Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 3rd June 2014, 21:51   #1
BHPian

Default Marking Speed Breakers on Maps & Apps

How much information is too much information? Well, I'm sure I haven't got to that point yet. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, one of my regular routes takes me from Bangalore to Coorg via Mysore. There are about 120 speed breakers on this stretch. Yeah.. I counted! Some of these are marked, and some aren't. And those that are marked aren't always useful. Some of these are even around turns! So I applied some project management tools. Speed breakers are known unknowns. I've always believed that there signs put up near a speed breaker need to be put up much earlier. I"ve also wanted to know about these 'fast arriving speed breakers as early as possible, even before the sign. And also know how much of road is available before the next bone crusher. It allows me to slow down sufficiently before this thing rises up in my sights. More importantly, it allows the women to sleep, allowing me to enjoy the drive and the music!

I've always been in search of an app that could map out speed breakers for me. And I came across one recently. It's called Geotracker - on Android. It is basically a mapping tool where you can record your tracks and also add points of interest. Yup, in this case, my only points of interest were speed breakers. The better half helped map the road on our onward journey. The return journey was awesome. I knew exactly when the next jump would be. I wish MMI, and other dash GPS software had the ability to add a layer to the maps so that these are visible.

There is some deviation in the recorded POI because not all speed breakers on the ongoing journey are also found on your return, especially if it is two lane traffic. But it gives you a general idea of what lays ahead. Of course you have the option to fine tune it further on the return journey. And also show the better half all the speed breakers that she missed

I wish the app had the option to also emit an audible beep so that the chances of missing a breaker are less. The ears get part of the work, Sort of like how Sygic maps warn you when there is a sharp curve ahead... or when you exceed the speed limit of that area.

As these maps and POI can be easily shared using the app; it would be awesome if this could be a collaborative effort, from different parts of the country, mapping out difficult stretches. Maybe there are other points (that are not currently mapped) that we could gradually add.

If it made sense.
triedeverything is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 22:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Marking Speed Breakers on Maps & Apps

A very interesting idea.

But would this not cause an issue if they built a new speed breaker overnight. You are coming along confident that there is no speed breaker and there it is, a small mountain right in front of you.
bblost is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 23:00   #3

We drive to distant places once a month.

My wife is an excellent bharat natyam dancer when we travel. She gives very evocative hand signals for 'slow down' (more or less continuous), 'speed breaker!', 'cow!', 'eeee! dog!' (she's not too concerned about humans :-), 'honk' and an increasing range of other warnings.

Despite this, I hit at least one speed breaker on every journey. So, thank you very much for this tip!
Iksvaku is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 08:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A very interesting idea.

But would this not cause an issue if they built a new speed breaker overnight. You are coming along confident that there is no speed breaker and there it is, a small mountain right in front of you.
Yes sir, but at least the return journey would be smooth
That said, this is not a substitute for being alert. Like the first thread says, it helps you take care of the known unknowns. A new speed breaker would probably be classified as an unknown unknown. Just like a cow or anything else that might suddenly appear before you. The PMBOK might not agree, but just saying

And since a picture speaks better (This was taken offline, far away from the location. So when you are on the road with GPS on, there's a blue arrow that shows your position on the road as well. You can zoom in or out to see as many 'disturbers' as you like.)
Marking Speed Breakers on Maps & Apps-screenshot_20140604081702.png

Last edited by triedeverything : 4th June 2014 at 08:28.
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 08:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Another solution is to put a radar or lidar on the car, which will show the distance to a speed-breaker. This can even identify any object such as stray animals, people, stones on road. This is the same equipment used by self-driving car.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 09:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
...in search of an app that could map out speed breakers for me. And I came across one recently. It's called Geotracker - on Android.
Tell me, is this going to work with inputs from multiple users in a community effort, such as on Waze? On roads I travel every day, I know where the bumps are. On travelling long-distance on unknown highways, the placement of bumps put in 2 years ago may have shifted today - or even been eliminated. So how would this get updated for my convenience?
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 09:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Tell me, is this going to work with inputs from multiple users in a community effort, such as on Waze? On roads I travel every day, I know where the bumps are. On traveling long-distance on unknown highways, the placement of bumps put in 2 years ago may have shifted today - or even been eliminated. So how would this get updated for my convenience?
I haven't explored it fully. But I don't think this has what you are expecting (like Waze). But let's take your scenario. You are traveling on a highway that I just did yesterday. I have mapped the bumps. I can share the map with you. You don't have to do it again.

But again, this is a GPS tracking app being used for something I want. I doubt it was designed with speed bumps in mind.
triedeverything is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 10:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

In the highway, you can come to know about speed breakers just by looking at vehicle far ahead of you. If the tail light glows red brightly for a long time and is followed by it bouncing up and down, yeah, there's a speed breaker there!
smartcat is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 10:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
In the highway, you can come to know about speed breakers just by looking at vehicle far ahead of you. If the tail light glows red brightly for a long time and is followed by it bouncing up and down, yeah, there's a speed breaker there!
That's what I used to do. But it's not easy to find someone traveling at the same pace as you are. Also, you are hoping they saw it in time and hoping their lights work, (I've seen trucks that don't even have any sort of lights.) And when you say lights, it's not very effective during the day.
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 10:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

How about an app where everyone contributes; making it as upto date and detailed as possible. Something that makes it so easy that users cannot refuse to contribute citing reasons like too much of a pain to stop, note down, upload the location? Perhaps use the phone's multi axis gyroscope and other sensors, to detect when your car or bike goes over a speed breaker by emulating its impact on those sensors and storing that (with margins for deviation ofcourse) as a reference point, the next time your car goes over a speed breaker, your phone detects that, asks you to confirm it is a speed breaker, and then geo tags that speed breaker for everyone else's benefit

I am not a programming geek so I have no clue if this is plausible anyone out there think this can be done and whether it is worth it?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th June 2014 at 10:49.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 11:36   #11
BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread. In most of my journeys my wife is my navigator, and major part of her work is to keep an eye for the speed breakers.

Every time I hit a speed breaker, I wished I had an app which would notify me about the speed breaker(just like turn indicators in the GPS device).

I will install Geotracker, and hopefully in the near future we will have maps(may be Google maps) along with speed breakers marked on them.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 12:44   #12
BHPian

That's really a brilliant idea, really liked that. I dread the Mysore road only for the nasty humps and have been taking the Kanakpura route for quite some time now.

Does this Geotracker charge any amount for using their app?
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 13:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
That's really a brilliant idea, really liked that. I dread the Mysore road only for the nasty humps and have been taking the Kanakpura route for quite some time now.

Does this Geotracker charge any amount for using their app?
Thank you Its a free app. Only battery charge goes

I tried the Kanakpura route too. Very scenic and green. It's much better when you look at it from the humps. But it is single lane... and for those staying in the north, it's an additional 30 odd kilometers to the drive. Also, when you hit Mysore, you have to go through the city. But on Mysore Road, you can take the ring road or the Ilwala bypass and avoid the bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 4th June 2014, 14:19   #14
BHPian

Doesn't Waze already have a function for recording disruptions such as police presence or accidents etc.? Can't this functionality be used to record speed-bumps, so that drivers behind oneself may be warned in time?

And, like someone above said, if that speedbump had been removed overnight, the net tine someone drives in that spot and Waze warns you about the "disruption", there is an option available to say that the disruption no longer exists, and automagicaly everyone else comes to know of it immediately.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 14:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Doesn't Waze already have a function for recording disruptions such as police presence or accidents etc.?

Cheers
True. The only reason I didn't use Waze is that you need a continuous network connection. Geotracker works only on GPS.
I'm also not sure if everyone using Waze would appreciate classifying every road hump as a disruption.