Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th February 2016, 17:01   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Indian highways: When to hit 100+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binum View Post
............. Even though we can drive in excess of 120km/hr , my opinion is that 100-110 is the best range on 4-lane roads. Now with lot of safety features added like ABS, Airbag and EBD these speeds are safe. Of course as other members pointed out , condition of roads , traffic and visibility plays an important role...................
I hope you don't mind what I say, it is said with the best intention. Allow me to share with you some words my father told me almost 30 years ago when he taught me how to drive- he told me that I must learn to drive not just for myself or people in my car, but also for other drivers and people and animals on our Indian roads. In short, I was part of an ecosystem with responsibility towards others.

What does this mean? That ABS, Airbags and EBD mean nothing if they are a reason people feel they can drive faster in India.

There is a fundamental issue here- these are meant not to make you drive faster, they are mean to save lives. In fact they are meant to save two sets of lives, yours and in the case of ABS and EBD the lives of people and animals on the road. If despite all these technological advances people are still driving at 100+ kmph on Indian roads and, while they themselves may survive an accident unscathed, even if they harm (far less kill) a single person or animal on the road, it means they have failed. When I hear of incidents where people say they were driving at 110-120+ and a dog jumped out, or a person jumped on the road, well my question would be, what were you doing driving at 110-120+ in the first place?

The way I see it, there may be a few (very few!) brilliant roads in India where in theory where you can drive fast- the Delhi Agra highway is as good as any US highway I have driven on (and I have driven extensively).

But, unless lives are at stake, there is no good reason to go above 100 kmph in our country. None whatsoever.

Last edited by C'estlavie : 16th February 2016 at 17:06.
C'estlavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 17:15   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
The way I see it, there may be a few (very few!) brilliant roads in India where in theory where you can drive fast- the Delhi Agra highway is as good as any US highway I have driven on (and I have driven extensively).
I do the YE about three times every year (up and down). Have you noticed the breaks in the highway fencing, mostly by locals, and also the ominous Blue Bull (Nilgai) warnings. Also, many people think that the LH lane is only for lorries and buses. Only the other day they just would not listen. I almost lost my temper.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 17:21   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
......... Have you noticed the breaks in the highway fencing, mostly by locals.. ..
That's a reason I believe we desperately need to have our governments demarcating, fencing off and protecting land within 50 meters of at least our newer highways. When you accept construction next to highways it's asking for trouble.

The Meerut bypass used to be a proper bypass. Now, with shops and residences right next to the road, it's become a piece of %^&* stretch no different from pieces of %^&* rural urban developments in North India, specifically UP.
C'estlavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 17:33   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Also, many people think that the LH lane is only for lorries and buses.
More the number of lanes you provide, it will create a sort of criss cross drive/ride as Lorries will occupy each of the lanes provided to them and it is left to others to squeeze their way out. Hopefully the cars dont bang into each other
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote