Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 11th October 2004, 02:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default My experience on the NH218!!!

NH-218 - HUBLI to BIJAPUR - 192kms

It may look great on a map, it may be only 192kms long, but get this, i just got back from Bijapur this evening and you wont believe it, it took me 6 hrs to get here.

Forget it being called a NH, it's not even as good as the roads we have in our cities. Unfortunately, it so happened that we decided to take the Vtec, for the trip when we heard from somebody that the road was in good shape (may that person burn in hell *) .

But what we came across was really shocking. These roads are in such bad shape, that half way into the journey, i even forgot what a road looked like. There were pothholes, 1.5 foot deep and 3-4 feet wide.

We had to drive through villages were the road was as wide as my car. I was being overtaken by busses, sumos and *indicas. Had a drag race with a tractor which i lost. LOL

We saw 3 trucks parked by the road side with complete suspenssion failure, 1 with a broken axel and 4 Sumos with flat tyres.

I was forced to do speeds of 20-40kmph for more than 150kms. *

I tell you, these roads are so bad that even a WRC driver would think twice before ripping his car there.

Then finally we got onto the NH13 ( some 60 kms before Bijapur). Pretty good road, atleast that's what i thought, when i first saw it. It was good no doubt and i was happily doin 100kmph trying to forget the past when suddenly, i saw this huge pothole at the edge of the road.

Under those circumstances there was nothing i could do. Take a left and would i fall into the ditch next to the road, take a right and the oncomming truck would have smashed me to pieces, so i just held the steering straight and tried to slow down as quicky as possible and took that pothhole at around 80-85 kmph.

Then on it was 60kmph, all the way to Bijapur. The worst drive i've ever had. Tyre problem was the last thing on my mind, i was trying my best to save the suspenssion and drivetrain from getting damaged. Hehe

Finally made it back home in one piece, the car did take a lot of beating in the last 2 days and i wont be surprised if something somewhere has cracked or has play in it, as i could already hear some clackling noise from the front, my guess is that the brake callipers must have become loose.

So if any of you plan to take your car to a place you've never been to before, then please make sure you get all the info about the road conditions.

I just can't believe, India has such horrible National Highways. It looked very similar to the Kenyan stages from WRC. Pathetic!!!

Shan2nu

Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 02:54   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I remember going to Jim Corbett national park, The Roads!.... Alto's rims still remind me of it.
Best part, the small single road even deep inside the jungle was smooth, but the highway... OOh!

One more was Sariska Wild life Sanctuary, on the way .. below avg. roads.. and unmarked HUGE speed breakers.... OHHH ...hit one at 70km/h.... God bless the wagonR... no one's head got banged and spine broke.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 08:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

San2nu, you can thank our new govt for the road conditions. You should come and see the Bangalore roads now. Most of the roads look like open cast mines. This is one main reason why all the top IT companies are boycotting IT Expo this year. If you remember the good stretch of Sakleshpur (on the way to Mangalore)...it's gone beyond your imagination. *[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 10:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ Oct. 11 2004,07:23)]San2nu, you can thank our new govt for the road conditions. You should come and see the Bangalore roads now. Most of the roads look like open cast mines. This is one main reason why all the top IT companies are boycotting IT Expo this year. If you remember the good stretch of Sakleshpur (on the way to Mangalore)...it's gone beyond your imagination. *[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]
Hopefully, it should be an old gov't in the next few months at the rate discord is building up! I also think, people power will soon kick in, corporates are already walking !
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 10:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ Oct. 11 2004,07:23)] If you remember the good stretch of Sakleshpur (on the way to Mangalore)...it's gone beyond your imagination.
Tell me about it....... just one drive through that place, got our car's Exhaust cracked. You bottom out at almost every odd place. The potholes are worse than craters!! Infact through some turns in the ghats, u dont see no roads at all, trucks turn turtle, thanks to the potholes. TERRIBLE.. *
The best part is we've gotta do that stretch one more time this week. God help our car! *

shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 13:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]people power will soon kick in
All I can say is AMEN to that!
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 17:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ Oct. 11 2004,08:34)]Hopefully, it should be an old gov't in the next few months at the rate discord is building up!
Sooner the better. Ajmat,This is not the Bangalore we saw a year ago.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 17:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

And the surprising ( or may be not so surprising ) is that these roads get repaired every year on paper.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 18:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]And the surprising ( or may be not so surprising ) is that these roads get repaired every year on paper.
An exmple is bannerghatta road. When I came to bangalore there was a stretch that didn't have tar at all... all dirt and stones. Then somehow a raod was built and everything was hunkly dory for a while. Then came the rains and potholes.... and after a protest and road block, they have filled the potholes with dirt and stones. Parts of the road now look exactly the same as they were a few months ago (before being built). Nice setup these guys have of minting money by the way of making roads!!!

They must've spent zillions of rupees on that already... Why in the world can't they build concrete roads?
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 01:46   #10
Team-BHP Support

Ok people, I needed some latest advice on this stretch. Planning to do this route (Bijapur->Bilgi->Hubli) to enter Goa via the karwar coast.

Could you guys tell me how the road conditions are now? What will be a decent speed on these roads?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote