Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th June 2014, 11:38   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore-Mysore highway loses some of its humps

Did this route last week there has been reduction in number of humps .Spoke to a policeman who was on duty due to VIP movement, he said due with CM being a frequent traveller to Mysore and using the highway road was spruced.I saw 100's of cops all the way to Mysore managing exit points and hanging around waiting for the cm to pass.Guess will be good to have CM move to whitefield to improve situation there as well.
masin4 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 11:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masin4 View Post
Did this route last week there has been reduction in number of humps .Spoke to a policeman who was on duty due to VIP movement, he said due with CM being a frequent traveller to Mysore and using the highway road was spruced.I saw 100's of cops all the way to Mysore managing exit points and hanging around waiting for the cm to pass.Guess will be good to have CM move to whitefield to improve situation there as well.
The CM should travel in a public transport bus as well as self driven car to understand what turmoil the public is going through everyday.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 12:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masin4 View Post
It feels like the number of humps had reduced .But the reality is something different.Still we can find around 45 humps between Bidadi and Srirangapatana. Some new humps had come up where small roads are joining the highway. It will be foolish for us to think that these humps will get reduced as both sides of this highway number of villages are increasing.
commonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 07:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

I did Blr-Mys over the weekend and hardly noticed any of the speed breakers that have been removed. Some of the existing ones, the rumblers are simply bone breakers.

The biggest pain is that these rumblers slow down traffic so much that there is always a traffic jam. The worst of the lot is the one at the turn off to Innovative Film City and the one in front of Adigas Maddur.

That said a few new one's have come up already, the location precisely is between SriRangapattana and Mandya en-route Bangalore.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 12:31   #50
BHPian

An alternate route !This must be better route if we get it done at the earliest.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/36688531.cms
commonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 14:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

In today's paper (The Hindu), the PWD Minister has given a statement that all un-necessary humps on the Mysore Highway will be removed, however no timeline given.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 14:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

The humps were necessary for whoever had them put up
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 14:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

As far as I knew, this was all a scam to divert tourists into noticing and entering popular eateries on that stretch. Like srishiva said, the unnecessary ones will probably mean the speedbreakers which aren't in front of any eateries. Those will be removed but the ones in front of eateries or attractions (such as Innovative film city) will be spared.

Those continuous rumble strips outside Innovative film city turning are a menace not only in the Bangalore-Mysore direction but even in the opposite direction (returning to Bangalore). Rule-abiding safe drivers slow down for the "boat ride" on those continuous hump series, but some rash KSRTC and private buses just blast through the humps at 80-90-100 kmph without bothering to stop. If they misjudge the vehicles who slow down, they will actually plough into those cars and cause a catastrophe!! Whenever I slow down here, I keep looking into my mirrors to ensure there is no heavy vehicle behind me.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 08:13   #54
BHPian

I do this stretch almost every other week. I've counted 120 speed bumps. Here's my solution - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...maps-apps.html (Marking Speed Breakers on Maps & Apps)
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 09:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Rule-abiding safe drivers slow down for the "boat ride" on those continuous hump series, but some rash KSRTC and private buses just blast through the humps at 80-90-100 kmph without bothering to stop. If they misjudge the vehicles who slow down, they will actually plough into those cars and cause a catastrophe!! Whenever I slow down here, I keep looking into my mirrors to ensure there is no heavy vehicle behind me.
I fully concur with your paranoia at being rear-ended for at these speedbreakers. My eyes are also drawn irrestibly with a morbid fascination towards the rear view mirror while slowing down itself!

In my limited experience, the majority of the older interstate buses, i.e. the vintage AL and Tata chassis ones do NOT bother to slow down AT ALL, and in fact probably pass through 'smoother' on the rumble-strips at 60+ km/hr than at 10 km/hr!

Of course, the cost is borne by the rear-seat passengers and the bus suspension itself but who cares about that?
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 14:24   #56
BHPian

I travelled on the Mysore - Bangalore Highway on 3rd June 2014 and was shocked to see so many speed breakers, Having gone through this thread, some of them were removed before our trip on the road. Nowhere have I seen so many speed breakers on highways.

I have noticed speed breakers on NH4 in Karnataka as well as on State Highways. The reason for these speed breakers, I am told, is that bus drivers often drink and drive at high speeds thereby causing themselves to be a danger on the roads as well as to the passengers they carry. I am sure that there are other ways to curb overspeeding.

Glad that the Government has commenced removing the speed breakers
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 12:42   #57
BHPian

Some progress in the road upgrade work -

Survey on project to upgrade it to six-lane to begin next week. Actual work to be complete by 2017-18

link - http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/42051488.cms
ashbhat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 14:42   #58
BHPian

Reduced? To what? I did this route the first time a couple of weeks back. This must have been the highest number of humps for the shortest route anywhere in India. I thought they had one for every 500 meters. Absolutely frustrating

If anything, they should do a proper analysis to determine whether the humps are required and remove the rest.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 16:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
in fact probably pass through 'smoother' on the rumble-strips at 60+ km/hr than at 10 km/hr!

Of course, the cost is borne by the rear-seat passengers and the bus suspension itself but who cares about that?
Completely offtopic but could not resist adding it here because of the similarity.

Some 20 years back during our high school days, one of my friend had a hero honda. There was this famous college in Guwahati, which had its two gates (entry and exit) in a distance of 100 metres from each other abutting the main road. In front of each gate, had rumble strips each having 5-6 speed breakers.

My friend had this idea that instead jumping up and down 5 times for each breaker, there will be a particular speed at which if you ride, you go up only once and come down only once.

However he tried he could not find that magic speed. But that did not stop him from trying everyday.

Slowing down to crawl in front of the gates is not an option because of all the girls who need to be impressed.
fordday is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 16:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Completely offtopic but could not resist adding it here because of the similarity.

Some 20 years back during our high school days, one of my friend had a hero honda. There was this famous college in Guwahati, which had its two gates (entry and exit) in a distance of 100 metres from each other abutting the main road. In front of each gate, had rumble strips each having 5-6 speed breakers.

My friend had this idea that instead jumping up and down 5 times for each breaker, there will be a particular speed at which if you ride, you go up only once and come down only once.

However he tried he could not find that magic speed. But that did not stop him from trying everyday.

Slowing down to crawl in front of the gates is not an option because of all the girls who need to be impressed.
I saw a KSRTC Volvo take a normal speed hump between Srirangapatna and Mandya flat out, the body barely moved up and down. I had slowed down to ~15kmph whereas he was clearly around 80kmph. No wonder KSRTC volvos are in such bad shape

No KSRTC bus bothers to slow down while coming down from the railway crossing bridge near Kanva dam. Its totally unsafe to have a bus follow you around these places.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote