Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th February 2014, 22:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: One toll tag for Mumbai-Delhi NH by August 2014, GQ and N-S Corridors by October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
While I think that the ETC is a welcome initiative, I can't help but wonder about the means of acknowledgement that one has indeed paid the toll. SMS/email receipt? Or do we have to check our account online for particulars and/or remaining balance?
Way back there was something similar launched between Mumbai to Baroda (Sans NE1) with a Tie-up from ICICI bank and I remember reading the news article where it mentioned that the balance amount (upon payment acknowledgement while passing a toll booth) will be communicated Via SMS.

However, even if you look at certain Toll Plazas (For instance BETL in Bangalore) one can see their Vehicle Number, Balance/Validity displayed on the LED display soon after the barrier.

With a system in place (in days to come), I don't think the communication to the user regarding the payment will be something to bother about at all.

I only hope the situation doesn't end up like how it still happens in Bangalore where educated techies fail to read the huge board that clearly mentions that a particular gate is for RFID/OBU Users only and create chaos at times.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 22:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: One toll tag for Mumbai-Delhi NH by August 2014, GQ and N-S Corridors by October

Great news indeed! I know it will take a couple of years to smoothen out, but in the end we hope to have a winner.

I've seen the ease with with 'E-Z Pass' holders in NE region of USA pass through dedicated lanes on toll gates. I remember that one had to slow down to around 15 mph in order to let the transponder read the RFID card mounted near the IRVM. There were cases when someone who drove through faster were chased by prowl cars and fined.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th February 2014 at 22:15.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 22:14   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

More on that here: http://www.samachar.com/mumbai-ahmed...orM3fehdf.html

News Article dating back to April, 2013
Quote:
MUMBAI: India on Saturday joined the ranks of USA, Western Europe, Singapore and Australia, with the introduction of a technology driven highway toll collection system.

Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Dr. C P Joshi, launched the first Inter-operable, Electronic Toll Collection System based on Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Technology at Toll Plazas of Mumbai - Vadodara Section. The launch function was held at village Tawa, near Dahanu in Thane district.

RFID tag will be a prepaid tag which will be affixed in the upper central portion of the vehicle's windscreen. It will work as a prepaid toll account and there will be automatic toll deduction when the vehicle crosses a toll plaza.

The unique number of the Tag fitted on the windscreen of the vehicle would be read by the 'readers' fitted in the dedicated "ETC" lanes of these plazas, and sent to the Central Clearing House, set up by the ICICI Bank in collaboration with American firm Toll Plus. The user will get an instant SMS alert as well as email update. The Clearing House pools the money collected electronically and later distributes among toll plaza managements as per usage by vehicles.

This facility has been made available at the IRB Toll Plaza, Charoti, IRB Toll plaza Bhagwada, IRB Toll plaza Boriach, IRB Toll Plaza Choriyasi, NHAI Toll plazas at Narmada Bridge and L&T IDPL Toll Plaza at Karjan and Vadodara.

The RFID tags can be bought at identified kiosks located near toll plazas. They can also be bought online through the website of ICICI Bank. The tags can be recharged both at the kiosks, as well as through the ICICI Bank website.

Acceptance of the new system by people would mean long queues and fumbling for change at toll plazas would become a matter of past.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th February 2014 at 22:15.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 22:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Way back there was something similar launched between Mumbai to Baroda (Sans NE1) with a Tie-up from ICICI bank and I remember reading the news article where it mentioned that the balance amount (upon payment acknowledgement while passing a toll booth) will be communicated Via SMS.

However, even if you look at certain Toll Plazas (For instance BETL in Bangalore) one can see their Vehicle Number, Balance/Validity displayed on the LED display soon after the barrier.

With a system in place (in days to come), I don't think the communication to the user regarding the payment will be something to bother about at all.

I only hope the situation doesn't end up like how it still happens in Bangalore where educated techies fail to read the huge board that clearly mentions that a particular gate is for RFID/OBU Users only and create chaos at times.
Thanks man. I hope a similar system is put into use at toll booths featuring ETC.

I also hope that they manage to integrate the option of paying a discounted return trip toll rate that some inter-city toll booths offer.

Regarding commuters using dedicated lanes, I think that they should impose a fine for a non-tagged vehicle entering/using the automated lane. It may sound far fetched and debatable but I believe that in due time, it'll impart a certain sense of discipline amongst us. Also, the automated lane shouldn't be totally unmanned and must have support personnel in case the system or an individual tagged car experiences problems/glitches.
Turbo_Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 14:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Finally, good initiative from NHAI. At least, no toffees from toll plazas!

Its not difficult to have a guard for such dedicated lanes. There is an exclusive lane at Thoppur toll for regular vehicles with access card. A guard makes sure that this lane is free even when all other lanes are packed.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 21:17   #21
BHPian

Great news. Though it is a small step, I think slowly this concept will become a standard norm. This week I spend three days and amazed to see that technologies have been adapted in various aspects of transportation.
MaxTorque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:13   #22
BHPian

Well, the logic is to have this completely automated so this is how the system should go:
  • No security, no personnel.
  • Suitable cover for monsoon, ability to disable automated system during breakdowns, fog etc.
  • In high density areas, minimum two lanes for RFID tags (for the situation when one reader is out of order). Hand helds by the booth operator where not more than one lane can be demarcated.
  • Forward facing reader positioned at reasonable height on an across beam to pick up the signals. Cars can then travel at higher speeds through the designated toll gate.
  • If reader is unable to read the tags pasted on front windscreen of the vehicle for any reason, vehicle is deemed an offender.
  • Signal is passed immediately to camera.
  • Backward facing camera/flash positioned at specified height to capture licence plate photographs of offenders (i.e. no tag, balance not available etc.)
  • Immediate SMS providing alert of utilised balance / available balance
  • Recharges made available online, recharge coupons, mobile payment etc.
  • Offenders get charged double or more, information passed to local RTO's for sending notices.
  • Scheme to be extended across all toll booths across the country. One tag - many toll booths

Last edited by pariwar : 23rd February 2014 at 18:25. Reason: additonal information added
pariwar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 09:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Founded in the 1990's E-Z Pass finally comes to India. Talk about making a late entrance!

This technology is ages old and is still being used actively in the Eastern parts of the United States of America. While in India we're starting off with RFID tags, out there they've also got E-Z (Zoom or Express) which allows a fast-moving (speed of 40+ miles) vehicle to pass through to the toll booth without stopping or slowing down.

Great initiative by the Indian Government. Many daily commuters will find this a blessing!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 11:04   #24
BHPian

What I don't understand is:

Quote:
The details will include vehicle details, insurance data and driver’s license details.
How? How can a driver's license details be mapped to a particular vehicle? What if someone else drives that car?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 12:59   #25
BHPian

This is really great news, if they can maintain a separate lane for RFID tagged vehicles, its frustrating to wait at the toll queues, many times it is not possible to tender exact change , I dont know why the toll is always charged in odd figures, usually I display the note out to the guy who is standing by the window at least 1 car before I approach the window some of them are smart enough to keep the change ready by the time I reach the window to avoid wasting time getting the change.

Quote:
How? How can a driver's license details be mapped to a particular vehicle? What if someone else drives that car?
Sir, I think the toll we pay is for the vehicle and not for the driver, if I am not mistaken. If I were to give my car to someone then I would expect him to pay all the toll charges instead of being charged to me.

Last edited by DerAlte : 30th October 2014 at 13:40. Reason: Please edit first post instead of creating another back-to-back
ssadwelkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 21:58   #26
Team-BHP Support

Concluded a Surat-Udaipur round trip last weekend and we had to stop at 7 toll booths during one leg of the journey. Paid Rs. 329 in total (Rs. 748 to and fro).

One toll tag for Mumbai-Delhi NH by August 2014, GQ and N-S Corridors by October-wp_20140318_12_21_28_pro.jpg

I wish we could have paid this amount from the first toll booth and simply flashed the slip while passing through an alternate lane. In one of the toll booths, the slip was collected, the bar code was scanned and we were let through because we had paid the toll amount at the previous booth.

Some of the lanes were too crowded with trucks and trailers. We ended up waiting for 10-15 minutes. The average speed thus dropped.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th March 2014 at 22:08.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 15:14   #27
Team-BHP Support

The Government of India will launch Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) on the Mumbai - Delhi route on October 31, 2014.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote