness night. I had never read such negative reviews about a service before.

My main concerns now are -

1. Will I even get a car when I reach their center ? I read that a lot of people had been refused cars owing to inefficiencies of Myles
2. Even if I get a car now, I am very unsure of getting a good car (especially after reading the Scorpio's review from Chandigarh earlier in the thread). A 5 year old car with 1 lakh on the ODO is the last thing I expect.

I am seriously thinking about cancelling the booking and doing a safe one with either Revv or Zoom ? Has anyone taken a car (in a decent condition) from their Ulsoor location and faced no hiccups at all ?
sethi1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:11   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
The Carzonrent T&C now puts the speed limit at 100kmph. This is even more ridiculous and it would be annoying to keep staring at the speedometer while cruising on the highways. Do they have GPS tracking devices installed to track the speed and location of their fleet?

http://www.carzonrent.com/Car_Misuse_T&C.php
I have not seen anyone respond to this query. But I am sure there are folks who have gone above 100 kmph in a Myles rental car.

Has anyone been penalized? I would like to rent a Myles car, but cannot accept this limitation (Would rather get my car driven 3000 km by a driver and use it where I need it without the driver). Perhaps this will only be an issue in the case of an accident?

Cheers.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:35   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
I have not seen anyone respond to this query. But I am sure there are folks who have gone above 100 kmph in a Myles rental car.

Has anyone been penalized? I would like to rent a Myles car, but cannot accept this limitation (Would rather get my car driven 3000 km by a driver and use it where I need it without the driver). Perhaps this will only be an issue in the case of an accident?

Cheers.
When I was renting the car in Nov '15, I was told that the limit is 125 kmph. And while I was doing the paperwork somebody called the staff there to say that his car had stalled because he went faster than the speed limit 3 times. So, they are actually serious about the speed limit.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:53   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
When I was renting the car in Nov '15, I was told that the limit is 125 kmph. And while I was doing the paperwork somebody called the staff there to say that his car had stalled because he went faster than the speed limit 3 times. So, they are actually serious about the speed limit.
Thank you for the information. It would appear then they do have GPS tracking. I am sure enterprising folks can use a GPS jammer to avoid this, but not everyone has access to one.

How about zoom car? Their FAQ says they will assess a fine in addition to the speeding ticket, but I guess they don't care if one doesn't get a speeding ticket.

Mod note : Post edited. ABSOLUTELY no references to high speed driving. Team BHP promotes save driving at all times. Next time your account will be infracted.

Last edited by noopster : 9th April 2016 at 08:48. Reason: Refer mod note inline
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 20:27   #177
BHPian

Quote:

How about zoom car? Their FAQ says they will assess a fine in addition to the speeding ticket, but I guess they don't care if one doesn't get a speeding ticket.
IMHO, 140kmph is way too fast for any type of road in India. I would not term that as a safe speed at all. And given that any idiot can rent out from them, this condition helps them ensure that the idiot does not over speed. He can drive without seatbelts, he can change lanes without indicator, but he cannot overspeed. Makes sense if you ask me...

Last edited by noopster : 9th April 2016 at 08:46. Reason: Quoted post edited
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 08:56   #178
Team-BHP Support

To those promoting a higher speed limit (or indeed none at all), I would suggest casually observing how the average user treats self drive rentals in this country. Suffice to say it's a reflection of how little we value other people's property.

Zoom clearly calls out (and enforces) a 125 limit. It seems Myles does as well. You have a choice to rent from them or not- please exercise it. And drive safe!

Mod Note: any more posts promoting high speed of other unsafe practices will be summarily deleted and members' accounts acted upon.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 15:33   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I'm not sure if that happens when you go over the limit thrice. The zoomcar guy who was there at the time of pick up told me that the Amaze(that's what I rented) is pretty powerful & he also asked me to ignore the beep & speed past the limit as they impose a fine of 750 only. I laughed it off at first, but then I was shocked that Zoomcar staff themselves are encouraging this.

Last edited by saadat1992 : 9th April 2016 at 15:34.
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 07:33   #180

I keep seeing complaints about the limit imposed by Myles and Zoom on renters. I just thought I should weigh in on this.

First of: I used to run Myles. I don't any more. So CoI is minimal. Mods can edit if they feel the need.

I instituted the speed limit of 100kmph while I was there. Mainly because we had a lot of reckless drivers and in one case even a death. The car was being driven at 160kmph at peak on the Mum-Pun highway and the driver (The renter's friend) couldn't control it. Not to mention several cases where the car was declared a total loss without injury. In one mildly amusing case, where the Insurance company insisted on fixing the car rather than writing it off.

The condition at Zoom (AFAIK) was even worse. The insurers told us that Zoom was losing 1-2 cars a month on account of reckless high speed driving. Even when they were not losing cars, repair bills were enormous. Zoom at that point was paying the highest insurance premiums in the country (approx 10% per year).

Beyond this, we would get underage drivers (Myles had a lower limit of 23 years). Luxury cars run over speed breakers at 100+kmph and coming off with bent rims etc.

In short, if you don't like the limits, be reckless with your own car.

Quote:
Thank you for the information. It would appear then they do have GPS tracking. I am sure enterprising folks can use a GPS jammer to avoid this, but not everyone has access to one.
The speed limiter function has nothing to do with GPS. It reads the car OBD feed.

Last edited by bblost : 10th April 2016 at 08:04. Reason: Back 2 Back posts.
chiragpatnaik is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote