Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th February 2014, 10:28   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default One toll tag for Mumbai-Delhi NH by August 2014, GQ and N-S Corridors by October

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/30695395.cms

Finally some welcome news.
I have lost the count of times I have wasted 30 minutes at a single toll plaza.
Thankfully, the common tag on GQ and N-S / E-W corridors will mean there will be some end to this madness.

I guess, now the NHAI has to manage lanes in a way that the tag lane is always kept free with only automated gates.

I think the fuel saving by this mechanism is going to be tremendous.
tsk1979 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 11:57   #2
BHPian

Default Re: One toll tag for Mumbai-Delhi NH by August 2014, GQ and N-S Corridors by October

This is a great idea but I doubt it will work.

Even if there are 'dedicated' lanes on each side, we will still have semi-literate cab drivers driving into these lanes, simply because these lanes will be relatively empty to begin with. I doubt if cab drivers are intelligent enough to distingush between cash lanes and RFID lanes - they just drive into the lane which is least populated, simple.
If this lane is completely automated [that means there are no personnel to man this particular lane] then, within a matter of minutes, we will have traffic piling up behind because the barrier wont lift and to make matters worse, the lane is not manned and it means more waiting time even if you have an RFID tag.

Sorry for being pessimistic!!
Kaumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 13:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: One toll tag for Mumbai-Delhi NH by August 2014, GQ and N-S Corridors by October

Thats a welcome initiative provided the infrastructure at the tolls enroute will be upgraded to meet the requirments. Dedicated RFID toll lane seems to be good solution but I have seen many a such tolls which had dedicated lanes being violated by all. Hopefully the staff at the toll may take care of the issue.

The report said vehicles from January will have inbuilt RFID tags, which vehicles are we talking about and what would be the RFID input? The VIN?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 13:40   #4
BHPian

Default Re: One toll tag for Mumbai-Delhi NH by August 2014, GQ and N-S Corridors by October

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Any initiative on this front is always welcome.
If the roads are good and the other amenities are sufficient, it is worth to pay the tolls. And if the paying system is also automatic, then what else to ask for?
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 13:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The report said vehicles from January will have inbuilt RFID tags, which vehicles are we talking about and what would be the RFID input? The VIN?
I don't guess VIN will be used as RFID. I have my Sail UVA manufactured in October and it has RFID on the front windshield. I feel this RFID would be unique.

Thanks
rnidumolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 14:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

This in my opinion is absolutely welcome move. Traffic is one thing but the time spent at toll gates is also largely due to the inability of motorists to tender exact change. It takes more and more time especially at peak hours. And there are very few who take care of carrying right currencies in right denominations to move things faster. The RFID tags should work very well. Automatic tracking, automatic payment and reduced travel times - perfect world. of course in practice few issues here and there but acceptable as it would definitely be faster than manual ones!

I am sure it wont be unmanned because these NHs span across the states and instead of waiting for people cheating on the toll, the toll boys would personally check the tags while cars move at a speed of 10kmph through gate. probably made with continuous humps to compulsorily reduce the speed. As long as it makes it **any faster** than the current queue/ wait times, people will embrace it.
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 14:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have lost the count of times I have wasted 30 minutes at a single toll plaza.
Thankfully, the common tag on GQ and N-S / E-W corridors will mean there will be some end to this madness.

I guess, now the NHAI has to manage lanes in a way that the tag lane is always kept free with only automated gates.

Excellent idea but I think it will have negligible impact for the first three years because the problem is implementation - junta will be cheapskates and will not buy it. While folks like you and me will have it but will be stuck behind others who dont have it but will still abuse the lane.

And we know what happens next... (facepalm!)
http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...arl-free-ride/
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 14:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Excellent idea but I think it will have negligible impact for the first three years because the problem is implementation - junta will be cheapskates and will not buy it. While folks like you and me will have it but will be stuck behind others who dont have it but will still abuse the lane.

And we know what happens next... (facepalm!)
http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...arl-free-ride/
On highways esp at the large toll plazas, the queue size is not too much. Its just 20 vehicles in each lane with around 7-8 minutes total.
In cities it will not work, but on the highways, if the toll lane segregation is good it will work.

Let me give you examples
1. Panipat toll plaza has except lane -> Blocked by cones. When a VIP vehicle comes, the guard moves it away
2. Similar at Karnal
3. Himalayan expressway has a long tag lane, at the start(80 meters before the gate) a guard stands and only if the vehicle shows the tag, it removes the cone or directs

Once this gets popular, which it will because
1. New cars will get it, are already getting it
2. Commercial fleet operators will also go for it because it gives them tracking for very little cost.

Problem guys are the pesky illegal cabs and local village traffic.
But they will come around.

In cities, where lines stretch to 100 vehicles in each lane its difficult to do it.

You also have to understand, in earlier tag systems, you have one tag per toll plaza.
For example DND tag could not be used anywhere else.
So if I do DND once a month, I would never get the tag.

But when it becomes pan India, and same TAG can be used on all plazas, people will go for it.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 14:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Once this gets popular, which it will because
1. New cars will get it, are already getting it
2. Commercial fleet operators will also go for it because it gives them tracking for very little cost.

Problem guys are the pesky illegal cabs and local village traffic.
But they will come around.

In cities, where lines stretch to 100 vehicles in each lane its difficult to do it.

You also have to understand, in earlier tag systems, you have one tag per toll plaza.
For example DND tag could not be used anywhere else.
So if I do DND once a month, I would never get the tag.

But when it becomes pan India, and same TAG can be used on all plazas, people will go for it.
Exactly why i said it wont be popular for the first three years The replacement of personal vehicles over time would give this critical mass.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 15:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Exactly why i said it wont be popular for the first three years The replacement of personal vehicles over time would give this critical mass.
You are missing one point.
Earlier tags never worked because the tag worked only on one plaza. So I would never buy a tag for lets say "Himalayan Expressway".
But one tag, many plaza's mean I would buy the tag at 400 INR. No issues!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 15:53   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are missing one point.
Earlier tags never worked because the tag worked only on one plaza. So I would never buy a tag for lets say "Himalayan Expressway".
But one tag, many plaza's mean I would buy the tag at 400 INR. No issues!
Agreed fully. We have written entire articles about this whole mess earlier:
http://www.infrastructuretoday.co.in...ml/page48.html (page 49 talks about nationally valid tags exactly as they're doing now!)

NHAI has been talking about it for ~4 years and so have many news paper articles. I think mfrs embedding them in new cars is the perfect approach and what would really contribute a critical mass.

I think the other thing that would work, would be a massive discount. Say you buy the tag for 400 bucks, and the stored value is actually worth 500 or say 600. Else folks will say, I'm a pucca delhiite, why buy a tag when i drive out only once a month, chhodo yaar!

I sure hope people buy it - I for one would, but I am generally skeptical about the average junta. I really hope I am proven completely and utterly wrong!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 17:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good step in general. Can potentially cut the mess at the toll gates.

However,

Quote:
as this can be indirectly used for tracking, it can also be used to infer speed(?) I hate the feeling that someone may be tracking me...especially with depressingly low speed limits all around
anandpadhye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 18:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Last month during a drive on NH 48 near Hassan at toll booth maintained by L&T saw a circular drum kind of thing placed near the toll collectors window on checking it was said to be for 'card payment' not sure it this development is part of the same.

Not sure of some comments on the TOI article though -

Quote:
He said while many of the new vehicles produced after January this year have inbuilt RFID tags
What does that mean ?

Also,
Quote:
Electronic toll collection (ETC) at 50 toll plazas on the golden quadrilateral (GQ) network will start in the next six months with each tag costing about Rs 400.
Hope it just means that one common tag for all 50 toll booth and it will cost Rs 400 and not that you will have to carry 50 tags (which will negate the purpose).
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 18:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
What does that mean ?
Here's something related to that which should help:

http://burnyourfuel.com/55326/radio-...y-indian-cars/

Quote:
Government of India has set itís eyes on mandating RFID tags for Indian cars as a measure to help improve toll collection, implementation of economic road pricing in congested areas. World over, Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and smart cards technologies are being used for transit applications to provide increased convenience to the end users. In India, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and NHAI have decided to use RFID technology for toll collection on the entire National Highways network. India has huge road network, consisting of National Highways (70,934 kms) and State Highways (1,31,899 km). RFID technology will enable toll collection without the vehicle stopping, ensuring seamless travel and efficient toll collection.

The Radio Frequency Identification tags will be positioned on the carsí windshields but it is still not decided as to when the rule would come in practice. However, with such RFID tags in place, it will be possible for government to easily keep records of more than 9,98,06,214 vehicles at a time. The details will include vehicle details, insurance data and driverís license details.

Similarly Smart cards, Biometrics and RFID technologies are now penetrating in variety of socio-economic applications as well. Some of the on-going projects the use these technologies promoted by Government of India are National ID, driving and Vehicle registratione, e-Passports, public distribution system, Financial inclusion, health insurance for BPL and Unique Identification Number.
Implying Radio Frequency Identification in India and using it to itís full potential can however take some time owing to the number of cars currently plying on roads. This will also need a similar inheritance of technology by our infrastructure. Not just the highways, but the intra-city toll booths and parking places should also get into the nick of things and try to move accordingly in order to use the technology to itís fullest.
EDIT: If we notice, most of the new cars have this type of RFID stuck on the left hand side top of the front windscreen. In fact, I saw that my colleague's Ecosport which was delivered in Dec 2013 and also a couple of display vehicles at a Maruti Show room.

Name:  20140220_182240.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  114.9 KB

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th February 2014 at 18:27.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 21:58   #15
BHPian

While I think that the ETC is a welcome initiative, I can't help but wonder about the means of acknowledgement that one has indeed paid the toll. SMS/email receipt? Or do we have to check our account online for particulars and/or remaining balance?
Turbo_Torq is offline   Reply With Quote