Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st February 2014, 12:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Re: Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway toll to finally end

There seems to be a new traffic nightmare on the toll cancelled highway. So the toll cancellation was done without any due diligence or taking into account future risks. Was this then a political move?

TOI report below:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30754138.cms
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 12:31   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway toll to finally end

I think GGN-DEL expressway is a classic case of complete planning disaster on all fronts:

1. Options for local traffic should have been considered - Expressway divides the city into two parts and people had to suffer due to narrow/poorly designed junctions to cross over from one part to the other. Even before NH8 was converted to an expressway, this road was an important one to commute in Gurgaon. Once the expressway was built there was hardly any space left for the local traffic (all sorts!!) hence most of the local traffic started using the expressway. This is by far one of the biggest reasons for the failure of this project.
2. Pathetic condition of alternate route between Gurgaon and Delhi - The way things work in our country I am sure this was done deliberately to benefit the eway operator. Since so many years there have been talks of creating new routes between DEL/GGN but nothing has been done.
3. Incorrect predictions of the amount of traffic on this road - I read somewhere that as per the initial study done while this was being planned, it was assumed that daily traffic of 2.25L vehicles will be hit somewhere around 2018/2020 but in reality this figure was hit in 2012 itself. Poor study or deliberately done to benefit the operator!

I really feel bad for people heading towards manesar who will have to pay more than double to use this messed up expressway. I am sure this will not continue for very long, people will start agitating against this decision.

Roads on either side (DEL and GGN) are not prepared to handle the increased flow of traffic post removal of the toll. With time more people will shift to this expressway and the mess is just going to increase.
Vikas Arora is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 15:09   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikas Arora View Post
I really feel bad for people heading towards manesar who will have to pay more than double to use this messed up expressway. I am sure this will not continue for very long, people will start agitating against this decision.
Sorry - it seems you and I were both mistaken. They would've paid 21+27 anyways. They are now paying 56, or about 16% higher. The government has selectively subsidized the locals in effect.

But then again, someone who doesnt stay in delhi and has come for some work will not agitate because of 8rs extra. If at all, he/she would be happy that less fuel is wasted idling at KM24.

Net net gain!
phamilyman is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 15:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sorry - it seems you and I were both mistaken. They would've paid 21+27 anyways. They are now paying 56, or about 16% higher. The government has selectively subsidized the locals in effect.

Net net gain!
I was referring to people who stay in Gurgaon and commute to Manesar (and beyond) everyday. For them the jump is from Rs 27 to Rs 56, which is significant without any improvement in facilities. Even if there were improvements how can one justify such a huge increase. People who were paying 21+27 will not complain too much.

In any case the real problem lies with Open tolling system where one has to pay the toll while crossing a toll plaza. Ideally NHAI should have implemented something similar to what they have done in Panipat (NH-1). I feel open tolling system within densely populated areas will definitely create these type of problems.
Vikas Arora is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 15:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How are they planning on managing traffic that comes from Udyog Vihar and wants to get on the Expressway to go to Ambience Mall/Gurgaon.
One has to take the U turn under the Rajokri Flyover.

Quote:
Gurgaon police's decision to disallow any U-turns until the expressway was well into Delhi.

What it translated to was this: Those who work in the Udyog Vihar belt and live in Gurgaon had to join the traffic stream going to Delhi and look for the U-turn, which finally came under the Rajokri flyover, a few kilometres from where people turn off for the international airport.

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30754138.cms
sinharishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 15:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikas Arora View Post
I think GGN-DEL expressway is a classic case of complete planning disaster on all fronts:

1. Options for local traffic should have been considered - Even before NH8 was converted to an expressway, this road was an important one to commute in Gurgaon. Once the expressway was built there was hardly any space left for the local traffic (all sorts!!) hence most of the local traffic started using the expressway.
2. Pathetic condition of alternate route between Gurgaon and Delhi - The way things work in our country I am sure this was done deliberately to benefit the eway operator.
3. Incorrect predictions of the amount of traffic on this road - I read somewhere that as per the initial study done while this was being planned, it was assumed that daily traffic of 2.25L vehicles will be hit somewhere around 2018/2020 but in reality this figure was hit in 2012 itself. Poor study or deliberately done to benefit the operator!
I quite agree with you Vikas on the first two points. I have always suspected that the old-delhi gurgaon road has been deliberately kept substandard to divert traffic to the expressway.
On the third point, I would simply say that it is a case of poor enforcement (government waking up late). In all the NHAI concession agreements, if the actual traffic goes above the design capacity, the developer has to add more lanes to the road and if it is not able to put in the additional capital expenditure to increase the design capacity then NHAI can ask for a re-bid for the road concession with the new developer putting in the new capital expenditure. In case the traffic had increased beyond design capacity, NHAI should have already called re-bids for the stretch.

Separately, has anyone noticed the new lanes that were added on the road that leads to shankar chowk from ambience mall? It used to be a 3-4 lane road all along but sometime last year more lanes were added to this stretch. As a result while this stretch has 7-8 lanes, the road beyond shanker chowk, leading to Cyber city has just 3 lanes. even an uneducated person would know that this is a receipe for disaster.

On Delhi side, obviously Rao Tula Ram flyover is the bottleneck with its peculiar design. How much brain does it require to understand that when you create a single lane flyover on a 4 lane road where most of the traffic actually needs to take the flyover, there is bound to be traffic jam?

I was anyway never in favour of toll being collected on this road. I commute from dwarka to cybercity, gurgaon everyday and join the expressway at rajokri crossing. I used to feel cheated that i have to pay a Rs. 21 toll just to use 2KM of the expressway (till the tollgate).
interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 11:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Oh the glorious madness!!!
3 days of leave, with the NHAI throwing in the U-turn shutoff at ambience.
For added flavor, let there be a divider from the 7th-8th lane onwards till the split for ambience coming from delhi.
For that aftertaste, throw in inept cops and officials who want to stand around moving their arms in clockwise motion, äs if saying "This is my shield, and you cannot see me being useless here!"
All washed down with a nice cuppa that you could brew and have 30-40 times in the time it took to traverse the E-way today.
Stop and go from when you get on at VV entry, presumably going on into the nether regions of chambal, er good-gaon eway.....

Why are people intent on making this E-way implode?

Last edited by mayankk : 18th March 2014 at 11:16.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 15:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

I was out there this morning as well. And it was the biggest delay I have encountered during my 18 months stay here in Delhi. And that was mostly when the toll was operational.

Now some geniusses have thought up new ways of creating a total gridlock!

How can you try to channel traffic in the correct lanes once they pass the (now redundant) toll booths as everybody knows that they are all over the place in every damn lane before the get to the tool both. Finding out that some genius put a barrier in place,after the tool both, so we couldn't make the Leela exit is ridiculous to say the least.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote