Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Does Anticipating preempt sudden actions?
Yes 194 82.91%
No 2 0.85%
Not always 38 16.24%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th May 2014, 18:08   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Anticipation - The hallmark of a Good Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Driving is an acquired habit.
I'd beg to disagree on that. If you drive out of sheer habit, you're running on 'auto-pilot'. It is necessary to be consciously aware of the surroundings and ongoing situations to be able to anticipate what might go wrong.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 22:26   #92
BHPian

SS sir my view was that we learn to drive and it is not an innate trait. To be more succinct I agree with you but also want to bring a different perspective.
Dieseldunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 16:50   #93
BHPian

Here is a nice quiz on traffic rules. Try the test a couple of times to get different questions:

http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.org/quiz/

Pradeep
pradkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 16:26   #94
BHPian

An incident yesterday which happened enroute on my way back home got me back to this thread.
Whilst near the ESI roundabout from Pillar towards KK nagar a wagon R was besides my bike and had given the signal to turn right and no traffic on both sides and comfortably make the turn .
Usually the visitors to HSB park their vehicle on the road. Suddenly a car does the reverse in full speed and luckily I spot it hence go slow and another biker besides me thinks otherwise and nearly brushes the car. Words exchanged and also stares. Lucky me to have a premonition to check before moving ahead.
Cheers
prasad
Old 16th September 2014, 13:07   #95
BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread.

Although Anticipation is an excellent safe driving habit for places where other drivers are more predictable. I feel for Indian roads: "PARANOIA" is a more useful state of mind while driving. My father taught me this early on, he said: "Beta, drive as if everybody is out to get you" . And I follow this and try to propagate the same to everyone I can influence.

So, I expect everyone to hit me and give a wide berth to everyone, this results in reaching late everywhere but I don't mind. Despite this I have scratches all over my car. The most frustrating thing is people moving into the space I leave in front of my vehicle to avoid tailgating the car in front.

About honking: I just don't get it: There are so many people honking, that I don't understand who is honking at whom and for what reasons. There should be a facebook app where you can send an online 'honk' to the car registration number citing the reasons or something like a directed IR beam to the other vehicle letting them know where the honk is coming from atleast. No point just broadcasting the sound to everyone within hearing distance. Every time, I hear a horn, I look all around me (imagine a pigeon looking around) to see who is honking at me and why?

Sorry for the rambling. Driving in Indian traffic and any discussion around it just gets me started.

Interesting experiences all. Thanks-Amar
amarpreet99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 14:30   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
...for Indian roads: "PARANOIA" is a more useful state of mind while driving. My father taught me this early on, he said: "Beta, drive as if everybody is out to get you" . And I follow this and try to propagate the same to everyone I can influence.

So, I expect everyone to hit me and give a wide berth to everyone, this results in reaching late everywhere but I don't mind. Despite this I have scratches all over my car. The most frustrating thing is people moving into the space I leave in front of my vehicle to avoid tailgating the car in front.
You really need to take a look at this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ty-primer.html (Evidence-Based Driving for Safety: A Primer).
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 14:43   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Thanks SS-T, I'll respond to that thread.
amarpreet99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 21:33   #98
BHPian

Reviving an old thread. This was after seeing the accident mortality due to vehicles. Seems that techniques of driving with a little more anticipated perspective will greatly bring the mortality rate to single levels. However one also needs to be highly aware that there is no better driving safety sensors than what is located between our two ears.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:47   #99
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread this. Anticipation is also making optimal uses of all your senses and all equipment on your car/bike. Stop listening to music in traffic and certianly no phone calls/Bluetooth conferences when driving. Adjust both mirrors and irvm to have optimal view of both sides and minimise blind spots. When looking at the vehicle ahead you or beside you, look at their front wheels, any left or right turn of the tyre means he/she is coming into your lane. Also keep a little to the right of the vehicle ahead of you,if he brakes or turns to avoid something you have an escape path to take evasive action.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:40   #100
BHPian

Accidents usually can be significantly reduced if anticipated driving utilization happens.
For starters
It helps reduce fatigue of lomg drives
reduces road rage tendencies
makes driving more satisfying and safe
brings increased attention span
most of all keeps us happy and cherish every drive taken.
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:31   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accidents usually can be significantly reduced if anticipated driving utilization happens.
For starters
It helps reduce fatigue of lomg drives
reduces road rage tendencies
makes driving more satisfying and safe
brings increased attention span
most of all keeps us happy and cherish every drive taken.
I agree to all of your points, except one.

I use my anticipation skills while driving and they have helped me a lot on several occasions. Only I feel that it increases my mental fatigue levels while driving due to constantly being on the look out for others' mistakes and its likely impact. I am happy that I come back tired and yet, safe each time.
ashis89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:39   #102
Senior - BHPian

Anticipation requires concentration. The driver really needs to be concentrating on everything going on all around.

Good anticipation pretty much presented to me the UK drivers license (all this is hindsight, at that time I did not place much importance to this incident).
I was driving in a rather narrow residential side street. The street curved 90 degrees to the right, and somewhere in this curve, was a side road joining in on the right side. Now, I had never driven on this street, did not know of the side street. As I approached the curve (at ~45 kmph), I backed off the accelerator, went a bit more to the left, and covered my brake with my right foot.
Sure enough, there was another car going a bit too fast, a bit too close to the centre line, coming from the opposite side, who got surprised by someone attempting to join the road from the side street (to his left), and came oh so close to having an accident with me. But, since I had already started slowing and veering a bit left, I could very smoothly avoid him.

Examiner's comment? He just nodded and said, "you are an experienced driver, eh?"
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:31   #103
BHPian

Yes I do agree that anticipated driving technique is a bit more about awareness of the road, traffic, patterns of driving by other car drivers.

@kiloalpha :thumbup:
@ashis
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:16   #104
BHPian

The best use of anticipated driving comes in handy really at intersections especially on highways. Looking at the accident videos on highway intersections this is the foremost thought. 2 days ago was coming back to chennai from blr and on the chitoor route just bit ahead of the nandi food plaza a moron decided to overtake a convoy of trucks buses (volvos) ! and cars and zooms in exactly where the road curves. What an idiot and the volvo guy was kind enough to let this moron back into the lane and I gave him a thumbs down.
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best use of anticipated driving comes in handy really at intersections especially on highways. Looking at the accident videos on highway intersections this is the foremost thought. 2 days ago was coming back to chennai from blr and on the chitoor route just bit ahead of the nandi food plaza a moron decided to overtake a convoy of trucks buses (volvos) ! and cars and zooms in exactly where the road curves. What an idiot and the volvo guy was kind enough to let this moron back into the lane and I gave him a thumbs down.
Overtaking any vehicle on a curved road is a perfect recipe for disaster. Say you wish to overtake a vehicle in front of you and you are proceeding on a curved road. I would rather trail the vehicle till the road becomes straight and I get to see the oncoming vehicles.
You never know if any moronic vehicle happens to be the oncoming one.
But I have noticed Volvo buses overtake blindly on a curved road courtesy their loud horns and multiple headlights, especially on the Old madras road.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote