Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Does your partner belt up / wear a helmet willingly?
Yes 52 62.65%
No 17 20.48%
Sometimes 14 16.87%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th May 2014, 00:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Most people here agree that the biggest morons on our roads are the ones who ride with helmets for themselves but nothing for the kids or the pillion rider behind them.

There js another category of idiots who can share the #1 spot on our roads- all those who sit their children on their laps in the front seat ! One doesn't an accident to get into a dangerous situation here. An emergency stop or sudden brakes are enough to hurt these kids sitting on the laps

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 05:22   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Don't they love their partners? Pillion rider's safety?

The only reason for this behavior is their reason for wearing the helmets.

If you ask 10 folks about why they are wearing a helmet, I swear that 8 will say that they want to get away from cops at the signals. And cops don't care if your pillion rider is wearing a helmet or not. As far as the one who is riding the bike wears one, they are fine. And that is what most of these folks out there want too.

For them, helmet is just a way to escape from those cops not a safety measure.

Sad, but true!

best
R-Six
R-Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 10:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Rishiraj Singh, the State Transport Commissioner in Kerala had recently proposed making the helmets mandatory for pillion riders too as well as fining those who wear the cap-like helmets. Hopefully, if one state starts this move, others might follow.

Another issue is unavailability of proper-sized helmets for children. Even if someone wants to buy a helmet for their kid, you would not find something that fits them properly. Unfortunately, this would also prevent a rule mandating all riders in a 2-wheeler to wear helmets.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 17:32   #34
BHPian

My opinion related to the way these 2 wheelers drive with the pillion and risking the life of everyone is, even the pillion rider should have the guts to tell the rider not to drive such rash.
The pillion rider is equally responsible for the sad stories we hear, when they observer the rider is not driving in senses, they should stop the vehicle scold, coach. Even if the rider doesn't understand, take a stance and stop riding with the person.

I do the same when I am in an autorickshaw, if the driver is not driving properly, I stop the auto get down and walk away paying the bill. If he doesn't respect my life I have the right to respect my life and do all means to be safe.
RishiSuri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 19:19   #35
BHPian

Note: I understand that this is a thread to promote pillion rider's safety, but I would like to bring the whole concept of road safety being followed in today's India into the picture here.

How much ever we try to educate people about traffic rules, it goes in vain.

The reason is simple - "What will happen to me if I don't follow rules and safety measures? Yeah probably I would face a minor accident with a broken fender or a dent. I can start arguing with the other guy on the road and blame him for the incident. I don't even mind picking up a quarrel with him right in the middle of the road blocking the entire traffic behind." This is the thought that stays at the back of the head of many of the commuters in India.

People don't see the bigger picture here. What will happen if I sustain permanent disability after the accident? Who will look after my family thereon? What will I do for a living thereon? If I sustain a major injury, will I be able to bear the hospital expenses?

How many two wheeler riders do we see cutting into the traffic between the bumper of two cars? How many riders do we see jumping the traffic signal even if there are 5 seconds for the signal to turn green? I have seen many people scolding the other guy on the opposite lane trying to take a right turn when the signal is already amber for him, and do the same stupid thing themselves at the next signal. They tend to forget (rather happily ignore ) the fact that the traffic rules are common for everyone.
samcan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 20:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

I had a visit to Ernakulam for the last two weeks. Drove in and around Ernakulam and all the way to Munnar. The driving conditions are pathetic with people simply driving as if they're walking. Some vehicle came and hit my car's rear side and the tail lamp unit broke. There was no other damage luckily. I'm still not sure who hit as I was a bus overtaking immediately followed by a gentleman on a bike shouting some abuses.

I would request all bhpians visiting Kerala to be extra cautious as the driving conditions are on the extreme as well as the attitude of the people.

Had the tail lamp unit replaced at Vagtune, amounting to 3K.
Attached Images

Last edited by nitinbose : 24th May 2014 at 20:36.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 10:37   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Most people here agree that the biggest morons on our roads are the ones who ride with helmets for themselves but nothing for the kids or the pillion rider behind them.

There js another category of idiots who can share the #1 spot on our roads- all those who sit their children on their laps in the front seat ! One doesn't an accident to get into a dangerous situation here. An emergency stop or sudden brakes are enough to hurt these kids sitting on the laps

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
So true!, it irks me to no end to see this happening. Sometimes the kid is on the lap of the person sitting in the front seat, or even worse the kid is standing up with his poor little head centimetres from the dash. Even a minor sudden brake could result in kids head against dash.

I do not know if its a lack of awareness, education or just care-a-damn attitude that is responsible. I do understand that bikers sometimes have no other option but to carry their whole family on the bike (for economical reasons), but, really, I still think that the law should change and be enforced strictly and such things should not be allowed.Enforcement is the key!.

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I see a whole load of injuries as a result of people coming off bikes, it is really sad to think think that so many of these could have been avoided with safer riding styles, helmets and proper protection gear. Maybe showing gory pictures and sensitisation, before handing over licenses may help. Also, we as public should really be campaigning for better roads and infrastructure, which is better able to manage the traffic problems with the ever increasing number of vehicles on the roads.
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 11:07   #38
BHPian

Unhappy Re: It was my ignorance

I'm being honest here, (read I was stupid).
I never used to wear helmet during my college days and like any other teenager even I had many reasons behind to avoid. Now I realize all those reasons were false and the decisive factor was; I wasn't aware how dangerous an accident can be and how much damage can a small fall will lead to.
But then what made the change was every small accidents that I came across on road had made me realize how stupid I'm. If my parents were living with me they would have warned me for sure but gain I feel happy and thank my stars for the late realization at-least.
Now whenever I see kids on two wheeler weaving next to my bumper I get scared from my toe to head and I wish I could offer some advice. I make a point to emphasize the importance of helmet every time to my cousins at-least.

But then yet where I couldn't succeed fully is to get my better half buckle up all the times. She wears a seat belt only on highways and not in the city. And as mentioned by several other bhpians it will be a silent drive all along if I had to force her to buckle up. The main culprit here is the mentality that nothing will happen to me / us. People fail to understand for every moron out on the road there will be an innocent receiver who need to take the blow.

Cheers!
treadmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 13:31   #39
BHPian

I carry two helmets on my bike and I don't start the bike until the pillion wears the helmet. I don't budge if refused or called names and so on. The most common reply I get is " God will protect me"
The sad part is, most of the riders do not strap their helmets.
Servegaar is offline   Reply With Quote